Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

The nation of Israel was given the Law,and it was never given to the the Gentiles

For Adullam on his post 117:

The Bible tells you how to be born again but where does it tell you how to be baptized with the Holy Spirit??????

The laying on of hands...or else the visitation of God. The baptism in the Spirit was evidenced by a spiritual gift...or several.

Even the elders of Antioch spoke the very words of God. A man cannot do this without the baptism in the Spirit.

If the baptism of the Spirit only happened twice its obvious by its absense, one doesn't require a verse stating in effect: "now dear readers of the Bible the baptism of the Spirit only happened twice." If you study the scripture and know the purpose of the baptism of the Spirit and whether or not its purpose has been met, WHAT MORE DO YOU NEED??? Seems I recall the Jews required a sign, and WHAT did Jesus tell them???

In my post of 124 I failed to give the complete passage location. Instead of 2:15 it should be II Tim.2:15. Sorry about that.

John the Baptist spoke of the "Baptism of the Holy Spirit," in Matthew 3:11---"I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:"

Water Baptism was actually only for the "House of Israel" and not intended for Gentiles. However Gentiles were not "held back" from being Baptized in this manner. When the Gentiles were "branched" in with the "House of Israel" Spirit Baptism became the manner of Baptism, and it remains so today...

Exactly right. It was something that could not be forbidden to the Gentiles since they had already been baptized in the Holy Spirit. Acts 10:47-48 - "Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? 48And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

Believers today get baptized in water because it's a symbol of joining with Christ in the death and resurrection, and it's an outward showing of our confession of Jesus Christ. It isn't, however, what saves us. We must be filled with the Spirit.....If we don't have the Spirit indwelling us then we don't have Christ abiding in us. It's just that simple.

If the baptism of the Spirit only happened twice its obvious by its absense, one doesn't require a verse stating in effect: "now dear readers of the Bible the baptism of the Spirit only happened twice." If you study the scripture and know the purpose of the baptism of the Spirit and whether or not its purpose has been met, WHAT MORE DO YOU NEED??? Seems I recall the Jews required a sign, and WHAT did Jesus tell them???

LOL Speaking of a sign...how about you give us some little sign that you even know what you're talking about. You're trying to be very mysterious. And it surely is a mystery to me how you can possibly say the body of Christ does not have the Holy Spirit in our midst. Plus, you disregard any of the scripture that I've given you as if you haven't even glanced at them. Without a chapter and verse, I can only assume you're using some of that wisdom of the world mentality that is way over my playing field.

Now I will ask you point blank. Do you have Jesus Christ in you? Or, are you in Jesus? Or, do you have any spiritual presence dwelling in you? Are you a new man...different....than you were before you began your search for God? Even one little clue would probably help a lot. Just saying.

I dont get why you would think that something could not have happened or be happening, because it was written of X number of times. As simple as did Jesus only eat the times it was written about?

Baptism "with" the Holy Ghost and Baptism "by" the Spirit.

The 12 were baptized "with" the Holy Spirit.

For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence. -Acts 1:5

But we on the other hand

For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. -1 Corinthians 12:13

That's talking about the church...the collective body of Christ.

The baptism of the spirit goes on long after Cornelius. Same one given at Pentecost, same one given to all those people with Cornelius, same one with Paul, same one throughout Acts and beyond. "One baptism"...have you even read that scripture?

Here we see baptized WITH the Holy Ghost - notice it's the same "as on us at the beginning.

Acts 11:15-16 - And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning. Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.

Acts 13:9 - Then Saul, (who also is called Paul,) filled with the Holy Ghost, set his eyes on him.

Acts 15:8 - And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as He did unto us;

This shows how some didn't even know about the Baptism of the Holy Ghost. Same baptism as Acts 2.
Acts 19 - 1And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples, 2He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost. 3And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism. 4Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. 5When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. 7And all the men were about twelve. 8And he went into the synagogue, and spake boldly for the space of three months, disputing and persuading the things concerning the kingdom of God.

Hi Adullam:

On your post 113, where do we read Paul was baptized with the Holy Spirit???????

And this isn't water baptism we're talking here.
Acts 9:17-18 said:
And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost. And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized.

Everyone was amazed at the change in him.
Paul's heart was circumcised, and he was filled with the Power of the Holy Ghost.

Acts 9:19-20 said:
And when he had received meat, he was strengthened. Then was Saul certain days with the disciples which were at Damascus. And straightway he preached Christ in the synagogues, that he is the Son of God. But all that heard him were amazed, and said; Is not this he that destroyed them which called on this name in Jerusalem, and came hither for that intent, that he might bring them bound unto the chief priests?

