Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Was reproduction a part of the world prior to the fall?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
God commanded them to have children but it does not say God beheld it right then, it does not say "and it was so" following that verse.
Have you got some other verse that shows there was human birth before the fall?

Commanded is the wrong word. 'Be fruitful and multiply' is a blessing and when God pronounces a blessing, it happens. 'he blessed them' Gen. 5:2

And it was so. Gen. 1:30 I wish people would stop referring to every line in the Bible as a verse. There are no verses in the Bible. The numbering system used in the Bible just makes in easier to find words. God doesn't speak in verses. The word of God isn't poetry. 'And it was so' covers everything God did in the 6th day. God beheld everything he had made, and behold, it was very good. 'And there was evening and there was morning, a sixth day. Gen. 1:31 If it was up to me, I would start Gen. 1:31 with, 'And it was so'. Unfortunately they stick it at the end of 1:30 and then people get all confused.

Now this one I can see your point. So I had to look at the Hebrew transliteration and I'm still not sure I can refute your interpretation. I will quote the KJV and then the YLT.
Gen 3:16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children;....
Gen 3:16 Unto the woman He said, `Multiplying I multiply thy sorrow and thy conception, in sorrow dost thou bear children, ......'
In the KJV where it says 'greatly multiply' both of these translated words are the same word in the Hebrew.
I will have to research this. I think it is possible that this is a case were the Hebrew language uses repeated words and terms that are to give a sense of something other than how it sounds in English.
Like God owns all the cattle on 10,000 hills. Well God owns all cattle on more than 10,000 hills but it's still a large number so you get the sense of what it means.
In this case, "greatly, greatly thy worry/pain and thy pregnancy.....".
We have a member who is talking about learning Hebrew, I wish he'd get busy with that.

There's no need to study Hebrew. They were breeding like rabbits before the fall.

Commanded is the wrong word. 'Be fruitful and multiply' is a blessing and when God pronounces a blessing, it happens. 'he blessed them' Gen. 5:2
Yes God blesses them and then He said, "Be fruitful and multiply." I not sure what He blessed them with though. But that sounds like a command to me. He says, do it, He didn't say if you choose have children.
And it was so. Gen. 1:30 I wish people would stop referring to every line in the Bible as a verse. There are no verses in the Bible. The numbering system used in the Bible just makes in easier to find words. God doesn't speak in verses. The word of God isn't poetry. 'And it was so' covers everything God did in the 6th day. God beheld everything he had made, and behold, it was very good. 'And there was evening and there was morning, a sixth day. Gen. 1:31 If it was up to me, I would start Gen. 1:31 with, 'And it was so'. Unfortunately they stick it at the end of 1:30 and then people get all confused.
Verses are for reference points that is why we use them. I wish some people would stop assuming that the person they are communicating is doing that.
For me, it is not about verse numbers, it is about complete thoughts. When the thought changes in content then one can exam that thought. Verse 27, complete thought, verse 28, complete thought, verse29-30, complete thought, verse 31, complete thought. God didn't end the complete thought in v28 with 'and it was so'. :shrug So I'm not going to assume that is what He meant. But if you can prove me wrong then I am willing to change my mind.
It took me almost twenty yrs. to get my dh to stop telling me things as though they were facts, when they were really assumptions that he or some else had made. Old, small town, habits die hard.:thud

Yes God blesses them and then He said, "Be fruitful and multiply." I not sure what He blessed them with though. But that sounds like a command to me. He says, do it, He didn't say if you choose have children.

Blessing and cursing are opposites. What do you curse with? Your mouth. What do you bless with? Your mouth. 'Be fruitful and multiply' is the blessing. On day 5, for example, God blessed the creatures he created by saying 'Be fruitful and multiply ... Gen. 1:22

Six days of creation, every day you have a new beginning. Every day follows the same pattern - God calls into being or declares this to be and it is and it was so. God sees what he created and he calls it good. Six days of creation, everyday you have a new beginning; God calls forth the light, the light begins. He establishes the earth. So it is established in its day. He brings into being all things by his word. Everything has its beginning in its day ie. the light, the earth, the stars, birds, fish, man. All these things had their beginning in their day. It follows that men began to multiply and fill the earth in the day the LORD blessed man saying be fruitful and multiply, just as the living creatures he created and blessed in the 5th day began to multiply in their day. So this is how things began. So if you want to know when men began to multiply, this is your answer. They began to multiply on the sixth day.

I would not use the word 'command' the way you are using it. You could use it in the sense he commanded this to be, as in saying God said, 'be fruitful and multiply' and it was so. We're talking about creation here. So he did not bless them and then command them. He blessed them and they began to multiply according to his word. On the 6th day man began to multiply.

Verses are for reference points that is why we use them. I wish some people would stop assuming that the person they are communicating is doing that.
For me, it is not about verse numbers, it is about complete thoughts. When the thought changes in content then one can exam that thought. Verse 27, complete thought, verse 28, complete thought, verse29-30, complete thought, verse 31, complete thought. God didn't end the complete thought in v28 with 'and it was so'. :shrug So I'm not going to assume that is what He meant. But if you can prove me wrong then I am willing to change my mind.
It took me almost twenty yrs. to get my dh to stop telling me things as though they were facts, when they were really assumptions that he or some else had made. Old, small town, habits die hard.:thud

This is what I said people do. Every verse is seen as a complete thought which then becomes a subject to debate. This is what Isaiah predicted.

Isaiah 28:13
Therefore the word of the Lord will be to them precept upon precept, precept upon precept, line upon line, line upon line, here a little, there a little; that they may go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.

Back