Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

To those who pray to Mary...

Does Mary answer you when you pray to her?

• Yes (please tell me what she says to you)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't pray to Mary

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
We do listen to her Gary... We do what her son has taught.

Though, I think your friends need the name Confused more than I do.

Another pray says about Mary "Behold the handmaid of the Lord"

Handmaid is another word for Servant. Mary was a servant to the Lord.

Do you respect your mother?
Do you talk to her?
Do you thank her for bringing you into this world?

I think that any prayer given to Mary is in the end, asking that we may be a tool for the Lord as she was. She willingly endangered herself and her future when she said yes to God. (An unmarried woman who was pregnant could easily be stoned, ect...)
She then dedicated her life to God as she helped raise Jesus
She was there throughout his life
She was there at the time of his death
She held his lifeless body
She saw her young son be buried
She then was with the Apostles...

Think about someone you know whom died... A loved one... How did that feel?
Were you there with them at their death? Did you watch powerlessly as they were beaten and then crucified?

We ask that we can have the dedication, faith, power, strength, and all qualities she held in her life.
We believe she was ascended into Heaven for her faithful service to God and his son, Christ Jesus.

I'm sorry if you see it wrong for us to ask for help to be a better person, to have a greater faith toward God... Willing to do his will.
But we are able to humble ourselves and admit to our imperfections.
We are not afraid to ask for Guidance.
I'm truely sorry if that angers you.

We offer ourselves to Mary, hoping we can be willing tools to God as she was. I see nothing wrong with that.

"There is no way through the Father except through me"
Are we praying to Mary as the Father? No... Are we praying to Mary so that she may go to the Father with our prayers... No
We pray to Mary, Mother of Christ, so that she might take our intetions to her Son, Christ Jesus, Lord Almighty.

"Lord, we admit our sins and know we are not worthy to recieve you. We send our prayers through your faithful Mother, Mary, your humble servant. We ask that we will have the power to willingly accept your grace into our lives. Mary, I offer myself up to you. That I may recieve the will and strength to follow your example of willing-ness and faith to God. Allow me to accept the vocation God has given me. I wish to do his works. Pray for us to God, Alleluia!"

Actually... Dun wanna respond to new post I saw but...

What about interpretation... That is something everyone has... If a different opinion on the Bible is formed, is it then false? The Bible is the written word of God, if we were supposed to read it and do what it says, surely no contradictions would EVER arise... Then once again, the Earth is only 6,000 Years old... AS STATED IN THE BIBLE, THE INSPIRED WORD OF GOD.
Wait... That has been dissproven? THE SACRED, HOLY WORD OF GOD IS FALSE?
Well, if we are to follow the Bible word by word... Then yes... Right in the first book none the less.

fiat said:
Mary took zealous care of Christ as an infant and as a child. She walked with Him on the way to His crucifixion. Yes, I offer myself to her knowing that as she was a faithful mother to Christ, the Son of God, she will be zealous for His children here on earth and pray for them that they may grow close to Christ her son, who she loved as no one else has ever loved. That in NO way puts her in a position that is evenly remotely equal to or superior to Christ's. Is your guardian angel superior to God? No, but he guides you. Likewise, Mary guides us to her Son. "Do whatever He tells you."

All mothers have done the same for their children. Why are they not hailed? At least Mary never had to worry if her child would die in childhood. ;-)

No, not all mothers have said "yes" to conceiving and bearing the only Son of God. Not all mothers have watched their sons been brutally beaten and hung on a cross. Mary was hailed as "blessed among women" for her perfect surrender of self to the will of God in conceiving Life and watching Him who is Life be crucified, having faith that He would rise again.

Who is the Helper? Mary or the Holy Spirit?

Confusion said:
I'm sorry if you see it wrong for us to ask for help to be a better person, to have a greater faith toward God... Willing to do his will.
But we are able to humble ourselves and admit to our imperfections.
We are not afraid to ask for Guidance.
I'm truely sorry if that angers you.

