Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What do I have to do to become Catholic?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Sunday is our MARK of authority. The church is above the Bible, and this transference of Sabbath observance is proof of that fact." - Catholic Record​

Can I ask how long it is that you've been familiarizing yourself with catholicism?

Comments by a journalist in a newspaper do not trump officially approved statements by the Catholic Church.

Can I remind you of the difference between fact and opinion?

I'm presenting facts - not opinions - and provided a quote from pope Innocent III himself.

Can I remind you it's against TOS to falsely accuse members?
You gave no quote from a Pope.

So the Pope has authority above...the Bible?
Catholicism claims that's the case:

"Sunday is our mark of authority. The Church is above the Bible, and this transference of Sabbath observance is proof of that fact". - Catholic Record

"I have repeatedly offered $1,000 to anyone who can prove to me from the Bible alone that I am bound to keep Sunday holy. There is no such law in the Bible. It is a law of the holy Catholic Church alone. The Bible says, 'Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy.' The Catholic Church says: 'No. By my divine power I abolish the Sabbath day and command you to keep holy the first day of the week.' And lo! The entire civilized world bows down in a reverent obedience to the command of the holy Catholic Church." -
T. Enright, C.S.S.R., Feb. 18,1884.

Comments by a journalist in a newspaper do not trump officially approved statements by the Catholic Church.
The catholic church views the Bible in the same way God-hating, leftist bureaucrats view the U.S. Constitution: they claim it is the ultimate authority in the land, but turn right around and claim it's a "living" document subject to their interpretation and modification, which renders them, not it, the ultimate authority, not matter what they claim.

Likewise, the official position of the catholic church is that "the Magisterium is not superior to the word of God, but its servant". How, then, can that be the case if the Magisterium is able to define, determine, and interpret the Scripture in the first place? Moreover, the Magisterium seems to “discover” doctrines that are not consistent with the original meaning of Scripture itself—e.g,, the immaculate conception, purgatory, papal infallibility and the like. Thus, despite these declarations from Rome, residual concerns remain about whether the Magisterium functionally has authority over the Scriptures.

God is the only authority. What you are saying is BLASPHEMY!
In case you're interested, here's a short article of mine. I'm known for preaching the shortest sermons in my church, so I can promise that's the case. ;)

Is that the opinion of the CC forever...or just until the Pope overrules it?
Are you here for a serious conversation or just to kid around?

I asked you twice already, once on this thread, what YOUR denomination is.
You don't have to reply of course,
but the fact that you don't is pretty convincing of your reason to be here....
just to stir trouble.
Please do not flame.

"Sunday is our MARK of authority. The church is above the Bible, and this transference of Sabbath observance is proof of that fact." - The Catholic Record

BTW, I fully respect the catholic church's position. Catholic leaders believe they've been granted a Godly commission to operate as they do, and - though I fully disagree - applaud many catholics, especially those connected with charity work, for doing what they believe is God's work.

It's modern day "Protestantism" that disgusts me...they've taken the grand, glorious, God-ordained Protestant Reformation Movement and turned it into a weak, loathsome, ecumenical shell of its former self. It shouts, "Sola Scriptura", yet can't find a single verse authorizing the setting aside of 7th day Sabbath and the sanctification of Sunday, to which the quote above from the Catholic Record is a rebuke and an embarrassment.
It's difficult for me to write to you Phoneman.
I don't understand your position.
Are you a SDA?
Are you a reformed believer?

I'm a little confused about the Sabbath.
I'm told that the CC didn't change the Sabbath.
I'm not sure what this means since it seems to me that if the CC wants to say THEY are the first church,
then, by necessity, it was them that changed it.

I'm told that changing the worship day from Saturday to Sunday is NOT changing the Sabbath.
I don't quite get that.

However, even though I'm not Catholic, I can assure you that I do know Catholic doctrine and what they espouse.
I'm speaking to modern day Catholicism.
If you want to go back to the dark ages, then I don't get the reason for it and I'm not really willing to discuss, plus I probably agree with you about those days.

I can't say that I respect all of their positions. I think some are wrong and even damaging to some persons.
But I can also state emphatically, that Protestants get a lot wrong about the CC.

This bothers me as much as when Catholics get Protestantism wrong.

just to stir trouble.
Please do not flame.
Please don't question the reputation of members on this site.
It is a very poor look for you.
Treat others with respect and dignity.
Thank you.

Can I remind you of the difference between fact and opinion?

I'm presenting facts - not opinions - and provided a quote from pope Innocent III himself. Facts in and of themselves are benign - neither negative or positive.

Also, here's a link to an earlier post detailing the same sentiments:

No TOS violations to be found in my posts, friend.
I think you and Mungo are addressing 2 different "problems".

Mungo is discussing the TRANSLATION of the bible into native tongues.
You're discussing the prohibition of even owning a bible.

Funny thing is: You're both right.

But, gosh, let's not go back to Pope Innocent and the 1100's !!
We have enough problems for the day.

Last edited:
Catholicism claims that's the case:

"Sunday is our mark of authority. The Church is above the Bible, and this transference of Sabbath observance is proof of that fact". - Catholic Record

"I have repeatedly offered $1,000 to anyone who can prove to me from the Bible alone that I am bound to keep Sunday holy. There is no such law in the Bible. It is a law of the holy Catholic Church alone. The Bible says, 'Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy.' The Catholic Church says: 'No. By my divine power I abolish the Sabbath day and command you to keep holy the first day of the week.' And lo! The entire civilized world bows down in a reverent obedience to the command of the holy Catholic Church." -
T. Enright, C.S.S.R., Feb. 18,1884.
Sunday was being worshipped as the Holy Day while the Apostles were still alive.
I said Holy Day because I'm not sure of the difference between CHANGING the Sabbath and ABOLISHING the Sabbath, as I've stated in my previous post to you. In fact, if you know the difference, I'd like you to pass it on.

So if the Apostles were worshipping on Sunday to honor the Lord's Resurrection,
how could the CC claim to have made the change?

Please don't question the reputation of members on this site.
It is a very poor look for you.
Treat others with respect and dignity.
Thank you.
Please do not interfere if I wish to give someone a friendly reminder/advice.
The above was not for you.

The catholic church views the Bible in the same way God-hating, leftist bureaucrats view the U.S. Constitution: they claim it is the ultimate authority in the land, but turn right around and claim it's a "living" document subject to their interpretation and modification, which renders them, not it, the ultimate authority, not matter what they claim.

Likewise, the official position of the catholic church is that "the Magisterium is not superior to the word of God, but its servant". How, then, can that be the case if the Magisterium is able to define, determine, and interpret the Scripture in the first place? Moreover, the Magisterium seems to “discover” doctrines that are not consistent with the original meaning of Scripture itself—e.g,, the immaculate conception, purgatory, papal infallibility and the like. Thus, despite these declarations from Rome, residual concerns remain about whether the Magisterium functionally has authority over the Scriptures.
Interesting.
Wish I had more time.
Maybe if you bump this, I'll get to it tomorrow morning.

Please do not interfere if I wish to give someone a friendly reminder/advice.
The above was not for you.
I saw someone picking on an innocent and I had to do what I had to do.
If you see a bully what is your response?
This is an open forum... You should be aware that anyone can respond to anything at anytime.
If you had a remark that was private... take it to a private chat.
This should be basic knowledge.

just to stir trouble.
Please do not flame.
I'm Katholik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back