Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Bible Study WELCOME TO AN IN DEPTH STUDY OF MATTHEW'S GOSPEL.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
For the Christian, sin is in us in that it comes from the desires of the flesh, not from the fundamental (new) nature of our person, our inner man, as it did before we were born again. If a Christian is being controlled by sin it shows they are still growing up into the reality of the free person Paul says they really are in Christ. For the non-Christian, slavery to sin shows exactly that--that they are still under the control of and slavery of sin.

Paul is saying to the church, victory over sin for the Christian hinges on how you see yourself. As Christians we are not really still slaves to sin. That doesn't mean we don't sin. What it means is, simply, sin no longer has authority and control over us. If it does then one of four things is true: 1) we simply are not a Christian and, therefore, really are still slaves to sin, 2) we don't know about the reality of the Christian's power over sin, 3) we don't care about the reality of the Christian's power over sin we have, or 4) we are not well trained in the Christians's power over sin and shrink back in fear and weakness in the face of battle with sin.

For the church in general (the REAL church, not the church of the world), my money's on #4. We seem to have a very profound ignorance of how to battle with the reality of sinful desires coming from our bodies (not our new inner man). Paul seems to emphasize knowing who you really have become in Christ to defeat the sinful desires of our flesh bodies. Instead of being taught that, it seems the church has resorted to rationalizing lingering, besetting sin in the church as the answer to the struggle with sin. The hyper-grace doctrines are an example of that rationalization of continued, unrepentant sin in the 'believer'. These rationalizations are what give rise to the 'not open to discussion' about sin groups within the church eddif makes note of.
Very good post Jethro.
I would just add that what makes us be ABLE to have victory over sin is our love for Christ.

W

I would just add that what makes us be ABLE to have victory over sin is our love for Christ.
While our love for Christ is the motivating factor, it is the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit which enables a Christian to be righteous.

But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. (Rom 8:9,10).

Last edited:
March 24 2016 Matthew 19:13 - 15 The Faith Of A Child.

Matthew 19:13 "Then were there brought unto him little children, that he should put his hands on them, and pray: and the disciples rebuked them.
19:14 But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.
19:15 And he laid his hands on them, and departed thence."

Ah a Child. What a wonder they are!! I have 4 great Granddaughters. They are all under 5 years old. I love to sit in their parents home and just watch them as they interact with each other....My Granddaughter Chelsea has 2 girls, my other Granddaughter Candace has 2 girls. Both Granddaughters married very committed men who both serve the Lord in their local Church. I'm so, so very proud of how my two Children and their Children have turned out. God has blessed me beyond explanation.

I started my studies in Psychology before I was saved in 1974. Apparently, it was my dream to help people who were struggling, for as long as I can remember. When I got saved, my psychology mind wanted to know just how it happened that my professional mind (I was the owner of a Printing Co.) adopted Christianity which I had never really figured out how to obtain it, although desired it.

Before I started my formal training as a Christian Psychologist and Pastoral studies in Bible College, my understanding began to unfold as I analyzed how I became a born again Christian. I can, even today, remember my thoughts as I listened to a Baptist Preacher explain the way of Salvation. I thought, this sounds like what I have been searching for, just too professional to ask someone to help me find it.

When Pastor Bailey gave the invitation, I thought, "what have I got to loose? If this is real, it will change me, and if it's not? Nothing will happen. I remember of acting like a child, Ok, lets give it a try. So I responded to Pastor's invitation and received Christ Jesus into my heart and life. O my, what a change!!!!!!

To go along with our study today, I conscientiously made a "childlike" trusting decision. Ever since then, I understand that pretty much all faith activity, whether it's praying for the needs of someone else, a childlike attitude is necessary. We don't have a mind that can comprehend the workings of an Almighty God. His ways and thoughts are not ours, therefore there has to be an element that is beyond our psychology, to a time past when we were kids and we responded to things innocently. If it worked, great! If it didn't? So much for that idea.

Our verses today cover a normal Jewish practice of an important religious man, laying hands on and blessing children. I recall.... Genesis 48:14 ".And Israel stretched out his right hand, and laid it upon Ephraim's head, who was the younger, and his left hand upon Manasseh's head, guiding his hands wittingly; for Manasseh was the firstborn."....Joseph wanted his two Sons to be blessed as was the custom during those times.

