Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Three Days and Three Nights

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
ProphetMark said:
Matthew 28 says they found the empty tomb at dawn, Sunday morning. Where does the bible say that Jesus had risen 12 hours earlier?
Common sense.
#1 If He was already risen when they went to the tomb at dawn then He had to of risen before dawn.
#2 If He died at 3pm, and laid in the tomb at sunset, the He would have had to rise at sunset to fulfill the three days and three nights prophecy. If He would have risen until dawn that would have constituted a 4th night.

Some more questions about Wednesday crucifixion.

How do you deal with these two verses?

Luke 24:21 But we were hoping that it was He who was going to redeem Israel. Indeed, besides all this, today is the third day since these things happened.

Mark 16:9 Now when He rose early on the first day of the week, He appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom He had cast seven demons.

watchman F said:
ProphetMark said:
Matthew 28 says they found the empty tomb at dawn, Sunday morning. Where does the bible say that Jesus had risen 12 hours earlier?
Common sense.
#1 If He was already risen when they went to the tomb at dawn then He had to of risen before dawn.
#2 If He died at 3pm, and laid in the tomb at sunset, the He would have had to rise at sunset to fulfill the three days and three nights prophecy. If He would have risen until dawn that would have constituted a 4th night.
It could have been an hour before dawn. And it's confirmation that the prophecy was indeed fulfilled that I'm looking for.

einstein said:
I have a basic question. Was Jesus crucified on the first day of Passover?

Yes!

But just so you are understand; God's Passover is only one day. The next day is the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, which lasts for another (7) days. The first day of the feast is a sabbath and the (7th) last day of the feast is a sabbath. Let's confirm with the word of God;

Lev.23
[4] These are the feasts of the LORD, even holy convocations, which ye shall proclaim in their seasons.
[5] In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the LORD's passover.

One day only. Let's continue;

[6] And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread unto the LORD: seven days ye must eat unleavened bread.
[7] In the first day ye shall have an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein.
[8] But ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD seven days: in the seventh day is an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein.

The first day of the feast and the seventh day of the feast are sabbaths. We know this because God gives us the same conditions He gives us for His 7th day weekly sabbath; "...Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein:..."

Hope this helps!

Eccl12and13 said:
einstein said:
I have a basic question. Was Jesus crucified on the first day of Passover?

Yes!

But just so you are understand; God's Passover is only one day. The next day is the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, which lasts for another (7) days. The first day of the feast is a sabbath and the (7th) last day of the feast is a sabbath. Let's confirm with the word of God;

Lev.23
[4] These are the feasts of the LORD, even holy convocations, which ye shall proclaim in their seasons.
[5] In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the LORD's passover.

One day only. Let's continue;

[6] And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread unto the LORD: seven days ye must eat unleavened bread.
[7] In the first day ye shall have an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein.
[8] But ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD seven days: in the seventh day is an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein.

The first day of the feast and the seventh day of the feast are sabbaths. We know this because God gives us the same conditions He gives us for His 7th day weekly sabbath; "...Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein:..."

Hope this helps!

Well, I think there is a more fundamental problem that the 3 days and 3 nights. :)
The synoptic gospels all present the last supper as a Passover seder and they all state that Jesus was crucified the next day ie on the first day of Passover which by the Jewish calendar is the the 15th of Nissan. However the author of the book of John states " Now it was the day of preparation for the Passover... Then he handed him over to them to be crucified." In other words, John states that Jesus was crucified on the eve of Passover which would be the 14th of Nissan.

Also, according to John's gospel, when Judas departs from the last supper the disciples assume he is taking the money to buy food for the festive meal (13:29). It begs the question- why would Judas be buying food for the Passover meal (seder) when the synoptics say they had just eaten the Passover meal? So which is it? Was Jesus crucified on first day of Passover (Nissan 15) or was he crucified on the eve of Passover (Nissan 14). Both versions cannot be correct.

einstein said:
Well, I think there is a more fundamental problem that the 3 days and 3 nights. :)
The synoptic gospels all present the last supper as a Passover seder and they all state that Jesus was crucified the next day ie on the first day of Passover which by the Jewish calendar is the the 15th of Nissan. However the author of the book of John states " Now it was the day of preparation for the Passover... Then he handed him over to them to be crucified." In other words, John states that Jesus was crucified on the eve of Passover which would be the 14th of Nissan.

Also, according to John's gospel, when Judas departs from the last supper the disciples assume he is taking the money to buy food for the festive meal (13:29). It begs the question- why would Judas be buying food for the Passover meal (seder) when the synoptics say they had just eaten the Passover meal? So which is it? Was Jesus crucified on first day of Passover (Nissan 15) or was he crucified on the eve of Passover (Nissan 14). Both versions cannot be correct.

