Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Bible Study There is a difference between spirit and soul...

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Hi all. I don't really know much scripture for what I'm going to say but I remember a preacher saying that when Adam was created he had body, spirit, and soul. When he sinned the spirit died, or was withdrawn and all his defendants were born with only body and soul. When we are born again, we are in dwelt by the holy spirit and therefore are restored to what we should have been before the fall, except the sinful body of course.

We are made in the image of god, now I'm not steping into modelism here, but if god is a trinity, wouldn't it make sence if there was 3 parts to us? Wether you agree or disagree, I think no one can deny a born again beloved has three components. Soul, body and holy spirit.

Pro 20:27 The spirit of a man [is] the lamp of the LORD, Searching all the inner depths of his heart.

Zec 12:1 The burden of the word of the LORD against Israel. Thus says the LORD, who stretches out the heavens, lays the foundation of the earth, and forms the spirit of man within him:

1Co 2:11 For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God.

The preacher is not preaching based on Scripture.

Sent from mobile.

Well their is more than one meaning for soul and spirit in the original languages and it makes sense to me. I wouldn't be dogmatic, but do you not think a believer has 3 parts?

The Soul and Spirit are two distinct things and cannot be interchanged…

The Greek equivalent of the Hebrew “nephesh†is “psuchee†and of its 103 occurrences in the New Testament, it is translated “life†41 times, “soul†57 times, “mind†3 times, “heart†1 time, and “heartily†once… it has NEVER been rendered “spiritâ€

The Greek word “pneuma†occurs about 385 times in the Greek Testament and all occurrences but one, is translated “spirit†(This one variation is in Rev. 13:15, Death, Mortality, Corruptibility, Decay or Destruction are never affirmed of the “spiritâ€.

It is in the nature of the case, impossible for a spirit to die. The Bible affirms deathlessness of the angels, angels are spirits, they do not die…
In every instance where the living are described as “spirit†or “ghost†is yielded up, it is ALWAYS â€neuma†(Spirit) and NEVER “psuchee†(Soul)…

The Soul and Spirit are two distinct things and cannot be interchanged…

The Greek equivalent of the Hebrew “nephesh†is “psuchee†and of its 103 occurrences in the New Testament, it is translated “life†41 times, “soul†57 times, “mind†3 times, “heart†1 time, and “heartily†once… it has NEVER been rendered “spiritâ€

The Greek word “pneuma†occurs about 385 times in the Greek Testament and all occurrences but one, is translated “spirit†(This one variation is in Rev. 13:15, Death, Mortality, Corruptibility, Decay or Destruction are never affirmed of the “spiritâ€.

It is in the nature of the case, impossible for a spirit to die. The Bible affirms deathlessness of the angels, angels are spirits, they do not die…
In every instance where the living are described as “spirit†or “ghost†is yielded up, it is ALWAYS “pneuma†(Spirit) and NEVER “psuchee†(Soul)…
Good post! I am not so full of pride as to claim I have it all figured out, but the for myself, when I am in the "soulish" realm, I know it, when in the "spirit" I also know that.

1Th 5:23

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

To me it seems clear in view of all scripture that we are in biblical terms 3 parts working together? I love this topic I hope others may have a honest view on it also?

Heb 4:12

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

CircleSpiritSoulandBody.jpg

this should explain.

CircleSpiritSoulandBody.jpg

this should explain.
Thanks and I have seen the charts, but I know its not a chart that I am seeking, There is more to it I believe? But I think thats a good chart! maybe the "?" in the middle is the secret? God Bless- Mitspa

not sure why but till you mentioned it i never noticed the ? in the middle'

maybe the "?" in the middle is the secret?
maybe the mystery paul writes about. ok so now you got me wondering....:study:readbible

I think it would be an accurate statement to say the soul encompasses our personality. The spirit gives life, and acts as our conscience or inner voice. It returns to God as his.

Our soul was made with free will and a blank tablet. The paths we choose serve to make us who we are. Hopefully we don't argue with the spirit.
Yes! who told you about the "blank tablet"? Very interesting! I would love to hear more of how you come to this view?

One of the salient differences between a soul and a spirit is that according to Mtt 10:28, souls are slated to be destroyed; while according to Rev 20:10, spirits aren't. That's very bad news for people destined to die in the reservoir of liquefied flame depicted at Rev 20:11-15.

However, though the bodies and souls of the damned will be put down via incineration in the reservoir, their remains will be preserved as perpetual nourishment for a curious species of fire-proof worm.

†. Isa 66:23-24 . . All humanity will come to worship me from week to week and from month to month. And as they go out, they will see the dead bodies of those who have rebelled against me. For the worms that devour them will never die, and the fire that burns them will never go out. All who pass by will view them with utter horror.

†. Mrk 9:47 . . If your eye causes you to sin, gouge it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell, where their worm does not die, and the fire is never quenched.