Now we have the reaction of the Disciples. Perhaps a lot of Parents were bringing their Children to Jesus for a blessing from Jesus or a bunch of Children who knew of the importance of such a spiritual blessing were creating a big disturbance, I don't really know. The Disciples just didn't want the Master to be interrupted at this time.

Jesus calmed the situation by saying, "forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven". Now we're back to the psychology of all spiritual workings. In my words, without a child like faith, we'll never enter the Kingdom of God.

The disciples felt badly for Jesus. He was tired. People were always crowding around Him. He was always answering questions, and some of them very tricky. it must have been emotionally tiring too. He had just answered question on discipline, prayer, forgiveness, divorce, and who knows what else. Not everything was written down.

So these little children come to Him in Mathew 19:13.
They wanted to let Jesus lay His hands on them. This means that not only adults had heard of Jesus' miracles and wonderful teachings, but also the children. This means that the parents of these children encouraged them to go to Jesus for a blessing.

Unfortunately, this is no longer true. Many parents send their children to Christian studies because they have to or due to social pressures - it's the thing to do. No spirituality involved.

I enjoy teaching children about Jesus more than teaching adults. (which is not often anymore).
In verse 14a Jesus tells the apostles to leave the children alone. To let the children come to Christ. Not to HINDER them from coming to Him.

I like that word "hinder." Jesus was the best psychologist of all . He knew that if the children were not HINDERED, it would be their normal state of being to go to Him, to seek God and to want God. They will NORMALLY desire God and will welcome Him into their lives if they are not HINDERED. I like to say that every child has a God-shaped hole in them which only God can fill, and which they seek and need to have filled. Children with God are happier children.

Verse 14b. "For the Kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." NASB

Why does the kingdom of heaven belong to such as these?
Can it be any other way?

How are children --
They have parents.
They trust their parents.
They honor them.
They listen to them.
They believe them.
They follow their lead.
They're sorry when they've hurt them.
They enjoy being in good relationship with them.
They're sad when a parent is mad at them.
They hold their parents hand when in a new, strange, or dangerous place.
They LOVE their parents.

Verse 15. Jesus laid His hands on the children and blessed them.
He always did what He was suppsed to do and what He came to do.
Blessing in Italian is Benedire. It means to speak well of. Dire bene.
Jesus spoke well of these children to His Father in heaven.

Wondering

Last edited:
The best part of "Child like faith" is it is so simple. JUST BELIEVE what Jesus said. No Apologetic, Theology, Doctrine, or Dogma, Just at face value BELIEVE. The more I study the better I appreciate this truth.

Thank you Wondering for that splendid addition to the thread. You said, " They hold their parents hand when in a new, strange, or dangerous place" Isn't that the truth? That certainly shows a childlike faith. A Child just spontaneously reaches up for the hand of their Parent, and it's all right in their mind, their safe.

19:14 But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.
There are many who wonder what happens when babies and young children die. Since Christ has paid the full price for their redemption (as the Propitiation for the sins of the whole world), and since they are unable to respond to the Gospel, they enter into God's Kingdom by God's grace.

There are many who wonder what happens when babies and young children die. Since Christ has paid the full price for their redemption (as the Propitiation for the sins of the whole world), and since they are unable to respond to the Gospel, they enter into God's Kingdom by God's grace.
There is a scripture in Isiah, I believe, that says there is a time when children do not know the difference between good and evil. I don't think this means the normal good/evil as when mom or dad say no/yes, good/bad. I believe this means knowing what is good or evil because God says so, not because mom or dad, or others, say so. They have to be able to really understand sinning against a Holy God.

Matthew 18:3
And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

For to become as a child?:
To drop all my religious thoughts (religion as mans thoughts).

To have a new birth ( not as flesh and blood, but born of the spirit).
John 3:7-8

The entrance into an eternal kingdom is the main topic. The becoming as a child is the shadow or type that contains truth, and not the ultimate reality of the whole issue.

