Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Wazzup with FC BARCELONA?!! (News)

Alves: "Guardiola has put the smile back into football"

02/22/2012 13:50
The Brazilian was full of praise for his manager and would bet on him staying on, whilst not giving up the fight for a League title that is"difficult but not impossible"
About Guardiola’s contract renewal he said "I think he’ll renew it, without him we are nothing"

2012-02-22_WEB_ALVES_02.v1329924700.JPG

Over and above the decision that Guardiola must make, Alves wished to thank him for everything he's done as a manager. "Guardiola has put the smile back into football, for the fans and people who like real football", he said during the presentation of his new website , in Cornella. "I think he'll renew his contract, without him we are nothing" he added, aware of what Guardiolahas given the Club over the past three and a half seasons: 13 out of 16 possible titles.
Eternally grateful ... if he goes
Alves repeated time and again his thanks to Guardiola. "Thanks to him I'm here and I've achieved so many things," he said. "I think in thislife one should always be grateful. If he makes the decision not to continue, what he's already done will stay with us. Although football has no memory, we do remember. If players started to leave we would have part of the blame. We should be grateful to Guardiola, not only as a player but also as a manager" he said. However, he predicts the Manager's contract renewal "I am convinced that Guardiola will stay with us, if not it'll be a big surprise for me. He makes this League greater."
Fight to the end
In addition to Guardiola's renewal, Alves gave his opinion on Barça's chances of winning the League Title: "Barça haven't said the last word yet in the competition. We know that it's tough and that their lead is considerable, but not impossible to peg back. We'll compete to the end, and if we lose, we'll congratulate the winners....If we're this far behind, then we've done something wrong. If we look how both teams are playing, I believe the lead is very great" he said about the 10 points difference. However, he's of the opinion that "the balance of the season should be looked at in June, the road is still long".
About his individual performance, he's very calm,"I'd worry if my teammates or my manager werecriticising my performance, but they have no doubts. Rumours don't bother me, and the Club has no doubt whatsoever about my professional attitude".

FCB,

Roger Bogunyà

Thiago: "I’m enjoying every second with the first team"
www.fcbarcelona.cat 02/22/2012 17:34
Thiago Alcántara said that he’s really enjoying his first full year as a Barça first team player. He made a positive assessment of the season and didn’t rule out anything. "We’ve proved we can do anything"

2012-02-22_ENTREVISTA_THIAGO_ALCANTARA_006.v1329928864.jpg

In an interview with Barça's official media office, Thiago Alcántara talked about his personal feelings on the season so far, and what's currently happening to the team.
What's Thiago's personal evaluation of these first two thirds of the season?
"So far I've enjoyed every second, every momentwith the first team. It was amazing what we have experienced so far, winning the World Club Cup, which for me which for me was the best moment. The pre-season was key to our success. The World Under-20 Championship was very important for me, and enabled me to play pre-season with the first team. So far my evaluation is positive for the titles won and the minutes I've played".
Are you satisfied individually?
"It's my first year. I think what I've done so far is very good for a rookie. I'm playing more than myself and the people expected, and I'm very happy what I've done so far".
Do you remember the last advice your father gave you?
"To enjoy every minute of every moment, because it won't come back. Every game you play, every pass you make when you're playing, will never come back. It's unique. You can play a game a certain way and another one a totally different way. You must take advantage and enjoy the moment".
And as a team, how do you think the season has gone?
"I think it's been a good season. We players are not totally satisfied because we want all three titles that are at stake. We know that the League is more complicated due to the points we are behind the first placed team, but I think it is a good season. The fans have been accustomed to the fact that the team have won so many titles in so few years".
You still think you can win the League?
"I think we've shown so far that we can do anything and we'll continue to do that".
These days there is much talk of the future of Guardiola. Does it create some uncertainty amongst the players?
"At the moment we're not uncertain, because te manager who has gien us all so many good things at Barça is still with us. We are enjoying him, his way of coaching, the way he sees football. Later, when the season ends, we'll see if he carries on or not. Of course, what everybodywants, me included, is that he stays at the Club".
How do you feel playing in the first team alongside young footballers like Tello and Montoya?
"It's great because with teammates like Tello, Bartra, and Montoya we've been together since Icame to the Club at 15 years of age. Having the pleasure of playing with them in the first team, I don't think we ever thought would be possible. It's something you value highly, that only happens at Barça. Throughout the history of football it's only happened at Barça, and we must take advantage of that. The young players have to fight for a place up there in the first team".

