Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Bible Study There is a difference between spirit and soul...

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Good post! I am not so full of pride as to claim I have it all figured out, but the for myself, when I am in the "soulish" realm, I know it, when in the "spirit" I also know that.

1Th 5:23

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

To me it seems clear in view of all scripture that we are in biblical terms 3 parts working together? I love this topic I hope others may have a honest view on it also?

Heb 4:12

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

As Hebrews 4:12 clearly says "piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit" it is evident they are two distinct things, the "Soul" is life, when he breathed into the nostrils of Adam, he simply made him "alive" and the scripture does not denote the "Spirit", the Hebrew word used in Gen. 2:7 is (nish-math khay-yim) meaning literally "breath of lives" (it is in plural form), it occurs in similar form in three other instances in the early chapter of Genesis, Gen. 6:17, Gen. 7:15, and Gen. 7:22.

Int the first of these the phrase is "rauch khay-yim", in the second the same, and in the third "nishmatch-rauch khay-yim".

And out of the four instances where the phrase "breath of lives" occurs in our translation, the last three are applied to the "beasts, birds and creeping things".

It follows then that the phrase "breath of life" does not designate anything peculiar to man, it simply means "life".

As Hebrews 4:12 clearly says "piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit" it is evident they are two distinct things, the "Soul" is life, when he breathed into the nostrils of Adam, he simply made him "alive" and the scripture does not denote the "Spirit", the Hebrew word used in Gen. 2:7 is (nish-math khay-yim) meaning literally "breath of lives" (it is in plural form), it occurs in similar form in three other instances in the early chapter of Genesis, Gen. 6:17, Gen. 7:15, and Gen. 7:22.

Int the first of these the phrase is "rauch khay-yim", in the second the same, and in the third "nishmatch-rauch khay-yim".

And out of the four instances where the phrase "breath of lives" occurs in our translation, the last three are applied to the "beasts, birds and creeping things".

It follows then that the phrase "breath of life" does not designate anything peculiar to man, it simply means "life".

Not sure of your point? How one could relate what you have posted to the New Testament use of the term? Not that you did not make a good point, but I am very simple, could you please explain further?

I use Spiros Zodhiates Greek Dictionary. 5590 soul = vitality, life, breath, the immaterial part of man held in common with animals, rational and natural faculties i.e. senses, desires, affection, appetites, passion.

Spirit: 5141 is the part of man which can communicate with God.

Rom. 8:16 NKJV The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Gal 6:18

Eph 1:17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of Glory, may give you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of Him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Spiros Zodhiates Greek Dictionary. 5590 soul = vitality, life, breath, the immaterial part of man held in common with animals, rational and natural faculties i.e. senses, desires, affection, appetites, passion.

Spirit: 5141 is the part of man which can communicate with God.

Rom. 8:16 NKJV The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Gal 6:18

Eph 1:17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of Glory, may give you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of Him.

This is my understanding as well.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by rrowell
The Soul and Spirit are two distinct things and cannot be interchanged…

The Greek equivalent of the Hebrew “nephesh” is “psuchee” and of its 103 occurrences in the New Testament, it is translated “life” 41 times, “soul” 57 times, “mind” 3 times, “heart” 1 time, and “heartily” once… it has NEVER been rendered “spirit”

The Greek word “pneuma” occurs about 385 times in the Greek Testament and all occurrences but one, is translated “spirit” (This one variation is in Rev. 13:15, Death, Mortality, Corruptibility, Decay or Destruction are never affirmed of the “spirit”.

It is in the nature of the case, impossible for a spirit to die. The Bible affirms deathlessness of the angels, angels are spirits, they do not die…
In every instance where the living are described as “spirit” or “ghost” is yielded up, it is ALWAYS “pneuma” (Spirit) and NEVER “psuchee” (Soul)…
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by rrowell

Not sure of your point? How one could relate what you have posted to the New Testament use of the term? Not that you did not make a good point, but I am very simple, could you please explain further?

Sure Mitspa,

The point I first made in a previous post (re-quoted above)showed how the New Testament proves a Soul and Spirit are not interchangeable terms, and it was supportive of your use and example of Hebrews 4:12 that shows if the two can be separated, that alone says they are two separate things operating as one in a man.

In the last post (also re-quoted above), I did the same thing only using the Old Testament as evidence that this stands true even from the beginning, some falsely use Gen. 2:7 to prove when God breathed into Adams nostrils he received his Spirit, when in fact the scripture does not address his Spirit but his Soul, simply meaning he gave him "life" as he did the birds, beasts, and creeping things...

Because of the choice of words in the translation to English, Gen. 2:7 and other scripture has caused many to believe the Spirit and Soul are one of the same.

Hope this clears my posts up for you or anyone else :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure Mitspa,

The point I first made in a previous post (re-quoted above)showed how the New Testament proves a Soul and Spirit are not interchangeable terms, and it was supportive of your use and example of Hebrews 4:12 that shows if the two can be separated, that alone says they are two separate things operating as one in a man.

In the last post (also re-quoted above), I did the same thing only using the Old Testament as evidence that this stands true even from the beginning, some falsely use Gen. 2:7 to prove when God breathed into Adams nostrils he received his Spirit, when in fact the scripture does not address his Spirit but his Soul, simply meaning he gave him "life" as he did the birds, beasts, and creeping things...

Because of the choice of words in the translation to English, Gen. 2:7 and other scripture has caused many to believe the Spirit and Soul are one of the same.

Hope this clears my posts up for you or anyone else :)

Even I can understand now:) I agree!

I think it would be an accurate statement to say the soul encompasses our personality. The spirit gives life, and acts as our conscience or inner voice. It returns to God as his.

Our soul was made with free will and a blank tablet. The paths we choose serve to make us who we are. Hopefully we don't argue with the spirit.

Yes, and I really like the free will and a blank tablet what a descriptive way to understand.

I also think our spirit is the part of us that is reborn (new creature). Our soul that is in the processes of being renewed or regenerated will be completed when our spirit returns to God.

I came to this view after reading how we should write the word of the Lord upon the tablet of our hearts. When we are born we know nothing and have nothing upon our heart. What we think about, learn, and dwell on are the things that get written upon our heart. This is very important to us because out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks.

Yes and it's so important when we are raising children or have children in our homes and lives that we always write the things of the Lord on their hearts. It's best we have that tablet full of HIM before the world does.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back