Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Whacking Your Child

The words you guys are using be warned people (as I do) are going to find them offensive such as "wacking" and/or "hitting" because of the mental image. When I wear about "wacking a child" I inpicture someone back handing their child across the room, and when I hear about "hitting a child" I see someone just straight hitting their child weather it be across the face, on the head or wherever. A spankin is a spankin, it is a open handed slap on the behind which is the only thing acceptable by law these days. Anything else is child abuse. I have even talked to police about it since I am a young mother and originnally I was against spanking my child, but once I found out that wasn't illegal I have been spanking.

The words you guys are using be warned people (as I do) are going to find them offensive such as "wacking" and/or "hitting" because of the mental image. When I wear about "wacking a child" I inpicture someone back handing their child across the room, and when I hear about "hitting a child" I see someone just straight hitting their child weather it be across the face, on the head or wherever. A spankin is a spankin, it is a open handed slap on the behind which is the only thing acceptable by law these days. Anything else is child abuse. I have even talked to police about it since I am a young mother and originnally I was against spanking my child, but once I found out that wasn't illegal I have been spanking.
Secular law does not know anything. If you love your child you are not going to abuse them, you are supposed to raise your kids the way the Bible tells you to not the way secular man tells you to. You really need to look at the book of Proverbs.
Proverbs 13:24 (King James Version)
<sup class="versenum" id="en-KJV-16772">24</sup>He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.
Proverbs 19:18 (King James Version)<sup class="versenum" id="en-KJV-16944">
18</sup>Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying.

So if you don't correct the child you hate him. Please read the article below it is a must read for any Christian with children and grand children.

Question: "How should Christians discipline their children? What does the Bible say?"

Answer:
How to best discipline children can be difficult task to learn, but it is crucially important. Some claim that physical discipline (corporal punishment) such as spanking is the only method the Bible supports. Others insist that “time-outs” and other punishments that do not involve physical discipline are far more effective. What does the Bible say? The Bible teaches that physical discipline is appropriate, beneficial, and necessary.

Do not misunderstand—we are by no means advocating child abuse. A child should never be disciplined physically to the extent that it causes actual physical damage. According to the Bible, though, the appropriate and restrained physical discipline of children is a good thing and contributes to the well-being and correct upbringing of the child.

Many Scriptures do in fact promote physical discipline. “Don't fail to correct your children. They won't die if you spank them. Physical discipline may well save them from death” (Proverbs 23:13-14; see also 13:24; 22:15; 20:30). The Bible strongly stresses the importance of discipline; it is something we must all have in order to be productive people, and it is much more easily learned when we are young. Children who are not disciplined often grow up rebellious, have no respect for authority, and as a result find it difficult to willingly obey and follow God. God Himself uses discipline to correct us and lead us down the right path and to encourage repentance for our wrong actions (Psalm 94:12; Proverbs 1:7; 6:23; 12:1; 13:1; 15:5; Isaiah 38:16; Hebrews 12:9).

In order to apply discipline correctly and according to biblical principles, parents must be familiar with the scriptural advice regarding discipline. The book of Proverbs contains plentiful wisdom regarding the rearing of children, such as, “The rod of correction imparts wisdom, but a child left to himself disgraces his mother” (Proverbs 29:15). This verse outlines the consequences of not disciplining a child—the parents are disgraced. Of course, discipline must have as its goal the good of the child and must never be used to justify the abuse and mistreatment of children. Never should it be used to vent anger or frustration.

Discipline is used to correct and train people to go in the right way. “No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it” (Hebrews 12:11). God's discipline is loving, as should it be between parent and child. Physical discipline should never be used to cause lasting physical harm or pain. Physical punishment should always be followed immediately by comforting the child with assurance that he/she is loved. These moments are the perfect time to teach a child that God disciplines us because He loves us and that, as parents, we do the same for our children.

Can other forms of discipline, such as “time-outs,” be used instead of physical discipline? Some parents find that their children do not respond well to physical discipline. Some parents find that “time-outs,” grounding, and/or taking something away from the children is more effective in encouraging behavioral change. If that is indeed the case, by all means, a parent should employ the methods that best produce the needed behavioral change. While the Bible undeniably advocates physical discipline, the Bible is more concerned with the goal of building godly character than it is in the precise method used to produce that goal.

