Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

The Insecurity of Calvinism

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I agree that predestination and faith are not mutually exclusive. One is an act of God, the other an act of the believer in Christ. However one cannot become a believer without being predestined by God. ;)

There is no insecurity for those who have an understanding. Indeed there is no contrariness either.

Romans 8:29-30: "For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover, whom he did predestinate, them he also called; and whom he called, them he also justified; and whom he justified, them he also glorified."
So the final purpose of that eternal election whereby God chooses His people is that He may glorify them through Christ to the honor of His own Name.

Scripture itself teaches that election rests solely upon the decree of a sovereign God, and has nothing to do with any action man must first perform.

Two Greek words, contained in the original of the New Testament plainly show this basic idea of sovereign choice in election. EKLEKTOS is an adjective signifying "the chosen". This word is used in such passages as Matt. 24:22,24; Romans 8:33; Col. 3:12. The same word is translated "chosen" in Romans 16:13 and Rev. 17:14 among other places. EKLOGE is a noun, meaning "that which is chosen". It is used in Romans 9:11; 11:5; 7:28; I Thess. 1:4; II Peter 1:10. Election is a very Scriptural doctrine.

Psalm 115:3, "But our God is in the heavens; He does whatever He pleases." Isaiah 46:10, "Declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things which have not been done, saying, My purpose will be established, and I will accomplish all My good pleasure;" Dan.4:35,"And all the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing, but He does according to His will in the host of heaven and among the inhabitants of earth; and no one can ward off His hand Or say to Him, What hast Thou done?"

I think it wise to tread softly when trying to determine the Sovereignty of God. Scripture tells us that God saves whom He will, He calls whom He will, He chooses whom He will. Calvinism holds to those Scriptures.

Without the wooing of the Holy Spirit, no one comes to Christ. When one is wooed --convicted-- of a need for salvation then indeed, he is one of the "elect". How can God do this, you ask? Well, He is God. But to give an idea as to why there might be a need for such delineation, may I offer these thoughts? We know that in the days of Noah there was much inbreeding from the nephilim, thus God destroyed all those of that lineage. We do not know if others wanted to but choose not to follow Noah into the Ark other than his relatives (which I might add could be a major victory if you think about how most families function! :) ).
Scripture tells us as in the days of Noah were... so will the end times be. This could mean that there was and is a defilement of the race (read HUMAN race) by the devil once again, and thus not all are "elected" to be saved. People who seem to be totally human to us, may very well be demons or otherwise non members of the human race. The devil nor any of his demons can sense their wrong doing (yet?) and thus cannot be saved.

As for the idea that Calvinists don't witness, well, all the ones I have met do. Calvinists don't know who God will save and who will not be saved. It is not ours to know. It is our duty to witness to everyone and leave the rest to God. That GOD does know who will be saved and who won't be -- who will choose Christ and who won't-- in no way limits man's ability to choose. So what we have is two sets of unbelievers, those who are never wooed and those who are wooed but choose against Christ.

I'm sure we will fully understand once we fully have "the mind of Christ." :heart

Last edited by a moderator:
To debate this double predestination thing would be futile since as you have said, no one knows but God. Should we not rather hope that all will be saved and pray for all men?

That's sort of like saying we shouldn't debate creation because no one knows but God.

Some of us just believe what the bible says; others not. Nothing is more worthy of honest debate. It's only bad if the debate becomes dishonest.

Yes, we should pray for all men, because we never know whos heart God will soften to receive the gospel. Any man may be revealed to be a brother. We who are saved were once dead in sin, just like the remaining lost souls in the world, and who recognized us? Pray for them and evangelize them. If God disposes them to believe, then they will. If not, then we, following Christ, are mocked and hated.

While we might think it would be nice if everyone could be saved, I am sure that that would not properly bring glory to God. If it could, then I assume that’s exactly how God would have planned things. But we know that that is NOT what God has planned. The bible says so. God does all things according to His good pleasure:

The LORD hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil. (Proverbs 16:4)

Who can stop Him?

