Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

What does it mean for the Christian to stumble?

And who defines those moral laws that are written upon those hearts? Many might say that the moral law of not discriminating against one another for any reason has been written upon their hearts, and the results of this moral law that was written upon theirs heart has been the acceptance of same sex marriage.

God defines them as they are His laws as the moral laws are written in our heart. Jesus said if we break even one we have broken them all as the greatest law is love and if we are not walking in love that helps guide us through the moral laws then are transgressing the law, Matthew 5:17; 22:36-40; 1John 3:4

God discriminates against all sin as sin is sin and all judged on the same level, but yet he that transgresses the law does not have the truth found in them nor is allowing love to be perfected in them as they are not walking even as Christ walked, 1John 2:1-5.

This is what Joseph Price and many other Pastors do as they skirt around the issue of homosexuality as not to offend them that attend their church, but teach that Gods grace has already forgiven them as the blood of Christ has already washed away their sin and have no need of repentance.
JP, doesn't not teach any such thing. That is absolute nonsense as the article below supports. NCC, questions the salvation of active homosexuals and says that homosexual behaviors in the church can cause others to stumble.
Here is an article written by a supporter of homosexuals condemning Prince's church, NCC, because of their condemnation towards homosexuals.
http://www.psa91.com/dramancc.htm
I don't find this article any less creditable then the article you posted that actually contained SOME misinformation or maybe deliberate misinformation. I know because I have JP's books that the author was supposedly getting his information from.

Because JP does not rant and rave, in a church service, about homosexuality in particular, and only preaches against all sexual immorality, we are to assume that he is soft on it? Really? I don't hear Paul doing that either. He is hard on all sexual immorality ie. the man bedding his father's wife. I don't remember Jesus ever mentioning homosexuality explicitly but He is adamant about sexual immorality, even in our thoughts. JP did a sermon based on Paul's words....Should we keep on sinning that grace should abound? Heaven forbid!

I respect Dr. Michael Brown very much and he has questions that he wants to ask Joseph Prince in order to discuss some of JP's teachings. Here are the questions and I would be interested in JP's answers to some of those questions, as well.
http://www.charismanews.com/opinion...47995-some-honest-questions-for-joseph-prince

Should a Pastor or anyone who holds the truth teach what Leviticus 18:22; 20:10-31 and Romans 1:18-32 or any of the scriptures that Jesus taught about repenting without hyper grace teachers calling us legalistic as the Mosaic laws are dead since we are under a new covenant of God.
Sorry I didn't address this part of your post.
My answer is no, of coarse not.
I haven't personally heard anyone say that in order to receive salvation one doesn't need to change their mind and turn to God. Neither have I personally heard anyone say that if a believer sins that they don't need to change their mind and turn to God.
It is my understanding that is what God wants and when we do this we are obeying God.
"Should we keep on sinning that grace should abound? Heaven forbid!"

JP, doesn't not teach any such thing. That is absolute nonsense as the article below supports. NCC, questions the salvation of active homosexuals and says that homosexual behaviors in the church can cause others to stumble.
Here is an article written by a supporter of homosexuals condemning Prince's church, NCC, because of their condemnation towards homosexuals.
http://www.psa91.com/dramancc.htm
I don't find this article any less creditable then the article you posted that actually contained SOME misinformation or maybe deliberate misinformation. I know because I have JP's books that the author was supposedly getting his information from.

Because JP does not rant and rave, in a church service, about homosexuality in particular, and only preaches against all sexual immorality, we are to assume that he is soft on it? Really? I don't hear Paul doing that either. He is hard on all sexual immorality ie. the man bedding his father's wife. I don't remember Jesus ever mentioning homosexuality explicitly but He is adamant about sexual immorality, even in our thoughts. JP did a sermon based on Paul's words....Should we keep on sinning that grace should abound? Heaven forbid!

I respect Dr. Michael Brown very much and he has questions that he wants to ask Joseph Prince in order to discuss some of JP's teachings. Here are the questions and I would be interested in JP's answers to some of those questions, as well.
http://www.charismanews.com/opinion...47995-some-honest-questions-for-joseph-prince

I already saw that charisma news site and these are questions he would like to have JP reply to and I for one would love to hear his hyper grace answers.

