Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Understanding the Parable of the Sower (Matthew 13)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
This is how I interpret your post, because of the things, you yourself say, which begins with the Gospel being replaced with the mysteries of the kingdom.

Matt 13 never even uses the word "Gospel". You are the one replacing the words Jesus used with your word, "Gospel". I'm simply sticking with the wording He used.

The parable of the sower mentions the message or word of the kingdom: The Gospel of the kingdom.

No it doesn't. The parable mentions sowing "seed". His explanation for speaking in parables and the explanation of this parable uses the words the mysteries of the kingdom. Thus, that's what I used to avoid confusion.

It's in His reason for using parables and His explanation of the parable, that the mysteries of the kingdom is spoken of. And again, He never even uses the word Gospel.

Please post a verse from the Scripture of the parable itself, Jesus' reason for speaking to the whole crowd in parables or the explanation of the parable of the sower that uses the word "Gospel". It's not there. You prefer to insert it.

You were convincing us that the process began with God "granting to them the understanding".
Wrong. I clearly stated the parable begins with speaking (sowing) not granting understanding. Which it does. I shouldn't need to convince anybody of this. It's plainly the case. If Jesus hadn't first spoke the parable of the sower, Matthew would not have recorded it.

1. Does the parable start with speaking (sowing) the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven upon them?

Here, replace my question 1 with your preferred word (Gospel) then answer the question (even though it's not the word Jesus used in Matt 13):

1. Does the parable start with speaking (sowing) the 'Gospel' mysteries of the kingdom of heaven upon them?
I say yes. What say you?

I answered this question as no, and stated what was sowed was the Gospel Message, not the mysteries of the Kingdom.

I used the language of the Text. Your answer to my question contradicts the Text of Matt 13 and Jesus' own answer to why He spoke the parable of the sower to the whole crowd using this parabolic language.

After speaking (sowing) the parable of the sower to the whole crowd, His disciples asked Him why he spoke to them in parables. He answered:

Matthew 13:10-11 (NASB) And the disciples came and said to Him, “Why do You speak to them in parables?” Jesus answered them, “To you it has been granted to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been granted.

Matthew 13:19a (NASB) When anyone hears the word of the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what has been sown in his heart.
If you prefer your word over Jesus' words replace it. It makes my same point which is; you must understand the 'Gospel' in order to bear fruit (which is proof of being His disciple).

And the disciples came and said to Him, “Why do You speak to them in parables?” J answered them, “To you it has been granted to know the 'Gospel', but to them it has not been granted (to know the 'Gospel').

When anyone hears the 'Gospel' and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what has been sown in his heart.

And the one on whom the 'Gospel' was sown on the good soil, this is the man who hears the 'Gospel' and understands it; who indeed bears fruit and brings forth, some a hundredfold, some sixty, and some thirty.”

The one on the good soil is still the one who understood the 'Gospel' and proved it by bearing any fruit. Which is my point. And a valid one.

Closed for your moderator review..

This is not necessarily directed to the last poster... just happens it got noticed now..
Reminder:

Christian Theology is by definition the study of God through His word, the Holy Bible. That makes the Theology forum unique from many of our other forums in that this is a place specifically for these types of discussions.

With this in mind, the following must be followed when posting in the Theology Forum.
  • Above all, focus on the issue being debated. Do not direct your comments toward the member and make the discussion personal if you disagree with what's been said.
  • Original posts should reference specific scripture and what it is the member wants to say or ask about that scripture.
  • Do not make the unsupported claim that another member's position has no basis in scripture. If you believe that someone is in error you must respectfully cite scripture to support your assertion.
  • Do not use phrases such as, “You’re wrong.” or any other similar phrase. This is insulting and inappropriate and there are nicer ways to disagree without being insulting.
  • Do not insinuate that another member is joking or being laughable unless they specifically state that they are. Assume they have interpreted scripture in an honest attempt to understand the Word of the Lord.
  • Once you have made a point, refrain from flooding the forum with numerous postsmaking the same point over and over withnothing new to support it.
  • You may ask a member questions as to what they believe on certain topics relative to the subject of the thread, but keep in mind the member is under no obligation to answer. Do not speak for other members by declaring what they believe or make leaps and draw your own conclusions. Let them state their own theology or doctrine. Assume other members have understood what they are responding to unless they state otherwise.
  • Failing to answer someone’s question doesn’t necessarily amount to an admission of error or surrender but keep in mind that in any debate if you refuse to or can not answer a reasonable question, it may weaken your position and do not badger other members about not answering attempting to guilt them into it.
  • Violations of these Theology Forum rules are subject to the same disciplinary consequences as failing to adhere to theToS.

Last edited:

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back