Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] The Reliability of the Whole Bible Depends on Genesis as History

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Yeah, what he said.

Except, I didn't reprimand you, Mr. Sensitive. I asked you to do me the favor of letting me speak for myself.
Your claim includes the implication that you know the Bible. I've stated that a difference exists between what the Bible says and what you are saying. I've shown how others have been confused by the word "kind" in Hebrew and it's translated form in Latin. I've drawn pictures, remember?

The fact that you dodge the question, "How many "kinds" are mentioned in the Bible, even when given the coloring book edition of the question, including pointers showing where to look, further implies something shady is going on. Can you explain your hesitancy?

My belief is that the premise of the topic we are talking about is true and that the whole Bible is the declaration of God, the very word of God. In contrast to the evolutionary principle of common ancestry, my belief is that that organisms were created in a finite number of discrete forms as described in the Bible, which subsequently diversified. Animals and Plants were created and then, certain "kinds" were separated out and caused to create "after his kind" and so forth. The Bible does not describe a process of "spontaneous generation" whatsoever.

If you don't agree with me and think that the Bible states otherwise, if you think that the phrase does not refer to a distinct barrier between different types or organisms (as defined by the Hebrew word mîn) and includes a limitation on variation, which "after his kind" describes, then show me where you get your idea. It's not from the Bible. And really? It is straying from topic. I don't mind, just saying.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Kind" in the Bible is not at all the same as biological kinds. For example, bats and birds are considered the same "kind" in that classification. "Owph" covers bats, birds, and some insects. It's a functional classification, not a record of ancestry. "Baramin" are polyphyletic, like "aquatic" or "marine" organisms. It says nothing about ancestry, neither asserting nor denying common ancestry of living things.

"Kind" in the Bible is not at all the same as biological kinds.

I agree. Barbarian, would you care to state your understanding of the "spontaneous generation" part of the discussion? What does the bible say? I've heard your position before and would trust that it remains unchanged, after-all, God hasn't changed what He said, why should you?

Cupid Dave holds that spontaneous generation and abiogenesis are the same.

Of course, spontaneous generation means that living things emerge from non living things fully formed, such as the former belief that maggots spontaneously pop out of rotting food, foregoing the process of flies laying eggs.

It could be said this is the premise set forth in Genesis. However, spontaneous generation is not a premise or function of abiogenesis.

Just to clear things up, when CD says "spontaneous generation" he is not talking about spontaneous generation whatsoever. He is talking about abiogenesis. He simply has a bad tendency to not understand terminology or to redefine words according to some assumption unrelated to the actual meaning of the terms.

That is also why he doesn't undertand the clear distinction between "kind" and "species."

Yeah, what he said.

Except, I didn't reprimand you, Mr. Sensitive.

I asked you to do me the favor of letting me speak for myself.

Your claim includes the implication that you know the Bible.

For the sake of getting along with the discussion, let it pass.

There was no reprimand in saying you are asking me if I know how many times the word kind is used,nstead of responding to the choice between God using one spontaneous Generation of Life followed by differentiations, modifications, and variations.
Or, do you sell the idea that Gid used individual, separte, and mukltiple Spontaneous Generations in every case where a different "kind" of living creature appear, has gone extinct, or is now present.

That seems an easy answer, (1), or (2).

What was you answer, since you say above you think I put the words in your mouth... (1) or (2)?

"Kind" in the Bible is not at all the same as biological kinds. For example, bats and birds are considered the same "kind" in that classification. "Owph" covers bats, birds, and some insects. It's a functional classification, not a record of ancestry. "Baramin" are polyphyletic, like "aquatic" or "marine" organisms. It says nothing about ancestry, neither asserting nor denying common ancestry of living things.

There seems to be a lot of smoke in the semantical jockeying around to avoid a direct response to what some say is a loaded question.
I can think of no third alternative to the two rather simple choices.
Can you?
How the question is load eludes me.
Help.
Give us a third option.

By "Spntaneous generation, I mean that a fully living organism appeared completely operational in a singular moment of Abiogenesis of the first sprouts of life on earth.

Do you agree that from that moment forward, First life, that initial life grew, developed, matured and differeniated into the life that is still with us today

"My belief is that ... organisms were created in a finite number of discrete forms which subsequently diversified."