All I am going to say on this whole issue is that hyper grace teaching that teaches us we do not need to repent of our sins for the blood of Jesus has already covered them as our past, present and future sin is already forgiven and no need to confess any sin and that we can denounce Christ, but yet are still saved is teaching a different doctrine as it comes against the doctrine of Christ Jesus for what He has already taught us on repentance.

Sorry I didn't address this part of your post.
My answer is no, of coarse not.
I haven't personally heard anyone say that in order to receive salvation one doesn't need to change their mind and turn to God. Neither have I personally heard anyone say that if a believer sins that they don't need to change their mind and turn to God.
It is my understanding that is what God wants and when we do this we are obeying God.
"Should we keep on sinning that grace should abound? Heaven forbid!"

This is what hyper grace teaches that we do not have to repent of our sins and that even if we renounce Christ or the Holy Spirit we are still saved because the blood of Jesus already covers our sin past, present and future and if we do not believe this then we are called legalistic as we follow the commandments of God which hyper grace believes the commandments are not within the new covenant of grace and we should throw them out the window.

which hyper grace believes the commandments are not within the new covenant of grace and we should throw them out the window.
If there are grace preachers saying that morality should be thrown out the window, they are certainly teaching heresy. I haven't heard that either. But seeing there seems to be a big problem with people thinking they are a new creation in Christ but that they will not be changed by this, then someone must be teaching this heresy.

If there are grace preachers saying that morality should be thrown out the window, they are certainly teaching heresy. I haven't heard that either. But seeing there seems to be a big problem with people thinking they are a new creation in Christ but that they will not be changed by this, then someone must be teaching this heresy.

All is heresy if it does not line up with what God has already given in His word. Heresies can be sneaky if we are caught off guard and not rightly dividing the word of God

Ok, that's fair.

The Strongs doesn't give much to work with, and I suspect the modern meaning may have evolved since those days, as I'm sure Paul, who warned us about these last days and the many false doctrines that we would encounter, didn't have specific knowledge of each and every one, but more of a general knowledge that...in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons,2 speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron, 1 Timothy 4:1-2

By contextual definition, a doctrine that causes someone to depart from the faith, which is the point of this thread that Jethro started, and is about false doctrine that causes folks to stumble, which as you can see from the many post's, means among other things, to fall away, or depart from Christ; ie: fall into deception.

The OSAS doctrine teaches that a person needs no longer, to continue to have faith in Christ, to remain saved.

The Holy Spirit says... Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, 1 Timothy 4:1

A teaching that causes a person to depart from the faith, is a doctrine of demons, that comes from deceiving spirits, and not the Spirit of Christ.

That would be a good start as to what heresy is.

To be honest, just because a person says that another is teaching heresy, does not necessarily mean they are indeed teaching heresy.

I hope as to the consequences, you can see what that is from Galatians 5:19-21

19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery,fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
Galatians 5:19-21

Do you understand this phrase, as to what "will not inherit the kingdom of God" means?

In addition, Paul associates heresy with sorcery, sexual immorality.

Here is another place Paul uses this phrase.

9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. 1 Corinthians 6:9-10

fornicators
idolaters
adulterers
homosexuals
sodomites

These are among those who will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Those Christians who repent and turn from these things, will be forgiven by our merciful Savior, but those who continue to practice these things, and die unrepentant of these things, will not inherit the kingdom of God.

JLB
Thank you very much for taking the respond to my question.

This is something I want to understand and settle in my heart.

2 Peter 2:1-3
3. The Danger of False Teachers (2:1-22)
But there were also false prophets in Israel, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will cleverly teach destructive heresies and even deny the Master who bought them. In this way, they will bring sudden destruction on themselves. Many will follow their evil teaching and shameful immorality. And because of these teachers, the way of truth will be slandered. In their greed they will make up clever lies to get hold of your money. But God condemned them long ago, and their destruction will not be delayed.

I further understand that heresies can cause church division.

1 Corinthians 11:19
But, of course, there must be divisions among you so that you who have God’s approval will be recognized!

So my understanding of what you are saying is that heresy is something that a person will teach that causes someone to depart from the faith, basically something that denies the teachings of Jesus and even Jesus himself and given one the feeling that they can do what they want and still be saved.

