Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

The Messiah and 3 days and 3 nights?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

rstrats

When responding to the Pharisees, why do you suppose the Messiah made the specific point that He would be in the "heart of the earth" for 3 days and 3 nights?

The Jews used a Lunar Solar calendar that is different than our Gregorian calendar we use today as the first month of their new year began in the month of Abib/Nisan being March/April. Their calendar was not a 365 day calendar like the one we use. The Hebrew Sabbath was instituted by God given to Moses in Exodus 16 as a day that started from Friday at sunset to Saturday at sunset.

Here is an unknown fact that most Christians and even some Jews have never heard of. It's called seudah maphsehkey which means "the last supper" that took place on the 13th of Nisan being a Wednesday evening at sunset that began the next day being Thursday. This is the last supper Jesus would eat with His disciples before He was betrayed by Judas, Matthew 26:17-29. This took place before the beginning of Passover that started on the 14th of Nisan, Thursday at sunset, before the Festival of Unleavened Bread that followed immediately on the 15th of Nisan being Friday at sunset that started the Saturday High Sabbath.

After Jesus and His disciples finished their meal and sung a hymn they all went out to the mount of Olives. This would be the evening beginning of the day Thursday after Wednesday’s sunset that they all went to the garden in the mount of Olives. During that evening Judas betrayed Jesus with a kiss and the Roman Guards arrested Jesus bringing Him to Caiaphas the high priest where the scribes and elders were gathered. Being that it was now the 14th of Nisan and the beginning of Passover Jewish law prevents Caiaphas from holding a trial so Jesus is turned over to Pontius Pilate to be examined for the charges brought against Him.

John 18:39 the Jews had a custom to release one prisoner at the time of Passover. Pilate instructed the guards to release Jesus and Barabbas and the crowd chose Barabbas to be released. This was early morning Thursday after sunrise that court was held, Jesus condemned, scourged and lead away to be nailed to a cross. On the ninth hour of the day being around 3:tongueM Jesus cried out and gave up the ghost.
Matthew Chapter 26-28

Preparation day was on the 13th of Nisan as everything had to be prepared before Wednesday at sunset that began the 14th day of Nisan being Passover before the Festival of Unleavened Bread (Matza) that started on the 15th of Nisan Friday at sunset. Matthew 26:30 after Jesus and the disciples finished the Passover meal they all went out to the mount of Olives. This would place the time being after Wednesday at sunset beginning the next day being Thursday

The Festival of Unleaven Bread (Matza) being the second Festival began immediately after the day of Passover on the 15th of Nisan (Friday at sunset) and ran for seven days ending on the 22nd (Saturday at sunset). The Sabbath day begins on Friday at sunset and ends on Saturday at sunset. Evening is at sunset when day ends and another day begins. The Festival of Unleaven Bread starts on Friday at sunset and ends Saturday at sunset as a this High Sabbath is the seven days of Pesach (Passover) starting at sunset on the 15th day of Nisan (April).

High Sabbath is seven annual festivals and days of rest that do not necessarily happen on weekly Shabbat (Sabbath). Two occur in the Spring. The first and seventh days of Pesach (Passover). Another one, Shavuot (Feast of Weeks/Pentecost) occurs in Tammuz/June. Four occur in the Fall in the seventh month of Tishri/October, Rosh Hashannah (Trumpets), Yom Kipper, Sabbath of Sabbaths (Atonement) and Sukkoth (Tabernacles).

The day of preparation mentioned in John 19:31-42 and the commemoration of the Festival of Unleaven Bread being a high Sabbath goes back to Exodus chapter 16 when on the 15th day of Nisan, being the second month that began the exodus of the Hebrews being led by Moses and Aaron departing out of the land of Egypt to Sinai.

Since the holy days (certain Sabbaths) can fall on any day of the week the preparation day can fall on any day of the week. On the day of the Festival of Unleaven Bread all food, Sabbath artifacts, cleaning and arranging schedules of prayer and time together had to be prepared before Friday at sunset.

Three days and three nights begin with Thursday being the first day and first night. Friday is the second day and second night. Saturday is the third day and third night with Jesus being raised from the tomb Sunday around sunrise.

The Hebrew Sabbath was instituted by God given to Moses in Exodus 16 as a day that started from Friday at sunset to Saturday at sunset.

