Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The God Delusion

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Huh? Wycliffe translated the NT Greek word ekklesia as congregation in his English Bible. When asked why he didn't translate ekklesia as church as was common among English speakers he replied to the effect that the word church in the vocabulary of his day had come to mean clergy, a completely erroneous interpretation of ekklesia which literally means "the called out".
Does not answer why you are using Greek instead of Hebrew.

Chapter and verse???
And remember - HE was speaking Aramaic (Hebrew offshoot) at the time.
Private conversation, we have many, the LORD and I.

1Co 14:1-5 Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. (2) For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries. (3) But he who prophesies speaks edification and exhortation and comfort to men. (4) He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the ekklesia. (5) I wish you all spoke with tongues, but even more that you prophesied; for he who prophesies is greater than he who speaks with tongues, unless indeed he interprets, that the ekklesia may receive edification.

Hmmm. I think, if you want to convert someone to your own way of belief, you have to start from where they are, not where you are.

Best wishes, 2RM.
There is a saying pertinent to this subject and that is know your enemy. One has only to consider real life war. If you have no idea what the enemy is doing there is little chance of you defeating them. The most important part of any war is the strategy room. If the enemy is off the shores of the USA no good sending ships to Africa.

Richard Dawkins, knows science very well, but he doesnt know a thing about Christian faith and christian spirituality, and it shows. This is why Richard Dawkins left the faith.
Not true. I believe his father was a minister in some denomination so he has a background of religion/Christianity.

So, the well known atheist, Richard Dawkins, published this book a few years ago, and I consider it required reading for every believer. Unless we know the arguments put to us by the other side, we cannot hope to counter them. If you've read his book, what do you make of it?

Best wishes 2RM.
I think the most important thing is to be equipped in the area that you are ministering in. I debate atheists on the internet so I have a section of my library devoted to books about atheism and atheists.

Another area I am well versed in is Church History. I love history and I love studying the word as it relates to the church. A large section of my library is on this topic as I wrote a dissertation on the subject for a Ph.D. Before I did this I accepted what I was told but discovered what I was told wasn't necessarily the truth.

One of my favourite verses is Study to show yourself approved to GOD...... (not to man.)

I think the most important thing is to be equipped in the area that you are ministering in. I debate atheists on the internet so I have a section of my library devoted to books about atheism and atheists.

Another area I am well versed in is Church History. I love history and I love studying the word as it relates to the church. A large section of my library is on this topic as I wrote a dissertation on the subject for a Ph.D. Before I did this I accepted what I was told but discovered what I was told wasn't necessarily the truth.

One of my favourite verses is Study to show yourself approved to GOD...... (not to man.)
If we were totally in charge of the battle we would prepare more for our actions.
Matthew 10:17 kjv
17. But beware of men: for they will deliver you up to the councils, and they will scourge you in their synagogues;
18. And ye shall be brought before governors and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them and the Gentiles.
19. But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak.

We are wise as serpents and harmless as doves, but the battle belongs to the Lord.

eddif

Really? You're a PhD and you don't understand that "study" in 2 Timothy 2:15 doesn't mean the same as "study" in modern English? Here is the same verse in other translations that are written in toady's English...

"Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth." NIV

"Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth." ESV

"Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a worker who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth." NASB

"Make every effort to present yourself before God as a proven worker who does not need to be ashamed, teaching the message of truth accurately." NET

"Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved by him, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly explaining the word of truth." NRSV

I watched a video exposing the freemasons. In it, was a list of notable masons and one of them was none other than Charles Darwin. In order to be a mason, one must acknowledge the existence of a higher being. That being ultimately is Satan. The guy making the video said masons hate Christ so much, that the most effective way to counter Christianity is to produce as many atheists as possible. He said while atheists laugh at Christians, masons laugh at and propagate atheism. If Darwin was indeed a mason then how deceived are atheists and how can you ever enlighten such blindness? Yet we are commanded to do so.

As I said, unless we know the arguments put forth by the other side, we cannot hope to counter them. Consider it a philosophical, rather than a theological, duty. And I have to say, some of his criticisms are valid, and have informed my own faith.
I find it so interesting that you claim some criticisms made by an atheist have informed your own faith but you don't bother giving any example. Why don't you educate us?

Someone famous (I forget who) said that 'To understand all, is to forgive all'.

Best wishes, 2RM.
They are in error. God understands the Devil thoroughly and doesn’t forgive him.

In fact, when one thoroughly understands a evil hearted man, one is less likely to overlook the deeds.

Hmmm. I think, if you want to convert someone to your own way of belief, you have to start from where they are, not where you are.

Best wishes, 2RM.

That is patently untrue. You must start from where you are.

Matthew 5
14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.

16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.../

1 Timothy 4:11-15
11 These things command and teach.

12 Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.

13 Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine.

14 Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery.

15 Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all.../

Read those twice, Brother. we're to set an example for the world that they be able to see Christ in us.

This is not done on their level. It is done on the level of you in Christ, Christ in you. You my friend, are maybe the only Bible that these people ever read. Best to give understanding through demonstration.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Apart from the fact that it is God who does the converting, I agree.

Incidentally, I am not so affeared of philosophy as the authors of the Bible seem to be. Philosophy is grounded on logical argument, and who but God could have created logic?

Best wishes, 2RM.
Are you suggesting that the authors of the Bible seem to be afraid of philosophy? That is certainly not the case.

Another book well worth the reading is Carl Sagan's 'The Demon Haunted World.' He is less strident than Dawkins, but nevertheless paints a telling picture of what happens when religion is allowed to run havoc, unconstrained by lesser concerns.

Best wishes, 2RM.
What do you mean by “unconstrained by lesser concerns”? A much better book that will add much needed context to anything Sagan, Dawkins, or any other atheist says about the evils of religion, particularly Christianity, is John Dickson’s Bullies and Saints. Or, almost as good, but certainly surprising coming from an atheist, is Tom Holland’s Dominion.

Back