Making this issue even more difficult is the fact that governments are beginning to classify all manner of physical discipline as child abuse. Many parents do not spank their children for fear of being reported to the government and risk having their children taken away. What should parents do if a government has made physical discipline of children illegal? According to Romans 13:1-7, parents should submit to the government. A government should never contradict God’s Word, and physical discipline is, biblically speaking, in the best interest of children. However, keeping children in families in which they will at least receive some discipline is far better than losing children to the “care” of the government.

In Ephesians 6:4, fathers are told not to exasperate their children. Instead, they are to bring them up in God’s ways. Raising a child in the “training and instruction of the Lord” includes restrained, corrective, and, yes, loving physical discipline.
How should Christians discipline their children? What does the Bible say?

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was raising Jason, I had to whack him with a Louisville Slugger baseball bat, because he was out of control. ;):p:lol:):D:yes

Please tell me you're not serious. Lots of smiley's but I'd like to be sure.
Yes I am Mike, I would throw the bat all the way from Philly to Florida, and it would catch him in the back of the head every time. :):D:p:lol:yes:);)

Yes I am Mike, I would throw the bat all the way from Philly to Florida, and it would catch him in the back of the head every time. :):D:p:lol:yes:);)

lewis had me when he was in his early teens then since i am 38 in a couple of weeks.lol

dem bats hurt.

i wasnt expecting that here, what did i do this time?

I'm not a a parent. So, I'm not really qualified. I have a close friend who is a mother of two well-behaved children. She is "viciously" opposed to corporal punishment. (She's a Christian by the way, though a liberal one.) Anyway, she gets quite annoyed when family tries to tell her, "you gotta hit your kids once in a while" and she responds, "then explain to me why my kids are behaving and yours are rotten brats?"

Time will tell.

To turn one's nose up at what God instructs for us as parents as if what He asks of us is beneath us and is abhorrent is pride.
That is sin.

I've not had to hit my kids. Maybe I'm lucky, but my girls have never had a behavior issue that has lead me to smack them. I'm not saying they don't have issues at times that need to be dealt with, nor I'm I saying that spanking is wrong for say, but I don't believe in it personally. I've just always been able to talk to them and use time out quite well. They have never had an issue misbehaving in school, church, or any public setting.

I did spank my oldest once when she was two. About broke my heart. I'm pretty soft hearted when it comes to my girls and if it sounds like I'm bragging, well I am. I can't imagine Jesus striking a child, can you? No I don't think so. Of course he would have the power to kill them and raise them back; perhaps let them peer into hell, that would teach them....but seriously. I imagine Jesus would be a pretty calm and patient father. He is. I think he would take the time to teach a child with love, patience, understanding and just talking.

Anyway that's my approach to discipline with my girls and it works just great, or maybe I just have great kids, but I like to thin I have something to do with it.

For those who use spanking as a means to an end for disciplining children and that works for you, fine. But, to say time out does not work or that Christians are buying into some sort of liberal form of disciplining their children, you might want to examine that notion a little more.

The bible does not state that children should be whipped, nor does it say they should not for say. I don;t think using the bible to justify corporal punishment for a child is a good idea.....................so bring on your verses. lets have them.

I will post this one more time.

Secular law does not know anything. If you love your child you are not going to abuse them, you are supposed to raise your kids the way the Bible tells you to not the way secular man tells you to. You really need to look at the book of Proverbs.
<sup class="versenum" id="en-KJV-16772">24</sup>He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.
18</sup>Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying.

So if you don't correct the child you hate him. Please read the article below it is a must read for any Christian with children and grand children.

Question: "How should Christians discipline their children? What does the Bible say?"

Answer:
How to best discipline children can be difficult task to learn, but it is crucially important. Some claim that physical discipline (corporal punishment) such as spanking is the only method the Bible supports. Others insist that “time-outs†and other punishments that do not involve physical discipline are far more effective. What does the Bible say? The Bible teaches that physical discipline is appropriate, beneficial, and necessary.

