Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What do I have to do to become Catholic?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Status
Not open for further replies.
But then what about this:
The Latin Vulgate Bible, translated from the original by Saint Jerome (l. 347-420), assisted by Saint Paula (l. 347-404) was considered the only true version by the Church, and translation into the vernacular, in any country, was forbidden. Even before the Reformation began in 1517, however, European scholars had already translated the Bible into their own languages, the German translation by Martin Luther (l. 1483-1546) being only one among many. The proto-reformer John Wycliffe (l. 1330-1384) had translated the Bible from the Vulgate to Middle English in c. 1380 but volumes of this work had been burned after his death.

source: https://www.worldhistory.org/William_Tyndale/

I do believe it's the same source you used for your first paragraph.
I did some "studying" (I'm not a scholar by any means) of church history some years ago and came across many statements that conflicted. It took a long time to get the history straight since I don't depend on any one source.
It seems to me that the same is happening here and there should be more study on this. On our part.

Here, this is from Wikepedia:

Partial English translations had been made from the 7th century onwards, but the religious foment caused by Wycliffe's Bible in the late 14th century led to the death penalty for anyone found guilty of unlicensed possession of an English translation of the Bible, although translations were available in all other major European languages.

I like to go with what I know for sure.
What I know for sure here is that it was discouraged that the bible be read by laymen.
I'm not sure of the dates. In some countries as recently as the 1900's.

The reason is because of the possibility of misunderstanding scripture and the problems it would cause.
I never understood it till I began to study the bible myself.
Just our difference in what day to worship seems to confirm that, perhaps, the church was not wrong.

I think I addressed this above.
Yes, we used the same source.
Great minds think alike!
Great minds? You are too kind! If you're ever in New Orleans, I'm springing for a blackened redfish platter for ya.

I guess the real question is, Did the church approve of any translations other than Latin from the Greek, Aramaic, and Hebrew?

Great minds? You are too kind! If you're ever in New Orleans, I'm springing for a blackened redfish platter for ya.

I guess the real question is, Did the church approve of any translations other than Latin from the Greek, Aramaic, and Hebrew?
We know they approved of English.
Will try to find out more.

The OP was answered in post #3.
Since then it has deteriorated into catholic bashing and petty arguments so I'm closing the thread.

If anyone has an issue they still want answers to then please start a new thread stating your point clearly and with evidence to back up any claims.
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back