Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Wearing a crucifix: yes or no?

At the moment, I wear a set of U.S. Army dog-tags, embossed with two of my favourite verses of scripture: (Psalm 117 v 5 & Romans 5 v 9). It gives me the advantage of having two of my favourite verses on my person at all times, plus it has the significance of being ID tags without my ID on them (see John 3 v 30 - Acts 4 v 12).

So!

Crucifix or no crucifix? What's your thoughts?

DC: I can see now that you like to wear the tags, with Scripture references.

I guess that you can clearly understand why some Christians also like to wear faith related jewelry or get faith related tattoos. (From what you've said elsewhere, there are those in your local church who don't like these.)

A linguistic point: a cross piece of jewelry might popularly be referred to as a crucifix, but strictly a crucifix refers to a cross and the figure hanging on it as well; whereas a cross strictly refers to the + shape, without the figure. (Among Protestants, much is often made of the emphasis on the Resurrection, as a reminder that the Lord Jesus is no longer on the Cross. Often it is Roman Catholics who would wear the entire crucifix, even though in theory they would also hold to the Resurrection.)

So I guess I can understand your other posts on the other thread a bit better now. You do like to wear faith related jewelry, it seems. And I guess you welcome the opportunity for conversations with people, with the jewelry as a lead in opportunity.

As you will maybe realize, there's not only neck jewelry but also others, such an earring. Not that you necessarily intend to do this or anything, but the advantage of a pierced ear is that once healed the piercing stud can be exchanged for a cross stud (although I don't wear this). And, of course, unlike a tattoo (which can however be covered) a cross pendant or earring can be removed, and reinserted when the person wants to.

(Further two cents'.)

Mike, doesn't your pastor wear a stole with the cross of Peter on it? Our's does...it's pretty traditional for pastor's in the liturgical churches.

My view on the subject... probably unsurprising to anyone who knows me... This is an area of Christian liberty and anyone is free to wear one. But if one feels one shouldn't wear it...don't.

All is lawful, but not all is profitable and anything not done out of faith is sin.

h:

Sometimes the question relates to the conception of whether preachers are 'fellowhelpers to the truth', elders, etc., or whether there is a more sacerdotalist conception of clergy as a class of people apart and even as mediators with God. This is a broader issue; wider than the matter of crosses, I guess.

h:

Sometimes the question relates to the conception of whether preachers are 'fellowhelpers to the truth', elders, etc., or whether there is a more sacerdotalist conception of clergy as a class of people apart and even as mediators with God. This is a broader issue; wider than the matter of crosses, I guess.

Much broader! ;)

If you look at the context of what is written in the second commandment, you will understand that the problem is the worship of such items -- i.e. idolatry.

There is nothing wrong with wearing a cross to a) remind yourself of Christ daily b) to show your allegiance to the Lord.
That is not the question at hand.
Even using such items as an aid for worship of the Lord is not prohibited by the second commandment.

Hitch,

Where do we draw the line though?
No representations whatsoever, physical nor imagined, of any of the three persons of the Godhead nor of Jesus Christ are permitted Hows that ?
Have you ever watched a movie about Christ? I would take a guess at yes (could be wrong though) or a documentry? The person playing Christ in the film/documentry isn't Christ, but a representation, however reading the article you posted would shed that person as an idol, but we both know that isn't the case.

I think Paul expressed it best when he stated that if your heart convicts you, then don't do it, because it's not done in faith.

I agree that we should follow the commandments of God, Amen to that, but we should also pray for understanding, not that we break the commandments, but to understand them fully.
John Calvin also took a strong position against images (Institutes, Book 1, chap. 11, sections 2-13 especially). Calvin also wrote against the Eastern Orthodox, who favoured pictures of Jesus. He stressed that the second commandment is not just against the worship of images: it also forbids "making" or "having" them (Inst. 1.11.13). It forbids using them as educational tools to help the unlearned (Inst. 1.11.5). Nothing must replace or supplement the Word of God for teaching us about God. Calvin approves of books about the Bible, but not pictures of God. He says that Christ must be depicted by true preaching of the Gospel; the cross is to be depicted by preaching the cross - not by pictures (Inst. 1.11.7, citing Gal. 3:1).