That appears to be a pretty direct choice of (2) A Spontaneous generation in each and every separate case for each of the different "kinds", "types', "species," "Miyn," what ever,...

And then, YOU imply/said... all the differentiations that followed from the one initial spontaneously generated life, common to all the various kinds thereafter were micro-evolutionary "diversifications."
Or am I putting words in your mouth when i repeat what I think you mean above?
Please correct me here if so.

I rephrase your staement to explain what I am getting from you in this process of communicatio.
What I say about what I think you are saying is not in Stone.
It can be altered or changed or added or subtracted from.

Do I understand you or not.

It appears that you don't have the capacity to be able to differentiate between spontaneous generation and abiogenesis. Even worse, you assign attributes to abiogenesis that belong to spontaneous generation and vice versa as well as using the term "abiogenesis" while attempting to define what you mean by spontaneous generation so that no one can understand which you are referring to.

Until you can understand and acknowledge that these are not equivalent and describe the origins of life in entirely different constructs, you will not be able to understand anyone by what they mean.

"... A finite number a discrete organisms that diversified..."

That is supported by evolution. I would actually say it isevolution. In fact, it is stated by almostevery "start up" story I ever heard. Whether it be a beaver, turtle, or warrior.

The discussion regarding what the Bible says about "kinds" includes the Hebrew meaning of the word kind. That word means, "to portion out". This concept includes the barriers that have been set between each kind that God describes. It is significant that the phrase “after his kind” occurs ten times in the first chapter of Genesis. Whatever precisely is meant by the term “kind” (Hebrew mîn or mîyn), it does indicate the limitations of variation.

By the way, I have not asked how many times the word "kind" was used in the Bible. What I asked (check again, Mr. Sensitive) was how many kinds of organisms are listed in the Bible? The answer to that question sets up the minimum number of times that the Lord portioned out and placed instruction barriers into the various kinds of organisms.

Kind1.jpg

I drew the above picture many years ago and trust that you've seen it before. If I were to redraw it today I might replace the "All Animals" with "All Living Organisms" to include the 'portionings' that God placed into plants as well as the ones that have been included in animals. The word species would NOT be used because it was substituted for the Hebrew word that means "kind" and its origin is from the Latin: 1545–55; < Latin ( in ) speciē (in) kind. The concept of "fixity of species" persisted in the minds of scientists and laymen for some time, despite the narrower definition of species later adopted. This has added to the confusion that centers on what God has declared and has not helped to clarify things.

One should not insist that "kind" means species. The phylogenetic tree of evolutionary biology certainly isn't mentioned in the Bible. In point of fact, we see that God has placed boundaries between kinds when he said "like shall produce like" and whatnot.
:shame
Or am I putting words in your mouth when i repeat what I think you mean above? Please correct me here if so.
cupid dave, no need to ask "please" here, but "please" accept the correction. What you state when you try to "pigeon hole" a reply that is made to the thread (and not to you, specifically) is not what I mean at all. Who mentioned "spontaneous generation," for instance? And what was my response? I asked (and am willing to wait for) another Member to respond. You've heard his reply before, there is no need to pretend you haven't.

In the absence of the ability to directly observe life in its original form, I see no reason that science in general or anyone should attempt to refute what God has clearly declared. Although an exception could be made for those who place blinders on and declare that if they don't see it, it isn't there, there is no such exemption for the Christian. Well, not in my mind, anyway.

:readbible
If people who are in the business of classification would like to attempt to "reverse engineer" the process by observing things today and then making up rules that show how one "species" may or may not combine with another to reproduce young, for example, humans can not reproduce with frogs but african human populations may successfully reproduce with European human populations, therefore humans and humans are, but humans and frogs are not? This is NOT in the Bible. It may be true but we need to see what God has said before we go froggy and jump to our foregone conclusion.

What is? Well, let's see, shall we?

"In Scripture, the term kind is used rather than the term species for categories of animals. For example, in Genesis 1:24: "And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so." The phrase "after his kind" signifies that a distinction exists between kinds and that each kind carries the genetic information necessary for the production of descendants."

