Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Wearing a crucifix: yes or no?

Context is exactly what my statement was about.

Exo 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
One verse of many
Exo 25:17 And thou shalt make a mercy seat of pure gold: two cubits and a half shall be the length thereof, and a cubit and a half the breadth thereof.
Exo 25:18 And thou shalt make two cherubims of gold, of beaten work shalt thou make them, in the two ends of the mercy seat.
Exo 25:19 And make one cherub on the one end, and the other cherub on the other end: even of the mercy seat shall ye make the cherubims on the two ends thereof.
Exo 25:20 And the cherubims shall stretch forth their wings on high, covering the mercy seat with their wings, and their faces shall look one to another; toward the mercy seat shall the faces of the cherubims be.
Exo 25:21 And thou shalt put the mercy seat above upon the ark; and in the ark thou shalt put the testimony that I shall give thee.
Read them in context.

Which shows exactly that if Exo 20:4 were to be taken literally, you are implying God is contradicting his own commandment. Which he isn't, as JacobBoheme was faster than me to point out. :)

Which shows exactly that if Exo 20:4 were to be taken literally, you are implying God is contradicting his own commandment. Which he isn't, as JacobBoheme was faster than me to point out. :)

Exo 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:

the Ark was made unto God

You dont see the difference?

You have a bad habit of jumping to conclusions .
I have a bad habit of being observant, and ignoring the context within the posts of others is what you do a lot.

Take a hint, 500 years from now no one will remember you, and they will still be researching Calvin and the Westminster Confession, and Mary will still be dead and fools will still think its 'christian' to communicate with the dead.
I don't mind if people don't remember me. I don't even need people to ever know about me. This is about God, not about us.
Oh yes, they will quite possibly be researching Calvin at that point, but that doesn't prove anything else than that he was a controversial historical figure (and I say that as a positive thing).

Oh, also, I don't know if this is so on purpose or if it got deleted, but you are quoting my answer to your question for Free, but aren't providing any comments underneath.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a bad habit of being observant, and ignoring the context within the posts of others is what you do a lot.

I don't mind if people don't remember me. I don't even need people to ever know about me. This is about God, not about us.
Oh yes, they will quite possibly be researching Calvin at that point, but that doesn't prove anything else than that he was a controversial historical figure (and I say that as a positive thing).

Oh, also, I don't know if this is so on purpose or if it got deleted, but you are quoting my answer to your question for Free, but aren't providing any comments underneath.
The 'context' of your post was easy enough to ascertain;
PHGhost's interpretations should be followed by all , as phghost's interpretation is the equal of Scripture itself.

Yes, these guys were masters at looking at things plainly, and so missing out on the context a lot. Do you mean to say that you trust the interpretation made by Calvin, Henry and Boettner more than you trust the interpretation by the Bible itself? I think that is quite dangerous and could easily lead you to many a valley of heresy.

the Ark was made unto God

You dont see the difference?

And you are back again to only looking to Exodus 20:4 for the wisdom.

And let them make me a sanctuary; that I may dwell among them.
(Exodus 25:8)

It is made for God as well, but also for them to keep in order to be close to God. God did not take the ark away once it was finished, but it stayed with the Hebrews.

And thou shalt put into the ark the testimony which I shall give thee.
(Exodus 25:16)

And thou shalt put the mercy seat above upon the ark; and in the ark thou shalt put the testimony that I shall give thee.
(Exodus 25:21)

So, the ark is a sanctuary for God -- but is it completely empty f any physical objects? No, it actually contains the two stone tablets on which the ten commandments are engraved. So, in fact, it is a container for them, to protect another item given to them. But it is not a problem as the ark is not supposed to be the object of worship, but something through which God is present. He actually associates himself with a physical object made from matter.

And you are also completely sidestepping the fact of Jesus' Incarnation, as I already mentioned before, and thus the whole New Testament.

Listening to you guys, I genuinely wonder -- do you never take photos of yourself or of other things? What is on your driving license? Or is that an exception to the strict interpretation of the second commandment you seem to live by?

Listening to you guys, I genuinely wonder -- do you never take photos of yourself or of other things? What is on your driving license? Or is that an exception to the strict interpretation of the second commandment you seem to live by?
Not to mention much art, children's volcanoes and models of the solar system for science fairs, etc., etc., etc.

And you are back again to only looking to Exodus 20:4 for the wisdom.

And let them make me a sanctuary; that I may dwell among them.
(Exodus 25:8)

It is made for God as well, but also for them to keep in order to be close to God. God did not take the ark away once it was finished, but it stayed with the Hebrews.
made for God.

And thou shalt put into the ark the testimony which I shall give thee.
(Exodus 25:16)

And thou shalt put the mercy seat above upon the ark; and in the ark thou shalt put the testimony that I shall give thee.
(Exodus 25:21)
coming from God to man
So, the ark is a sanctuary for God -- but is it completely empty f any physical objects? No, it actually contains the two stone tablets on which the ten commandments are engraved. So, in fact, it is a container for them, to protect another item given to them. But it is not a problem as the ark is not supposed to be the object of worship, but something through which God is present. He actually associates himself with a physical object made from matter.
God had them fill it with what He asked for.

And you are also completely sidestepping the fact of Jesus' Incarnation, as I already mentioned before, and thus the whole New Testament.
NO. Not not at all Salvation belongs to the Lord. The OT is a a clear picture of Christ. Just as we are not to worship God in our own ways. Works salvation etc. This topic is clear example of ...Pro 16:25 There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.
His way not ours. Thank you for making my point so well. You "speak" much better then I .

From my reading of your post i doubt you 'listen'.

made for God.
Truly, I congratulate you. A very splendid example of how to cut away the second half of a sentence to prove your point. Made for them to keep. Made for God to dwell in -- the same way you call a church the house of God, which it truly is, as per Matthew 18:20.

NO. Not not at all Salvation belongs to the Lord. The OT is a a clear picture of Christ. Just as we are not to worship God in our own ways. Works salvation etc. This topic is clear example of ...Pro 16:25 There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.
His way not ours. Thank you for making my point so well. You "speak" much better then I .
I am sorry, but I am probably completely missing the point of what you are trying to say with this, partially because the missing punctuation, but partially because I don't understand the connection. Could you please elaborate/clarify?

From my reading of your post i doubt you 'listen'.
No, in all honesty, I would like to know how you reconcile that with your beliefs, because it is hard to imagine.

PHGhost i dont write well. so those insults i am used to.

as far a cutting off a sentence
Made for them to keep. Made for God to dwell in
Is that better? It is still is the same in my simple mind...

God commanded them to build the ark. Just as He commanded Noah. He also commanded them not to make unto themselves any graven image.

That was not meant as an insult, sorry if it came out as one. I really don't understand what you wanted to say by that, which is why I did not reply and instead asked for a clarification.

And the same with the photo. Is a photo OK? If yes, what makes it OK?

Made for them to keep. Made for God to dwell in.

Translated to KJV-equivalent speech (approximately):

Made unto them, for God to dwell in.

as far a cutting off a sentence
Is that better? It is still is the same in my simple mind...

God commanded them to build the ark. Just as He commanded Noah. He also commanded them not to make unto themselves any graven image.
Its funny, transubstantiation vs the 2nd Commandment.:waving

You'll have to repost the relevant bit then because I don't see how that was addressed.

I think he is referring to this:

Nothing must replace or supplement the Word of God for teaching us about God. Calvin approves of books about the Bible, but not pictures of God. He says that Christ must be depicted by true preaching of the Gospel; the cross is to be depicted by preaching the cross - not by pictures (Inst. 1.11.7, citing Gal. 3:1).

Back