Thanks Einstein.
If I've done my homework correctly the "preparation day" is always a reference to the day before the weekly Sabbath. It may or may not be a reference to the day before a jewish festival like the Passover. That's another nail in the coffin for both Wednesday/Thursday crucifixion.

It seems like the scriptures are leaning toward Friday as the crucifixion day.

Thursday - Nisan 14 - Destruction of the temple begins
1st night

Friday - Nisan 15 - Crucifixion / Preparation Day
1st Day / 2nd night

Saturday - Nisan 16 - The weekly Sabbath.
2nd Day / 3rd night

Sunday - Resurrection of Christ
3rd Day

And this harmonizes with passages like Luke 24:21, Mark 16:9 and John 19:31

The only verse that may be problematic is the one Einstein mentioned which is
John 19:14 which says "preparation day of the Passover" instead of "sabbath" which Luke 23, Mark 15 state

archangel_300 said:
Thanks Einstein.
If I've done my homework correctly the "preparation day" is always a reference to the day before the weekly Sabbath. It may or may not be a reference to the day before a jewish festival like the Passover. That's another nail in the coffin for both Wednesday/Thursday crucifixion.

Sorry to hear you say that (truly i am ) I thought you were seeing truth with the help of others in this thread. I hope you do not re-laps

watchman F said:
[quote="archangel_300":2nvt6qvu]
Thanks Einstein.

Sorry to hear you say that (truly i am ) I thought you were seeing truth with the help of others in this thread. I hope you do not re-laps[/quote:2nvt6qvu]

Watchman... I could accept that Jesus was crucified on Wednesday but you or someone else has to convince me using sound reasoning.

If Christ was crucified on Nisan 14 you have the problem that Einstein stated... the gospels all indicate that Jesus celebrated Passover Seder which means that he must have been crucified on Nisan 15. I think all of us here agree that Jesus was crucified on Nisan 15 the first day of passover anyway.

If Christ was crucified on Nisan 15 the first day of Passover *AND* this was a Wednsday or Thursday.
You have a problem... how do you harmonize this with passages like the following?

Mark 15:42 Now when evening had come, because it was the Preparation Day, that is, the day before the Sabbath,

Luke 23:54 That day was the Preparation, and the Sabbath drew near.

What sabbath day comes after Nisan 15 the first day of the Passover? This can only occur if the Sabbath mentioned in these verses was the weekly Sabbath. (Unless someone else has another valid explanation)

Also no one has answered my question about this either:
Luke 24:21 But we were hoping that it was He who was going to redeem Israel. Indeed, besides all this, today is the third day since these things happened.

If Christ was crucified on Wednesday the apostles would have stated "today is the fourth day".

Mark 16:9 Now when He rose early on the first day of the week, He appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom He had cast seven demons.

I can accept that Christ was crucified on whatever day of the week but I need to be convinced using sound reasoning and the scriptures. Right now as it stands it's beginning to look like Wednesday has been crucified. :shrug

archangel_300 said:
Watchman... I could accept that Jesus was crucified on Wednesday but you or someone else has to convince me using sound reasoning.
ok, as sound as reason can get. Do you believe Jesus rose on Sunday? If so then it would be biblically impossible for Him to have died Friday seeing as that would have meant He would have rose after 1 day and 2 nights. Jesus made a clear uncompromising statement. Just as Jonah was in the belly of the Whale for 3 days and 3 night He would be in the belly of the Earth for 3 days and 3 nights. This is very significant as it was the sign He would give to show He was Messiah.

watchman F said:
ok, as sound as reason can get. Do you believe Jesus rose on Sunday? If so then it would be biblically impossible for Him to have died Friday seeing as that would have meant He would have rose after 1 day and 2 nights. Jesus made a clear uncompromising statement. Just as Jonah was in the belly of the Whale for 3 days and 3 night He would be in the belly of the Earth for 3 days and 3 nights. This is very significant as it was the sign He would give to show He was Messiah.

The atonement for sin began in the Garden of Gethsamene when the cup of God's wrath was being poured out on Jesus in full measure. Christ became the curse for us during this time and was given into the hands of men when Judas betrayed Jesus. This is what was meant when Jesus said "destroy this temple and in three days raise it up", the temple which he speaks about is His body. So Thursday evening was the beginning of night 1.