Calvin is also aware that people will argue that God Himself gave His people visible manifestations of Himself: cloud, flame and smoke on Sinai; the Holy Spirit as a dove. But this does not justify our making of images from such appearances (Inst. 1.11.3).

The views of Calvin and Beza found their way into English Puritanism. Modern writers who have accepted this view include such well-known figures as John Murray and Loraine Boettner.
http://www.rcnzonline.com/fnf/a97.htm
An example of that would be Christ himself, when he taught the Sermon on the Mount, he went through the commandments and expanded on them, giving the people (and us) understanding. If we take adultery as an example, back before the Sermon, people who have only thought adultery was sleeping with another mans wife (as an example), but Jesus said that even looking at a woman in lust is adultery.

I think we all walk a fine line between being a pharisee and a true follower of Christ. All they did was throw comments about the Law to Christ, similar things to what we throw to each other, but Christ had understanding and knew their hearts and could answer them. We, unfortunately, don't quite have the answers Christ did/does :lol

By the way, not disagreeing with you, just looking at it from a different perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you look at the context of what is written in the second commandment, you will understand that the problem is the worship of such items -- i.e. idolatry.

There is nothing wrong with wearing a cross to a) remind yourself of Christ daily b) to show your allegiance to the Lord.

Even using such items as an aid for worship of the Lord is not prohibited by the second commandment.

From Matt Henry;

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif][SIZE=-2][FONT=Times, Times New Roman, Serif][SIZE=+1]2. Does this commandment forbid the making of images for a religious use? Yes: Cursed be the man that maketh any graven image, Deut. 27:15. Does it forbid the making an image of what is in heaven above? Yes: Lest thou lift up thine eyes unto heaven, and when thou seest the sun, and the moon, and the stars, shouldst be driven to worship them, Deut. 4:19. Or on earth, beneath? Yes: As they changed their glory into the similitude of an ox, Ps. 106:20. Or in the waters under the earth? Yes: As they made the likeness of creeping things, Rom. 1:23.[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

http://www.shortercatechism.com/resources/henry/wsc_he_049.html

From Matt Henry;

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif][SIZE=-2][FONT=Times, Times New Roman, Serif][SIZE=+1]2. Does this commandment forbid the making of images for a religious use? Yes: Cursed be the man that maketh any graven image, Deut. 27:15. Does it forbid the making an image of what is in heaven above? Yes: Lest thou lift up thine eyes unto heaven, and when thou seest the sun, and the moon, and the stars, shouldst be driven to worship them, Deut. 4:19. Or on earth, beneath? Yes: As they changed their glory into the similitude of an ox, Ps. 106:20. Or in the waters under the earth? Yes: As they made the likeness of creeping things, Rom. 1:23.[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

http://www.shortercatechism.com/resources/henry/wsc_he_049.html
Clearly the context is that of worship--graven images as idols and gods to worship. Context is everything:

Deu 27:15 'Cursed is the one who makes a carved or molded image, an abomination to the LORD, the work of the hands of the craftsman, and sets it up in secret.' "And all the people shall answer and say, 'Amen!'

So, no, it does not at all speak to wearing a cross or crucifix, unless one worships that cross or crucifix.

Mike, doesn't your pastor wear a stole with the cross of Peter on it? Our's does...it's pretty traditional for pastor's in the liturgical churches.

Dora, our pastor rarely wears a stole. Are you saying your pastor wears an upside down cross on it? Why?

As I understand it, when the reformation was starting out and Martin Luther was released, he found people were in mobs, throwing everything from paintings to crosses to Bibles into fires. He was shocked and horrified by some of the things they were burning. Though I'm a Lutheran, I don't follow Luther. I follow Christ. But he did have a solid stance, IMO. People can be overzealous in their vigil against things such as this.

I don't wear a cross. I'm a male Protestant Christian in the South. I don't have a firm opinion on it. I've read, I think in either some RC Sproul or JI Packer, that there's a strong argument against any sort of Christian symbol for almost any purpose.

