Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Toys of old

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
toys from nature.
We didn't have plastic trees and such for our landscapes. doll house and barn or Lincoln Log cabins.
We used real Princess pine for bushes, twigs from trees, and flower petals. Clay or silly putty to stick them in to stand up.

kids today miss out on some creativity.

My mom once told me she had no dolls to play with. Instead, she and her girl friends used sticks, rocks, sea shells and bones. I don't remember exactly what was what, but there seems to have been some kind of unwritten standard. The same thing always represented the mother, the same thing always represented the baby and so on. I can't say I remember anything like that though.

The TOG​

i built forts from junk tvs; bricks and tree branches and played guns and war.of course my favorite toy that wasn't in nature but was in a playground was a certain jet. man the hours of crawling into the engines, the nose. its gone now and at the naval museum in Pensacola.my brother and I and friends all did this and also when we found vacumm tubes we chucked them. i loved to make them explode.

That was girls only see what liberalism has done :nono

Not here. It was typically played by girls more often than by boys, but it wasn't a girls only game. I remember playing with male childhood buddies or mixed groups and that wasn't really a deal.
Though I had my share of sexist victimisation as a child. I used to play some rough stuff with the guys and then wanted to join the girls they told me I couldn't because I'd look way too filthy for a girl. *sob* :crying

Not here. It was typically played by girls more often than by boys, but it wasn't a girls only game. I remember playing with male childhood buddies or mixed groups and that wasn't really a deal.
Though I had my share of sexist victimisation as a child. I used to play some rough stuff with the guys and then wanted to join the girls they told me I couldn't because I'd look way too filthy for a girl. *sob* :crying

That's just plain mean and stupid.

When I was on a volunteer exchange in Zimbabwe (southern Africa) the families in the rural areas barely had any money for toys, let alone school books, pens and such (heck, they didn't even have electricity, tap water and sewers). But those kids were very creative playing with stones in the dirt. There was one game where they would draw a circle shape into the sand and add compartments, like pizza slices, into that circle. Then everyone would have one stone to throw, and lots more stones to place into the pizza slices. The task was to throw the one stone upward, place one stone into the first compartment with the same hand, and then catch the stone with the same hand on its way back down. Should you succeed you would advance to the next level, placing two stones into two compartments between tossing and catching your stone, all with the same hand, and so on. Once all stones were placed you'd go backwards, picking them up while the other stone was flying.
It's incredibly hard and we always lost against the local kids. That sort of game requires an awesome coordiniation and swiftness skill.
Those schoolkids were pretty good at playing soccer, too. They beat us young adults by far. And they didn't even have a real ball to practice with, they used a lump of rags instead.

Last edited:
That's just plain mean and stupid.
Lol yeah it is. But those were kids, you can't blame them. Gotta blame those parents that teach their kids that you have to fulfill some weird arbitrary stereotype conditions in order to be a real boy or real girl.
Usually the boys accepted me better than the girls. Until this day I have more guy friends than girl friends and find men easier to talk to than women....

There was a vacant lot near my cousins' house where I used to spend my summers. There was an old car there we used to play in. It didn't have an engine, but it did have a steering wheel and some knobs (in some cases just springs that had been behind the knobs) on the dashboard and a gas pedal. That was enough for us. There was also and old tractor there we used to play on as well. There's an apartment building there now. They've totally ruined it. I don't see how kids there are supposed to have any fun.

The TOG​

You neither, lol. :lol

I'm a few years older than questdriven. :rollingpin

The first part of my childhood was behind the iron curtain, where TV didn't play much of a role for kids and all other kinds of entertainment technology were behind compared to the western world by a good 15 years.
I did have stilts and could walk on them. And I had marbles. And toy building bricks.

I'm a few years older than questdriven. :rollingpin

The first part of my childhood was behind the iron curtain, where TV didn't play much of a role for kids and all other kinds of entertainment technology were behind compared to the western world by a good 15 years.
I did have stilts and could walk on them. And I had marbles. And toy building bricks.

Why is there a picture of Reba in your post?

The TOG​

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back