Looking at the verses in 2 Peter it seems that people who teach destructive heresies do so for a reason. They know what they are doing and are doing for a reason. They do it for personal gain, to get our hard earned cash.

So looking at the verse in 1 Cor it can seem that heresy can cause a division/schism in the church.

So if we may let's look at OSAS you mention above, that it teaches that you no longer need to continue to have faith in Jesus and to remain saved. That you obviously see as false doctrine that causes someone to fall away from true saving faith. Now this teaching has caused division/schism in the church.

I am a OSAS always saved person. However I am not a person who would teach it based on your arguements against it. I've heard someone say to me "It's ok I can sleep with my girlfriend and God will forgive me" And they never gave it a second thought about their actions and consequences. I was absolutely mortified, firstly and selfishly because during the period I back slid I slept around and I felt so much guilt for doing so, I was devasted I did it, I was really struggling because I had no excuse and I knew I had let God down, why could I not feel like he did, he slept with his girlfriend and would go to church the following day and praise God and thank him for forgiveness. Secondly because I knew his attitude was wrong.

So you and I have differing opinions (or so it seems to OSAS) and we could argue with each other quoting scripture till we are blue in the face. BUT I WOULD NEVER EVER PREACH now that you have prayed the words "I beleive in you Jesus forgive my sins" now you have prayed those words you are in heaven no matter what.

If such a person were to continue in such a state I would pull them aside and say "Jesus did not die for you so you could live an immoral lifestyle, do what you want, he paid a price for you and he wants to change you he wants a relationship with you, he wants your to conform his image in you and show it to the world. If they still continued such a lifestyle with no regard then I would question their faith and tell them so.

I would however make a distinction between someone who struggles with a sin trait and hates it because they know it's not what God wants, or struggles with a work based mentality to please God and other things. I do genuinely think that the birthing process of those who profess a faith in Jesus has been negated by today's church. It's a case of now your in and it's added to our numbers.

So to you am I a heretic? I have nothing personally to gain from this. I'm not after their money.

I suppose you could ask me the same question but I would say no. I know you love Jesus and want people to have a genuine saving relationship with him and continue it even though they struggle with stuff.

We all need correction when something we beleive detracts from Jesus, even Paul confronted Peter.

So what I'm trying to say is that we have difference of opinion that causes division but we both bring it back to Jesus and his teachings it's not heresy. Can such a thing happen?

So what I'm trying to say is that we have difference of opinion that causes division but we both bring it back to Jesus and his teachings it's not heresy. Can such a thing happen?

Yes there are many on here who don't agree with each other over scriptures and their meaning that are not necessarily foundational teaching of the Apostles, or the doctrine of Christ.

So my understanding of what you are saying is that heresy is something that a person will teach that causes someone to depart from the faith, basically something that denies the teachings of Jesus and even Jesus himself and given one the feeling that they can do what they want and still be saved.

Or that the resurrection is past. Which today is called Preterism.

14 Remind them of these things, charging them before the Lord not to strive about words to no profit, to the ruin of the hearers. 15 Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 16 But shun profane and idle babblings, for they will increase to more ungodliness. 17 And their message will spread like cancer. Hymenaeus and Philetus are of this sort, 18 who have strayed concerning the truth, saying that the resurrection is already past; and they overthrow the faith of some.19 Nevertheless the solid foundation of God stands, having this seal: “The Lord knows those who are His,” and, “Let everyone who names the name of Christ depart from iniquity.” 2 Timothy 2:14-19

So if we may let's look at OSAS you mention above, that it teaches that you no longer need to continue to have faith in Jesus and to remain saved. That you obviously see as false doctrine that causes someone to fall away from true saving faith. Now this teaching has caused division/schism in the church.

I am a OSAS always saved person. However I am not a person who would teach it based on your arguements against it. I've heard someone say to me "It's ok I can sleep with my girlfriend and God will forgive me" And they never gave it a second thought about their actions and consequences. I was absolutely mortified, firstly and selfishly because during the period I back slid I slept around and I felt so much guilt for doing so, I was devasted I did it, I was really struggling because I had no excuse and I knew I had let God down, why could I not feel like he did, he slept with his girlfriend and would go to church the following day and praise God and thank him for forgiveness. Secondly because I knew his attitude was wrong.

