Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study WELCOME TO A DEEP LOOK AT GENESIS

Jews read the Torah in the synagogue every Sabbath and have divided it up into sections so that they go through it all in one year. Each parasha or weekly reading has a name to identify it, usually based on a word or words from the first verse of the parasha. The 5th parasha, Genesis 23:1 - 25:18, is called Chayei Sarah, a name which is taken from Gen. 23:1 and means "Sarah lived". Interesting that a chapter that tells of Sarah's death starts by emphasizing her life.

The TOG​

An interesting discourse between Abraham and Ephron the Hittite, The transaction took place at the gate of Hebron where all legal matters took place in the presence of others. It strikes me as amusing that at the first request for his cave, Ephron offers his cave free of charge, and on the second, he just happened to mention four hundred shekels of silver, as if it just popped out. Personally, I think the offer of free was just an act to impress his neighbors, and the second was his true mind on the matter. What do you think?

(I think) that if Abraham had accepted the 'free' offer, there were 'strings attached' to be realized later and they all knew it.
Or quite possibly the giver would have been greatly offended in the front of others if Abraham had accepted it, and would have made future dealings, if any, much more costly or difficult.

Their ways of conducting business, especially "in the gate"(the 'seat' of authority),was possibly very 'formal' in conduct and speech, and was very different than we have ever been part of in our lives; the 'conditions' of a sale or transaction for land,produce,cattle,livestock,slaves,marriages were all spelled out in long great detail (in their lives more-so than in written contracts possibly), and a lot of what they 'knew' and did routinely we often don't realize.

That's the way they did business back then. It was pretty much the opposite of the way haggling works today. The seller would start by offering the thing being sold for free or a very low price. Then the buyer would insist on paying a price everyone knew was way too high or, as in this case, "just name your price". Eventually, they would agree on a fair price, which everyone knew from the beginning was what the price would be.

The TOG​

Gen 23:1 And Sarah was an hundred and seven and twenty years old: these were the years of the life of Sarah.
Gen 23:2 And Sarah died in Kirjatharba; the same is Hebron in the land of Canaan: and Abraham came to mourn for Sarah, and to weep for her.
Gen 23:3 And Abraham stood up from before his dead, and spake unto the sons of Heth, saying,
Gen 23:4 I am a stranger and a sojourner with you: give me a possession of a burying place with you, that I may bury my dead out of my sight.
Gen 23:5 And the children of Heth answered Abraham, saying unto him,
Gen 23:6 Hear us, my lord: thou art a mighty prince among us: in the choice of our sepulchres bury thy dead; none of us shall withhold from thee his sepulchre, but that thou mayest bury thy dead.
Gen 23:7 And Abraham stood up, and bowed himself to the people of the land, even to the children of Heth.
Gen 23:8 And he communed with them, saying, If it be your mind that I should bury my dead out of my sight; hear me, and intreat for me to Ephron the son of Zohar,
Gen 23:9 That he may give me the cave of Machpelah, which he hath, which is in the end of his field; for as much money as it is worth he shall give it me for a possession of a burying place amongst you.
Gen 23:10 And Ephron dwelt among the children of Heth: and Ephron the Hittite answered Abraham in the audience of the children of Heth, even of all that went in at the gate of his city, saying,
Gen 23:11 Nay, my lord, hear me: the field give I thee, and the cave that is therein, I give it thee; in the presence of the sons of my people give I it thee: bury thy dead.
Gen 23:12 And Abraham bowed down himself before the people of the land.
Gen 23:13 And he spake unto Ephron in the audience of the people of the land, saying, But if thou wilt give it, I pray thee, hear me: I will give thee money for the field; take it of me, and I will bury my dead there.
Gen 23:14 And Ephron answered Abraham, saying unto him,
Gen 23:15 My lord, hearken unto me: the land is worth four hundred shekels of silver; what is that betwixt me and thee? bury therefore thy dead.
Gen 23:16 And Abraham hearkened unto Ephron; and Abraham weighed to Ephron the silver, which he had named in the audience of the sons of Heth, four hundred shekels of silver, current money with the merchant.
Gen 23:17 And the field of Ephron, which was in Machpelah, which was before Mamre, the field, and the cave which was therein, and all the trees that were in the field, that were in all the borders round about, were made sure
Gen 23:18 Unto Abraham for a possession in the presence of the children of Heth, before all that went in at the gate of his city.
Gen 23:19 And after this, Abraham buried Sarah his wife in the cave of the field of Machpelah before Mamre: the same is Hebron in the land of Canaan.
Gen 23:20 And the field, and the cave that is therein, were made sure unto Abraham for a possession of a burying place by the sons of Heth.