We offer ourselves to Mary, hoping we can be willing tools to God as she was. I see nothing wrong with that.

Nice thoughts but totally unScriptural. There IS a Helper.... He is called the Holy Spirit. Jesus promised that He would send the Holy Spirit... remember? He did not say He would send Mary to be our helper!

John 16:5-15 The Work of the Holy Spirit

5"Now I am going to him who sent me, yet none of you asks me, 'Where are you going?' 6Because I have said these things, you are filled with grief. 7But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. 8When he comes, he will convict the world of guilt[a] in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment: 9in regard to sin, because men do not believe in me; 10in regard to righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; 11and in regard to judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned.

12"I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. 13But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 14He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you. 15All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will take from what is mine and make it known to you.

So the Helper is the Holy Spirit and not Mary!

:)

You go Gary! This praising Mary to the point that they distort scripture which said that Jesus had brothers is deceitful! Jesus also told us; "Blessed rather are those who obey the word of God" when talking about his mother! But catholics could care less if they distort scripture. They're proud of passing along false doctrine! But Paul tells us that the end of false apostles will be what their actions deserve. ;-)

Why do the catholics invent scripture? where does anyone in the bible ever tell us to pray to Mary? But if the pope orders people killed (whcih many have), then his congregation is duped enough to believe anything he says. That's what cult leaders count on because it works! Many people are very easily duped by someone who claims to be enlightened. That's precisely why Jesus tells us we have only one teacher and one Father. But of course, who is Jesus to the catholics? He words mean nothing compared to the pope!

Heidi said:
You go Gary! This praising Mary to the point that they distort scripture which said that Jesus had brothers is deceitful! Jesus also told us; "Blessed rather are those who obey the word of God" when talking about his mother! But catholics could care less if they distort scripture. They're proud of passing along false doctrine! But Paul tells us that the end of false apostles will be what their actions deserve. ;-)
Pop quiz! Who was the first "Christian" to hear the Word of God and obey/keep it? HINT: they said "let it be done to me according to Thy word"

Honestly, Heidi, you act as though Mary would lead someone away from her Son! Now that's unScriptural!

Gary_Bee said:
Catholics often claim that they do not really pray to Mary but that they "ask" Mary to pray for them.

When you "ask" Mary, what does she say?

With 1.0 billion Catholics "asking"/praying to Mary every day/hour/minute, she must now be omnipresent!
Really Gary, why don't you ask for the results of praying to Jesus or God. I bet you get the same claims. I've said this many times before you have three possibilities when you pray. Yes, No or not now but whatever the outcome its always Gods will. I get the same results when I pray to a brick and now thanks you you I can include Mary, John, Joseph etc.

William Putnam said:
CatholicXian said:
This is getting old...

John 2:5 "do whatever He tells you" (referring to Jesus).

That, Gary, is what Mary says when one prays to her-- she points to Christ. Over and over and over and over again. That is her role.

EDITED to add:
I did not vote in your poll because I've no idea what you mean by "answer". Does she respond.. yes, with what I posted above. Does she "answer" prayers-- again, it depends on what you mean by "answer". All things are granted through God's grace.

AMEN TO THAT, CatholicChristian! (I prefer the full word!) :)

In the poll, if you select YES, they expect to have you explain how she answered to you! Therefore, I did not vote there either! The poll is not simply flawed, it is obviously slanted. It is almost like asking you, "When was the last time you beat your momma?"

How does Mary respond? Well, I prayed to her that my last newborn granddaughter, born premature, would be found to be OK, after doctors thought she had undeveloped hip structure. The children's hospital in New Orleans gave her a complete exam and found her to be just fine! PRAISE GOD, the ultimate source of all answers to prayer!

I will always believe that Mary conveyed my prayers to God, and that God made her right. I can't prove it medically - I simply believe it.