FCB

Cuenca: "I was surprised by the humility inthe dressing room"

02/22/2012 17:46
The lad from Reus, who gave his first press conference as a member of the team, explained that the squad has a "family" and "humble" atmosphere

2012-02-22_ENTRENO_05.v1329929378.JPG

PHOTO: MIGUEL RUIZ-FCB
Isaac Cuenca has been in the Barça first team, officially, for only a short time. Up to now he hasn't got to thoroughly know all the members of the squad. They have all really impressed him."Everyone surprised me with their humble attitude. You would think that, in a dressing room where players have won so much, there may be a less familiar atmosphere, but it's not so", he said in his first press conference, where he acknowledged that " he was a bit tense".
Continual Learning
Cuenca admitted that he looks at all his teammates so he can learn more each day. "I try to use them as an example, and I try to watch them in matches and training sessions so I can learn more", he said. The winger, who wanted tothank Guardiola for giving him the opportunity to play in the first team, didn't reject the parallel cases of Busquets and Pedro, although he confessed that "every story is different".
Injuries ... and talent
In his case, his opportunity came early, because of injuries at the start of season to Afellay, Alexis, Pedro, and later, Villa. "It's better that the team doesn't have any injuries, but maybe that's what gave me the minutes at the start. But I prefer that everybody is fit, to compete at 100%", he said. His talent, of course, helped him to succeed and establish himself in the first team.
About their chances in the League, he expressed himself along the same lines as his teammates:"We know it's difficult and complicated, but we must try to win every game to keep the Title alive, in case Madrid stumble".

FCB,

Roger Bogunyà

Messi, Atletico’s nightmare

02/23/2012 09:11
The Argentinian has scored 17 goals against the team from Madrid in a total of 13 games, and has scored “hat-trick†in the last two matches

FCB_-_AT_MADRID_7_.v1329935128.jpg

PHOTO: ARCHIVE FCB
This Sunday Leo Messi will be face to face with his favourite victims: Athletico Madrid. Messi has scored 17 times in 13 games, and has become the nightmare of the Madrid outfit.
14 in the League, and 3 in the Cup
Atletico Madrid is by far the team that Lionel Messi has scored more against, with 17 goals. They're followed by Sevilla and Real Madrid with 13 goals each. Against Athletico, 14 goals have been in the League Cup and 3 in the Cup, in 11 and 2 matches respectively.
Especially significant are the most recent precedents against Athletico Madrid. In the last two matches, both at the Camp Nou, Messi has scored two 'hat-tricks' (3-0 on 5th February 2011and 5-0 on 24th September 2011).
Before that Leo Messi had already scored a hat-trick at the Vicente Calderon in a match in the last 16 of the Cup, on 6th January 2009. On Sunday he'll have another chance to improve his scandalous figures.

FCB,

Roger Bogunyà

Preparations continue for trip to Calderón
www.fcbarcelona.cat 02/23/2012 11:00
Barça has trained with the same 18 first team players plus Tello as at Wednesday’s first sessionof the week
Guardiola’s team is still focused on preparations for Sunday’s Liga fixture at Atlético Madrid (21.30)

2012-02-23_ENTRENO_13.v1329998174.JPG

19 futbolistes s'han entrenat aquest matí a la Ciutat Esportiva / FOTO: MIGUEL RUIZ - FCB
FC Barcelona have worked out on Thursday morning on pitch number 1 at the Ciutat Esportiva Joan Gamper with all attention focused on Sunday's away game at the Vicente Calderón against Atlético Madrid (21.30). Pep Guardiola used all the same players he had with him on Wednesday afternoon, namely the 18 available members of the first team plus Barça B's Cristian Tello . So, the only missing players were the injured Villa, Afellay and Fontàs .
The team will train again on Thursday at 11.00, again at Sant Joan Despí.

FCB

Xavi scoring more than ever

02/23/2012 11:25
Xavi’s eleven goals this season are the most he has ever amassed in any of his 14 years as a member of the first team

FCB-VALENCIA_47_.v1329993004.JPG

El gol de Xavi contra el València. FOTO: MIGUEL RUIZ-FCB.
One of the most surprisingly pleasant aspects of Barça this season has been the number of goals scored by players that are not out-and-out strikers. Cesc has been revealed as a natural goal-getter, while without making a big song and dance about it, Xavi has also been on target regularly, and with much of the season still left to play, he has already beaten his previous best for a season. He's got 11 goals in 33 games: 7 in the league, 1 in the Champions League, 2 in the cup and 1 at the Clubs World Cup .
First time over ten
Xavi holds the all-time record for official appearances for the club: 610 . In his 14 seasons as a pro he has scored 69 times, and the eleven this season is a personal record . His personal best until now was the 10 he scored in the 2008/09 season, but that figure, of course, corresponded to a full season of 59 matches.
League record
It is in the league that his goalscoring form has particularly shown, with 7 goals in 19 games . He's actually thirteenth in the overall scoring charts this season, where Rayo's Michu (11) and Cesc himself (9) are the only midfielders to have been on target more. Xavi has already levelled his best ever league tally set in the 2007/08 season, and has plenty of games ahead of him inwhich to add even more.