Thursday night
Friday night
Saturday night
= 3 nights

Friday day
Saturday day
Sunday day
= 3 days

Although Christ arose Sunday morning, no where in the Bible does it say that each day has to be a literal 24 hour day in order to be considered. The Bible just states that the "third day" Christ will be raised up.

archangel_300 said:
no where in the Bible does it say that each day has to be a literal 24 hour day in order to be considered.

Matthew 12:40---"so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth" (NKJV)
Gen.1:5---"God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night"(NKJV)
John 11:9---"Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day?"(NKJV)
Gen. 1:5---"So the evening and the morning were the first day"(NKJV)
Gen. 1:8---"So the evening and the morning were the second day" (NKJV)
Gen. 1:13--"So the evening and the morning were the third day" (NKJV)

I think scripture disagrees with you
Westtexas

archangel_300 said:
[quote="watchman F":3o46zqjs]

The atonement for sin began in the Garden of Gethsamene when the cup of God's wrath was being poured out on Jesus in full measure. Christ became the curse for us during this time and was given into the hands of men when Judas betrayed Jesus. This is what was meant when Jesus said "destroy this temple and in three days raise it up", the temple which he speaks about is His body. So Thursday evening was the beginning of night 1.

Thursday night
Friday night
Saturday night
= 3 nights

Friday day
Saturday day
Sunday day
= 3 days

Although Christ arose Sunday morning, no where in the Bible does it say that each day has to be a literal 24 hour day in order to be considered. The Bible just states that the "third day" Christ will be raised up.[/quote:3o46zqjs]Jesus said 3 days and 3 nights. Either Jesus is a liar or He meant 3 literal days and 3 literal night. He wasn't playing word games with us. Furthermore the thought that atonement start in the garden is irrelevant seeing as Jesus didn't enter the belly of the earth (hell/Abraham's bosom) until His death.

Oh come on now...
According to 2 Peter 3:8 you both are wrong. Christ was there 3000 years. :lol

So sue me that Christ was raised Sunday morning and not Sunday evening.
Go ahead back to my previous post and solve those contradictions then come back and tell me your reasoning.

And yes the wrath of God was being poured out on Jesus in the Garden...
Why do you suppose Jesus prayed to the Father three times that "this cup" be removed? He was drinking the cup of God's wrath.

archangel_300 said:
Go ahead back to my previous post and solve those contradictions then come back and tell me your reasoning.
Let me tell you the way I believe it and try to back it up with scripture and you can tell me what you think.

1. Christ was buried sunset Wed. preparation day of the passover
2. Thurs--Annual Passover Sabbath--No work because of the Sabbath
3. Friday--Feast of Unleavened Bread--Work is O.K.
4. Sat--Weekly Sabbath--No work because of Sabbath

Point 1--We know Christ was crucified on the preparation day of the Passover
John 19:14--"It was the day of Preparation of Passover Week, about the sixth hour" (NIV)

Point 2-- No work because of the Annual passover
John19:31--"Now it was the day of Preparation, and the next day was to be a special Sabbath" (NIV)

Point 3-- Friday and it was O.K. to work and I would like to look at 2 verses
Mark 16:1--"When the Sabbath WAS OVER, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome
bought spices" (NIV)
Luke 23:56--"Then they went home and prepared spices and perfumes. BUT THEY RESTED ON THE
SABBATH" (NIV)
These verses reference 2 separate Sabbaths. Mark says they bought the spices Friday which was AFTER the Annual Sabbath. Luke says they bought the spices Friday and then rested on the Sabbath, which was the weekly Sabbath.

Point 4 was a weekly Sabbath
Matthew 28: 1---"After the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week,Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to look at the tomb" (NIV)
The Sabbath ended at sunset on Saturday night. At dawn, Sunday Morning-The first day of the week, the women went to the tomb and our Lord was risen.
Additionally, if you confer this verse (Matt. 28:1) with Young's Literal Translation it says "And on the eve of the Sabbaths (plural), at the dawn, toward the first of the Sabbaths, came Mary Magdalene, and the other Mary, to see the sepulchre" (YLT)

I believe our Lord was in the belly of the earth a literal 72 hrs just as He said and when the women went to the tomb Sunday morning, He was risen, just as He said.

Westtexas

archangel_300 said:
Oh come on now...
According to 2 Peter 3:8 you both are wrong. Christ was there 3000 years. :lol
You must be joking

So sue me that Christ was raised Sunday morning and not Sunday evening.
Even if Jesus Rose Sunday evening it would have been 3 days and 3 nights according to the Friday theory

And yes the wrath of God was being poured out on Jesus in the Garden...
Why do you suppose Jesus prayed to the Father three times that "this cup" be removed? He was drinking the cup of God's wrath.
That doesn't matter what matter is from the point of death to point of resurrection.

westtexas said:
Let me tell you the way I believe it and try to back it up with scripture and you can tell me what you think.