The Bible tells you how to be born again but where does it tell you how to be baptized with the Holy Spirit??????

It's exactly the same thing.

Saved by the washing of regeneration (old flesh is cut away...circumcision of the heart), and renewing of the Holy Ghost, we are '"quickened" into newness of life.

Titus 3:4-7 - But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Born of water (purifying - circumcision of the heart) and of the Spirit.
John 3:5 - "Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God."

Ye have "purified your souls" (heart circumcised), obeying the truth THROUGH THE SPIRIT...born again incorruptible.

1 Peter 1:22-23 - "Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently: Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. [/quote]

No, the devil could and can do that today. I mean doing so in the context of 2:15.

No, he can't because he is the father of lies. He doesn't rightly divide at all. He twists scripture and leads those who seek the Truth to go off on false leads...words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.

2 Tim. 2:14-25 - Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers. Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Good morning Glorydaz. I see you've been busy on this forum while I've been away. I shall now catch up.
On Satan's misuse of scripture (which is common today) I previously wrote: "the devil could and can do that today."

YOU answered, post 133: 'NO, HE CAN'T BECAUSE HE IS TIHE FATHER OF LIES.'

Make no mistake about it Glorydaz the devil can and does, even today. See II Cor.10 and II Thess. 2. The devil accurately quoted scripture to Jesus in Matt.4, but, misused it and with the wrong motive even as false teachers today. They can "twist" the scripture as Peter said some did of Paul's writings in II Perer and do it to their own destruction. Thus, we must all be careful and this includes me as well.

While Satan is the father of lies, he does know the truth. A counterfeit only proves that there is somewhere "the real thing." That you may know that Satan knows the truth please read Jas.2:19.

Glorydaz I shall now address your post # 128

YOU WROTE: ''IT SURELY IS A MYSTERY TO ME HOW YOU CAN POSSIBLY SAY THE BODY OF CHRIST DOES NOT HAVE THE HOLY SPIRIT IN OUR MIDST.''

let me clear up that mystery for you! Listen very carefully, I have never said the body of Christ does not have the Holy Spirit. I have NEVER even intimated such. The gauntlet is at your feet to produce the evidence. Let me make it "crystal clear" for you: I believe the body of christ ( which is the church of Christ) HAS the Holy Spirit in her midst. Any further questions about that? STOP putting words in my mouth which I have never said.

There are some who, concentrate so much on the "workings" of the devil, that they bypass concentrating on the things of God...Why don't they put their efforts into studying and reading "God's word" and a "little less time" worrying about the devil?? While their sitting around getting "overly" engrossed in the "deceitfulness" of falsehood, they themselves may be the ones who are deceived...Just some "food for thought."

Once again, Glorydaz, from your post #128 you wrote: ''YOU DISREGARD ANY OF THE SCRIPTURE THAT I'VE GIVEN YOU AS IF YOU HAVEN'T EVEN GLANCED AT THEM."

My answer is: I have told before, and I tell you again: none of the scriptures you presented are at the issue. Just quoting scripture is not enough, thats why I have urged in this thread the imporftance of "rightly dividing the word of truth." Some seem to be satisfied with the idea that every time they see the word "Sp;iritr" it means Holy Spirit baptism. Not so. If so, prove it as you will have to do in our one-on-one.

Once again on Glorydaz post #128

GLORYDAZ WROTE: 'NOW I WILL ASK YOU POINT BLANK"

1 'DO YOU HAVE JESUS CHRIST IN YOU'
2. ''ARE YOU IN JESUS?""
3. ''DO YOU HAVE ANY SPIRILTUAL PRESENCE IN YOU?"
4. ''ARE YOU A NEW MAN---DIFFERENT---THAN YOU WERE?

I shall answer your questions in the order you gave. If you have further questions please ask them in the course of our one-on-one.

1. Yes, Gal.4:19
2. Yes, Gal.3:27
3. Yes, Acts 2:38
4. Yes, II Cor. 5:17

In my next post I shall offer you my affirmative for the one-on-one.

The following is what I (webb) will affirm for Glorydaz to deny in a one-on-one.

The scriptures teach that the baptism of the Holy Spirit WAS a promise to be received, for certain persons, for certain purposes which purposes have been fulfilled and thus no one today receives such baptism. The scriptures further teaches that the baptism of Matthew 28:19,20 and Mark 16:15-16 is water baptism and is for "remission of sins", "to be saved", to become "a new creature", to be in the "one body", to have sins "washed away'', and to be "in Christ" and to "put on Christ. That water baptism is a COMMAND to be obeyed by all accountable people to the end of the world.

Back