FCB,

Jordi Clos

President receives Football Supporters Clubs Group
www.fcbarcelona.cat 02/23/2012 13:44
He was joined by Jordi Cardoner, Jordi Mestre and Pau Vilanova
The event recognised the good work being donewith young footballers

2012-02-22_ENCUENTRO_AGRUPACIO_DE_FUTBOL_DE_CLUBS_I_PENYES_DEL_FCB_010.v1330001319.jpg
2012-02-22_ENCUENTRO_AGRUPACIO_DE_FUTBOL_DE_CLUBS_I_PENYES_DEL_FCB_006.v1330001380.jpg

Reception with the Agrupació de Penyes de Futbol

Every season youth tournaments are run by the Agrupació de Penyes de Futbol (Football Supporters Clubs Group) at the Miniestadi, contested by teams belonging to the supporters clubs in the Group.
There are eighteen clubs in the Group, making for 3,600 footballers and 205 teams in different age categories. The youngest play every week on the FC Barcelona facilities in their respective competitions, the finals of which are always held in the Miniestadi.
This wonderful scheme has not gone unnoticed and so this was officially recognised yesterday evening. Players of the calibre of Víctor Valdés have emerged from the Group in the past, which is one of the reasons why FC Barcelona takes such an active interest in its developments.
President Sandro Rosell , Jordi Cardoner i Casaus ,vice president of the Social Area, and Jordi Mestre , director of the Sports Area for Youth Football, welcomed representatives of the Groupinto the presidential lounge at the Camp Nou. Also in attendance was the director in chief of the Social Commission, Pau Vilanova , as well as a number of different delegations from the Group itself.
Antoni Sanjuan , president of the Agrupació de Penyes de Futbol, led this association that worksso hard week after week to do its best to train and educate young players.

FCB

Iniesta looking to sum points three by three

02/23/2012 14:12
Iniesta knows that Madrid have a considerable lead in the league, but has not given up the chase, saying that “if they drop any points, we have to be there just in caseâ€
The midfielder thinks taking things game by game will “make us more competitive in the Champions League and the final of Copa del Reyâ€
On the visit to the Calderón, he knows it won’t bean easy game “but we’re looking forward to it and keen to get another three pointsâ€

2012-02-23_LIBRO_SOLIDARIO_10.v1330013061.JPG

Iniesta / PHOTO: MIGUEL RUIZ - FCB
"A considerable advantage, but our only thoughts are on getting points three by three. That will make us more competitive in the Champions League and the final of the Copa del Rey"
"Every game is very difficult, but this is even harder given that we're away from home and playing Atlético"
Andrés Iniesta knows that Real Madrid's ten-point lead is "a considerable advantage, but our only thoughts are on getting points three by three. That will make us more competitive in theChampions League and the final of the Copa del Rey . In the league, if Madrid drop any points, wehave to be there just in case". Like the rest of thesquad, Iniesta has not given up on the hope they can still pip Madrid to the Liga title.
Big challenge at the Calderón
The squad are well aware that their away form has been letting them down this season. "We've dropped far too many points and that's reflected in the league table" said Iniesta. Sunday offers anew opportunity to address the issue. "Every game is very difficult, but this is even harder given that we're away from home and playing Atlético ... But we're looking forward to it and keen to get another three points. Our idea is to go there and win." He was impressed with the great all-round performance in beating Valencia so comfortably last weekend and claims that win "has given us an extra push to win on the road".
No thoughts about Guardiola exit
As for Pep Guardiola renewing his contract, Andrés Iniesta can't imagine him not being at Barça next season. "We don't think that'll happen. The most difficult but also the nicest part of the season is now ahead of us ... I hope the manager stays with us and we are fighting for everything".

FCB,

Anna Segura

Thiago: "This Barça will be around for a while"

www.fcbarcelona.cat 02/23/2012 18:10

The Barça midfielder believes that the Club’s youth system has “bold, hard-working and humble players that want to get to the first teamâ€

Thiago also said that the Liga “is complicated, but we’ll keep on fightingâ€

2012-02-23_PRESENTACION_XII_TORNEO_MIC_002.v1330023207.jpg

Thiago during the presentation of the MIC trophy / PHOTO: ÃLEX CAPARRÓS - FCB

Thiago Alcántara talked to the Masía’s budding stars this afternoon. The first-team player believes that Barça’s philosophy will allow the team to continue at the highest level of play for many years thanks to “the bold, hard-working and humble players that want to reach the first team.†Thiago made the statements during the presentation of the MIC tournament , a World Cup that brings together the best Club youth systems from around the world. The tournament is played from April 4th through the 8th.