Buen Camino
/

• Soul is who we, in simple words, the conscience of us. It is a term to refer a person.
  • Spirit is more like an electricity to a machine, that is provide by God that makes each man to live. It is the spirit that gives life. Without the spirit, flesh is dead.

Flesh + Spirit = living soul.

When we die, we become a dead soul.

However, a dead soul does not mean it is destroyed.

(Matt 10:28) "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

The spirit in a man is separate from the soul....although it is to be found as a chamber within it. Our spirits are containers of God's presence...when they are quickened. The natural electricity is not from our spirits....they were dead before regeneration.

The spirit in a man is located in the smaller part of the heart. Like the holy of holies is the smaller part of the tabernacle. As the presence of God is shed abroad in our hearts...our behaviour changes to reflect the love of God into the world.

When we die our souls do not...just the body dies. God is the God of the living. The soul is dealt with at judgment day. Until then the soul continues to live.

I came to this view after reading how we should write the word of the Lord upon the tablet of our hearts. When we are born we know nothing and have nothing upon our heart. What we think about, learn, and dwell on are the things that get written upon our heart. This is very important to us because out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks.
This could be the "childlike attitude" the Lord so desires in His people? interesting! God Bless- Mitspa

Hi all. I don't really know much scripture for what I'm going to say but I remember a preacher saying that when Adam was created he had body, spirit, and soul. When he sinned the spirit died, or was withdrawn and all his defendants were born with only body and soul. When we are born again, we are in dwelt by the holy spirit and therefore are restored to what we should have been before the fall, except the sinful body of course.

We are made in the image of god, now I'm not steping into modelism here, but if god is a trinity, wouldn't it make sence if there was 3 parts to us? Wether you agree or disagree, I think no one can deny a born again beloved has three components. Soul, body and holy spirit.

Here are your scriptures.

The Father speaking of Jesus
Matthew 12:18

King James Version (KJV)

18 Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles.

Jesus is God come in the flesh/body.

We are :
1 Thessalonians 5:23

King James Version (KJV)

23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Hebrews 4:12

King James Version (KJV)

12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Strongs Concordance: GK #5590 psyche
2) the soul

a) the seat of the feelings, desires, affections, aversions (our heart, soul etc.)

b) the (human) soul in so far as it is constituted that by the right use of the aids offered it by God it can attain its highest end and secure eternal blessedness, the soul regarded as a moral being designed for everlasting life

c) the soul as an essence which differs from the body and is not dissolved by death (distinguished from other parts of the body)

spirit - GK (4151) pneuma

1) the third person of the triune God, the Holy Spirit, coequal, coeternal with the Father and the Son

a) sometimes referred to in a way which emphasises his personality and character (the "Holy" Spirit)

b) sometimes referred to in a way which emphasises his work and power (the Spirit of "Truth")

c) never referred to as a depersonalised force

2) the spirit, i.e. the vital principal by which the body is animated

a) the rational spirit, the power by which the human being feels, thinks, decides

b) the soul

3) a spirit, i.e. a simple essence, devoid of all or at least all grosser matter, and possessed of the power of knowing, desiring, deciding, and acting

a) a life giving spirit

b) a human soul that has left the body

c) a spirit higher than man but lower than God, i.e. an angel

1) used of demons, or evil spirits, who were conceived as inhabiting the bodies of men

2) the spiritual nature of Christ, higher than the highest angels and equal to God, the divine nature of Christ

4) the disposition or influence which fills and governs the soul of any one

a) the efficient source of any power, affection, emotion, desire, etc.

5) a movement of air (a gentle blast)

a) of the wind, hence the wind itself

b) breath of nostrils or mouth

The exact same Greek word is used for spirit and soul in all three verses.

God- is spirit and soul with a body in Jesus
Us- spirit and soul with a body

Made in God's image?

The passage clearly states there is a difference between spirit and soul, but also compares the two by stating what else the word of God pierces. Joints and marrow, and thoughts and intents of the heart.

What then are the functions of the soul and spirit, though they seems closely intertwined.

In 1 Thessalonians 5:23 Paul clearly divides man into three distinct parts. “And the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely, and your whole [being]; the spirit and the soul and the body be kept blameless in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ.†Here Paul points out that the whole man is composed of three distinct parts, “the spirit and the soul and the body.â€

I wonder if he would also exchange “even†for “and†in Matthew 28:19 The verse would then read this way; “Go ye therefore, and disciple all nations, baptizing them into the name of the Father, even of the Son, even of the Holy Spirit.

Those who are "discipled" are to be baptized; they were not to baptize "all the nations," but those of "all nations" who were "discipled." "Baptizing them" means those who receive the teachings. The baptism is to be done "into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit." The name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit means the combined authority of the Godhead. To be baptized into this is to be brought by baptism into actual subjection to the combined authority of heaven. To be baptized into the name of these three brings one into covenant relation with the Godhead. Baptism is, therefore, not only a sacred act of obedience, but it brings one into the fullness of the blessings of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Christ is a universal Savior and his gospel is a universal gospel; obedience to him brings one into all the blessings which God has to give to man.

