Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Thoughts on Joel Osteen

I believe Joel Osteen is a false prophet. Like Brother Blake says he is more motivation speaker that preacher. I do not and will never support his ministry. He is just another one of those false teachers the Lord warned us about that would come around at the end times. I pray for him because he might get by with with what he is saying now but he won't when he faces judgment.
have you listen to him recently? have you watched him online been to his church? I have a least given him a fair shake. I have listened to him about a year ago. I have no care for his style. if we are going to call someone a false prophet we best be sure he is one or she is one. all too often the internet is full of half truths. im sure some might say the same bout me

Any thoughts on Mary Jane?
No....it's not what you drugged out '60's hippies think it is.
"The lyrics to Nick's "Hazey Jane II" spoke, as do so many of his songs, of an inability to fit in with a world "so crowded that you can't look out the window in the morning". At least that's what my source, a simple Mr. Google search, told me when I looked it a moment ago. And while listening to the song, I think I would agree.​
Mary Jane is, of course, slang for marijuana and certainly a hazy, dreamy quality pervades many of Drake's compositions, expressed most vividly here in his descriptions of Mary Jane's "brightly coloured rings". However, the overriding theme in this song is a typical one of Drake's: the mystery of other people. "Who can know the reasons for her smile?" he asks at one point. "What are her dreams when they've journeyed for a mile?"​

I love trading with friends, and thank you again for offering of your best.
Here's one of mine: quoted from "The Prophet" by Kahlil Gibran On Love

Last edited:
Blake, everything you say matters. Your opinion does matter.See, harsh is when your believing God for something, and the enemy has a right because you put your mouth on one of God's ministers. That is how it works, you have to be judged the same, and the devils only get to us through God's word, as they can't violate it. They spend a whole bunch of time trying to get us mad at each other, because they know that is the place they can have.

Joel preaches what He is suppose to. His church is filled with mostly young believers, the more mature ones leave all the time. You turn on Joel, and find out God loves you, He wants you wealthy and in a good place. No question what your going to hear, so that consistency is what is needed, because God can send the folks that just need to know they are loved over to Joel.

If you were preaching, and the Lord told you to to speak of the evils of not washing dishes, then that is what you preach. You make notes, get ready, but as soon as you step up to preach, the Lord says...... Dishes Blake, tell them about the dishes.
What are you suppose to do? Tell God NO.

When we Judge someone like Joel, we have to take everything with that Judgement. Joel only keeps 6.8% of what comes in his business. Just by default the enemy has a right to stop our money from just a normal job to being at 6.8 percent effective of what we bring in. We might not have a issue with what Joel makes, but we put down the mans calling and Job. That means bills get behind, every single time.

So, here is what I want you to do. When in the store at Walmart, and the lines are slow, instead of mentioning how slow they are, say, "All is well."

If some Jerk cuts you off while driving, say, "All is well."

Gas prices to high? "All is well."

For me, it was Milk prices, I use to run around claiming they are milking Golden cows, has to be it. That is not good ...... "All is Well."

Someone at home, are the ones that really set us off, a good place to find out how spiritual we really are.... Instead of getting upset, say. "All is well."

So, before you say something... Say, "All is well." then measure how many times it came to mind that you were suppose to say, "All is well."

If your willing to speak about Joel, I can promise that is just a surface issue. I have story, after story of harvest coming to pass quickly for just saying one thing about someone, and I am not trying to be mean, I want you to see it also.
This post is much harder to argue with, LOL.

I've reaped a harvest on wrong things I've said and done. I have also been tempted by things in which I've judged people before. Gasp: Blake is an imperfect man! More at 6. ;)

But seriously though, I'd like to avoid all that. What you're saying here resonated with me. I don't want to build my personal ministry by slandering the ministry of another. If Joel is a milk and honey preacher and God has no use for him as a hell fire and brimstone preacher, that may very well be the case and it is none of my business. If he is false, the Lord will see it revealed in His way and in His time.