God bless,

PAX

Bill+†+

For those who believe, no proof is necessary;
For those who do not believe, no proof is possible.

It's too bad you have to go through Mary to get to God. What power you give to a human being!!!!

My intercessor is Jesus Christ our Lord. He's the only one who has the power! :angel:

Did not Christ walk this Earth as a Human Being? By that, Christ cannot be this "Lord" with "powers" as you say...

Gary, I never said Mary was the "Helper"
I said should we pray that she helps us. Not that she is the Holy Spirit.
I said we should pray that the Lord might use us as a tool like he did with her, and that we would willingly accept all this as she did.

Also... Do not talk about what is Scriptual... As I've stated, and was ignored...

If going directly by word by word Scripture... The bible is false. The world was not created only 6,000 Years ago...
So, if you want to go word by word without any sort of interpretation, drop you faith because you have disproven it.

Why do Catholics pray to Mary?

For Catholics, there are different types of Marian prayer that reflect different intentions. Reciting the "Magnificat," for example, is a way to praise God as Mary did. By reciting the "Angelus," you commemorate an event in salvation history, one in which Mary had a major role. Such commemorations are also made by the entire Church in the liturgical cycle. At Christmas, for example, the faithful recall Mary's role in the birth of Christ.

Prayers invoking Mary's intercession for your own personal intentions are in a separate class, arousing controversy since the time of the Reformation in the 16th and 17th centuries.

The practice of invoking saintly people for their intercession before God in union with Jesus has roots in sacred Scripture. In this regard, Matthew 18:19-20 refers to saints on earth, and Revelation 18:20 refers to saints in heaven. In the early centuries of the Church, veneration and invocation was offered to those martyred for Christ. The practice derives from the doctrine that the saints are united with Jesus in one mystical body (Rm 12:5).

The practice of calling on Mary for aid also appears to be very old in the Catholic Church. An ancient testimony of confidence in Mary is the prayer Sub Tuum, which historians place in the third century:

We fly to your patronage,
O holy Mother of God;
despise not our petitions in our necessities,
but deliver us always from all dangers,
O glorious and blessed Virgin.

(Dictionary of Mary, p. 143)

This practice became an area of significant disagreement between Catholics and Protestants. After the crisis of the Reformation, the Catholic Council of Trent repeated traditional Christian teaching on the intercession of the saints, which applies preeminently to Mary:

The saints who reign together with Christ, offer up their prayers to God for men; ... it is good and useful to invoke them suppliantly and, in order to obtain favors from God through his Son Jesus Christ our Lord who alone is our Redeemer and Saviour, to have recourse to their prayers, assistance and support.

(Theotokos, p. 188)

The Synod of Jerusalem held by the Orthodox Church proclaimed a similar position about a century after Trent. Protestants counter that reliance on Mary and the saints detracts from reliance on Jesus Christ, who is our 'one mediator':

For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man, Christ Jesus, who gave Himself as a ransom for all, the testimony borne at the proper time.
(1 Tm 2:2-5 - New American Bible)

A thorough examination of this topic by the Lutheran-Catholic Dialogue Commission may be found in The One Mediator, The Saints and Mary (Augsburg Press, 1992). An excellent contemporary Catholic reflection on the subject is found in chapter 3 of Pope John Paul II's 1987 encyclical, Mother of the Redeemer. A small subsection of paragraph 38 of that chapter is as follows:

The Church knows and teaches with Saint Paul that there is only one mediator: "For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all." (1 Tm 2:5-6).
The maternal role of Mary toward people in no way obscures or diminishes the unique mediation of Christ, but rather shows its power [Vatican II Constitution on the Church, # 60]: it is mediation in Christ.

Catholics do not pray to Mary as if she were God. Prayer to Mary is memory of the great mysteries of our faith (Incarnation, Redemption through Christ in the rosary), praise to God for the wonderful things he has done in and through one of his creatures (Hail Mary) and intercession (second half of the Hail Mary). The latter is addressed to Mary not as to a vending machine but a support person helping us to discern the will of God in our lives. Mary is a volunteer, highly recommendable and recommended, but not a mandatory and inescapable passage.