1. Christ was buried sunset Wed. preparation day of the passover
2. Thurs--Annual Passover Sabbath--No work because of the Sabbath
3. Friday--Feast of Unleavened Bread--Work is O.K.
4. Sat--Weekly Sabbath--No work because of Sabbath

Point 1--We know Christ was crucified on the preparation day of the Passover
John 19:14--"It was the day of Preparation of Passover Week, about the sixth hour" (NIV)

Point 2-- No work because of the Annual passover
John19:31--"Now it was the day of Preparation, and the next day was to be a special Sabbath" (NIV)

Point 3-- Friday and it was O.K. to work and I would like to look at 2 verses
Mark 16:1--"When the Sabbath WAS OVER, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome
bought spices" (NIV)
Luke 23:56--"Then they went home and prepared spices and perfumes. BUT THEY RESTED ON THE
SABBATH" (NIV)
These verses reference 2 separate Sabbaths. Mark says they bought the spices Friday which was AFTER the Annual Sabbath. Luke says they bought the spices Friday and then rested on the Sabbath, which was the weekly Sabbath.

Point 4 was a weekly Sabbath
Matthew 28: 1---"After the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week,Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to look at the tomb" (NIV)
The Sabbath ended at sunset on Saturday night. At dawn, Sunday Morning-The first day of the week, the women went to the tomb and our Lord was risen.
Additionally, if you confer this verse (Matt. 28:1) with Young's Literal Translation it says "And on the eve of the Sabbaths (plural), at the dawn, toward the first of the Sabbaths, came Mary Magdalene, and the other Mary, to see the sepulchre" (YLT)

I believe our Lord was in the belly of the earth a literal 72 hrs just as He said and when the women went to the tomb Sunday morning, He was risen, just as He said.

Westtexas

Ok so let's discuss this view.

The major hurdle you have is to disprove that Jesus was not eating the Passover Seder on the night he was betrayed. All the gospels seem to point to the fact that he was and this means it was Nisan 14 the day before the "Annual Passover Sabbath".

The next hurdle is point 3. Luke 23 occurs the day Christ was crucified not on Friday.

Luke 23:53 Then he took it down, wrapped it in linen, and laid it in a tomb that was hewn out of the rock, where no one had ever lain before. 54 That day was the Preparation, and the Sabbath drew near. 55 And the women who had come with Him from Galilee followed after, and they observed the tomb and how His body was laid. 56 Then they returned and prepared spices and fragrant oils. And they rested on the Sabbath according to the commandment.

Mark 16 is just saying that they purchased and prepared the spices early morning on the day after the weekly sabbath which was the day Christ rose.

Jesus was crucified on Fri. and rose very early Sunday morning.

There are at least 20 other verses that say, "in three days", "rise the 3rd day", and "within 3 days".

There are other examples from the OT of this.
1 Samuel 30:1 said:
And it came to pass, when David and his men were come to Ziklag on the third day, that the Amalekites had invaded the south, and Ziklag, and smitten Ziklag, and burned it with fire;
1 Samuel 30:12 said:
And they gave him a piece of a cake of figs, and two clusters of raisins: and when he had eaten, his spirit came again to him: for he had eaten no bread, nor drunk any water, three days and three nights.
1 Samuel 30:13 said:
And David said unto him, To whom belongest thou? and whence art thou? And he said, I am a young man of Egypt, servant to an Amalekite; and my master left me, because three days agone I fell sick.
2 Chronicles 10:5 said:
5And he said unto them, Come again unto me after three days. And the people departed.
[quote="2 Chronicles 10:12":2jzajw83]So Jeroboam and all the people came to Rehoboam on the third day, as the king bade, saying, Come again to me on the third day.
[/quote:2jzajw83]

Also in Genesis and Ester the same time period is spoken of as, "for three days" and "on the third day". I think way too much is being made out of an exact 72hr. period. They didn't work on the clock like we do today. :twocents

First Jesus didn't come to fulfill Wenesday , Thursday of Friday or Saturday or Sunday.

He came to fulfill Passover, Unleavened bread and Firstfruits (lev 23). The day doesn't really matter.

But for those who stick to it, it would make sense that Jesus died on the cross on a Friday the 6th day of the week, why? Because Adam was created on the 6th day and Jesus came to redeem all mankind.

Jesus rested from all His works on the 7th day Saturday Jesus had a big week, just like the Father before Him.

Many scriptures say rose on the third day or after 3 days, either/or doesn't really matter.

Back