I believe underneath your cantankerous veneer you really want to help people Brother Mike. I'm sorry for taking up a haughty tone against you and for thinking evil against you and I hope we can walk in mutual forgiveness. I've learned a couple of things from our dialogue and feel all the better for it. Sometimes though I think you may lose ground on otherwise wisdom-filled posts by letting your zeal take the reigns and, in your passion for truth, waxing overly harsh. I'm not criticizing you here, I just know that a lot of people aren't too receptive after being insulted.

All is well.

~ Blake

Reactions: WIP
I like Joel Osteen.
Those few time when I was sick, down and out and couldn't make it to church, I would watch Joel Osteen.
And he would always give me a lift that I needed.
And that's more than I can say for any of the others on tv.
Well Jessie Duplantis and Joyce Meyer. You see my thing is that God makes all kinds of preachers, you don't have to be fire and Brimstone to be a effective preacher, many preachers have different styles and they get hung out to dry because of it. Some preachers have a specialty that they can preach in, like Joyce does. Then you have the phony preachers. that rather build up members for money reasons and prestige. Some preachers do not have to preach about hell, because God has assigned them to preach about specific things, Like Joyce and Jessie does. People are always down on Joyce but I think that she does a good job.

I believe Joel Osteen is a false prophet. Like Brother Blake says he is more motivation speaker that preacher. I do not and will never support his ministry. He is just another one of those false teachers the Lord warned us about that would come around at the end times. I pray for him because he might get by with with what he is saying now but he won't when he faces judgment.

I agree with you.

Philippians 3:10-11 I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead.

We just don't hear the saving power of Jesus and his resurrection from Joel. I have listened to him many times, to see if he talks about Jesus. Nope. Could be any God he talks about. The words he speaks are only from his own mouth. (positive words, but not saving words) When we are drowning, we need a life saver thrown at us........not a rubber ducky.

Last edited:
Ahhh... the note of self-depreciation. Blake? I'm sparrow and although we've not met, I'm a fan of yours. But don't let that go to your head, and I know you won't, because you already know that this kind of fan club is just because we see Christ in each other. Hence, your opinion is worth next to everything. Isn't it? But that's only because the Worthy speaks through us too. He doesn't speak Greek and Aramaic and Hebrew only. (Did Jesus study and speak Hebrew while he was here? I'm unsure.) But that's beside the point; He speaks sparrow and He speaks Blake fluently. He knows us very well, intimately, that is. You are worth more than many sparrows or at least more than a couple assarions, whatever they are! BOOM!
Hi Sparrow, God bless you and keep you!

You're right to detect a hint of self-depreciation in my posts. It isn't from a place of self-hatred or low esteem for myself, but rather a result of God's humbling work in my life. I stumbled upon a quote by St. John Chrysostom once, the 5th century patriarch of Constantinople, outlining the five paths of repentance:

"Would you like me to list also the paths of repentance? They are numerous and quite varied, and all lead to heaven.

A first path of repentance is the condemnation of your own sins: Be the first to admit your sins and you will be justified. For this reason, too, the prophet wrote: 'I said: I will accuse myself of my sins to the Lord, and you forgave the wickedness of my heart.' Therefore, you too should condemn your own sins; that will be enough reason for the Lord to forgive you, for a man who condemns his own sins is slower to commit them again. Rouse your conscience to accuse you within your own house, lest it become your accuser before the judgment seat of the Lord.

That, then, is one very good path of repentance. Another and no less valuable one is to put out of our minds the harm done us by our enemies, in order to master our anger, and to forgive our fellow servants' sins against us. Then our own sins against the Lord will be forgiven us. Thus you have another way to atone for sin: For if you forgive your debtors, your heavenly Father will forgive you.

Do you want to know of a third path? It consists of prayer that is fervent, careful and comes from the heart.

If you want to hear of a fourth, I will mention almsgiving, whose power is great and far-reaching.

If, moreover, a man lives a modest, humble life, that, no less than the other things I have mentioned, takes sin away. Proof of this is the tax-collector who had no good deeds to mention, but offered his humility instead and was relieved of a heavy burden of sins.