On the Liga, Thiago knows that “it’s complicated,but we’ll keep on fighting.â€

“Guardiola is our reference pointâ€

The Barça player also talked about his manager. “Everyone wants him to continue at the Club. He’s our reference point, but it’s his decision. We’ll be with him until the end of the season, we’re with our manager to the death.†He added, “Guardiola knows the whole team perfectly and he know how eagerly we eat the ball up in every training sesion, every game, his decision isn’t based only on one game.â€

FCB

Alexis: “I never settle for lessâ€
www.fcbarcelona.cat 02/23/2012 18:19
The Chilean striker believes that he can still “give more of himself†to the team, and he enjoys his playing with his new team

2012-02-23_ACTO_PROMOCIONAL_ALEXIS_SANCHEZ_-_NIKE_008.v1330017659.jpg

"I didn’t want the last game to end, I really wanted to score, play better..."
“Cristian Tello, he’s an amazing player. I love how he playsâ€
On the pitch, Alexis Sánchez is one the Barça’s stand-out players this season. In an interview with the Club’s official communication service during a promotional event, the Chilean showed his most personal side. He’s humble, honest, self-demanding and ambitious, he’s also convinced that his best days as an Azulgrana are ahead of him.
How’s your life in Barcelona? How have you adapted to the city?
“The sea is what I like the most. I haven’t had much of a chance to see much, however, it’s a beautiful city. I had the chance to visit in 2007 and it’s beautiful.â€
Do you remember when you were told of Barça’sinterest in you?
“Yes, my representative told me and I was very pleased. I didn’t want to get excited, because they always tell you that it’s going to happen and in the end it doesn’t work out. I wasn’t calm about it until I signed the contract, and while I was signing I wasn’t aware that I actually became a Barça player. It hit me when I played my first game.â€
The Chileans Carlos Caszely, Patricio Yáñez, Iván Zamorano all had a big impact on La Liga... Will you be the next successful Chilean footballer in Spain?
“I only just started my career and I have to keep on improving and learning football.â€
What are the differences between La Liga and Serie A?
“The style in Italy is more defensive. When I received the ball I’d have three men marking me, the defence was closer. It’s a little like how everyone plays their games against Barça here, but playing here is a beautiful thing for a footballer.â€
What do you think it will be like to reunite with Marcelo Bielsa in the Cup final?
“It’ll be complicated. Athletic Club have a very, very demanding manager, he notices all the details of the teams he comes up against. We’ll have to play at 150%.â€
What has been your best game for the team so far?
“I haven’t finished a game where I say to myself ‘I played well today.’ I’m not at my best level, I know I can give more of myself. I didn’t want thelast game to end, I really wanted to score, play better... I’m never satisfied.â€
Do you know that you’re one of the most sought-after players in press conferences thanks to the Chilean journalists?
“Yes, my teammates come into the dressing room and tell me ‘the Chileans are everywhere! They don’t miss a thing! They are the only ones that ask questions!â€It makes me laugh and we have a good time with it all.â€
What player from La Liga has surprised you the most?
“Cristian Tello, he’s an amazing player. I love how he plays.â€

FCB

FCBPenyes now has 10,000 followers
www.fcbarcelona.cat 02/24/2012 09:01
Major presence of supporters clubs on social networks, achieving this figure in little more than a month

Twitter.v1330070875.JPG

The Penyes Twitter has over 10000 followers
Shortly after setting up its Twitter account, FCBPenyes already has ten thousand followers. That's a remarkable amount and consolidates the supporters clubs' presence on social networks.
Clearly aimed at providing a service, the Supporters Clubs Department considered setting up its own pages on Twitter and Facebook, in order to make it a meeting point for all supporters club members and get the information to as many people as possible. The Social Area is clearly interested in exploiting new technologies, and is one further step towards a movement 2.0, which without forgetting its origins and traditions will help to promote the supporters clubs movement, a primordial target of the Penyes Segle XXI project.
Work group to monitor progress
The commission working on the Supporters Club Member's Identity created a group to look into communications and new technologies. The members of this group are overseeing the correct operation of the communication links between the Club and the Supporters Clubs and vice versa.

FCB

Barça-Atletico Madrid: 20 years of spectacular games

02/24/2012 09:45
The games between Barça and Atlético Madrid are synonymous with goals and spectacular entertainment. Over the last 20 years there havebeen an average of 4.14 goals a match