-HisSheep

=HisSheep;575878]That's sort of like saying we shouldn't debate creation because no one knows but God.
Well He does know how He created everything and we don't. Shall we debate it or is it enough to know He did it.
Some of us just believe what the bible says; others not. Nothing is more worthy of honest debate. It's only bad if the debate becomes dishonest.
Double predestination is a worthy debate? What can we gain by trying to divide the wheat from the tares wherein we endanger ourselves of falling into the condemnation of the devil. Only God can remove leviathon. Is it wise to argue who is the better prognosticators of God's will? It's His grace.
Yes, we should pray for all men, because we never know whos heart God will soften to receive the gospel. Any man may be revealed to be a brother. We who are saved were once dead in sin, just like the remaining lost souls in the world, and who recognized us? Pray for them and evangelize them. If God disposes them to believe, then they will. If not, then we, following Christ, are mocked and hated.
Well said and I know that being mocked is where we need to be the most understanding. I believe where we have been persecuted is where we have earned clout with God to pray for our persecutors.
While we might think it would be nice if everyone could be saved, I am sure that that would not properly bring glory to God.
Why not?
If it could, then I assume that’s exactly how God would have planned things. But we know that that is NOT what God has planned. The bible says so. God does all things according to His good pleasure:
The LORD hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil. (Proverbs 16:4)
I will concede you are right about what we read in scripture. But for me personally, since I didn't deserve life anymore than others deserved death I do not feel I should be seen by God saying it's okay that others perish since I am not one of them. While God knows best I doubt He wants me to patronize Him.
Who can stop Him?
Maybe He is waiting to see who will try by interceding for others.

Revelation 3:20
Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me

There might appear to some to be some basics above that Jesus has to do.

A. Stand at the door of the mans house
B. Knock
C. Speak

Without the above there is no door knocked on. No voice heard. No opening to be made.

There is no amount of freewill that can force Jesus to come to the door, knock or speak of anyone.

Even then ones ears must be opened, ones eyes must be opened, one must be armed and afoot to have any response whatsoever, all and again the workings of Jesus within that person.

Jesus did also purposefully HIDE the Gospel from many! The majority in fact.

Matthew 11:25
At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.

Many things in the Gospel and Word in general are hidden in plain sight.

There were also things hidden from the disciples:

Luke 9:
44 Let these sayings sink down into your ears: for the Son of man shall be delivered into the hands of men.
45 But they understood not this saying, and it was hid from them, that they perceived it not: and they feared to ask him of that saying.

How many times have YOU read the Gospels and wondered what in the world is Jesus talking about? I have many many many times. MANY....for YEARS...decades even.

No one can hear until GOD IN CHRIST shows them, PERIOD. The day I learned was the day GOD SHOWED ME how utterly stupid I was, and still am. Much easier to hear that way, thankfully. Pride and arrogant false knowledge is directly from the devil and demonic blinding. When God shows you that fact YOU WILL IN FACT HEAR from that moment on and you will also hear a whole lot more than you bargained for in the beginning.

You see it is not just the person, it is also the BLINDER at work...in....

EVERYONE....like the fact or not. You may not be able to HEAR this and you can not until God shows you. The scriptures can tell freewillers all the day long that the god of this world BLINDS MINDS of people so they can't hear and can't be saved. Yet those freewillers can't hear! They too are deaf. Deaf and blind to the open facts hidden right in front of their noses.

Most of you don't even know who your enemies are, and even less that God does work both sides of the ledgers.

In the majority of people it is GOD HIMSELF who elects to raise up the BLINDER, the 'god of this world' in their MINDS so that they can NOT hear. As much as you'd like them to hear, it's pointless if that is what God has elected to do. You could shout the Gospel from the treetops, and the god of this world will only strengthen in the minds of those people in whom God has elected to raise the god of this world to blind their minds.

Look! This scripture is right in front of your eyes, yet you can not see it or hear it:

Romans 11:8
(According as it is written, God hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear; ) unto this day.

I read that scripture for 2 decades before God showed me the obvious and open facts. There is the person and there is the spirit of slumber that has been placed upon them.

Yep, pretty simple. But you can show this to freewillers and they will deny God did it, blame the people only and ignore the fact that there is a spirit of slumber also involved with that person.

Seriously, I desire that all believers could read better and that all people could hear and believe the Gospel. But in all the dialog that I had with believers of every sort not a single one could decipher the simplicity of the matter above until God showed me. I never heard it before until God showed me, opened my own eyes and ears to understandings.

And many of you cannot hear this either, though it's a simple fact, openly hid, right before your eyes. This post, the scriptures, none of it matters until God shows you. And if you can't hear, read or see, then God has in fact elected that you can not by the placement of that same spirit of slumber.

Doesn't mean I don't think you are saved. Not at all. But sometimes people get attacked after salvation much worse than prior. Much much worse.