So you and I have differing opinions (or so it seems to OSAS) and we could argue with each other quoting scripture till we are blue in the face. BUT I WOULD NEVER EVER PREACH now that you have prayed the words "I believe in you Jesus forgive my sins" now you have prayed those words you are in heaven no matter what.

Thanks for sharing your beliefs with me, as I see you are sincere, and you seem to be open to discuss these things.

I'm glad you would never teach someone, just because they said a prayer to the Lord for forgiveness, that they are free to live a life of sin.

Could we discuss something that Jesus said?

It comes from Matthew 18, a parable with a very real warning at the end.

I'm going to post the whole thing, so as to not leave out anything, so please forgive me if it seems a little long.

21 Then Peter came to Him and said, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?”

22 Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven. 23 Therefore the kingdom of heaven is like a certain king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants. 24 And when he had begun to settle accounts, one was brought to him who owed him ten thousand talents. 25 But as he was not able to pay, his master commanded that he be sold, with his wife and children and all that he had, and that payment be made. 26 The servant therefore fell down before him, saying, ‘Master, have patience with me, and I will pay you all.’ 27 Then the master of that servant was moved with compassion, released him, and forgave him the debt.

28 “But that servant went out and found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred denarii; and he laid hands on him and took him by the throat, saying, ‘Pay me what you owe!’ 29 So his fellow servant fell down at his feet and begged him, saying, ‘Have patience with me, and I will pay you all.’30 And he would not, but went and threw him into prison till he should pay the debt. 31 So when his fellow servants saw what had been done, they were very grieved, and came and told their master all that had been done. 32 Then his master, after he had called him, said to him, ‘You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you begged me. 33 Should you not also have had compassion on your fellow servant, just as I had pity on you?’ 34 And his master was angry, and delivered him to the torturers until he should pay all that was due to him.

35 “So My heavenly Father also will do to you if each of you, from his heart, does not forgive his brother his trespasses.”
Matthew 18:21-35

Then his master, after he had called him, said to him, ‘You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you begged me. Should you not also have had compassion on your fellow servant, just as I had pity on you?’ And his master was angry, and delivered him to the torturers until he should pay all that was due to him.
So My heavenly Father also will do to you if each of you, from his heart, does not forgive his brother his trespasses.”

Can you see that the gift of forgiveness, that was obtained by the unjust servant, that kept him from the punishment, was taken back and the unjust servant who refused to forgive his fellow man the way he was forgiven, did in fact have to suffer the punishment that he at one time had avoided?

JLB

Greetings Free,

Maybe your right, translating back into Hebrew is not the thing to do... but consider my process first, which was not explained....

Ro 11:29 For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance "ametameletos"

The word under question is not the other words, but ametameletos....(a Greek word)

From Strongs, this word is a compound word...

and a presumed derivative of 3338;

So this yields See Greek 3338 (metamellomai).... this Greek word does have many verses of context, whereas the other compound word doesn't...

Heb 7:21 (For those priests were made without an oath; but this with an oath by him that said unto him, The Lord sware and will not repent "metamellomai", Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec:)

And from this Greek word in the NT, quoting the OT, I then get the Hebrew word from the OT.... and you have the rest of my procedure....
Firstly, it is a presumed derivative. Secondly, it is not the same word. It is an exegetical fallacy to argue to root words and such. We have Greek manuscripts so we only need to look to the Greek. There is absolutely no reason to try and translate into Hebrew or Aramaic.

Now you question, why do this.... well for one thing the NT is a book following the OT, so the OT context is a Father of the Bible while the NT is the Son of Scriptures...so the Hebrew language came first in our Scriptures, and later the Jews spoke Greek, which according to Joesphus Jews never were allowed to speak Greek...so finding the meaning of the Greek word with a Hebrew flavour makes sense...rather than looking up the Greek meaning in a Greek cultural perspective.... Greek thinking and Hebrew thinking are very different...
And a significant portion of the NT was written for Greek audiences, so why would those books have been written in Hebrew? Is it not much more likely that Jews would speak Greek, not the other way around? It seems that quite some time before the NT was written, many Jews had lost the ability to read and speak Hebrew, hence the need for the LXX.

http://www.biblica.com/en-us/bible/bible-faqs/in-what-language-was-the-bible-first-written/

http://orvillejenkins.com/languages/aramaicprimacy.html

It's a pity you think the evidence was weak...