Thus I have shown you five paths of repentance; condemnation of your own sins, forgiveness of our neighbor's sins against us, prayer, almsgiving and humility.

Do not be idle, then, but walk daily in all these paths; they are easy, and you cannot plead your poverty. For, though you live out your life amid great need, you can always set aside your wrath, be humble, pray diligently and condemn your own sins; poverty is no hindrance. Poverty is not an obstacle to our carrying out the Lord's bidding, even when it comes to that path of repentance which involves giving money (almsgiving, I mean). The widow proved that when she put her two mites into the box!

Now that we have learned how to heal these wounds of ours, let us apply the cures. Then, when we have regained genuine health, we can approach the holy table with confidence, go gloriously to meet Christ, the king of glory, and attain the eternal blessings through the grace, mercy and kindness of Jesus Christ, our Lord."

In my own walk, the Lord has been exceedingly great and merciful to bless me with humility, forgiveness, and self-condemnation. My almsgiving and prayer could use some work.

Truth is, pride has been a tricky sin for me in my life. It has led me to many falls -- painful, humiliating falls which have worked towards my salvation but nevertheless were hard lessons learned. I have been prone to thinking and acting like a pharisee at times, loving people less on account of them not holding to my standard of how a Christian should behave, forgetting to love them while somehow thinking myself better. As though saving grace isn't my only plea, too.

I think often on my sins, which are many. I fall short daily. In times past I've let it drag me into despair, which is in error, but these days I try to keep a fair balance in mind of God's grace and my own shortcomings. I try to be open and transparent on these forums and in my "real" life about my sins lest anyone should get too lofty an image of me in their mind. It took me awhile to understand how Paul felt when he said that he was the least in the kingdom. I can understand also when people deem to think that my humble nature stems also from pride, but that isn't the case. Even just there I feel a sting in trying to justify myself, when I am unjust.

Still, I wanted to share this so that it's understood that I don't despair my wretched state, I know that the Lord indeed loves me, but I don't presume to be so lofty as to think highly of myself. Although I may boldly approach the mercy seat and I have a chair at the Master's table, I know it isn't of my own merit, but because of the amazing grace and goodness of God whom lovest mankind. It is nothing I have done, or can do, to deserve, and stands as a great mystery that do not wither in His presence like hay in the face of fire.

I'm not the only one who can wax verbose around here? :salute

Thank you for the reply. Looking forward to getting to know you better, but alas, it may be from afar. I am stretching my 10 day, doctor ordered, no driving restriction and staying at home an extra day or two. But I'll be outta here soon. My typical habit (for the past year) is to come back and read but just don't log in.

So, I will look forward to getting to know you better. And that's also why I intro'd myself as a fan (kind-of). What would be more accurate or at least, more informative would have been if I had said that I was lurking and not logged in when I first started reading things you posted, way back some 500 messages or so ago...

:bible Godspeed to you, Brother Blake. Thank you for your frank insights given to your heart as the Lord leads. I enjoy collecting unique friends.

This post is much harder to argue with, LOL.

I've reaped a harvest on wrong things I've said and done. I have also been tempted by things in which I've judged people before. Gasp: Blake is an imperfect man! More at 6. ;)

But seriously though, I'd like to avoid all that. What you're saying here resonated with me. I don't want to build my personal ministry by slandering the ministry of another. If Joel is a milk and honey preacher and God has no use for him as a hell fire and brimstone preacher, that may very well be the case and it is none of my business. If he is false, the Lord will see it revealed in His way and in His time.

I believe underneath your cantankerous veneer you really want to help people Brother Mike. I'm sorry for taking up a haughty tone against you and for thinking evil against you and I hope we can walk in mutual forgiveness. I've learned a couple of things from our dialogue and feel all the better for it. Sometimes though I think you may lose ground on otherwise wisdom-filled posts by letting your zeal take the reigns and, in your passion for truth, waxing overly harsh. I'm not criticizing you here, I just know that a lot of people aren't too receptive after being insulted.