When you step onto the battlefield, you best know your real enemies, and they are not your fellow supposedly freewill mankind. If you think that is the case you are sorely blinded. Sorely. Did I mention sorely?

Isaiah 44:18
They have not known nor understood: for he hath shut their eyes, that they cannot see; and their hearts, that they cannot understand.

enjoy your dilemma!

smaller

Do you think that a person who has received Christ as Savior and has been "Born again Spiritually" Trusting ONLY in Christ and not his works, but doesn't by into Calvin's theory is a "TRUE Christian? Or an unbeliever, because he doesn't accept Calvin's doctrines???

I agree that predestination and faith are not mutually exclusive. One is an act of God, the other an act of the believer in Christ. However one cannot become a believer without being predestined by God. ;)

There is no insecurity for those who have an understanding. Indeed there is no contrariness either.

Romans 8:29-30: "For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover, whom he did predestinate, them he also called; and whom he called, them he also justified; and whom he justified, them he also glorified."
So the final purpose of that eternal election whereby God chooses His people is that He may glorify them through Christ to the honor of His own Name.

Scripture itself teaches that election rests solely upon the decree of a sovereign God, and has nothing to do with any action man must first perform.

Two Greek words, contained in the original of the New Testament plainly show this basic idea of sovereign choice in election. EKLEKTOS is an adjective signifying "the chosen". This word is used in such passages as Matt. 24:22,24; Romans 8:33; Col. 3:12. The same word is translated "chosen" in Romans 16:13 and Rev. 17:14 among other places. EKLOGE is a noun, meaning "that which is chosen". It is used in Romans 9:11; 11:5; 7:28; I Thess. 1:4; II Peter 1:10. Election is a very Scriptural doctrine.

Psalm 115:3, "But our God is in the heavens; He does whatever He pleases." Isaiah 46:10, "Declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things which have not been done, saying, My purpose will be established, and I will accomplish all My good pleasure;" Dan.4:35,"And all the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing, but He does according to His will in the host of heaven and among the inhabitants of earth; and no one can ward off His hand Or say to Him, What hast Thou done?"

I think it wise to tread softly when trying to determine the Sovereignty of God. Scripture tells us that God saves whom He will, He calls whom He will, He chooses whom He will. Calvinism holds to those Scriptures.

Without the wooing of the Holy Spirit, no one comes to Christ. When one is wooed --convicted-- of a need for salvation then indeed, he is one of the "elect". How can God do this, you ask? Well, He is God. But to give an idea as to why there might be a need for such delineation, may I offer these thoughts? We know that in the days of Noah there was much inbreeding from the nephilim, thus God destroyed all those of that lineage. We do not know if others wanted to but choose not to follow Noah into the Ark other than his relatives (which I might add could be a major victory if you think about how most families function! :) ).
Scripture tells us as in the days of Noah were... so will the end times be. This could mean that there was and is a defilement of the race (read HUMAN race) by the devil once again, and thus not all are "elected" to be saved. People who seem to be totally human to us, may very well be demons or otherwise non members of the human race. The devil nor any of his demons can sense their wrong doing (yet?) and thus cannot be saved.

As for the idea that Calvinists don't witness, well, all the ones I have met do. Calvinists don't know who God will save and who will not be saved. It is not ours to know. It is our duty to witness to everyone and leave the rest to God. That GOD does know who will be saved and who won't be -- who will choose Christ and who won't-- in no way limits man's ability to choose. So what we have is two sets of unbelievers, those who are never wooed and those who are wooed but choose against Christ.

I'm sure we will fully understand once we fully have "the mind of Christ." :heart

Lot's of "speculation" hear guy. Interplay with, nephilim? And, "We do not know if others wanted to but choose not to follow Noah into the Ark other than his relatives."

Eventide, that is a misrepresentation of what HisSheep was saying. This is the common problem I have mentioned in another thread. The common replies to the concepts of Calvinism always involve distortions of Calvinistic teaching. HisSheep was not denying the necessity of faith for salvation. I believe it was you that mentioned a monergistic faith and a synergistic faith. Both of them are still human faith, the only difference is the source. In one, fallen human nature generates the faith that pleases God, in the other, it is the work of God in man by which faith comes. I would be very surprised if HisSheep would deny sola fide. The reformed believed in sola fide 100 years before the Arminians even came to exist.

I was simply correcting what he said about my comments.. and didn't misrepresent anyone.. if anything, he misrepresented what I wrote..

Are you going to deny the simple fact that Calvinists believe and teach that God must regenerate them first in order for them to believe ? Because that's all I said, and that is not misrepresenting what Calvinists believe and teach.

