Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Were the disciples born-again?

Classik

The disciples were always with Christ. Were they born-again? Someone said they got born-again after HE left them. Doesn't make sense.. And there's a verse that says (those who are already with the Master don't need 'whatever' ....paraphrased). I can't remember exactly

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Where the disciples born-again?

The apostles, yes.

John 20:21-22

King James Version (KJV)

<sup class="versenum">21 </sup>Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.
<sup class="versenum">22 </sup>And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:

Last edited by a moderator:

One must remember that before Pentecost people were not indwelt by the Holy Spirit. This is part of the beauty of the promise of the abiding presence of the Holy Spirit when the Lord Jesus went back to heaven (John 14.17).

The apostles, yes.

John 20:21-22

King James Version (KJV)

<sup class="versenum">21 </sup>Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.
<sup class="versenum">22 </sup>And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:
Not quite, Deb, because despite this event, the Holy Spirit did not yet indwell them. When Jesus performed this act, He was calling the Holy Spirit to them, but not in them. This was in accordance with His message in John 15 that the "Comforter" would not come until He Himself was gone. They were "born again" when the Holy Spirit was given at Pentecost. It is only by the indwelling Spirit that the miracle of the disciples speaking (not just the 12, but all 120 or so of them in the upper room that day) was understood by the myriad nationalities in Jerusalem for the festival.

Not quite, Deb, because despite this event, the Holy Spirit did not yet indwell them. When Jesus performed this act, He was calling the Holy Spirit to them, but not in them. This was in accordance with His message in John 15 that the "Comforter" would not come until He Himself was gone. They were "born again" when the Holy Spirit was given at Pentecost. It is only by the indwelling Spirit that the miracle of the disciples speaking (not just the 12, but all 120 or so of them in the upper room that day) was understood by the myriad nationalities in Jerusalem for the festival.
Hard to argue against this. :thumbsup

John 3:4-7 "Nicodemus *said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born, can he?” 5 Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7 Do not be amazed that I said to you, ‘You must be born again."

Jesus was admonishing Nicodemus here for not knowing what being born again was. This was something he should have known being a teacher of the law. If no one could enter the kingdom of God as Jesus made very clear unless they were born of water and Spirit, did everybody up till this point believing in God, only to be in vain as there was none of the Holy Spirit for them?

Psalm 51:10-11 "11 Do not cast me away from Your presence And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me. 12 Restore to me the joy of Your salvation And sustain me with a willing spirit."

David knew after his sin of murder that his salvation was jeopardized and pleading for the Holy Spirit to remain in him. As Jesus taught one must be born agin having the Holy Spirit in them. David knew this, hence the pleading for his salvation and the Holy Spirit be returned to him.

:dunno :shrug :confused If they weren't born-gain what were they??? Where they living under the OT bornagainism law (commandment)???

As i believe it to be, one is not truly BORN AGAIN, BORN of THE SPIRIT, until one is resurrected into their own GLORIFED BODY. Have you not read of the resurrection of the dead (ICOR15:42-44)? It is sown in corruption(you die); it is raised in incorruption (you are resurrected): it is sown in dishonor; it is raised in GLORY (THE LIKENESS of the LORD (EZ1:26-28)): it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power: it is sown a natural body; it is raised a SPIRITUAL BODY. There is a natural body, and there is a SPIRITUAL BODY. Does this not sound like a rebirth to you, even the greatest to behold?

So, in answer to your qestion about the Apostles: No, they were not, and still are not BORN AGAIN.

One must remember that before Pentecost people were not indwelt by the Holy Spirit. This is part of the beauty of the promise of the abiding presence of the Holy Spirit when the Lord Jesus went back to heaven (John 14.17).

I would encourage you to re-phrase your answer.

And Pharaoh said to his servants, "Can we find such a one as this, a man in whom is the Spirit of God?" Genesis 41:38

And the Lord said to Moses: "Take Joshua the son of Nun with you, a man in whom is the Spirit, and lay your hand on him; Numbers 27:18

There is a man in your kingdom in whom is the Spirit of the Holy God. Daniel 5:11

Of this salvation the prophets have inquired and searched carefully, who prophesied of the grace that would come to you,searching what, or what manner of time, the Spirit of Christ who was in them was indicating when He testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ and the glories that would follow. 1 Peter 1:10-11

JLB

And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.

This would be The Spirit of life in Christ Jesus. Romans 8:2

JLB

:dunno :shrug :confused If they weren't born-gain what were they??? Where they living under the OT bornagainism law (commandment)???
Until the Holy Spirit indwelled them, they were living under grace by virtue of Jesus' teaching. He protected them with power from on high, knowing they had to accomplish a great deal for Him and the kingdom in the short span of years most of them had left.

John 3:5 says by water and by Spirit. In my understanding of the word water here it doesn't mean actual water as in John's baptism for repentance as John said he must decrease and Jesus increase. Jesus was now that living water (word) who now had the power and authority to forgive sin. When Jesus was actually water baptized by John it was for the fulfillment of Gods righteousness in Him as Jesus received Gods power and authority at that time.There is nowhere in scripture that says the 12 Disciples or even Paul was water baptized, but only baptized in Christ by the word for repentance and then received the Holy Spirit before they could start their journeys.

Acts 1
1 The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach,

2 Until the day in which he was taken up, after that he through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto the apostles whom he had chosen:

3 To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God:

4 And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me.

5 For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

6 When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?

7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.

8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

John 3:5 says by water and by Spirit. In my understanding of the word water here it doesn't mean actual water as in John's baptism for repentance as John said he must decrease and Jesus increase. Jesus was now that living water (word) who now had the power and authority to forgive sin.
Amen! This passage actually looks forward into John, into chapter four, when Jesus is speaking with the woman at the well in Samaria.

Amen! This passage actually looks forward into John, into chapter four, when Jesus is speaking with the woman at the well in Samaria.

Yes it does and it says they only believed by the word of Jesus.

John 4:
37 And herein is that saying true, One soweth, and another reapeth.

38 I sent you to reap that whereon ye bestowed no labour: other men laboured, and ye are entered into their labours.

39 And many of the Samaritans of that city believed on him for the saying of the woman, which testified, He told me all that ever I did.

40 So when the Samaritans were come unto him, they besought him that he would tarry with them: and he abode there two days.

41 And many more believed because of his own word;

42 And said unto the woman, Now we believe, not because of thy saying: for we have heard him ourselves, and know that this is indeed the Christ, the Saviour of the world.

Jesus developed His theology of "born again" with his disciples in tow. They became born again in the modern sense of the term when they left all they had and followed him....all the way to Calvary.

Jesus developed His theology of "born again" with his disciples in tow. They became born again in the modern sense of the term when they left all they had and followed him....all the way to Calvary.

Strictly, speaking, after Pentecost, when the Holy Spirit came to abide with Christians, this is when the tern born again takes on its church age application.

Back