Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study WELCOME TO A DEEP LOOK AT GENESIS

Dear Brother Chopper, I’m not sure of your thoughts of Abraham in type representing our Father God, and acting on that example to us-ward was willing to do exactly that which God did for us in sacrificing His Son Jesus.

A further example will be seen when we get to Genesis Chapter Twenty-four where we see Abraham (type of our Father) send His eldest servant Eliezer (type of the Holy Spirit) to his own people (The elect) to choose out of them a bride (Rebekah) for his son Isaac (Jesus).

It was nothing that your Dad wouldn't have done. Somehow, I feel connected with him. I can't explain that except my relationship with you somehow spiritually connects your Dad and me. I will be so happy to meet him someday....And thank you for those nice words. I'm reminded, is there anything to hard for the Lord?
Dad is setting on the bank fishing with St Peter... :) wait a few more years then get your rod n reel and join 'em... :)

Dad is setting on the bank fishing with St Peter... :) wait a few more years then get your rod n reel and join 'em... :)
Watch out though ! Peter doesn't fish 'fair' ---- he don't use bait, just a hook, and then catches a fish with a gold coin in it's mouth!!!

Matthew 17

Dear Brother Chopper, I’m not sure of your thoughts of Abraham in type representing our Father God, and acting on that example to us-ward was willing to do exactly that which God did for us in sacrificing His Son Jesus.

A further example will be seen when we get to Genesis Chapter Twenty-four where we see Abraham (type of our Father) send His eldest servant Eliezer (type of the Holy Spirit) to his own people (The elect) to choose out of them a bride (Rebekah) for his son Isaac (Jesus).

I'm not sure of what your referring to my friend. Abraham in type representing God? Please explain, I'm in the dark.

I'm not sure of what your referring to my friend. Abraham in type representing God? Please explain, I'm in the dark.
Chopper. Thanks for your answer. It has to do with what the story-line represents as it were when seen as allegories of what came afterward much like that of Melchizedek having a priesthood according to Hebrews 7:3 saying Melchisedec was "made like unto the Son of God;"

1 Cor 10:11 Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.

Sister Deborah13 mentioned something along this line in the following post. URL. http://christianforums.net/Fellowsh...eep-look-at-genesis.53389/page-39#post-936732

Blessings in Christ Jesus.

Given Jer 19:5 and Jer 32:35 , I'm not sure it was actually God who instructed Abraham to sacrifice Isaac. Rather, I think it is possible that Abraham was accused, or felt he was in danger, of loving his son more than God, and was then lead somehow to believe giving up Isaac in human sacrifice was the only way to prove his faith in God. Abraham passed this test of faith not because he was willing to murder his child, because followers of Baal and Molech willingly did that as well. Rather he passed because faced with this conundrum Abraham trusted, listened for, heard, and obeyed God's command to stay his hand, and instead accept the sacrifice God provided.

Besides the Old Testament writing, Torah, which doesn't allow for sacrifice to baal or molech,
and which states clearly what Yhwh directed Abraham to do, and that Yhwh directed him,
there is the testimony of the New Testament as well >
Hebrews 11 (biblegateway AMP) 17 By faith Abraham, when he was put to the test [while the testing of his faith was still in progress], had already brought Isaac for an offering; he who had gladly received and welcomed [God’s] promises was ready to sacrifice his only son,
18 Of whom it was said, Through Isaac shall your descendants be reckoned.
19 For he reasoned that God was able to raise [him] up even from among the dead. "

and I think this actually contradicts any thought that baal or molech or pagan worship had anything(*) to do with Yhwh's test of Abraham.
as
none of those pagan religions, no other religion at all, offered nor promised a resurrection back to life from the dead of a sacrificed child
nor, for that matter, a resurrection for anyone.

(*) anything other than a stark contrast with the other religions , a contradiction and separation from them to serve the one living God,
and perhaps though I didn't associate it before, a demonstration of Abraham's Faith in Yhwh instead of baal or molech - LIFE instead of death, obedience to Yhwh instead of pagan service to baal or molech.

Anyone can second-guess the communication between God and man, but Gen 22:1 that God “said unto him”, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am.
Gen 22:2 And he (God) said . .

The verdict? Rom 4:3 Abraham believed God . .,

This same testing is common in our lives, 1 Pet 1:7 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:

Heb 11:17 By faith Abraham, when he was tried . .
Byfaith in what? Was it not that which God had told him?

NOTE: How does everyone like the study thus far? Any suggestions of how to improve it?

Day 46 Sunday 6/1/14 Genesis 22:9-24 The ultimate Sacrifice.