Matthew 16:21
1 Corinthians 15:4
Acts 10:40
Luke 18:33
Luke 9:22
Mark 16:9
Mark 8:31
Matthew 20:19
Matthew 17:23
Leviticus 23:5
Luke 24:46
Luke 24:7
John 20:1
Hosea 6:2
Leviticus 23:32
Luke 24:18-21
Luke 13:32
Matthew 27:46
Exodus 12:18
Exodus 12:6
Genesis 1:5
On the third day...

Hey All, Perhaps the three days and three nights are significant with regards to proof that Jesus, at least His body, was truely dead. If He shows up Saturday, there would always be that question,"Did He really die?" Something to think about; May God bless,
Taz

1 Corinthians 15:4 declares that he rose again the third day "according to the scriptures"
Prophesied fulfillment of the scriptures will always be most effective because they glorify God in His word completed.

So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth;
It shall not return to Me void,
But it shall accomplish what I please,
And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it. Isaiah 55:11

Four calendar days are involved with Hosea 6:2, Mark 8:31 and Luke 24:18-21. And Matthew 12:40 involves four calendar days in order to get three night times. So, your references which say on the third day have to be referring to on the third day after the burial. Your other references say nothing about being on or after three days.

Last edited:
Perhaps the three days and three nights are significant with regards to proof that Jesus, at least His body, was truely dead. If He shows up Saturday, there would always be that question, "Did He really die?"
I think that is probably the reason. Do you know of any early 1st century sources which support the idea that a person wasn't considered dead until after 3 days?

Hey All,
I found this concerning the question of why three days.

"There are several reasons it is significant Jesus was dead for three days before His resurrection. First, resurrection after three days of death proved to Jesus’ opponents that He truly rose from the dead. Why? According to Jewish tradition, a person’s soul/spirit remained with his/her dead body for three days. After three days, the soul/spirit departed. If Jesus’ resurrection had occurred on the same day or even the next day, it would have been easier for His enemies to argue He had never truly died. Significantly, Jesus waited several days after Lazarus had died before He came to resurrect Lazarus so that no one could deny the miracle (John 11:38–44)."

The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus by Gary Habermas

I didn't think of the tie in as to Jesus' resurrection of Lazarus. Evidently, this tradition affected the timing that miracle as well.
Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Hey All,
I found this concerning the question of why three days.

According to Jewish tradition, a person’s soul/spirit remained with his/her dead body for three days. After three days, the soul/spirit departed.
re: Gary Habermas's comment : "According to Jewish tradition..."

And I'm asking about the source for making that comment.

I don't see where Gill said how he knew that the term "3 days and 3 nights" was an idiom. What do you have in mind?
Good point. Perhaps "idiom" is not the right term. Maybe "a figure of speech" is better. Here are some other scholars who agreed with Gill.

Pulpit:

Three days and three nights; i.e., according to Hebrew usage, parts of the days and nights; i.e. one whole day, and parts of the day before and after this.
Keil and Delitzsch:

The three days and three nights are not to be regarded as fully three times twenty hours, but are to be interpreted according to Hebrew usage, as signifying that Jonah was vomited up again on the third day after he had been swallowed
Benson:

“The Hebrew language,” says Lowth, “has no one word to express what we call a natural day; so that what the Greeks express by Νυχθημερον, they denote by a day and a night. Therefore the space of time consisting of one whole revolution of twenty-four hours, and a part of two others, is fitly expressed in that language by three days and three nights. Such a space of time our Lord lay in the grave;” (that is, one whole νυχθημερον, or natural day, and part of two others;) “and we may from thence conclude that Jonah, who was an eminent figure of him in this particular, was no longer in the fish’s belly.”

Good point. Perhaps "idiom" is not the right term. Maybe "a figure of speech" is better. Here are some other scholars who agreed with Gill.

Pulpit:
Keil and Delitzsch:
Benson:

I don't see how Pulpit, Keil and Delitzsch, and Benson show a figure of speech, i.e., where at least a portion of 3 daytimes and at least a portion of 3 night-times weren't involved. But at any rate, the issue is about the reason for the 3 days and 3 nights time period. It's my fault for going off topic by asking you about your mentioning of an idiom.​

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back