Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

The use of Lexicons and Strongs Concordance.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Greetings JLB,

There are many different Bible versions, and many translate the various Hebrew and Greek words differently. For example I read from an Interlinear RV/KJV and the RV often gives a different translation, hopefully a more accurate rendition. I also read from a new translation of Isaiah and the author often gives textual comments in the margin as to why he chose a particular word. My reading usually accepts what these scholars give as they are much more acquainted and qualified with the original languages, but a few reliable reference books can help our understanding of a particular verse or word.

Kind regards
Trevor.

I believe we can see what the Original Author intended by using scripture itself and context in defining biblical words and terms.

Again the Strongs is a good place to start, as well as others, but the biblical definition should always take precedence of such lexicons.

Again the Strongs is a good place to start, as well as others, but the biblical definition should always take precedence of such lexicons.

Just coming across this thread in New Posts. I'm curious, though, how are you saying you would arrive at accurate definitions without the use of lexicons? Lexicons track the use of words in the ancient language, which is the same thing all translators have done in providing you with the Bibles you have now to read. That means that your Biblical definitions have already been provided to you by the same means.

A site rule says to let people speak for themselves, and not impute things to them they never said. I have learned to avoid this by asking for clarification.

This is one of my all-time favorite passages. When I was legalistic, it helped me beat people with the Bible. Now that I am free, it helps me convince people they need to seek God's mercy.

So, now you're free from fearing the Lord and keeping His commandments? Or just free from your works being judged like all men?

Perhaps this is why some get into all that science and scholarship, in order to free themselves from all that childlike reading of Bible 'legalism'. Dumb childishness no doubt.
Maybe you should follow your own advice. Instead of returning insult for insult, I will try to help you.

If you were to fulfill your only duty to fear God and keep His commandments, then you wouldn't need His mercy and you would be justified in trusting in your works. But that path to rightness with God is not open to you, or anyone else for that matter. As Scripture says, "Therefore by the deeds of the law no flesh will be justified in His sight, for by the law is the knowledge of sin." (Ro 3:20)

If reading the law does not teach you that you are a sinner in need of a Savior, then you are not properly applying the requirements of the law to yourself.

Just coming across this thread in New Posts. I'm curious, though, how are you saying you would arrive at accurate definitions without the use of lexicons? Lexicons track the use of words in the ancient language, which is the same thing all translators have done in providing you with the Bibles you have now to read. That means that your Biblical definitions have already been provided to you by the same means.

Hebrew and Greek dictionaries and lexicons are good place to start but should never overrule what the biblical definition and context teach.

I gave an example of this in the Theological Studies Section

The Bible is its own best interpreter, in that the scriptures themselves define for us in some cases what a word or phrase means, either by context or by direct definition.

Contextually we must allow the scriptures to define for us the Authors intent and use of a word to convey His meaning to us.

Here is an example of a biblical definition -

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1

Here is the definition of faith according to the Strongs -

Faith pistis. Strongs 4102 - Noun

I. conviction of the truth of anything, belief; in the NT of a conviction or belief respecting man's relationship to God and divine things, generally with the included idea of trust and holy fervour born of faith and joined with it
A. relating to God
i. the conviction that God exists and is the creator and ruler of all things, the provider and bestower of eternal salvation through Christ
B. relating to Christ
i. a strong and welcome conviction or belief that Jesus is the Messiah, through whom we obtain eternal salvation in the kingdom of God
C. the religious beliefs of Christians
D. belief with the predominate idea of trust (or confidence) whether in God or in Christ, springing from faith in the same
II. fidelity, faithfulness
A. the character of one who can be relied on

The Point: Bible dictionary’s, lexicons, and study guides are a good place to start, but are not necessarily the final say on how a biblical word is defined.

Hebrew and Greek dictionaries and lexicons are good place to start but should never overrule what the biblical definition and context teach.

I gave an example of this in the Theological Studies Section

The Bible is its own best interpreter, in that the scriptures themselves define for us in some cases what a word or phrase means, either by context or by direct definition.

Contextually we must allow the scriptures to define for us the Authors intent and use of a word to convey His meaning to us.