Do not misunderstand—we are by no means advocating child abuse. A child should never be disciplined physically to the extent that it causes actual physical damage. According to the Bible, though, the appropriate and restrained physical discipline of children is a good thing and contributes to the well-being and correct upbringing of the child.

Many Scriptures do in fact promote physical discipline. “Don't fail to correct your children. They won't die if you spank them. Physical discipline may well save them from death†(Proverbs 23:13-14; see also 13:24; 22:15; 20:30). The Bible strongly stresses the importance of discipline; it is something we must all have in order to be productive people, and it is much more easily learned when we are young. Children who are not disciplined often grow up rebellious, have no respect for authority, and as a result find it difficult to willingly obey and follow God. God Himself uses discipline to correct us and lead us down the right path and to encourage repentance for our wrong actions (Psalm 94:12; Proverbs 1:7; 6:23; 12:1; 13:1; 15:5; Isaiah 38:16; Hebrews 12:9).

In order to apply discipline correctly and according to biblical principles, parents must be familiar with the scriptural advice regarding discipline. The book of Proverbs contains plentiful wisdom regarding the rearing of children, such as, “The rod of correction imparts wisdom, but a child left to himself disgraces his mother†(Proverbs 29:15). This verse outlines the consequences of not disciplining a child—the parents are disgraced. Of course, discipline must have as its goal the good of the child and must never be used to justify the abuse and mistreatment of children. Never should it be used to vent anger or frustration.

Discipline is used to correct and train people to go in the right way. “No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it†(Hebrews 12:11). God's discipline is loving, as should it be between parent and child. Physical discipline should never be used to cause lasting physical harm or pain. Physical punishment should always be followed immediately by comforting the child with assurance that he/she is loved. These moments are the perfect time to teach a child that God disciplines us because He loves us and that, as parents, we do the same for our children.

Can other forms of discipline, such as “time-outs,†be used instead of physical discipline? Some parents find that their children do not respond well to physical discipline. Some parents find that “time-outs,†grounding, and/or taking something away from the children is more effective in encouraging behavioral change. If that is indeed the case, by all means, a parent should employ the methods that best produce the needed behavioral change. While the Bible undeniably advocates physical discipline, the Bible is more concerned with the goal of building godly character than it is in the precise method used to produce that goal.

Making this issue even more difficult is the fact that governments are beginning to classify all manner of physical discipline as child abuse. Many parents do not spank their children for fear of being reported to the government and risk having their children taken away. What should parents do if a government has made physical discipline of children illegal? According to Romans 13:1-7, parents should submit to the government. A government should never contradict God’s Word, and physical discipline is, biblically speaking, in the best interest of children. However, keeping children in families in which they will at least receive some discipline is far better than losing children to the “care†of the government.

In Ephesians 6:4, fathers are told not to exasperate their children. Instead, they are to bring them up in God’s ways. Raising a child in the “training and instruction of the Lord†includes restrained, corrective, and, yes, loving physical discipline.

Lewis W~

Excellentpost.gif

I will post this one more time.

Answer:
How to best discipline children can be difficult task to learn, but it is crucially important. Some claim that physical discipline (corporal punishment) such as spanking is the only method the Bible supports. Others insist that “time-outs†and other punishments that do not involve physical discipline are far more effective. What does the Bible say? The Bible teaches that physical discipline is appropriate, beneficial, and necessary.

Many Scriptures do in fact promote physical discipline. “Don't fail to correct your children. They won't die if you spank them. Physical discipline may well save them from death†(Proverbs 23:13-14; see also 13:24; 22:15; 20:30). The Bible strongly stresses the importance of discipline; it is something we must all have in order to be productive people, and it is much more easily learned when we are young. Children who are not disciplined often grow up rebellious, have no respect for authority, and as a result find it difficult to willingly obey and follow God. God Himself uses discipline to correct us and lead us down the right path and to encourage repentance for our wrong actions (Psalm 94:12; Proverbs 1:7; 6:23; 12:1; 13:1; 15:5; Isaiah 38:16; Hebrews 12:9).