In an Institute for Creation Research article by Larry Vardiman, Ph.D, *Dr. Vardiman is Director of Research.

Cite this article: Vardiman, L. 2008. Can Divergent Species of Snakes Interbreed? Acts & Facts. 37 (8): 6.

This should serve as a starting point. The bible does list several kinds, but there are relatively few (less than a hundred). Barbarian has already pointed to the fact that an argument might be raised about one "kind," those who have the ability to fly. When God Portioned out, part of what He did was give the ability to fly to various "kinds" and the reference to those kinds includes the instructions about how to fly. This was not given to other "kinds" such as cattle or beasts or fish or those what crawl. It does show though that reproductive information is not necessarily all that God has done. But of course, this is true, now isn't it? It is interesting that God claims to be the direct author of the various means of locution and that each type of animal is portioned out according to their means of travel. But that is not the only criterion that was used. Notice also that God commanded the Earth (or the "eretz") to do it. This is not "spontaneous generation". It is what I like to call the "eretz generation command" or the 'Barbarian response to ex nihilo', but and again, I don't mind waiting for our resident expert to reply here.

That is supported by evolution. I would actually say it isevolution. In fact, it is stated by almostevery "start up" story I ever heard. Whether it be a beaver, turtle, or warrior.
Although I would agree with your statement that evolution supports a finite number of discrete organisms, we would part ways when we consider the actual number. The Bible does not list the boundaries that have been placed between organisms in the same manner that evolution does. Further, there is no allegation that any of "one kind" has ever produced any other kind. In fact, God has declared it to be quite to the contrary. We could continue our game of semantics here and try to further refine what is meant by 'discrete' and 'diversity' but I'm gonna trust the one who has the most to lose to do that.

~Sparrow

"The Bible never claims to be a textbook on history or science, but if God is who He claims to be, then He has all knowledge and power, and never makes mistakes. Therefore, if the Bible is the Word of God, then it must be truthful, even when it touches upon matters of history and science. Otherwise, this Creator God is a liar. The very character of God requires the first eleven chapters of Genesis to be a trustworthy record."

http://www.icr.org/article/4824/
I agree (with the exception that my presumption would be indicated, not that God has or even could lie, for He is Holy, Holy, Holy --> kadosh, kadosh, kadosh <--- and utterly apart from sin). Therefore I see no reason to change things or twist them. In fact, as we continue to understand what God has declared it will prove very helpful, not only to Christians but also to Science.

It appears that you don't have the capacity to be able to differentiate between spontaneous generation and abiogenesis. Even worse, you assign attributes to abiogenesis that belong to spontaneous generation and vice versa as well as using the term "abiogenesis" while attempting to define what you mean by spontaneous generation so that no one can understand which you are referring to.

Until you can understand and acknowledge that these are not equivalent and describe the origins of life in entirely different constructs, you will not be able to understand anyone by what they mean.
My understanding of the term 'Abiogenesis' includes the development of life from pre-existing chemical components of life. Such life would be extremely primitive. I don't agree with the concept or its conclusions but then again my assumptions start with the bible; this is not how science operates.

abiogenesis [ˌeɪbaɪəʊˈdʒɛnɪsɪs] n
1. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Biology) Also called autogenesis the hypothetical process by which living organisms first arose on earth from nonliving matter
2. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Biology) another name for spontaneous generation Compare biogenesis
[New Latin, from a- + bio- + genesis]

The Free Dictionary
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia:
n. In biology, the production of living things otherwise than through the growth and development of detached portions of a parent organism; spontaneous generation. Abiogenesis was formerly supposed to prevail quite widely even among comparatively complex forms of life. It is now proved that it occurs, if at all, only in the simplest microscopic organisms, and the weight of evidence is adverse to the claim that it has been directly demonstrated there. The tendency of recent biological discussion, however, is toward the assumption of a process of natural conversion of non-living into living matter at the dawn of life on this earth. Also called abiogeny. See biogenesis and heterogenesis.
n. (Biol.) The supposed origination of living organisms from lifeless matter; such genesis as does not involve the action of living parents; spontaneous generation; -- called also abiogeny, and opposed to biogenesis.