Here is an example of a biblical definition -

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1

Here is the definition of faith according to the Strongs -

Faith pistis. Strongs 4102 - Noun

I. conviction of the truth of anything, belief; in the NT of a conviction or belief respecting man's relationship to God and divine things, generally with the included idea of trust and holy fervour born of faith and joined with it
A. relating to God
i. the conviction that God exists and is the creator and ruler of all things, the provider and bestower of eternal salvation through Christ
B. relating to Christ
i. a strong and welcome conviction or belief that Jesus is the Messiah, through whom we obtain eternal salvation in the kingdom of God
C. the religious beliefs of Christians
D. belief with the predominate idea of trust (or confidence) whether in God or in Christ, springing from faith in the same
II. fidelity, faithfulness
A. the character of one who can be relied on

The Point: Bible dictionary’s, lexicons, and study guides are a good place to start, but are not necessarily the final say on how a biblical word is defined.
I believe Strong is just trying to give the nuanced ways the word is used in the Bible. Here is Louw-Nida's list of ways πίστις (pistis) is used in the NT:

πίστις, εως f​
a what can be believed: 31.43​
b trust: 31.85​
c trustworthiness: 31.88​
d Christian faith: 31.102​
e doctrine: 31.104​
f promise: 33.289​
Louw, J. P., & Nida, E. A. (1996). In Greek-English lexicon of the New Testament: based on semantic domains (electronic ed. of the 2nd edition., Vol. 2, p. 198). United Bible Societies.​

And here is Louw-Nida's translation of one verse they provide as an example for each use:

a -- ‘having provided proof to all by raising him from the dead’ Ac 17:31​
b -- ‘you have faith in God’ Mk 11:22​
c -- that doesn’t mean that their lack of faithfulness annuls the faithfulness of God’ Ro 3:3​
d -- ‘the whole world is hearing that you have faith’ Ro 1:8​
e -- ‘fight on for the faith which once and for all God has given to his people’ Jd 3​
f -- ‘guilty of breaking their earlier pledge of faithfulness’ 1 Tm 5:12​

Ok, well this statement I agree with, and I got to the 3rd post in your Terms thread and I agree with this as well:

Bible dictionary’s, lexicons, and study guides are a good place to start, but are not necessarily the final say on how a biblical word is defined.

The only thing is, lexicons are often a tool the Holy Spirit will use to help guide you to the proper interpretation.

It could be just a matter of emphasis here. It looks like we essentially agree on things, only sometimes your statements seem to minimize the importance of scholarship. I don't go to scholarship first and foremost, like ever. I let the Holy Spirit guide me in coming to an accurate understanding of a word, a verse, a passage or a book. But in praying to Him for guidance, we will sometimes if not often direct me to such sources, especially something like Liddell-Scott or the CBL, which are all encompassing sources on how a word was used, in Classical, in the LXX, in the NT, and in early church history.

I think most of your respondents may be thinking the same thing I am.

I believe Strong is just trying to give the nuanced ways the word is used in the Bible. Here is Louw-Nida's list of ways πίστις (pistis) is used in the NT:

πίστις, εως f​
a what can be believed: 31.43​
b trust: 31.85​
c trustworthiness: 31.88​
d Christian faith: 31.102​
e doctrine: 31.104​
f promise: 33.289​
Louw, J. P., & Nida, E. A. (1996). In Greek-English lexicon of the New Testament: based on semantic domains (electronic ed. of the 2nd edition., Vol. 2, p. 198). United Bible Societies.​

And here is Louw-Nida's translation of one verse they provide as an example for each use:

a -- ‘having provided proof to all by raising him from the dead’ Ac 17:31​
b -- ‘you have faith in God’ Mk 11:22​
c -- that doesn’t mean that their lack of faithfulness annuls the faithfulness of God’ Ro 3:3​
d -- ‘the whole world is hearing that you have faith’ Ro 1:8​
e -- ‘fight on for the faith which once and for all God has given to his people’ Jd 3​
f -- ‘guilty of breaking their earlier pledge of faithfulness’ 1 Tm 5:12​

Yes, we are grateful for the tremendous work that Mr Strong and others have put forth to help us understand the scriptures better.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back