In order to apply discipline correctly and according to biblical principles, parents must be familiar with the scriptural advice regarding discipline. The book of Proverbs contains plentiful wisdom regarding the rearing of children, such as, “The rod of correction imparts wisdom, but a child left to himself disgraces his mother†(Proverbs 29:15). This verse outlines the consequences of not disciplining a child—the parents are disgraced. Of course, discipline must have as its goal the good of the child and must never be used to justify the abuse and mistreatment of children. Never should it be used to vent anger or frustration.

Discipline is used to correct and train people to go in the right way. “No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it†(Hebrews 12:11). God's discipline is loving, as should it be between parent and child. Physical discipline should never be used to cause lasting physical harm or pain. Physical punishment should always be followed immediately by comforting the child with assurance that he/she is loved. These moments are the perfect time to teach a child that God disciplines us because He loves us and that, as parents, we do the same for our children.

Can other forms of discipline, such as “time-outs,†be used instead of physical discipline? Some parents find that their children do not respond well to physical discipline. Some parents find that “time-outs,†grounding, and/or taking something away from the children is more effective in encouraging behavioral change. If that is indeed the case, by all means, a parent should employ the methods that best produce the needed behavioral change. While the Bible undeniably advocates physical discipline, the Bible is more concerned with the goal of building godly character than it is in the precise method used to produce that goal.

Making this issue even more difficult is the fact that governments are beginning to classify all manner of physical discipline as child abuse. Many parents do not spank their children for fear of being reported to the government and risk having their children taken away. What should parents do if a government has made physical discipline of children illegal? According to Romans 13:1-7, parents should submit to the government. A government should never contradict God’s Word, and physical discipline is, biblically speaking, in the best interest of children. However, keeping children in families in which they will at least receive some discipline is far better than losing children to the “care†of the government.

In Ephesians 6:4, fathers are told not to exasperate their children. Instead, they are to bring them up in God’s ways. Raising a child in the “training and instruction of the Lord†includes restrained, corrective, and, yes, loving physical discipline.

Very good, but what does this have to do with "Whacking", Smacking, hitting, beating (In love of cores) and spanking....VS....not hitting when it comes to disciplining a child? Nothing really. The two verses quoted are not addressing hitting or not hitting. I urge folks to read those verses carefully. They are simply talking about disciplining.

However, I realize the secular world might say you should not hit your child. I don't agree with that either, but I also don't agree that we are called to physically hit children to discipline them.

I alway loose friends on this conversation. I disagree with Christians who say we are to hit our children and use the bible to try and justify that where it is largely silent....just as much as I disagree with the secular world that says we are to never hit.

I prefer to not hit and it works just fine for me. I would not say to anyone not to spank their child, but spanking, I feel is a slippery slope, and that's a point made by people like Dr Phil (not a fan of him personally) Although I think they take it to an extreme and often paint Christians as barbaric in this way. On the same note, it's not fair or even correct to paint the secular world as weak for choosing not to practice spanking.

On the one hand we have a parents love and on the other hand we have a parents abuse. Both methods of disciplining a child could result in either.

Danus Wrote
]Very good, but what does this have to do with "Whacking", Smacking, hitting, beating (In love of cores) and spanking....VS....not hitting when it comes to disciplining a child? Nothing really. The two verses quoted are not addressing hitting or not hitting. I urge folks to read those verses carefully. They are simply talking about disciplining.

However, I realize the secular world might say you should not hit your child. I don't agree with that either, but I also don't agree that we are called to physically hit children to discipline them.

I alway loose friends on this conversation. I disagree with Christians who say we are to hit our children and use the bible to try and justify that where it is largely silent....just as much as I disagree with the secular world that says we are to never hit.

I prefer to not hit and it works just fine for me. I would not say to anyone not to spank their child, but spanking, I feel is a slippery slope, and that's a point made by people like Dr Phil (not a fan of him personally) Although I think they take it to an extreme and often paint Christians as barbaric in this way. On the same note, it's not fair or even correct to paint the secular world as weak for choosing not to practice spanking.

On the one hand we have a parents love and on the other hand we have a parents abuse. Both methods of disciplining a child could result in either.
It has everything to do with it.

Back