I was simply correcting what he said about my comments.. and didn't misrepresent anyone.. if anything, he misrepresented what I wrote..

Are you going to deny the simple fact that Calvinists believe and teach that God must regenerate them first in order for them to believe ? Because that's all I said, and that is not misrepresenting what Calvinists believe and teach.

If people (who are interested in Calvinism) would, look into the history of Calvin, they might think twice about following the heresies of such a "bad man."In his day, you didn't live long after disagreeing with him. Real bad guy...

Eventide,
I am disappointed and of course feel your conversation is not honest. Maybe this should be my last post, not sure. You wrote the paragraph below and I responded by accusing you of a misrepresentation of Calvinism. Then you denied misrepresenting Calvinism. Can you please show me even one Calvinist that ever answered the question "what must I do to be saved? and answer that question by saying "nothing?" Show me even one. Give it a try. Come one, please show me just one. You obviously will not try, because it was an obvious misrepresentation.

As usual.. many struggle with the most simple aspects of the holy scriptures..

What must I do to be saved ?

a) Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved

b) Nothing

Then I responded to this by mentioning that the Reformed taught "sola fide" long before Arminian theology was in existence. You forgot that little fact, or maybe never thought about it. I don't know. You now seem interested only in winning an argument with those Calvinists. Rather then be honest and reply with integrity, and admit that no Calvinist would ever possibly respond to the question "What must I do to be saved" with the answer "nothing" you reply as below...

So now, rather then reply with honesty, and admit your misrepresentation, you suggest by the word "nothing" you were referring to regeneration. That is a red herring of course. Even if that is true, that you were referring to regeneration, that again is yet another misrepresentation. I would agree that Calvinists teach that regeneration is necessary for faith, but no Calvinists ever taught that salvation and regeneration are the same thing. Remember, you asked .... what must "I" do to be saved... Now you talk about regeneration as though it is the same concept as the concept of salvation. I know the problem, you also fail to understand that the biblical concept of regeneration is only one part of the ordo salutus (order of salvation). You equate regeneration with the whole order and then assume that Calvinists make the same mistake you do. That is yet another terrible misrepresentation of Calvinist teaching. Yes, we believe that regeneration is necessary for faith, and faith is required for justification, and all of those things are part of the order of salvation.

Oh, by the way, I would be happy to defend the biblical concept of regeneration before faith from scripture.

To debate this double predestination thing would be futile since as you have said, no one knows but God. Should we not rather hope that all will be saved and pray for all men?

This would be most admirable, for the doctrine of double pre-destination did not come from the Spirit of God!

Eventide,
I am disappointed and of course feel your conversation is not honest. Maybe this should be my last post, not sure. You wrote the paragraph below and I responded by accusing you of a misrepresentation of Calvinism. Then you denied misrepresenting Calvinism. Can you please show me even one Calvinist that ever answered the question "what must I do to be saved? and answer that question by saying "nothing?" Show me even one. Give it a try. Come one, please show me just one. You obviously will not try, because it was an obvious misrepresentation.

Then I responded to this by mentioning that the Reformed taught "sola fide" long before Arminian theology was in existence. You forgot that little fact, or maybe never thought about it. I don't know. You now seem interested only in winning an argument with those Calvinists. Rather then be honest and reply with integrity, and admit that no Calvinist would ever possibly respond to the question "What must I do to be saved" with the answer "nothing" you reply as below...

So now, rather then reply with honesty, and admit your misrepresentation, you suggest by the word "nothing" you were referring to regeneration. That is a red herring of course. Even if that is true, that you were referring to regeneration, that again is yet another misrepresentation. I would agree that Calvinists teach that regeneration is necessary for faith, but no Calvinists ever taught that salvation and regeneration are the same thing. Remember, you asked .... what must "I" do to be saved... Now you talk about regeneration as though it is the same concept as the concept of salvation. I know the problem, you also fail to understand that the biblical concept of regeneration is only one part of the ordo salutus (order of salvation). You equate regeneration with the whole order and then assume that Calvinists make the same mistake you do. That is yet another terrible misrepresentation of Calvinist teaching. Yes, we believe that regeneration is necessary for faith, and faith is required for justification, and all of those things are part of the order of salvation.

Oh, by the way, I would be happy to defend the biblical concept of regeneration before faith from scripture.