Would you have eternal life?:
Drop your flesh and be born again. Start at ground zero and be blessed of Father God / Jesus / Holy Spirit. Do not depend on father Abrahams genetics. The faith of Abraham - yes. Believe the Gospel.

Going to a genetic cloning facility to enter into our mothers womb a second time will not save us.

The reality is the word sown in men's hearts by Jesus, and not the cloning facility.

There is nothing wrong with examining children, but children hide a truth and are not the ultimate truth.

I know it seems I have been in uncle Charley's private white lightning stash to some.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

You are correct. Romans 5:13, "sin is not imputed when there is no law."

April 3rd 2016 Matthew 19:16-26 Camels, Rich Men, & Needles.

Matthew 19:16 "And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
19:18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19:19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
19:20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?
19:21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
19:22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.
19:23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
19:24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
19:25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?
19:26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible."

V.16 Mark 10:16 states that this man came "running" to Jesus. Apparently he was in urgent need of having his question answered....This man approaches Jesus and greets him with "Good Master". This was not a greeting to the Messiah, rather a respectful greeting to a man who was a great teacher.

V.17 Because this man (rich young ruler) did not recognize Jesus as Messiah, He asks why he called Him Good. Jesus said only God was good therefore stating that He, Jesus, was God. Apparently this ruler (some say a member of the 21 of the Sanhedrin. did not pick up on that.

In this verse, Jesus begins to answer the rich man's question. The answer is in....Deuteronomy 6:24 "And the LORD commanded us to do all these statutes, to fear the LORD our God, for our good always, that he might preserve us alive, as it is at this day.
6:25 And it shall be our righteousness, if we observe to do all these commandments before the LORD our God, as he hath commanded us."

This meant a perfect keeping of Moses Law. Since no man has ever or will ever keep Moses Law completely, God's Grace must enter somewhere.

Vs.18&19 Jesus mentions a few of the Commandments to set the stage...."Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."

V.20 This young man apparently had grown up with Parents who had taught him to observe God's Laws, statutes, and rules from an infant of which he had done all his young life until now. We must note that Jesus did not rebuke this young man.

V.21 With no rebuke, Jesus gives the man one more work of righteousness that would set him on course to the Kingdom, knowing full well that this young Ruler could not comply. This man would have to disinherit his family and give all his wealth away to the poor and follow Jesus like His other Disciples with nothing more than a staff and the clothes on their backs.

V.22 This very rich young ruler could not fathom being a poor Disciple of Jesus and leave his popular position and wealth. The verse that he went away sorrowful. I wonder what made him the saddest, no money? Or no public praise? Or no seat on the Sanhedrin? Or all these things?

Vs. 23&24 This instruction of Jesus the Son of God has been quoted down thru the ages as one of the most important instruction/Commands to His Disciples and to us. He also said....

Matthew 6:19 "Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
6:20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
6:21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."

O my friends, we should not follow the rich young rulers example. This life will pass away some day for all of us. Just where is our treasure? Hopefully, our faithfulness to our Savior Christ Jesus will precede us to the gates of the Kingdom and we will hear the words....
Matthew 25:21 "His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord."

Friends, I believe with all my heart that what we sacrifice in this world of self gratification, and focus our lives on the things of God, our reward is yonder, not in this life.

I'd like to give testimony to the ministry and service to my Savior Jesus that He chose for me. In the year 1976, I was a student at Glen Cove Bible College next to Rockland, Maine. My Christian service was being the Pastor of a small Baptist Church in Vienna, Maine. I had to travel about 70 miles one way to hold Sunday services.

After graduating from Bible College, I got the call to pastor the South Somerville Baptist Church in Somerville, Maine. The membership was about 25 people. Over the 5 years that I was there, it grew to about 100 members. My next call was to the First Baptist Church in Turners Falls, Massachusetts. Still a small assembly of about 40 members that grew to about 65.

After retiring from the full time pastorate due to my dying first Wife Jennie, after her death, I started the Christian Fellowship of Greenfield, MA. It grew to about 65 people from a Bible study in my home. I chose not to draw a salary from the tithes and offerings so that all monies could go back into the people's needs.