We all know there is more to her burial spot then just a a pretty place... what are the "mores"

Last edited:
A record of this transaction has been in the Torah for over 3000 years, and Palestinians still say that Jews have no historical connection to the land. I wonder if there's some reason for this record being there besides letting us know where Sarah is burried.

The TOG​

I get the sense of the importance of something being 'paid for' Abe paid for what what was his by promise...

I get the sense of the importance of something being 'paid for' Abe paid for what what was his by promise...
???
Gen 15:15 And thou shalt go to thy fathers in peace; thou shalt be buried in a good old age.
Gen 15:18 In the same day the LORD made a covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates:

A record of this transaction has been in the Torah for over 3000 years, and Palestinians still say that Jews have no historical connection to the land. I wonder if there's some reason for this record being there besides letting us know where Sarah is burried.

The TOG​

That's an interesting question my friend. The Palestinians are very vengeful of The line of Abraham and God's decree and Covenant with Israel over the promised land that rightfully belongs to Israel, not the Palestinians. To tell you the truth, I don't really understand the great disagreement between the two. I just know that the entire Promised Land belongs to Israel.

I agree with your wondering. I think that there is a whole lot more to the reason that the record shows where Sarah was buried.

Day 48 Tuesday 6/3/14 Genesis 24:1-33 A Wife For Isaac.

Chapter 24 V.1 Opens with Abraham's age. Probably one hundred and forty years old. Next in V.2 Abraham's "oldest servant" probably Eliezer who had lived with Abraham for at least fifty years and probably even Sixty years because he is mentioned in Genesis 15:2.

"Put your hand under my thigh", I had always thought that this request was very interesting, and wondered why that was done until I studied it out. It was apparently a custom for certain ceremonies where a servant demonstrates his submission to his master. Some say it still is practiced in India. In Abraham's case perhaps it had a prophetic meaning in that the Messiah would come from the loins of Abraham.

The fact that Abraham needed a wife from his own family, or as it says "kindred" in Mesopotamia, where Abraham was born and where Nahor his close Kin lived. This would keep the line pure so that Messiah would come from Abraham's kindred and not a mixed line from the Canaanites.

An amazing supernatural event took place in Eliezer's prayer to God for his master Abraham's request. The result of his fleece, if you will, was immediately fulfilled in the coming of Rebekah to fulfill exactly the prayer of Eliezer. IMO, we all have a romantic side of us that really likes a good love story, and this one is so special. I guess I'm a little surprised that the evil one stayed away from this great chance to mess up the Messianic family line. Apparently, this adventure was under very close supervision by Jehovah Himself and a legion of Angels.

Laban "ran" to meet this man with all the fine jewelry and invited Eliezer to spend the night, nothing was spared in order to entertain this stranger, the men who were with him, and the animals. Eliezer would not eat until he knew if God had answered the reason for him being there....Strictly business!!

Arranged marriages were good. (some turned out not so good; but overall it was good(especially compared to babylon-usa) ) !