If you'd like to pretend that God regenerating YOU so that you can believe means that YOU actually do the believing, then go right ahead.. I think that anyone with simple common sense can see how ridiculous that charge is..

The funny thing to me is that when people call them on it, all you get is mis-representation claim.. hey.. whatever makes you think that you're right mondar.. and now I can better understand why you called me a liar the first time that I posted in here..

Not so. Jesus Himself taught it clearly in the parable of the wheat and tares.

Unbelievers fail to believe because they are not of God.

-HisSheep

How far will the Calvinists go? Accusing Jesus of teaching double pre-destination.

It is interesting, over the years, when I have had any kind of dialog with Calvinists, they always come to this position: "unbelievers fail to believe because they are not of God" as an accusation towards those who disagree with their form of Christianity. Is it because they really believe that "they are the only ones who have the truth?" Don't we teach that only non-Christians cults make this kind of claim? It seems so surreal. Yet, other Christian theological streams don't seem to do this too much. I guess, on the other hand, John Calvin was not only a murderer, but a dictator. Why was he so evil?

Respectfully

Adelphos

"unbelievers fail to believe because they are not of God" as an accusation towards those who disagree with their form of Christianity. Is it because they really believe that "they are the only ones who have the truth?" Don't we teach that only non-Christians cults make this kind of claim? It seems so surreal. Yet, other Christian theological streams don't seem to do this too much.
I have to admit, I find this a bit unfair...not just to Calvinists in general but also to the ones here on this thread.

Has any of the Calvinists here stated that if one doesn't believe in Calvinism, one isn't saved at all? I've read through the threads and have found several say that they believe those who disagree are still saved if they are believers.

I was at a Calvinist church for 5 years. Not once did I ever hear anyone say that any believer in Christ who wasn't a Calvinist isn't saved. Quite the opposite in fact.

His Sheep stated his case clearly about "unbelievers"...not "believers".

Yet, other Christian theological streams don't seem to do this too much.
I have heard time and time again, many Christians say that Calvinists cannot possibly even be Christian and are of the devil.

These kinds of accusations, no matter which believer is hurling it, Calvinist, Arminian, Baptist or Catholic (even Lutherans) are ungodly.

Do you think that a person who has received Christ as Savior and has been "Born again Spiritually" Trusting ONLY in Christ and not his works, but doesn't by into Calvin's theory is a "TRUE Christian? Or an unbeliever, because he doesn't accept Calvin's doctrines???

I would never question the salvation of any believer. That is just not in my repertoire.

I do however have logical reasoned resistance about freewill positions just as I have with TULIP positions.

It is hard sometimes just to get to reasoning on these matters. It should not be that hard to see some points for both positions.

I accept the general body of Calvins works, but Calvinism does not see or have the whole enchilada nor does freewillism.

In my reading I find both camps WOEfully shortsighted of our real enemies, which are the devil and his minions. Both positions are WOEfully mancentric because spiritually speaking neither camp handles that part of the equations well at all.

There is more going on in this present environment than 'just man.'

Freewillism tends to blame and accuse people blinded by the god of this world, the spirit of slumber.

Calvinism fails to define a reasoned difference between that spirit of slumber and the people it is put upon and we were ALL put upon by that spirit of slumber prior to our individual beliefs.

My hope is that by seeing this fact a lot of our individual theological differences would be put aside and our attentions would turn to our real anti-Christ spirit ENEMIES....

Do you understand?

But unfortunately those enemies are STRONG, particularly within 'religious' people.

We are, in short, NOT immune to intrusions of these sorts. The reality is whenever we fight and bicker and OVERLOOK the enemies we are in fact showing personal slaveship internally to those enemies. It is not really 'us' then who bickers, but those influences speaking through us. None of us are immune. Those seeking separation and not gathering are sorely influenced by the working of the enemies.

That's just the way I see it from the text, and believe it to be supported.

enjoy!

s

How far will the Calvinists go? Accusing Jesus of teaching double pre-destination.

It is interesting, over the years, when I have had any kind of dialog with Calvinists, they always come to this position: "unbelievers fail to believe because they are not of God" as an accusation towards those who disagree with their form of Christianity. Is it because they really believe that "they are the only ones who have the truth?" Don't we teach that only non-Christians cults make this kind of claim? It seems so surreal. Yet, other Christian theological streams don't seem to do this too much. I guess, on the other hand, John Calvin was not only a murderer, but a dictator. Why was he so evil?

Respectfully

Adelphos

AMEN to the truth of what you say, and thank God there's people like you that trust in the "True" Grace of God as presented in God's Holy Book, "The Bible."