The Magnificat

My being proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit finds joy in God my Savior,
For he has looked upon his servant in her lowliness;
all ages to come shall call me blessed.
God who is mighty has done great things for me,
holy is his name;
His mercy is from age to age on those who fear him.
He has shown might with his arm;
he has confused the proud in their inmost thoughts.
He has deposed the mighty from their thrones
and raised the lowly to high places.
The hungry he has given every good thing,
while the rich he has sent empty away.
He has upheld Israel his servant,
ever mindful of his mercy;
Even as he promised our fathers,
promised Abraham and his descendants forever.
(Luke 1:46-55)

It's too bad that catholics need Mary to remember their faith. I have no problem remembering what Christ did for me. The Holy Spirit in me reminds me of it everyday! They give human beings such power! Christ's power is enough for me. But not for the catholics. :sad

Heidi said:
It's too bad that catholics need Mary to remember their faith. I have no problem remembering what Christ did for me. The Holy Spirit in me reminds me of it everyday! They give human beings such power! Christ's power is enough for me. But not for the catholics. :sad

How can you say the Holy Spirit is in you? You claim others of following false doctrine and beliefs... Then you turn around and claim the the HOLY SPIRIT is in you... How do you know your own believes are not false doctrine? That the Christ you believe in your life is not truly christ?

Confusion said:
...Also... Do not talk about what is Scriptual... As I've stated, and was ignored...

If going directly by word by word Scripture... The bible is false.

It was what is NOT in the Scriptures which is unScriptural. Jesus did not pray to Mary. The disciples did not pray to Mary. Paul only mentions Mary once in all of his writings. The author of Hebrews does nor even mention Mary. James, the Lord's brother, does not mention Mary. Jude, also the Lord's brother, does not mention Mary. John, with whom Mary lived after Jesus' death, resurrection and ascension, does not mention praying to Mary.

It is very sad that you find the Word of God to be false. I am sure that is why you can accept the Roman Catholic teachings. Many of them are not found in Scripture either.

Gary_Bee said:
Catholics often claim that they do not really pray to Mary but that they "ask" Mary to pray for them.

When you "ask" Mary, what does she say?

With 1.0 billion Catholics "asking"/praying to Mary every day/hour/minute, she must now be omnipresent!
reznwerks said:
Really Gary, why don't you ask for the results of praying to Jesus or God. I bet you get the same claims. I've said this many times before you have three possibilities when you pray. Yes, No or not now but whatever the outcome its always Gods will. I get the same results when I pray to a brick and now thanks you you I can include Mary, John, Joseph etc.

Rez, no wonder you get no results. Praying to a brick will not help you. That is what you pagans need to realise.

And secondly, both Jesus and God are omnipresent (present everywhere simultaneously). So they are not like the brick you pray to or Mary to whom the Roman Catholics pray.

Understand the difference yet?

Confusion said:
Why do Catholics pray to Mary?

For Catholics, there are different types of Marian prayer that reflect different intentions. Reciting the "Magnificat," for example, (1) is a way to praise God as Mary did. By reciting the "Angelus," (2) you commemorate an event in salvation history, one in which Mary had a major role. Such commemorations are also made by the entire Church in the liturgical cycle. At Christmas, for example, the faithful recall Mary's role in the birth of Christ.

Prayers (3) invoking Mary's intercession for your own personal intentions are in a separate class, arousing controversy since the time of the Reformation in the 16th and 17th centuries.

Now obviously prayers (1) and (2) should be to God (as Scripture teaches us) and not to Mary. The prayers may be ABOUT Mary but not TO Mary.

Prayer type (3) is also totally unScriptural.