It's been explained to me and probably many others that we are like the egg, body is the shell, soul the white and the yolk the spirit, or as concentric circles, with the innermost the spirit, the next one out the soul and the last and biggest one the body. That is the body encapsulates the soul, with the spirit the most hidden part of us.

Don't know if this helps much because it doesn't explain their functions until you add in that the body is the container for both soul and spirit and the one with direct contact with the outside world.

The soul has been said to be the mind, will and emotions, in contact with the bodily senses and function. The spirit, of course, is the container of the intermingled human and divine Spirit in a believer. It is dead, to God at least, in the unsaved, apparently.

About the functions then, you'd have to say the body is what keeps us earthbound and sensible to the outside world. The soul is more free, in that it is what allows us to think beyond the body, have feelings for others and and God and to choose what we do in the world.

The spirit, intermingled with God's, makes us divine and powerful. Too bad it can take so long for the the mind to inform itself and the body that the spirit is meant to be in control of the whole of the person!

I thought this was very well stated by you.

Another would be to see three circles interlinked as the links in a chain. To the right is our spirit, to the left is our body, and in the middle is our soul linking the other two together.
Our spirit is dead until it is regenerated (made a new creature in Christ) when we are born again.
Our soul is NOT regenerated, if it were then our thoughts, emotions, and actions be be ALWAYS in agreement with the Holy Spirit.
Our body is just that, a body of flesh and bone and we know that it was not regenerated.
So by process of elimination we can see that it is our spirit that is reborn when the Holy Spirit in dwells us at the new birth.
2 Corinthians 5:17-18

King James Version (KJV)

17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
18 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;

We are to renew our minds by the Word. As we learn from the Holy Spirit our minds are brought into agreement with the Holy Spirit and our spirit which has been made new in Christ. However, the transformation of our bodies and our souls will not be complete until we go to be with the Lord. Our souls have been corrupted by the old man, that sin nature, by the things of this world, and by the temptor, the accuser of the brothern. But in Christ we share in His victory at the Cross.
James 1:21

King James Version (KJV)

21 Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.

Here the word souls is in the GK psyche, thoughts, emotions, etc

I purpose that everything we need to walk in strength, in wisdom, power, etc has already been perfected in our spirit, in Christ. The empowering of the Holy Spirit.
To have love, joy, peace, etc. To obey the Law of Love
John 3:6

King James Version (KJV)

6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
Proverbs 20:27

King James Version (KJV)

27 The spirit of man is the candle of the Lord, searching all the inward parts of the belly

John 7:38

King James Version (KJV)

38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

Another would be to see three circles interlinked as the links in a chain. To the right is our spirit, to the left is our body, and in the middle is our soul linking the other two together.
Our spirit is dead until it is regenerated (made a new creature in Christ) when we are born again.
Our soul is NOT regenerated, if it were then our thoughts, emotions, and actions be be ALWAYS in agreement with the Holy Spirit.
Our body is just that, a body of flesh and bone and we know that it was not regenerated.
So by process of elimination we can see that it is our spirit that is reborn when the Holy Spirit in dwells us at the new birth.
2 Corinthians 5:17-18

King James Version (KJV)

17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
18 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;

We are to renew our minds by the Word. As we learn from the Holy Spirit our minds are brought into agreement with the Holy Spirit and our spirit which has been made new in Christ. However, the transformation of our bodies and our souls will not be complete until we go to be with the Lord. Our souls have been corrupted by the old man, that sin nature, by the things of this world, and by the temptor, the accuser of the brothern. But in Christ we share in His victory at the Cross.
James 1:21

King James Version (KJV)

21 Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.

Here the word souls is in the GK psyche, thoughts, emotions, etc

I purpose that everything we need to walk in strength, in wisdom, power, etc has already been perfected in our spirit, in Christ. The empowering of the Holy Spirit.
To have love, joy, peace, etc. To obey the Law of Love
John 3:6

King James Version (KJV)

6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
Proverbs 20:27

King James Version (KJV)

27 The spirit of man is the candle of the Lord, searching all the inward parts of the belly

John 7:38

King James Version (KJV)

38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
Some really good post! :thumbsup

not sure why but till you mentioned it i never noticed the ? in the middle'

maybe the mystery paul writes about. ok so now you got me wondering....:study:readbible

What about the links in a chain. Spirit on one end, body on the other, soul in the middle connected to both the spirit and the body?

What about the links in a chain. Spirit on one end, body on the other, soul in the middle connected to both the spirit and the body?
Maybe the "?" is the"conscience" where all three are brought together?:chin

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back