I would never question the salvation of any believer. That is just not in my repertoire.

I do however have logical reasoned resistance about freewill positions just as I have with TULIP positions.

It is hard sometimes just to get to reasoning on these matters. It should not be that hard to see some points for both positions.

I accept the general body of Calvins works, but Calvinism does not see or have the whole enchilada nor does freewillism.

In my reading I find both camps WOEfully shortsighted of our real enemies, which are the devil and his minions. Both positions are WOEfully mancentric because spiritually speaking neither camp handles that part of the equations well at all.

There is more going on in this present environment than 'just man.'

Freewillism tends to blame and accuse people blinded by the god of this world, the spirit of slumber.

Calvinism fails to define a reasoned difference between that spirit of slumber and the people it is put upon and we were ALL put upon by that spirit of slumber prior to our individual beliefs.

My hope is that by seeing this fact a lot of our individual theological differences would be put aside and our attentions would turn to our real anti-Christ spirit ENEMIES....

Do you understand?

But unfortunately those enemies are STRONG, particularly within 'religious' people.

We are, in short, NOT immune to intrusions of these sorts. The reality is whenever we fight and bicker and OVERLOOK the enemies we are in fact showing personal slaveship internally to those enemies. It is not really 'us' then who bickers, but those influences speaking through us. None of us are immune. Those seeking separation and not gathering are sorely influenced by the working of the enemies.

That's just the way I see it from the text, and believe it to be supported.

enjoy!

s

I must remind you that the Bible says, "1 John 4:4---Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. And that includes the devil and his minions.

This would be most admirable, for the doctrine of double pre-destination did not come from the Spirit of God!
That would depend on how you define it. For God has obviously provided salvation and that alone can be seen as double predestination. You may unwittingly end up arguing there is no salvation, believing you were defending the Gospel. We must maintain humility and not be carnal lest God humble us and we end up welcoming His correction. Satan mimics God and spins the truth using semantics so as to cause division. Since he is both accuser and temptor he can hypocritically play both sides of an equation and even justify both positions in the minds of those who are moved according to his logic. He cannot however overcome Love your enemies. That's the way I see it.

Take a look at these words you wrote:

It is interesting, over the years, when I have had any kind of dialog with Calvinists, they always come to this position: "unbelievers fail to believe because they are not of God" as an accusation towards those who disagree with their form of Christianity.

Now read this:
John 8:47

King James Version (KJV)

47He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

This is not Calvinism or someone elses form of christianity, this is THE CHRIST HIMSELF saying these words which you are implying are being used as an accusation to defend a theological perspective. The words are simply true and anyone who finds them an accusation stands accused by them, by their own mouth. We are often too proud to admit we all have obeyed the devil at some point.

I must remind you that the Bible says, "1 John 4:4---Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. And that includes the devil and his minions.

and you might be well advised to read the scriptures and see that all sin is connected to the devil and guess what? You and I still sin.

Paul also had a devil, shown clearly in Romans 12:7

You are welcome to claim immunity from the working of the tempter, but it is not an accurate view.

s

as to PREdestination I might also remind every believer here that we all DO hold to predestination.

HOW you say?

We all believe the devil and his messengers are heading to the Lake of Fire.

That is PRE destination so

SURPRISE...

you all hold to at least some form of predestination and some of you don't even see the fact that you DO.

s

Hi,​

The reality is that if one studies the Calvinistic doctrinal system, one is left with a sense of complete and uttter insecurity - just the opposite of what they teach, at least from a very pragmatic and experiential point of reference. An objective thinking Calvinist will recognize what I say as true immediately. You see, even the most dedicated Calvinist cannot claim that they know for certain that they are one of the elect! If they do say so, they argue it from "experience," not absolute knowledge. They will claim that they have fruit, or the Spirit bears them witness, etc... which really makes it boild down to "their decision of what they believe to be true." In reality, using their own system, it would be absolutely presumptuous to make this claim. So, in essence, how can a Calvinist really, and actually know they are elect - oh no, it can't be through repentance and faith, and a resulting holy life, can it be?​

Respectfully,​

Adelphos​

Funny, how a post that starts with these words, "if one studies the Calvinistic doctrinal system" then goes on to raise a strawmen arguement, by denying the experiential element of calvinistic teaching. It seems my freind, you think there is no teaching of 'perserverence of the saints' in the calvinistic teachings. That is to confuse calviniosm with hyper calvinism!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back