But here is a prayer that a ex-Catholic young girl was asked to pray. Which "type" would you classify this prayer as Confusion:

My Queen, My Mother, I offer
myself entirely to Thee.
And to show my devotion to Thee,
I offer Thee this day, my eyes,
my ears, my mouth, my heart,
my whole being without reserve.

Wherefore, good Mother, as I am thine own, keep me, guard me as Thy property and possession.

Amen

Now do you also offer this prayer to Mary?

What about....

• I offer myself entirely to Jesus
    I also devote myself to Jesus
    I also dedicate my day to Jesus
    I also offer my eyes to Jesus
    I also offer my ears to Jesus
    I also offer my mouth to Jesus
    I also offer my brain and thoughts to Jesus
    I also offer my heart to Jesus
    I also offer my whole being to Jesus, without reserve
    I also pray to Jesus to keep me
    I also pray to Jesus to guard me
    I also proclaim that I am Jesus' property
    I also proclaim that I am Jesus' possession
    I also proclaim that I am a slave to Jesus
So which is it? Which should I pray in the morning? Which do you think is more Biblical?

:-?

All I'm replying with is...

The Bible says the world was created about 6,000 years ago.

New technology has proven it's is EXTREMELY older than that.

Why is the Bible not completely false then?

As always, Have I ever presented my religious affiliations on this website. Do not try and label me with what you think I am. I believe Judging others goes against scriptures does it not?

Also, Well, going by "scripture" pray neither of those. Disregard all scripture except the Old Testament and praise the almighty creator. Why would you trust everything on a book when you can pray straight to an Almighty source? Praise God from the Old Testament... Why would you even think the New Testament is real...

Heidi said:

Confusion said:
How can you say the Holy Spirit is in you? You claim others of following false doctrine and beliefs... Then you turn around and claim the the HOLY SPIRIT is in you... How do you know your own believes are not false doctrine? That the Christ you believe in your life is not truly christ?

I think your problem Confusion is that you do not believe what Jesus and Scripture teach. Heidi is 100% correct.

Scripture tells us that:

(1) The Holy Spirit dwells in us (John 14:16-17 Romans 8:11 1 Corinthians 6:19)

(2) The Holy Spirit convicts us of sin (John 16:7-11)

(3) The Holy Spirit gives us new life (John 3:5-6 Titus 3:5)

(4) The Holy Spirit makes us realize God's love (Romans 5:5)

(5) The Holy Spirit gives us power to witness (Acts 1:8 Acts 6:9-10)

(6) The Holy Spirit teaches us what to say (Luke 12:12)

(7) The Holy Spirit reveals God's secrets to us (1 Corinthians 2:10-16)

(8) The Holy Spirit brings Christ's presence to us (John 14:16-18)

(9) The Holy Spirit keeps us in touch with God (Romans 8:26 Jude 20)

(10) The Holy Spirit teaches us about Christ (John 14:26 John 15:26)

(11) The Holy Spirit enables us to find the truth (1 John 4:1-6)

(12) The Holy Spirit encourages us (Acts 9:31)

(13) The Holy Spirit controls us (Romans 8:9)

(14) The Holy Spirit gives us joy and peace (Romans 14:17)

(15) The Holy Spirit draws us into fellowship (2 Corinthians 13:14 Philippians 2:1)

(16) The Holy Spirit enables us to live a Christian life (Romans 8:5-9)

(17) The Holy Spirit works his fruit in us (Galatians 5:16-25)

(18) The Holy Spirit sanctifies us (Romans 15:16 2 Thessalonians 2:13)

(10) The Holy Spirit gives us gifts (1 Corinthians 12:4-11)

(11) The Holy Spirit gives us His sword to fight satan (Ephesians 6:17)

(12) The Holy Spirit prays for us in times of crisis (Romans 8:26)

(13) The Holy Spirit will raise us from the dead (Romans 8:11)

See how much you are losing out on by looking to Mary for these blessings?

Or maybe you would like to compile a similar list (with Biblical references) of what Mary does for you.

:wink:

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back