V.9 continues our mystery, will Abraham sacrifice his son, or won't he? V.10 Describes Abraham attempting to carry thru the sacrifice when the Angel (messenger) of Jehovah stops him. Here we can jump over to James 2:21-23 "for the rest of the story."

Jas 2:20 Do you want to be shown, you foolish person, that faith apart from works is useless?
Jas 2:21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up his son Isaac on the altar?
Jas 2:22 You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by his works;
Jas 2:23 and the Scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness"—and he was called a friend of God.

Faith and works or faith alone have been debated for years. A close look at the Genesis account, and the James account brings the debate a little clearer. Faith alone is useless, works alone is useless, BUT, Faith and works together are what God expects.

The word "fear" appears in V.12. "I know that you fear God." This is not fright, a running away from, but a "reverence", in other words, Abraham had great awe and respect which resulted in trust for YHWH, that he felt that what he knew about Jehovah from past experience, he figured that God would not hurt him or his only son. I really like Abraham's relationship with the Almighty God.

V.14 gives us a glimpse into the nature of God. "The Lord will provide = Jehovah Jireh". This can put teeth into the mouth of the faithful when praying for a provision needed for the believer in Jesus.

Abraham continues on his journey to Beersheba where he settles for a time....The Chapter ends with a mention of the birth line of Rebekah, Isaac's future wife.

I am fine with it.... when i am cranky i wish for less 'fun talk' when the "fun talk" is not here i wish it was.... :screwloose
Chopper your leadership is welcome.... And we all know we can holler slow down at any time...

YLT [I changed one words spelling]
Gen 22:16 and saith, `By Myself I have sworn--the affirmation of Yehovah--that because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only one--
Gen 22:17 that blessing I bless thee, and multiplying I multiply thy seed as stars of the heavens, and as sand which is on the sea-shore; and thy seed doth possess the gate of his enemies;
Gen 22:18 and blessed themselves in thy seed have all nations of the earth, because that thou hast hearkened to My voice.'

Gal_3:16 and to Abraham were the promises spoken, and to his seed; He doth not say, `And to seeds,' as of many, but as of one, `And to thy seed,' which is Christ;

Rom 9:8 that is, the children of the flesh--these are not children of God; but the children of the promise are reckoned for seed;

This Genesis 22 is where I think the covenant is ratified by God.

Yes, Abraham believed God and it was counted to him as Righteousness (being Right with God, as God says).

Similarly, if I remember, God told His people to dedicate the first born son of every family to Him. This may be coming up later, I'm not trying to jump ahead - but remembering at this point that Abraham offers his son, that all the families of Israel were required to do the same - until Levites perhaps, maybe after that also, dedicating the first-born son to Yhwh's Service
was required of each family.
How that relates to us today is a long way in time, distance, and life separated.
But in faith, how may it be similar in what God requires of us (our own lives dedicated to Him) ? (As well as , more-so perhaps, God's Promises to His redeemed ones)

Last edited by a moderator:
NOTE: How does everyone like the study thus far? Any suggestions of how to improve it?

I haven't been posting as much as I intended to in the beginning, but I have been reading what others have posted and I think it's been a good study so far.

The TOG​

Thank you folks for your replies...if at any time you have a suggestion, please don't hesitate to mention it. I try and stay with each context for each day, unless the context is very long, then I'll split it up. I don't like to have more than one Thought pattern, or Scriptural point, thus being context.

Day 47 Monday 6/2/14 Genesis 23:1-20 A Great Woman of God Dies.

Chapter 23 records the death of Sarah, Abraham's beloved wife and mother of Isaac. Sarah was a devoted wife to Abraham, certainly an example of being obedient to her husband's decisions as in his wife/sister ruse two times that we know of. Abraham "went in", probably his tent, and mourned Sarah's passing from this world to the next. I think that Abraham knew that he would see her again in the City not made with hands! Sarah died at Kiriath-arba (Hebron) in the Promised Land!

An interesting discourse between Abraham and Ephron the Hittite, The transaction took place at the gate of Hebron where all legal matters took place in the presence of others. It strikes me as amusing that at the first request for his cave, Ephron offers his cave free of charge, and on the second, he just happened to mention four hundred shekels of silver, as if it just popped out. Personally, I think the offer of free was just an act to impress his neighbors, and the second was his true mind on the matter. What do you think?

Quite a large area consisting of a field, cave, and all the trees of the field became Abraham's property, East of Hebron, out of Abraham's sight so that he would not have a constant reminder of his beloved Sara's death, which would lengthen his mourning IMO.

Back