The reason I mention all this is not to "toot my own horn" but to point out that it is possible to spend one's life in service to our Master Jesus Christ rather than creating a self-serving lifestyle here in this life. My life has been passing thru this life to get to my Heavenly Home in the New Jerusalem.

My choice and call has been to small Churches and small salaries. Today, I and my Wife of 22 years live just above the poverty line. We have to be very careful of our budget. I must say that our Heavenly Father does meet our every need. Our budget is met every month with little to spare.

There are times that I'd like to replace my ageing 20 year old GMC Suburban truck but simply can't afford it. O it's tough at times, the evil one plays on my emotions wanting me to believe that I'm a looser. In the eyes of many I guess I am. My faith is set on the wonderful promises of God, that it will be worth it all. The day is coming when I'll leave this old world and go to my Fathers House where my mansion is and Jennie is already there + Mother, Dad, and Sister. My Brother Tom is not saved - yet - but I believe he will be, some day.

Some people call me poor. Let me tell you my friends. My Wife Jennie and I had two Children, Peggy and Skip. They each had 5 Children Peggy has three girls and two boys. Skip has three boys and two girls. Skips two girls each have 2 girls. All my Grandchildren are saved except one, Cameron, Chad's (who just got saved) Brother.

Poor? Ha, Ha!! NOT AT ALL. I'm an extremely rich man in Christ Jesus. My Daughter and Son are the crown of my life here on earth. They simply amaze me in their devotion and service to Master Jesus. My Grandchildren are very devoted to Jesus as well. Nicole will be a Missionary English Teacher in Japan shortly. Lydia is in a good Christian University, this is her second year.
1044898_269377609933726_2713342251703558090_n.jpg

These precious people are my Children, their mates, Grandchildren, two mates, Great Grandchildren and current Wife Debi (far right).

I could go on and on about many, many souls who have been saved because Jesus called me to serve Him all these years. I hope I haven't bored you all with my testimony, It's really the testimony of Jesus the Son of God working by His Holy Spirit thru me building up many, many treasures in Glory. My sojourn has not been easy, BUT, my reward waits for me, and I can't wait.

I love you all.

Last edited:
Matthew 19:16 "And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
The Lord Jesus Christ knew that neither this man, nor any other sinner, could earn eternal life through good works, or even through *obedience* to the Ten Commandments. While Christ inquired about the last six commandments, He implied that the first four were being violated by this rich young man since wealth was his idol. That was done by asking him to totally forsake his wealth ad possessions.

But even if wealth had not been his idol, he could not have been saved because (a) he did not see Jesus as God manifest in the flesh and (b) he did not remember that Abraham "believed God" and it was imputed to him for righteousness.

There are many in Christendom who have the mistaken notion that one can be saved by obedience to God's commandments. But that is impossible since (a) none can obey those commandments perfectly and (b) even if they could, the issue of past sins needs to be addressed. Only the blood of Christ and His robe of righteousness can save a sinner from eternal Hell.

Matthew 19:16
Asking what he should do under the law.

Ezekiel 36:25
Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.
26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

He asked under the law, but the new birth was at hand.

John the Baptist had a two fold message: repent and believe in the one who comes after me.

The man got the thing he needed to repent of, and in a short time he could receive power to witness of a new inward birth.

Idols will be gone.

eddif

The Lord Jesus Christ knew that neither this man, nor any other sinner, could earn eternal life through good works, or even through *obedience* to the Ten Commandments. While Christ inquired about the last six commandments, He implied that the first four were being violated by this rich young man since wealth was his idol. That was done by asking him to totally forsake his wealth ad possessions.

But even if wealth had not been his idol, he could not have been saved because (a) he did not see Jesus as God manifest in the flesh and (b) he did not remember that Abraham "believed God" and it was imputed to him for righteousness.

There are many in Christendom who have the mistaken notion that one can be saved by obedience to God's commandments. But that is impossible since (a) none can obey those commandments perfectly and (b) even if they could, the issue of past sins needs to be addressed. Only the blood of Christ and His robe of righteousness can save a sinner from eternal Hell.

You've got it Buddy, hit that old nail on the head. Bravo!!

