Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

What Are You Cooking ?

Hey AirDancer the guys over there wear skirts weird :lol

That would all depend upon one's perspective. It really is something to see a muscular Scot wearing a kilt while tossing a caber.

In days of yore, their kilts weren't just a 'skirt' ... there was enough yardage of the plaid to have a long length to throw over the shoulder & secured by a thick belt. If the men were going to be away from home for the night, they were able to unbelt the plaid & use it as a blanket. Very practical.

our son got married in a kilt his bride folded if folded is the right word... strong muscular legs...broad shoulders to hold the throw over part... i like them...

Guess we should be talking about Scottish food... :) DO Scotts eat brownies ?

Scotland is one of the most beautiful places on the planet, Scotland's country sides is just fantastic.

Yes, Scots eat brownies (the chocolate treat) ...but they historically have avoided brownies (fairies/elves).

Their chocolate (& white chocolate) is very tasty!

Thinking of Scotts brought to mind plaids ... which reminded me of a cake i made for Grandpa, Decorated it with plaid frosting... about 55 years ago.. using string dipped in food coloring on white frosting..

our son got married in a kilt his bride folded if folded is the right word... strong muscular legs...broad shoulders to hold the throw over part... i like them...

Guess we should be talking about Scottish food... :) DO Scotts eat brownies ?

Scotts eat haggis. Here's a recipe for you to try:

Ingredients.

1 sheep’s pluck. i.e. the animals heart, liver, and lights (lungs).
Cold water.
1 sheep’s stomach (empty).
1lb lightly toasted pinhead oatmeal (medium or coarse oatmeal).
1-2 tablespoons salt.
1 level tablespoon freshly ground black pepper.
1 tablespoon freshly ground allspice.
1 level tablespoon of mixed herbs.
8oz finely chopped suet.
4 large onions, finely chopped.
(lemon juice (or a good vinegar) is sometimes added as well as other flavourings such as cayenne pepper)

Directions

Wash the stomach in cold water until it is thoroughly clean and then soak it in cold salted water for about 8-10 hours.

Place the pluck in a large pot and cover with cold water. The windpipe ought to be hung over the side of the pot with a container beneath it in order to collect any drips. Gently simmer the pluck for approximately 2 hours or until it is tender and then leave the pluck to cool.

Finely chop or mince the pluck meat and then mix it with the oatmeal. Add about half a pint of the liquor in which the pluck was cooked (or use a good stock). Add the seasonings, suet and onions, ensuring everything is well mixed.

Fill the stomach with the mixture, leaving enough room for the oatmeal to expand into. Press out the air and then sew up the haggis. Prick the haggis a few times with a fine needle. Place the haggis it in boiling water and simmer for approximately 3 hours.

The TOG​

Scotts eat haggis. Here's a recipe for you to try:

Ingredients.

Cold water.
1 sheep’s stomach (empty).
1lb lightly toasted pinhead oatmeal (medium or coarse oatmeal).
1-2 tablespoons salt.
1 level tablespoon freshly ground black pepper.
1 tablespoon freshly ground allspice.
1 level tablespoon of mixed herbs.
8oz finely chopped suet.
4 large onions, finely chopped.
(lemon juice (or a good vinegar) is sometimes added as well as other flavourings such as cayenne pepper)

Directions

Wash the stomach in cold water until it is thoroughly clean and then soak it in cold salted water for about 8-10 hours.

Place the pluck in a large pot and cover with cold water. The windpipe ought to be hung over the side of the pot with a container beneath it in order to collect any drips. Gently simmer the pluck for approximately 2 hours or until it is tender and then leave the pluck to cool.

Finely chop or mince the pluck meat and then mix it with the oatmeal. Add about half a pint of the liquor in which the pluck was cooked (or use a good stock). Add the seasonings, suet and onions, ensuring everything is well mixed.

Fill the stomach with the mixture, leaving enough room for the oatmeal to expand into. Press out the air and then sew up the haggis. Prick the haggis a few times with a fine needle. Place the haggis it in boiling water and simmer for approximately 3 hours.

The TOG​
View attachment 5084
View attachment 5083

TOG said
Cold water.

Tog when you say lights, do you mean the eyes ?

Last edited:
TOG said
Cold water.

Tog when you say lights, do you mean the eyes ?

I just copied and pasted that from a site I found. It said:

so I imagine that the lights are lungs. But if you want to replace the lungs with an equal amount of eyes, then that's probably okay. Let us know how it turns out.