3645_07_36.v1330021022.jpg

PHOTO: ARCHIVE FCB
A series of crazy games 20 years ago marked the beginning of one of the most amazing runs of matches between the two, in which big scoresand great comebacks have proved to be the norm. The fixture has become one of La Liga's most attractive meetings and the spectacular stats show why - since the 1991/92 season, 153 goals in 37 games have been scored , at an average of 4.14 goals a game.
Red cards, comebacks and hat-tricks
The first great game between the two in the 90scame on 20th September 1992, when Hristo Stoichkov got a hat-trick in the 1-4 win at the Vicente Calderón , when the home manager Luis Aragonés was shown a red card. That was to be the start of a great series of matches.
The following season, 1993/94, Barça were three up thanks to a first half hat-trick from Romario , but Atlético Madrid fought back to win 4-3. In the return game at the Camp Nou , Barça turned that result around and won 5-3, with Romario again getting three goals and Koeman and Vizacíno sent off in the first half, before Stoichkov and López were also dismissed before the final whistle.
There were similarly action-packed games in the 1994/95 campaign, when Pep Guardiola scored the opener in the 4-3 win at the Camp Nou against an Atlético team containing their current boss Simeone . Two years later, there was a 3-3 scoreline at the Camp Nou, when Giovanni equalised in the final minutes and soonafter, in the quarter finals of the Spanish Cup, Sir Bobby Robson's men made a great fight back to win 5-4, with Pizzi getting a famous goal. Later on in the same season, Barça won 2-5 in Madrid, with a hat-trick from Ronaldo .
Five goals a game in Guardiola era
Between then and the beginning of the Guardiola era, there were plenty of other brilliant games, including a 5-2 win for Atlético Madrid in the 1997/98 season, with a Rivaldo goal from the middle of the pitch or the 0-6 win in 2006/07 when Messi marked his debut with a couple of goals - the first two of many that he has since scored against Atlético.
Under Guardiola, the number of goals per game has increased even more – to five goals a game. Barça have won all four games at the Camp Nou (6-1, 5-2, 3-0 and 5-0), whilst in Madrid there have been two wins for Atlético (4-3 and 2-1) and one for Barça, last season's 1-2 win.

FCB,

Roger Bogunyà

Centenary of Paulino Alcántara’s debut

02/24/2012 11:19
This Saturday it will a hundred years since FC Barcelona’s record goalscorer first played for the team

4-_ALCANTARA_SHOOTING.v1330079025.jpg

Paulino Alcántara
[highlight]Record in Barcelona and Philippines
In order to dedicate more time to medicine (having already been a practicing doctor since the early 1920s), Alcántara hung up his boots in 1927. He died in Barcelona in 1964 and was buried in Les Corts cemetery, next to the Camp Nou. In 2007, FIFA named him the best Asian player of all time. He still lives strong in the memory not just of Barça fans but also the Filipino population. Right now there is a huge campaign underway in the country to promote passion for the sport, and there is no better symbol or hero of the Philippine's footballing past than the legendary Paulino Alcántara.[/highlight]
On February 25, 1912 a young Filipino of just 15 years called Paulino Alcántara first pulled on thefirst team shirt and scored three goals. When he retired in 1927, he had scored 369 goals in friendlies and official matches for the club.
First hat-trick at 15 years
Born in the Philippines in 1896 to a Spanish father and Filipino mother, Alcántara was just three when his family moved to Barcelona, the same year that Joan Gamper and his friends formed FC Barcelona. In 1910, he joined the club's youth team, and was soon amazing everybody with his skill and goalscoring ability. Despite his young age, the first team already had an eye on this prodigy.
On February 25, 1912 he played for the first eleven for the first time in the Catalonian Championship at the old Carrer de la Indústria ground against Català Sporting Club. Barça won 9-0 and Alcántara scored three of the goals to set a record that has never been broken for being the youngest player to ever score for FC Barcelona in an official match.
Those were early days for the game, and there were only about a hundred people there to witness the incredible sight of this tiny child ableto shoot the ball with such immense power.
The man with the amazing goals
Defying his slender appearance, Alcántara was atrue professional from the start and fully dedicated to the cause. His medical studies helped him no end, especially his knowledge of the very latest fitness methods. This meant that an extraordinarily skinny looking player on the outside was built like a train within, and his ability to strike the ball hard astounded everyone that ever saw him play. Looking so appealing with his white handkerchief always hanging out of his shorts, he became the first major media figure in FC Barcelona history.
From 1922, he was known by the nickname of Trencaxarxes (net-breaker) after one of his shots actually managed to pierce the net in a game he played for Spain, although that was notthe first time his amazing shooting had caused uproar. On April 13, 1919, Alcántara scored what has gone down in history as the "police goal" in a game at Les Corts against Real Sociedad. A powerful shot from the Filipino was heading straight for the goal when a stray policeman somehow got in the way of the ball. Such was the power of the shot that both the ball and policeman ended up in the back of the net.

FCB,

Manel Tomàs

Barça still preparing for Atlético Madrid
www.fcbarcelona.cat 02/24/2012 12:25
Another training session with all the available first teamers plus Cristian Tello of Barça B
The injured Villa and Afellay worked out in the gym

2012-02-24_ENTRENO_28.v1330084929.JPG

Guardiola, a l'entrenament d'aquest divendres / FOTO: MIGUEL RUIZ - FCB
Barça are still getting ready for Sunday's away fixture at the Vicente Calderón against Atlético Madrid (21.30). They trained behind closed doorstoday on pitch number 2 at the Ciutat Esportiva. The session involved the same set of players that have been training all week, namely the eighteen fit members of the first team and Cristian Tello of Barça B.
While the 19 players worked out on the field, the injured David Villa and Ibrahim Afellay continued with their recovery programmes in the gym.
Further training on Saturday
The team's last session before facing Atlético Madrid will be on Saturday, once again behind closed doors at the Ciutat Esportiva, this time at 18.00. Afterwards, Pep Guardiola will be giving apress conference.
The FC Barcelona party will fly out from Barcelona to Madrid on Sunday morning, where the first encounter between Guardiola and Diego Simeone as opposing managers kicks off at 21.30.

