Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

The Messiah and 3 days and 3 nights?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

rstrats

When responding to the Pharisees, why do you suppose the Messiah made the specific point that He would be in the "heart of the earth" for 3 days and 3 nights?

For Jesus and the apostles, the timing of his resurrection has strong theological implications. The three-day timeline matters to the biblical narrative because it is the special day on which God creates new life and activates his covenant with humanity. How did the New Testament authors arrive at this understanding?

Jesus and the New Testament authors are drawing from a consistent third-day design pattern found in the Hebrew Scriptures. Exploring this pattern for ourselves can enrich our understanding of Jesus’ resurrection and the significance of the third day.

I found this website that explains in full the significant of 3 days and 3 nights explained with scripture. To long to post the whole here.

God confirms the covenant with many for one week, it is in the middle of that week that the sacrifice ceased, ( when Christ sacrificed Himself.

Christ dead for three days and nights in the heart of the earth, is the other half of the three and a half years He preached on earth for. ( a day for a year, and a year for a day.)

Daniel 9:27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

But why 3 days and 3 nights? Why not 2 days and 2 nights? Was there something special about the former?
People weren’t ‘officially dead’ until three full days in the grave- The timing was crucial to prove He held power over life and death.
Many churches teach that His three days were metaphorical and he was only there about 36 hours (2 nights/ 1 day), rather than the full 3 nights & 3 days(72 hrs).

I’m not sure how long Jonah was in the big fish according to that doctrine, but it seems it only had to be at least 50% of that time to call it “3 days.”

People weren’t ‘officially dead’ until three full days in the grave- The timing was crucial to prove He held power over life and death.
Many churches teach that His three days were metaphorical and he was only there about 36 hours (2 nights/ 1 day), rather than the full 3 nights & 3 days(72 hrs).

I’m not sure how long Jonah was in the big fish according to that doctrine, but it seems it only had to be at least 50% of that time to call it “3 days.”
Why, in your opinion does the church hold to the doctrine of 36 hours, Scripture has lots of metaphorical passages, but this is certainly not one of them ?

Why, in your opinion does the church hold to the doctrine of 36 hours, Scripture has lots of metaphorical passages, but this is certainly not one of them ?
Because they believe he died on Friday right before sunset and rose Sunday before sunrise. (I was taught that, and used to teach it… till I realized it was completely wrong…)

It’s old doctrine that was borne out of a need to justify changing the sabbath to Sunday because of the anti-Semitic attitude of early church fathers. They use a translation that changes the phrase, “on a certain sabbath…” to “on the first day of the week…” to “prove” that Jesus changed the sabbath to Sunday- and then they use “lord of the sabbath” to show that Jesus had the authority to make that change.
In other words, a bunch o’ guys who really didn’t understand scripture wrote down a ‘doctrine’ that insists on all this. To make it consistent with scripture, they translated it to match their teaching.

Because they believe he died on Friday right before sunset and rose Sunday before sunrise. (I was taught that, and used to teach it… till I realized it was completely wrong…)

It’s old doctrine that was borne out of a need to justify changing the sabbath to Sunday because of the anti-Semitic attitude of early church fathers. They use a translation that changes the phrase, “on a certain sabbath…” to “on the first day of the week…” to “prove” that Jesus changed the sabbath to Sunday- and then they use “lord of the sabbath” to show that Jesus had the authority to make that change.
In other words, a bunch o’ guys who really didn’t understand scripture wrote down a ‘doctrine’ that insists on all this. To make it consistent with scripture, they translated it to match their teaching.
I agree with you, but they also changed the Passover to good Friday and easter.

I agree with you, but they also changed the Passover to good Friday and easter.
…also done as anti-Semitic holidays. Easter Day is calculated to correspond to the day of worshiping Oester, the goddess of fertility, with eggs & rabbits as symbols of fertility…Much like the priests did in the temple, when they brought in other gods & pagan traditions into the sanctuary— even passed them on to the people. I’ve seen idols in every church I’ve been in…
There are little movements all over that are trying to reliable Halloween… might turn into ‘fear the lord day.’
Solomon had it right when he said, “There’s nothing new under the sun.”

People had appeared to be dead then recovered before. 3 days was considered the point where they couldn’t recover
Of the responses given, that may very well be the reason, as WordWhisper'r also touched on.

BTW, any particular reason for quoting my "I'm not sure what you're asking" question to Hidden In Him?

When responding to the Pharisees, why do you suppose the Messiah made the specific point that He would be in the "heart of the earth" for 3 days and 3 nights?
Because that would be where He would be is in the heart of the Earth for three days and nights. That was their sign.
Isaiah 61:1 Acts 2:27 1peter 3:19 Ephesians 4:10

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back