The TOG​

Here's the blood sausage recipe I promised:

2 litres sheep's blood
1 litre water
50 g coarse salt
1 kilo rye flour
200 g flour
400 g oatmeal
2 - 2 1/2 kilos sheep's suet

Cut sheep's stomachs into 4 or 5 pieces and sew them with cotton string to make bags, leaving a hole in one end to stuff. Cut the suet into 1/4" or smaller pieces, depending on personal preference. Mix everything together and stuff the stomach pieces about half full and sew them shut. drop them in salted boiling water, and allow to boil for 2 to 2.5 hours. You can prick holes in the stomachs if they look like they're going to burst. If you want to get really traditional, make about 5 or 10 times that amount. Put it in a huge pot and stir everything together with your bare arms. That's what my grandmother used to do.

Can be served either hot, cold, fried or pickled. Remove the stomachs before serving and either discard them or eat them with the sausage.

The TOG​

TOG, have you tasted that ?

I've tried the blood pudding, but not the haggis. I don't eat it any more, since it's about as far from kosher as you can ever hope to get, but when I did, I liked it best sliced and fried and sprinkled with sugar (preferably brown sugar). I've also tried picked ram's testicles, which are pretty bland, and fermented shark which is far from bland. I like the shark, if it's not too strong, but even the "mild" shark I can only eat a few bites at a time.

One other thing I've tried is fermented skate, which is easily the vilest stuff I've ever tasted. It's a tradition in many homes to eat fermented skate on the day before Christmas Eve. That tradition started in an interesting way. Advent is supposed to be a fast, during which people repent and prepare their hearts for the coming of Christ at Christmas. During the fast, people wouldn't eat any good normal food, such as meat, but only fish and vegetables. The day before Christmas Eve is the last day of the fast, and on that day they would purposely eat the worst food they could find, and fermented skate fit the bill perfectly.

The TOG​

lol.

haggis. I thought that was the hagfish.

Have you ever caught a gefilte fish? Here's an explanation on how to catch them that I found on a Jewish site:

Many times I have been upset by people who seem to think that gefilte fish issome kind of mixture you make in the kitchen rather than one of Hashem's creatures. This has led me to explain exactly what a gefilte fish is. So once again, here goes.

Each year as soon as the frost on the Great Gefilte Lakes (located Upstate New York somewhere in the Catskill Mountains) is thin enough to break the surface, Frum fishermen set out to "catch" gefilte fish. Now unlike your normal fish, gefilte fish cannot be caught with a rod and a reel or your standard bait. The art of catching gefilte fish was handed down for hundreds, maybe thousands of years. For all I know Moses used to go gefilte fish catching. I'm sure that the Great Rambam (Maimonides) when he wasn't busy playing doctor, spent his leisure time G/F fishing. Enough already, you say, so how is it done? Well you go up to the edge of lake with some Matzoh. Now this is very important!! It has to be Shmurah Matzoh or the fish will not be attracted. You stand at the edge of the lake and whistle and say "here boy," "here boy." The fish just can't resist the smell of the Matzoh. They come en masse to the edge of the lake where they jump into the jars and are bottled on the spot.

Again you must remember that there are two kinds of gefilte fish. The strong and the weak. The weak are your standard fish which are in a loose "broth" (it is actually the lake water). Now the strong are special. They seem to be in a "jell". These fish are actually imported from the Middle East where they are caught in the Dead Sea. They have to be strong to be able to swim through that "jell".

Last year, a well meaning gentleman tried to correct me by stating, "Reb, shouldn't they be saying 'Here Boychic!'" I didn't have the heart to tell him, Boychic is a Yiddish word and Gefilte Fish don't understand Yiddish! Only Hebrew and surprisingly, English! There has been a big debate as to whether to use the Hebrew or English in the US. With a big break from tradition, shockingly the English is accepted by almost all G/F fishermen. Some still insist on using the Hebrew and consider the use of "Here Boy" as Reform and not Halachicly acceptable. However the Congress of OU Rabbis (who have to be present at the lakes when the fish are bottled) uniformly accept "here boy"!

The time of the catch is very important! The fish cannot be caught before Purim is over or the fish are considered Chametz! Besides, the fish know when Pesach is coming and will not respond to the Matzoh before the proper time. I am still a little bothered by which end of the fish is the head and which the tail (not to mention that I am not sure where their eyes are). This is a small price to pay for the luxury of eating this delicacy.

Have you ever had the baby G/F? Oy, they are so cute that I feel a little guilty eating them! Have a great Pesach and hope that the Matzoh doesn't affect you like Pepto Bismol or worse yet, prunes!
Source

The TOG​

Back