FCB

Keita wants no more points dropped

02/24/2012 14:20
The Malian considers Sunday¡¯s trip to the VicenteCalder¨®n to be an essential moment in FC Barcelona bid to win the league title. ¡°The season is long and anything can happen in football¡± said a man who hasn¡¯t given up the chase yet
Keita says that the team ¡°will do our very best totry to win as many games as possible¡±

2012-02-24_ENTRENO_38.v1330089867.JPG

Keita / PHOTO: MIGUEL RUIZ - FCB
"This is a very important moment of the season and what we have to do is focus on the team"
Seydou Keita has spoken about the importance of the game this weekend at Atl¨¦tico Madrid, in which they will be hoping to narrow the ten-point gap on Real Madrid , who play the same day at 16.00, meaning they'll already know how their rivals have done. "This is a very important match, and with ten points between us, we can't afford to drop any more points" he said. However, he knows that the challenge ahead is anything but easy, especially against "ateam that's so strong now ... it'll will be tough and difficult".
Fighting to the end
But as he says "anything can happen in football... and we'll fight to the end." But there are no hard feelings about the compromised situation they are in, because "if Madrid are leaders, it's because they deserve to be ... we just have to do everything we can to win as many games as possible".
Keita was asked about his personal situation at FC Barcelona , and answered that "there is no time to talk about my future at the moment. Thisis a very important moment of the season and what we have to do is focus on the team."
He was also asked whether his own future at the club might be tied in any way to the presence or not of Pep Guardiola , a fervent admirer of his. Keita claimed the issues were unrelated, simply stating that the manager is very important for all of the players and all of them hope he'll stay on at the club at the end of the season.
Time of Nations Cup
Keita ended by saying that he would support anymotion to change the dates of the African Nations Cup , saying "it was a bit difficult for me to be so far away and not be able to help my team mates. But I was with my national team, which is very important to me and my country. The African Nations Cup comes at an important point in the season, and it's difficult for the players. A change of date would be better for us".

FCB,

VANESSA FORNS

The Azulgrana Roundup, Week 5

02/24/2012 22:50

FC Barcelona made the headlines once again after another week of La Liga and Champions League action. Check out what journalists and fans from around the world said about the Club

2011-08-29_FCB-VILA-REAL_8_.v1319712123.v1330123722.JPG

“When Messi scores an amazing goal... you say, ‘wow. One more!’ You lose track of how many and how important his goals are†-Martin Ainstein

"That’s the football people want to see and I really hope it’s the blueprint for the future" - Pelé

If you have suggestions for this column, please tweet them to Barça’s twitter account , make sure you tag your tweet with #FCBroundup

The above video, recorded during the taping of a Turkish Airlines advert last week, offers a rare glimpse of FC Barcelona’s first-team players.

ESPN . Graham Hunter. Lionel Messi’s rise to greatness

The incident which best sums up Leo Messi's meteoric rise from a kid ... to first-team debutantless than three years later is a match that has become known as the partido del mascara -- the face mask game.

Miami Herald . David J. Neal. LeBron James or Lionel Messi: Which one’s better?

The best player in the world authored another one of those games. One of those displays of Sizzlers speed dribbling, strength on the ball, striking finishing ability that reminded opponents, the world TV and YouTube audience of the simple fact: On his game, he cannot be stopped. And LeBron James had a sunny Sunday, too.

Buenos Aires Herald . Messi targeting favourite victims at Atlético Madrid

The World Player of the Year has more goals against Atletico than any other domestic rival - 17 in 13 matches, including 14 in La Liga and three in the King's Cup.

Twitter . Graeme Bandeira. Drawing of FC Barcelona manager Joseph Guardiola

FIFA . Pele: I was born to play football

I’ve been watching this Barça side a lot lately and they’re like Santos were in my heyday, or the great Benfica, Ajax, AC Milan and Real Madrid sides. They all set the standard in their day and, like I said, the key to their success was the fact they had settled line-ups over a long period of time. And don’t forget that Barcelona isthe core of the Spanish team.

Foreign Desk . Martin Ainstein / Sid Lowe / Filippo Ricci. Messi or Maradona? [English]

This is a repeat from last week's Azulgrana Roundup, however, this time the Foreign Desk gentlemen made an English version.

Total Barça . Tactical Review: Bayer Leverkusen 1-3 FC Barcelona

So, ever the savvy and against an opponent evennow considered by many to be the most destructive pugilist of any era, Ali decided the best way to defeat Foreman was to, of course, allow the champion to beat the living hell out of him.