The Lord Jesus Christ knew that neither this man, nor any other sinner, could earn eternal life through good works, or even through *obedience* to the Ten Commandments.
And yet those who inherit eternal life keep his commandments. Those commandments being the measure and expression of the faith that justifies all by itself.

"The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love." (Galatians 5:6 NASB italics mine)

Why didn't Jesus launch into the gospel message and explain this to him?

Why didn't Jesus launch into the gospel message and explain this to him?
Because Jesus -- being God -- saw into His soul and knew that he would not give up his idol of wealth for the love of God. But that was the test placed before him, and he failed. Many will hear the Gospel but will not turn from their sins and idols.

Because Jesus -- being God -- saw into His soul and knew that he would not give up his idol of wealth for the love of God. But that was the test placed before him, and he failed. Many will hear the Gospel but will not turn from their sins and idols.
Possibly.
One thing is sure, Jesus was not lying to the man. If one did keep all the Commandments and love his neighbor as himself he certainly would inherit eternal life. We just know that is an impossibility for fallen humans.

Another response to Jesus would have been for the man to set off and do what he said with the expectation that he would then inherit eternal life. This is/was the more usual response of a Jew to the promise of blessing:

"...Israel, pursuing a law of righteousness, did not arrive at that law. 32 Why? Because they did not pursue it by faith, but as though it were by works." (Romans 9:31-32 NASB italics in original, bold mine)

19:21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
19:22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.
What Do I Owe Jesus? We often speak of Tithes of 10%, and a gift to meet special needs. We may even get to Church AND Sunday school, or Prayer meeting and Bible study, some even go to evangelistic outreach. We may even read our Bible sometime in the week, AND read the Sunday School Lesson BEFORE Sunday School. Look at all we do for Him.

What Do I Owe Jesus? The wealth of the universe “That Debt” could not repay!

He in love, stepped from eternity and across time and was born a man. Totally GOD (second person of the Trinity, existing for all eternity, Became, Totally a man just as we are. The man had a beginning with birth, died on the cross and was rewarded and seated with God in heaven.) He lived as a man, learned a trade, taught us to know Him, and paid a debt we could not pay.
He is, He must be, my all, my all in all, life and Lord, Master and FRIEND. Lord and Master, yet wants to commune with us and be a true friend. We owe Him ALL.

The Question is not “What Do I Owe HIM?

The question should be, In that deepest private personal place of thought and hope, deep in my soul,
"What would I withhold from Him” ?

It's really the testimony of Jesus the Son of God working by His Holy Spirit thru me building up many, many treasures in Glory. My sojourn has not been easy, BUT, my reward waits for me, and I can't wait.

Your life and testimony and leadership here are a blessing to all. We are blessed to know and fellowship with you.

What Do I Owe Jesus? We often speak of Tithes of 10%, and a gift to meet special needs. We may even get to Church AND Sunday school, or Prayer meeting and Bible study, some even go to evangelistic outreach. We may even read our Bible sometime in the week, AND read the Sunday School Lesson BEFORE Sunday School. Look at all we do for Him.

What Do I Owe Jesus? The wealth of the universe “That Debt” could not repay!

He in love, stepped from eternity and across time and was born a man. Totally GOD (second person of the Trinity, existing for all eternity, Became, Totally a man just as we are. The man had a beginning with birth, died on the cross and was rewarded and seated with God in heaven.) He lived as a man, learned a trade, taught us to know Him, and paid a debt we could not pay.
He is, He must be, my all, my all in all, life and Lord, Master and FRIEND. Lord and Master, yet wants to commune with us and be a true friend. We owe Him ALL.

The Question is not “What Do I Owe HIM?

The question should be, In that deepest private personal place of thought and hope, deep in my soul,
"What would I withhold from Him” ?

Your life and testimony and leadership here are a blessing to all. We are blessed to know and fellowship with you.

Thank you, my Dear Friend and fellow Shepherd Stephen, for those kind words. O my, what words of wisdom that you have posted. Indeed, We owe Jesus the Son of God, total surrender and the sacrifice of our desires to be conformed to His will for each of us. Total surrender is a cross that we must bear. Why? Because He is worthy, worthy is the Lamb that was slain for me, yes for me....and you.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back