I will say that, growing up in the Bible Belt, I found that the Christians with WWJD bracelets and/or crosses and/or Christian-oriented clothing weren't always the most stellar Christians. I'd be kind of paranoid about sinning if I was wearing a cross or some kind of Christian merchandise. The world watches Christians closely, anyway, so the last thing I'd want would be to make myself the object of even more intense scrutiny.

Personal opinion, obviously.

I wear a WWJD shirt I got from a missions trip, sometimes people are like what does your shirt mean and I pretend it means different stuff and eventually tell them...never feel judged unless I'm around someone I don't necessarily agree with about religion.

I wear a WWJD shirt I got from a missions trip, sometimes people are like what does your shirt mean and I pretend it means different stuff and eventually tell them...never feel judged unless I'm around someone I don't necessarily agree with about religion.

Jman96:

I guess this whole issue is part of the larger issue of faith related decoration, jewelry and even tattoos. (Obviously for you tattoos are not an option, probably.) Some ppl like to complement the life and word of witness aspect with some kind of physical display; the WWJD logo is certainly popular, as are crosses, whether on a pendant or elsewhere. Personally I think the whole emphasis needs to be on the inward and spiritual. But I would neither criticize people such you for wanting to wear what you do, nor any other these other things, either; just not my personal preference.

(Hope you had a great b-day, btw!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops, it's a DWJD shirt my bad! (Do what Jesus Did)

haha and yeah it was fun, you would know if you used pm haha...

Oops, it's a DWJD shirt my bad! (Do what Jesus Did)

haha and yeah it was fun, you would know if you used pm haha...

J: How do you mean?

Anyway, I do think a healthy emphasis should always be on the inward and spiritual, whether or not some outward display is also used.

J: How do you mean?

Anyway, I do think a healthy emphasis should always be on the inward and spiritual, whether or not some outward display is also used.

What exactly is your question?

Yeah completely agree, ever since that missions trip I have never been the same. Changed my life, we saved a lady who was juggling the idea of suicide and she had two little girls. We brought her to Christ along with many children!

What exactly is your question?

Yeah completely agree, ever since that missions trip I have never been the same. Changed my life, we saved a lady who was juggling the idea of suicide and she had two little girls. We brought her to Christ along with many children!

J:

You want to pm, you mean?

Really good that the lady didn't take her life. Let's hope the Lord saved her.

When we left she was involved with a church and meeting the pastor! God is good!!!!! Haha really scary town...he protected us from the drug dealers though, they were the worst.

Haha I'm good, that's up to you.. :P

When we left she was involved with a church and meeting the pastor! God is good!!!!! Haha really scary town...he protected us from the drug dealers though, they were the worst.

Haha I'm good, that's up to you.. :P

j96:

Well, good for the lady. Let's hope she now feeds daily on the Word, prayerfully.

(I'm not sure I have anything to ask that I wouldn't discuss here, anyway.)

my friend (non christian) gabe me a beaded cross and a poem, I carry both in my wallet.

The poem says:
I carry a cross in my pocket
A simple reminder to me,
Of the fact that I am Christian
No matter where I may be.

This little cross is not magic
Noris it a lucky charm,
It isnt meant to protect me
From every physical harm.

Its not for identification
For all the world to see,
Its simply an understanding
Between the saviour and me.

When I put my hand in my pocket
To bring out a coin or a key,
The cross is there to remind me
Of the price He paid for me.

It reminds me to be thankful
For my blessing day by day,
and to strive to serve him better
In all that I do or say.

Its also a daily reminder
Of the peace andcomfort I share,
With all who know my master
And give themselves to His care.

So, I carry a cross in my pocket
Reminding no one but me,
That Jesus Christ is the lord of my life
If only Id let him be.

To those who take a very literal and uncompromising view of the second commandment, Im wondering how you can even see this forum, as Jesus himself comands that if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out..... (NIV Mk.9:47)

it must be horrible to walk around with no hands, no feet and drowning with a millstone around your neck........ (unless of course you havnt sinned.......)

Perhaps you should condemn the entire early church for using the Ichthys?

Also condem communion, for if anything is a symbol of christ its the bread and wine of the Lords supper. funny..... I thought Jesus came to fulfill the law, not to break it.

A cross is not, in my opinion, am idol or a representation of the trinity. It is a reminder of our commitment and Gods Grace.

Back