Goal.com . Stefan Coerts. Alexis Sanchéz is the perfect player for Barcelona, says Ronald Koeman

He has adapted very well to Barcelona's style of play and fits in perfectly. He offers a lot of variation to Barca's game. He really gives the team something extra with his pace, close control and good runs.

FCB,

Ian MacLurg

Barça – Atlético Madrid through the eyes of legendary players

www.fcbarcelona.cat 02/25/2012 08:30

Footballers like Stoichkov, Futre, Pizzi, Caminero,Pantic, Kiko, Romário and Guardiola, and more recently, Agüero or Messi are part of the long history that Azulgranas and Colchoneros share
BAR_A-AT_MADRID_1994_002.v1330099831.jpg

FCB

Spanish League Preview Week 25

02/25/2012 17:24
Real Madrid face a real test at in-form neighbours Rayo on Sunday, whilst Espanyol andLevante meet at Cornella, Valencia are at home to Seville and there’s a six pointer at the bottom when Racing host Sporting

FCB_-_RACING_SANTANDER_39_.v1320077306.v1330187360.jpg

Puyol and Thiago against Racing Santander / PHOTO: MIGUEL RUIZ - FCB
Poor home form haunts Rayo
Rayo Vallecano have won five of their seven games since Christmas – including the last three
– and can actually boast a better record on the road this season than Barça, with 18 points.
The problem this weekend is that they are playing at home, where unfortunately they’ve been
awful, with only Sporting and Zaragoza having aworse record, what’s more they are up against
a Real Madrid team who’ve dropped just 4 pointsaway from home and have won their last
seven matches away from the Bernabeu. Mourinho will be without the injured Lass, Benzema
and Di Maria.
Six-pointer derby
The weekend kicks off with two of the bottom three facing each other in Santander, where
Racing, on 23 points, entertain Sporting Gijon, on 20. The hosts have improved markedly
since changing their manager at Christmas and taken 9 points, with last week’s defeat at the
Bernabeu only the second this year. Sporting’s record of one win in seven played a big part in
the sacking of Manolo Preciado, but his replacement Javier Clemente made a positive start last
weekend with a point against Atletico Madrid and ahead of this game claimed: “this is as near
to a derby game as we get and a draw isn’t going to be of any use to either of usâ€.
Zaragoza’s hopes fading
The only team below Racing and Sporting is Zaragoza, whose defeat last week was a real body
blow and left them a massive 11 points from safety, causing boss Manolo Jimenez to admit: “it
gets harder and harder as every week goes by towork and motivate†and on Saturday they
travel to Malaga, who know that a win would take them into the top four – if only for a couple
of hours, as Espanyol take on Levante immediately after the game down on the Costa del
Sol. Although Pochettino has said that the Champions League is a realistic goal for his team,
he also admitted this week that the pitch at Cornella†doesn’t suit our style and we don’t
feel comfortable on it at timesâ€. That shouldn’t matter too much against the fading Levante
though, who after their excellent early form have gone seven games without a win since
Christmas, shipping 9 goals in their last two games.
Revitalised Granada and improving Villarreal
Whilst the form book seems to make Espanyol and Malaga favourites to take the points this
weekend, the games involving Bilbao and Osasuna are much harder to call. The Pamplona
outfit have enjoyed great home form, with the win against Barça a great boost, but on Sunday
they face a Granada team who seem to have been revitalised by the arrival of Abel Resino,
who’s guided them to three wins out of four since he joined at the end of January. Bilbao
would also normally fancy their chances against a team lying fourth from bottom, but Villarreal
have improved over recent weeks with three wins and a draw against Barça before last week’s
slip up in Mallorca and with Bilbao perhaps feeling the effects of their herculean efforts against
Lokomotiv on Thursday, Bielsa’s men might find it a step too far to take the three points.
“Best of the restâ€
In the weekend’s other big game, Valencia- who joined Atletico Madrid and Bilbao in the last
16 of the Europa League with their win over Stoke City in midweek –are at home to Seville.
Michel will be looking to build on last weekend’swin against Osasuna, but he admitted it will
be a difficult job against what he called: “the best of the rest†after Real Madrid and Barça.
Real Sociedad and Mallorca and Betis and Getafecomplete the weekend’s fixtures with only
two points between the four of them, sitting justabove the relegation spots and just out of the
running for Europe.