All is well.

~ Blake

Your hard headed. It's a gift, in that your not easy to sway, but also it can hinder trying to get something across. If I don't upset you some, then the Lord and I can get your attention. Some issues in your life that have come up, has been because of things coming back the Word promised in the area of what you say about others, being impatient, even little things. So, as imperfect as we know we are, we have to cut the judgement out, and speak no guile against anyone. That alone, means we never get judged, and have great grace when we really screw it up good.

The Wife!!! (one example out of many)
We had a Dodge Caravan, that had the electrical go out. Our turn signals, power windows, it was a mess, but it was the only thing we had to drive. Wife and I prayed, asked God for the money to fix it. God blessed us, and it came in, all 800.00 to re-wire everything again, and fix the shorts. The day we got it out of the shop, everything was working, even our turn singles.

Now drive a vehicle around for 6 months with no turn signals. People get really happy about that, but nothing we could do, it's what we had.

So, we are driving along, the wife is driving, and some lady in front of her slams on her breaks and turns. All the wife said, was "Nice turn single lady."

Just then the Lord spoke to me. He said, "And so is the end of your turn signals. For the mercy you had no tickets, and with the money I gave, yet, tell the wife as she has judged, so have I."

I looked at the wife, and said, you just killed 800.00 worth of work, the turn signals will quit again, because you did not show the same thought of mercy, the Lord showed us.

It was just a few minutes and no more turn signals, and a burning smell. I thank God it was a lesson, and not a life or death thing. That is how powerful it is Blake, it works just like that. Not worth it man, best to wave and smile boys. You can P.M me for my wife's number to verify. She has some other things she screwed up, you might want to hear...... Me, You know I am perfect... cough...cough....cough..

If I did not hear God and did not care, I would have never kept bothering with you. Lord see's something in you, and so do I.

Blessings.

Well Jessie Duplantis and Joyce Meyer. You see my thing is that God makes all kinds of preachers, you don't have to be fire and Brimstone to be a effective preacher, many preachers have different styles and they get hung out to dry because of it. Some preachers have a specialty that they can preach in, like Joyce does. Then you have the phony preachers. that rather build up members for money reasons and prestige. Some preachers do not have to preach about hell, because God has assigned them to preach about specific things, Like Joyce and Jessie does. People are always down on Joyce but I think that she does a good job.

Jessie comes and preaches at our church at times, the guy is funny, and at times I almost wish he would not get serious and get on scriptures. I like Joyce also, her books really helped me out in Prison,and thankful she sent all of them in abundance to us. Not everyone is everyone's cup of tea, and we do need to move on and grow as the Lord directs. Also, you can't build on foundation if none is there, the people won't get it, but you can keep building on members that have been there for a few years, and go deeper and deeper.

In my early years I got a whole lot of help from Peter Ruckman, a KJV only Baptist hell fire, Anti Word of Faith Preacher. His perspective on the authority of the Word of God really helped me understand that Scripture trumps everything.

Being the body, at times we need to go hear the eye, then go over and hear what the ear is saying. Joel does really good with folks who the World has mistreated, and they think God is mad at them. He might play the same tune all the time, but it's the turn someone needed to hear.

Blessings.

Mike.

have you listen to him recently? have you watched him online been to his church? I have a least given him a fair shake. I have listened to him about a year ago. I have no care for his style. if we are going to call someone a false prophet we best be sure he is one or she is one. all too often the internet is full of half truths. im sure some might say the same bout me
I have listened to him, looked at his books, and seen him on some shows. He did a whole one hour interview about a year ago and didn't mention Jesus at all. He is in with the motivational speaker crowd but he put a Jesus stamp on it. He has a church a 43,000 in Houston, TX and yet the city remains unchanged. If he were a true preacher of the life changing word that would not happen. Just go back and read about people like Georg Whitfield and John Wesley. They shut down bars in whole towns a brought them to their knees in repentance. I have not seen that from the Osteen ministry, have you?

