Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

The New Birth

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Drew said:
Paul is not teaching against salvation by "good works" here, he is teaching against the belief that one can be saved by performing the works of Torah .....
I thought I said that too. :biggrin

Catholic Crusader said:
Drew said:
Paul is not teaching against salvation by "good works" here, he is teaching against the belief that one can be saved by performing the works of Torah .....
I thought I said that too. :biggrin
You did indeed. I just filled out the argument, showing how the material that follows the 2:8-10 block clearly makes no sense if indeed "good works" are in view in the 2:8-10 block. If the salvific value of "good works" is what Paul is denying in 2:8-10, it makes no sense for Paul to say "therefore" in verse 11 and then go on to make a case about the dividing line between Jew and Gentile has been dissolved in Christ. It would only make sense for Paul to do this if he believes that the Gentiles lack good works which the Jews indeed possess. Under those circumstances, it would indeed be sensible for Paul to say "Listen you Gentiles, you need not do the good works that the Jews are doing to be saved (since good works do not save), therefore...you are "no longer foreigner to the covenants of the promise, etc., etc.).

But, of course, Paul does not believe this - he believes that Jew and Gentile alike are in sin. So it makes no sense for Paul, if he has really asserted that "good works" do not save, to then say "therefore you Gentiles now have hope since the barrier between Jew and Gentile has been destroyed, etc. etc." Why does this not make sense? Obviously, because Jew and Gentile are on equal footing in respect to "good works" - neither does enough good works to save.

Paul is therefore obviously talking about the works of Torah in 2:8-10. Then the "therefore" stuff makes sense since Torah is indeed the thing that divides Jew from Gentile and is the basis for the Gentile believing that he is on the outside in respect to the covenant promises.

Catholic Crusader, we are in violent agreement on this.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back