FCB,

Nick Bedson

Spotlight on Atletico Madrid

02/25/2012 17:31
Atletico Madrid are one of the most successful teams in Spain, having won both the La Liga and Cup titles 9 times, including the double in 1996. After an all too familiar frustrating start to this season, the team have really upped their game since the arrival of Simeone at Christmas

FCB_-_AT_MADRID_44_.v1320074138.v1330189442.JPG

Messi vs Atletico Madrid / PHOTO: MIGUEL RUIZ- FCB
"Falcao's pace and two footed ability, combinedwith a real aerial threat make him a very complete forward and somebody the Barça defence will need to keep a very tight rein on"
HISTORY
The Athletic Madrid club was founded in 1903 bytwo Basque emigrants and for nearly 20
years they served as a feeder club for Athletic Bilbao. They became independent in 1921
and were one of the founders of the first SpanishLeague Championship. After the Civil War,
they changed their name to Athletic Aviacio de Madrid after merging with an air force team,
before becoming Atletico Madrid in 1947. The immediate post-war years saw them take four
league titles and they also won two in the 60s and two more the following decade. Their most
successful period in recent history came under Radomir Antic, when they won the double in
1996 whilst European success came with an Intertoto Cup in 2007 and the Europa League and
European Super Cup in 2010, to add to 1961’s Cup Winners Cup. The low point came in 1999-
00 when despite reaching the Cup final they were relegated and did not get back into the top
flight until 2002 . The 2010 European success under Quique Sanchez Flores couldn’t be built
on though, and after finishing seventh last season, the manager was replaced by Gregorio
Manzano, who was then himself sacked after a poor run in December 2011 and replaced by
Diego Simeone.
THE GIL I GIL ERA
The Club’s history over the last thirty years or so has been overshadowed by the figure of Jesus
Gil, a businessman and politician who ran the club between 1987 and 2003. Gil
i Gil’s direct style meant he rarely suffered managers who didn’t bring instant success and
figures of the calibre of Menotti, Clemente, Ron Atkinson, Alfio Basile, Maturana and even
club legend Luis Aragones were hired and fired in quick succession by the club chairman.
Maybe Gil’s biggest misstep though, was to scrapthe club’s youth academy in 1992, forcing a
promising young striker named Raul to cross the city and join rivals Real Madrid – the rest is
history.
GUARANTEE OF GOALS
Atletico’s games with Barça have become a guarantee of goals and excitement over the last
few seasons, with an average of over 4 goals a game over the last 20 years and to more than 5
under Guardiola, when Barça have lost twice in Madrid: 4-3 and 2-1, as well as winning 1-2 last
season, whilst winning 6-1, 5-2, 3-0 and 5-0 at the Camp Nou.
CURRENT FORM
Since Diego Simeone took over at the helm at Christmas, Atletico have been transformed, with
four league draws and three wins and concedingonly one goal- last week at Sporting, as well
as beating Lazio 4-1 on aggregate to make the last 16 of the Europa League.
ONE TO WATCH
Leo Messi’s record of 17 goals in 13 games against Atletico makes it tempting to focus on
Madrid’s Belgian keeper Thibaut Courtois, who may well be kept busy by the Argentinean,
but undoubtedly the man of the moment for Simeone’s team is Radamel Falcao, signed in the
summer from Porto for a club record €40 million. The Colombian, who was a sensational
success for the 2011 Europa League winners, scoring 17 times in 14 games, has already chalked
up two hat tricks for Atletico this season and bagged 14 goals in his 20 league appearances
so far. His pace and two footed ability, combinedwith a real aerial threat make him a very
complete forward and somebody the Barça defence will need to keep a very tight rein on.

FCB,

Nick Bedson

18 first-teamers and Tello given the nod ahead of Atlético Madrid clash
WWW.FCBARCELONA.CAT 02/25/2012 18:52
Josep Guardiola named his team ahead of tomorrow’s match against Atlético Madrid. All of the first-team players plus Barça B’s Cristian Tello will travel to the Spanish capital
The team completed their final training session ahead of the League match at the Vicente Calderón

2012-02-25_ENTRENO_08.v1330197591.JPG

La plantilla, a la Ciutat Esportiva / FOTO: MIGUEL RUIZ - FCB
Guardiola's list
Valdés, Pinto, Alves, Piqué, Cesc Fàbregas, Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta, Alexis, Messi, Thiago, Mascherano, Keita, Sergio Busquets, Pedro, Adriano, Abidal, Cuenca and Tello.
Barça’s first team completed a closed-door training session at the Ciutat Esportiva , their lastbefore tomorrow’s Matchday 25 League game, at 21:30, against Atlético Madrid at the Vicente Calderón . All of the available first-team players trained plus Tello, Balliu, Sergi Gómez and Lobato .
Upon completion of the training session, Josep Guardiola named his squad ahead of the trip to the Spanish capital. The 18 first-team players plus the young Cristian Tello were included in the manager’s list.
Trip itinerary
On Sunday, the group will meet at the Camp Nou at 9:45, from there they will go to El Prat Airport.The plane is scheduled to takeoff at 10:30 and touchdown in Madrid at 11:30. Upon arrival, the team will go directly to the hotel, where they will stay until they go to the Vicente Calderón. Kickoff is scheduled for 21:30.
Once the game is over, the Barça team will return to Barcelona at one in the morning. The plane is scheduled to land in Barcelona at 2:00.

FCB

Back