1 Tim. 6:
6 But godliness with contentment is great gain.
7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.
9 But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.
10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

11 But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.

I spent a considerable amount of "blind time" in the charismatic realm.

They are religious phonies, through and through.

It's strictly business. Getting people's money is their business. And they use [abuse] "God" to do this. People are dumb enough to pay them.

Their schtick is always the same: "Pay me, and God will bless you. Don't pay, and you'll suffer."

I spent a considerable amount of "blind time" in the charismatic realm.

They are religious phonies, through and through.

It's strictly business. Getting people's money is their business. And they use [abuse] "God" to do this. People are dumb enough to pay them.

Their schtick is always the same: "Pay me, and God will bless you. Don't pay, and you'll suffer."
You spent a lot of time amongst blind charismatics, but the charismatic realm in and of itself isn't blind. I agree that it's abused, though, because people who lack discernment can't tell the difference between emotion and spirit. It's sad that folks are so easily mislead by these wolves... sometimes I believe that these wolves have been sent as a punishment against people who haven't taken it upon themselves to learn and know any better.

You spent a lot of time amongst blind charismatics, but the charismatic realm in and of itself isn't blind. I agree that it's abused, though, because people who lack discernment can't tell the difference between emotion and spirit. It's sad that folks are so easily mislead by these wolves... sometimes I believe that these wolves have been sent as a punishment against people who haven't taken it upon themselves to learn and know any better.
The leaders of all these various sects are utterly, and I mean UTTERLY, corrupt. These men are walking talking demons of deception.

That doesn't mean I don't think they'll be saved. I believe they will be saved.

BUT that does not address the "entirety" of what they really are, in the flesh. I view every "lump of me" as Paul directed to view, in Romans 9:18-24.

There are "scriptural ways" Paul provided to distinguish one vessel from the other.

Jessie comes and preaches at our church at times, the guy is funny, and at times I almost wish he would not get serious and get on scriptures. I like Joyce also, her books really helped me out in Prison,and thankful she sent all of them in abundance to us. Not everyone is everyone's cup of tea, and we do need to move on and grow as the Lord directs. Also, you can't build on foundation if none is there, the people won't get it, but you can keep building on members that have been there for a few years, and go deeper and deeper.

In my early years I got a whole lot of help from Peter Ruckman, a KJV only Baptist hell fire, Anti Word of Faith Preacher. His perspective on the authority of the Word of God really helped me understand that Scripture trumps everything.

Being the body, at times we need to go hear the eye, then go over and hear what the ear is saying. Joel does really good with folks who the World has mistreated, and they think God is mad at them. He might play the same tune all the time, but it's the turn someone needed to hear.

Blessings.

Mike.
Now that is what I am talking about.

I have listened to him, looked at his books, and seen him on some shows. He did a whole one hour interview about a year ago and didn't mention Jesus at all. He is in with the motivational speaker crowd but he put a Jesus stamp on it. He has a church a 43,000 in Houston, TX and yet the city remains unchanged. If he were a true preacher of the life changing word that would not happen. Just go back and read about people like Georg Whitfield and John Wesley. They shut down bars in whole towns a brought them to their knees in repentance. I have not seen that from the Osteen ministry, have you?
Noah preached 100 yes.8 saved.Jesus preached and did miracles at his death 120 saved.surely can't see that
Pastor a drain Rogers preached in my county.his first church still is around.he preached in Fort pierce. Yet these counties are the same.

(While the Doublemint Twins would say an identical pair is better than one, there is a preference for a single post here - instead of a duplicate, too!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Joel Osteen just seems like he wants to get people to Christ, so he takes a soft stance on some things. I dunno...having had my fill of fire and brimstone preaching at a younger age, I don't see what the big deal is...he basically hugs people to The Cross instead of scaring them.

Joyce Meyers...I kinda sorta like her. Not her biggest fan, but her Battlefield of The Mind was somewhat helpful to me, some of her preaching is insightful and creative, so...yup yup. I think Christians are often too critical of each other.

Back