Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What are You Trusting in for Your Salvation?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
The only thing that counts for anything under the New Covenant is faith, mainly faith in Christ and his Gospel. Works and obedience don't count for much or Jesus would not have said, "Many will say to me in that day (judgment day) Lord, Lord, have we not preached in your name, and in your name cast out devils? and in your name done many wonderful works, and then I will say unto them, I never knew you: depart from me you that work iniquity" Matthew 7:22-23. This apparently is a group of people that thought that their works or their obedience would save them. Jesus said to them, "I never knew you." The reason that Jesus never knew them is because they had never called upon him to save them, Romans 10:13. Instead, they were trusting in their religion and in their good works and in their obedience to the law to save them.

Faith is what Christianity is all about, "Without faith it is impossible to please him" Hebrews 11:6. In the book of Hebrews, the whole 11th chapter is about faith, 40 scriptures about faith. Paul said, "So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God" (which is the Gospel) Romans 10:17. The greatest love that you can show someone is to have faith in them. This is why faith comes by hearing and believing the Gospel. We hear what Jesus did to save us and how he endured the cross to save us, and we believe and have faith in him, it is then that God gives us his Holy Spirit and we become born again, 1 Peter 1:23.

Some believe that they can receive the Holy Spirit by their works and their obedience to the law, while others believe that the Holy Spirit is imposed upon them (Calvinist). Neither one is correct. Paul said, "This only would I learn of you. Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law (because you did something) or by the hearing of faith" (hearing and believing the Gospel) Galatians 3:2. There is something about the words of the Gospel entering our ears and our heart that melts our hearts and brings us to Christ. On the day of Pentecost 8,000 Jews were saved when Peter preached Jesus Christ to them, Acts 2:41 also Acts 4:4. It was the preaching of the Gospel that gave birth to the New Testament church. It was after Pentecost that the apostles went everywhere preaching Jesus Christ, Acts 8:4.

Jesus Christ and His church and the sacraments He instituted for the salvation of men! Matt 28:19 Jn 14:6 thanks

Jesus desacratized his church so that salvation is now by faith alone, because it is by Christ alone.
A promise from God is a sacred oath and that is a sacrament
Lk 1:72
Lk 24:49
Acts 1:4
Acts 2:33
Acts 2:38-39
Rom 1:2

“Faith alone” cannot be ministered unto you.

Jn 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God

2 pet 1: 11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Thanks

Jesus desacratized his church so that salvation is now by faith alone, because it is by Christ alone.

Jesus Christ founded the new covenant church for the salvation of all men! (Jn 1:16-17) Christ is the truth! (Jn 14:6) Christ and his church are one!
(Acts 9:4 eph 4:4 eph 5:32)
The church is the pillar of truth
(1 Tim 3:15) that must teach all men (Matt 28:19) without error guided by the Holy Spirit
(Jn 16:13)

Thru the grace of God in the sanctification of souls applied in the seven sacraments!

Christ established the sacraments as the primary means of grace!

Sacramental life: Jn 1:16 And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace. Jn 10:10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Christ founded the church for the salvation of souls!
Teach and sanctify all men unto eternal salvation!
Matt 28:19

Jesus Christ “did not” establish a church and send the Holy Spirit to cos spiritual blindness, anarchy, and chaos!
Having changed the spirit of truth into a spirit of error, and the one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church the bride of Christ into a harlot of 30,000 sects .
Thanks

Are you aware the ONLY place in Scripture where the words "faith alone" appear are a condemnation of it?
James was a Judaizer. A Judaizer is one that believes in Jesus, but also believes that you must keep the law of Moses. The book of James was directed to law keeping Jews, not Gentile Christians, James 1:1. Paul had problems with James, Galatians 2:11-21 also Acts 15:1-21.

James was a Judaizer. A Judaizer is one that believes in Jesus, but also believes that you must keep the law of Moses. The book of James was directed to law keeping Jews, not Gentile Christians, James 1:1. Paul had problems with James, Galatians 2:11-21 also Acts 15:1-21.
Was what James wrote the inspired word of God?