The 1913 definition of abiogenesis is no longer applicable.

What is meant by abiogenesis in a modern scientific understanding comes down to a series of steps from base to incrementally more complex.

Stage 1: The origin of biological monomers
Stage 2: The origin of biological polymers
Stage 3: The evolution from molecules to cell

That could be alluded to in Genesis when we are told that Adam was made from the dust of the earth.

Spontaneous generation, on the other hand, has always been explicit that life forms from non-life without any process of incremental change, fully functioning and without any intermediary form between nothing and the lifeform's present complexity . Aphids springing from morning dew or bees emerging forth from flowers. Spontaneous generation has been a discarded science ever since Louis Pasteur declared the premise absolutely disproven.

You are correct in assuming that abiogenesis precludes complex forms.

That could be alluded to in Genesis when we are told that Adam was made from the dust of the earth.

All manner of things could be "alluded to" but Genesis is not a single Scripture or Quote. But then, you already know.

I'm not one to take the Genesis account completely literally and I do accept abiogenesis as more than just plausible, so the interpretation as an allusion which is compatible with what is demonstrable is not a problem in my worldview.

I'm not one to take the Genesis account completely literally and I do accept abiogenesis as more than just plausible, so the interpretation as an allusion which is compatible with what is demonstrable is not a problem in my worldview.
Okay, thanks. :wave

I do appreciate your definition and the correction that you gave.

No problem.

Now the issue is getting CD to use the proper terminology and to basically drop using "spontaneous generation" except in the instance where he is talking about lifeforms emerging ex nihlo fully formed and functioning. If he is talking about probionts and primitive protocells, he shouldn't be calling it "spontaneous generation."

Even those simplest forms had a gradual process of developing lipid chains and a permeable outer membrane and combining with basic strands of RNA to become self-replicating, whereas spontaneous generation assumes an instantaneous existence from nothing.

Yes, it is equating "diversification" to "evolution" as merely semantiucally using one term to avoid the ither implication.

The same thing is being done in clouding the basic point that whether one calls Abiogenesis = SpontaneosuGeneration or not, both MEAN life formed from inorganic chemical processes in the absence of previous life.

To list the chemical/biological steps that preceed the first moment of life in some organism that appears without "parent" is getting ridiculously silly and knee deep in subterfuge to avoid admiting Spontaneous Generation is essential Abiogenesis, or life from nothing, as the definition actually denotes.

abiogenesis - definition of abiogenesis by the Free Online Dictionary ...

www.thefreedictionary.com/abiogenesisCached - Similar
You +1'd this publicly. Undo
a·bi·o·gen·e·sis ( b - -j n -s s). n. The supposed development of living organisms from nonliving matter. Also called autogenesis, spontaneous generation.

a·bi·o·gen·e·sis (
amacr.gif
lprime.gif
b
imacr.gif
-
omacr.gif
-j
ebreve.gif
n
prime.gif
ibreve.gif
-s
ibreve.gif
s)n.The supposed development of living organisms from nonliving matter. Also called autogenesis, spontaneous generation.

Can you give us a primer on the theory of spontaneous generation and/or the mechanism by which it was assumed that living organisms developed from nonliving matter?

I'll give an example of an observation that led to the development of the hypothesis and you explain how it fits in with the hypothesis of abiogenesis, okay?

Observation: You hide bits of cheese in a rag and stick it in a dark corner and come back later to find that there are mice in the rag.

What mechanism or defining attribute of abiogenesis addresses this observation?

Let's go off on a tangent for a bit, that's okay -- but even as we do this, there is a need to mark our place so that when the semantics issues is resolved we may pick up the conversation where it was left off.

Tangenital mark: HERE we may return to resume the discussion about the Bible itself. HERE we may return to consider the OP statement that the reliability of the whole bible depends on, is founded on, the book of beginnings as penned by the Holy Spirit through man.

a·bi·o·gen·e·sis (
amacr.gif
lprime.gif
b
imacr.gif
-
omacr.gif
-j
ebreve.gif
n
prime.gif
ibreve.gif
-s
ibreve.gif
s)
n.
The supposed development of living organisms from nonliving matter.
Also called autogenesis, spontaneous generation.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back