Gen 24:1 And Abraham was old, and well stricken in age: and the LORD had blessed Abraham in all things.
Gen 24:2 And Abraham said unto his eldest servant of his house, that ruled over all that he had, Put, I pray thee, thy hand under my thigh:
Gen 24:3 And I will make thee swear by the LORD, the God of heaven, and the God of the earth, that thou shalt not take a wife unto my son of the daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I dwell:
Gen 24:4 But thou shalt go unto my country, and to my kindred, and take a wife unto my son Isaac.
Gen 24:5 And the servant said unto him, Peradventure the woman will not be willing to follow me unto this land: must I needs bring thy son again unto the land from whence thou camest?
Gen 24:6 And Abraham said unto him, Beware thou that thou bring not my son thither again.
Gen 24:7 The LORD God of heaven, which took me from my father's house, and from the land of my kindred, and which spake unto me, and that sware unto me, saying, Unto thy seed will I give this land; he shall send his angel before thee, and thou shalt take a wife unto my son from thence.
Gen 24:8 And if the woman will not be willing to follow thee, then thou shalt be clear from this my oath: only bring not my son thither again.
Gen 24:9 And the servant put his hand under the thigh of Abraham his master, and sware to him concerning that matter.
Gen 24:10 And the servant took ten camels of the camels of his master, and departed; for all the goods of his master were in his hand: and he arose, and went to Mesopotamia, unto the city of Nahor.
Gen 24:11 And he made his camels to kneel down without the city by a well of water at the time of the evening, even the time that women go out to draw water.
Gen 24:12 And he said, O LORD God of my master Abraham, I pray thee, send me good speed this day, and shew kindness unto my master Abraham.
Gen 24:13 Behold, I stand here by the well of water; and the daughters of the men of the city come out to draw water:
Gen 24:14 And let it come to pass, that the damsel to whom I shall say, Let down thy pitcher, I pray thee, that I may drink; and she shall say, Drink, and I will give thy camels drink also: let the same be she that thou hast appointed for thy servant Isaac; and thereby shall I know that thou hast shewed kindness unto my master.
Gen 24:15 And it came to pass, before he had done speaking, that, behold, Rebekah came out, who was born to Bethuel, son of Milcah, the wife of Nahor, Abraham's brother, with her pitcher upon her shoulder.
Gen 24:16 And the damsel was very fair to look upon, a virgin, neither had any man known her: and she went down to the well, and filled her pitcher, and came up.
Gen 24:17 And the servant ran to meet her, and said, Let me, I pray thee, drink a little water of thy pitcher.
Gen 24:18 And she said, Drink, my lord: and she hasted, and let down her pitcher upon her hand, and gave him drink.
Gen 24:19 And when she had done giving him drink, she said, I will draw water for thy camels also, until they have done drinking.
Gen 24:20 And she hasted, and emptied her pitcher into the trough, and ran again unto the well to draw water, and drew for all his camels.
Gen 24:21 And the man wondering at her held his peace, to wit whether the LORD had made his journey prosperous or not.
Gen 24:22 And it came to pass, as the camels had done drinking, that the man took a golden earring of half a shekel weight, and two bracelets for her hands of ten shekels weight of gold;
Gen 24:23 And said, Whose daughter art thou? tell me, I pray thee: is there room in thy father's house for us to lodge in?
Gen 24:24 And she said unto him, I am the daughter of Bethuel the son of Milcah, which she bare unto Nahor.
Gen 24:25 She said moreover unto him, We have both straw and provender enough, and room to lodge in.
Gen 24:26 And the man bowed down his head, and worshipped the LORD.
Gen 24:27 And he said, Blessed be the LORD God of my master Abraham, who hath not left destitute my master of his mercy and his truth: I being in the way, the LORD led me to the house of my master's brethren.
Gen 24:28 And the damsel ran, and told them of her mother's house these things.
Gen 24:29 And Rebekah had a brother, and his name was Laban: and Laban ran out unto the man, unto the well.
Gen 24:30 And it came to pass, when he saw the earring and bracelets upon his sister's hands, and when he heard the words of Rebekah his sister, saying, Thus spake the man unto me; that he came unto the man; and, behold, he stood by the camels at the well.
Gen 24:31 And he said, Come in, thou blessed of the LORD; wherefore standest thou without? for I have prepared the house, and room for the camels.
Gen 24:32 And the man came into the house: and he ungirded his camels, and gave straw and provender for the camels, and water to wash his feet, and the men's feet that were with him.
Gen 24:33 And there was set meat before him to eat: but he said, I will not eat, until I have told mine errand. And he said, Speak on.

Beware thou that thou bring not my son thither again.
only bring not my son thither again.

Twice ? for such a small statement ?

Day 48 Tuesday 6/3/14 Genesis 24:1-33 A Wife For Isaac.

"Put your hand under my thigh", I had always thought that this request was very interesting, and wondered why that was done until I studied it out. It was apparently a custom for certain ceremonies where a servant demonstrates his submission to his master. Some say it still is practiced in India. In Abraham's case perhaps it had a prophetic meaning in that the Messiah would come from the loins of Abraham."

I thought of this....
Rev 19:16 and he hath upon the garment and upon his thigh the name written, `King of kings, and Lord of lords.'

Beware thou that thou bring not my son thither again.
only bring not my son thither again.

Twice ? for such a small statement ?

small in whose eyes? here's one with THREE times repeated for HIS emphasis >
Hebrews 13:5
Amplified Bible (AMP)

5 Let your character or moral disposition be free from love of money [including greed, avarice, lust, and craving for earthly possessions] and be satisfied with your present [circumstances and with what you have]; for He [God] Himself has said, I will not in any way fail you nor give you up nor leave you without support. [I will] not, [I will] not, [I will] not in any degree leave you helpless nor forsake nor let [you] down (relax My hold on you)! [Assuredly not!]

Back