Yes or no? If yes, then faith alone is explicitly condemned.

Also, what about St. Paul? Are his words the inspired word of God?

---> Of the three theological virtues of faith, hope and love, he says love is the greatest. (1 Cor 13:13)

---> Romans 8:24 "For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?"

St. Paul tells us we are saved by hope. That directly contradicts your statement that salvation is by faith alone.

---> Of the three theological virtues of faith, hope and love, he says love is the greatest. (1 Cor 13:13)

---> Romans 8:24 "For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?"

St. Paul tells us we are saved by hope. That directly contradicts your statement that salvation is by faith alone.
The book of James is questionable. Many believe that it should not have been included in the canons of the New Testament Bible. Hope and faith are closely related, Romans 8:24-25.

You must be obedient to the gospel. Being obedient infers that action is required; you must do something about it once you've heard the gospel and believed it. Belief is the 1st step which then requires faith, but that's not all that's necessary to be obedient. You must confess your belief (Romans 10:9) as did the Ethiopian eunuch. You must also repent as the Jews were told on tge day of Pentecost. And finally, you must be baptized for the remission of sins as the Jews also were told to do. Having done these things, you've fully obeyed the gospel. God's grace then saves you.

2 Thes 1:7-8

7 And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,

8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

The is where I put my trust and faith in my salvation, by having been obedient to the gospel.

You must be obedient to the gospel. Being obedient infers that action is required; you must do something about it once you've heard the gospel and believed it. Belief is the 1st step which then requires faith, but that's not all that's necessary to be obedient. You must confess your belief (Romans 10:9) as did the Ethiopian eunuch. You must also repent as the Jews were told on tge day of Pentecost. And finally, you must be baptized for the remission of sins as the Jews also were told to do. Having done these things, you've fully obeyed the gospel. God's grace then saves you.

2 Thes 1:7-8

7 And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,

8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

The is where I put my trust and faith in my salvation, by having been obedient to the gospel.
You must belong to the church of "You Must".

All that one needs to do to be saved is to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.

The book of James is questionable. Many believe that it should not have been included in the canons of the New Testament Bible.
Have you removed it from your New Testament canon?

Do you think you have the authority to do so?
Hope and faith are closely related, Romans 8:24-25.
Closely related, but not the same thing. St. Paul says we are saved by hope in Romans 8:24. That refutes the notion we are saved by faith alone.

Closely related, but not the same thing. St. Paul says we are saved by hope in Romans 8:24. That refutes the notion we are saved by faith alone.
The book of James was directed to law keeping Jews, James 1:1, not Gentile Christians. I am sure that James came into a better understanding of the Gospel and justification by faith at a later date.

Why do you who is descendant of Adam think that you can please a holy God?

The book of James was directed to law keeping Jews, James 1:1, not Gentile Christians. I am sure that James came into a better understanding of the Gospel and justification by faith at a later date.
Acts 15 and St. James' participation in the Council of Jerusalem destroys any argument that posits St. James was a Judaizer. (FYI, he condemns them.)

The Judaizers were promoting works of the law (Gal 2:16), not good works (Heb 10:24). St. James in his Epistle is promoting "good works", not "works of the law". It appears you are conflating the two. Works of the law requires circumcision and is for the Jews.

Good works are now the law of love.

Last edited:
Why do you who is descendant of Adam think that you can please a holy God?
By virtue of sending His son, He has now given all men the ability to please Him...

1 John 3:22 ---> "And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight."

Hebrews 13:16 ---> "But to do good and to communicate forget not: for with such sacrifices God is well pleased."

This is Christianity 101.

Intellectual Faith alone is an empty philosophy, religion requires love,
Covenant requires an outward sign of inward grace / baptismal regeneration:

Col 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

Jn 3:5 & 15:1-5 must have union with Christ by faith and baptism

1 cor 13:2 faith & charity
1 cor 13:13 faith hope & charity
Greatest would be faith if it were salvation by Faith alone!

So the book of James is not the inspired word of God as Luther claimed? Thanks

Don’t forget 1 cor 13:2 and Philippians 1:29

Back