(1) Hebrew word puns exist in the NT, not Greek word puns....that's reason enough
Actually, this is one of the weakest arguments because it simply isn't true.

http://www.oocities.org/prbryan.geo/wordplay.htm

http://www.jerusalemperspective.com/2718/

(2) Dozens of words in Greek are words spelled the same as Hebrew words - letter by letter...for example in 2Cor 11:33 Paul was led down the wall in a basket
The normal greek word for basket is spuris.... but the Greek word used is sargane from the Hebrew word sarag
And yet spuris is used five times and kophinos six times, whereas sargane is used only once. Not to mention that the second letter to the Corinthians was written to, well, the church in Corinth, a Greek city. Would it not be exceedingly strange for Paul to write in Hebrew to a Greek speaking church? I find it very unlikely that they spoke Hebrew.

(3) Poetry exists and only makes sense when translated back into Hebrew...in the NT Greek there is not poetry
This is not true either: http://www.biblestudytools.com/encyclopedias/isbe/poetry-new-testament.html

(4) Some words in the Greek NT are quoting Hebrew, a primacy Greek would not do that if Greek was spoken, obviously Hebrew or Aramaic was spoken
This simply is fallacious. Given that a significant number of letters in the NT were written to churches in Greek cities, don't you think it makes the most sense that they were written in Greek, not only because it would have been the native language but also because they likely didn't speak Hebrew? Would it not then also make sense to write the rest of the NT books in Greek so that all could understand them, Greek and Jew alike?

(5) Typos exist in the Greek, dozens of them, but all corrected if translated back into the Hebrew...
This is a highly dubious claim.

The entire notion of all of these arguments revolves around some believers evil being better than another believers. It's quite ridiculous.

Paul taught with regards to sin that our sin, lesser as it may be depending on who is doing the measuring, is no better than anyone else's.

Romans 3:9
What then? are we better than they? No, in no wise
: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin;

This alone should permanently set aside any debates about who's the better (least) sinner.

Then we can look at how Paul measured himself:

1 Timothy 1:15
This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

Not was, am. That shows Paul's fact about his own sin.

Paul sets out the measure, of the only thing that counts regarding faith. If there is a measure of any sinner/believer, it will only be this:

Galatians 5:6
For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

Perhaps rather than figuring out "how" to vainly, futility dodge the fact that we are sinners, we should be keeping a different scorecard?

1 Peter 4:8
Above all, love each other deeply
, because love covers over a multitude of sins.

Believers say, IF there is no record of sins THEN I can do what I want. The fact that believers "want" to sin serves to prove they are and remain sinners, even if it doesn't show up on the outside.

No persons evil present is better than anyone else. At least on this ground if people want to be "equal" there it is equal. Equally evil. Romans 7:21.

Paul never tried to make his evil present disappear, cover it up, justify it. It simply can't be done. What can and does happen is that evil present can turn any believer into a hypocrite at the drop of a hat. That's how powerfully deceiving evil present IS. And no amount of repentance or forgiveness exercises/rituals make evil present be gone or evaporate.

There's an old Christian saying about sinners falling deeper into the sin/evil ditch that goes like this: "There but for the Grace of God go I."

That statement is made in the recognition of what we all contend and wrestle with, internally. We can lose that match very easily from many directions. One of those losses is by lying about the fact of evil present with us. Another is hypocrisy, thinking it's not true, that evil is present with us. Another is thinking that evil doesn't come from within, and defile us regardless.

When Jesus said evil comes from evil thoughts, which defile us, it was not a maybe.

Matt. 5:28, Matt. 15:19-20 and Mark 7:21-23

The lesson of the religious hypocrite and the "justified publican" are abundantly clear from Luke 18. God is not in the habit of entertaining religious liars who don't think they are sinners because of their check list of Godly in their mind actions.

God does justify an honest sinner who knows there is no escape of the obvious and his very real needs of Gods Mercy.

13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

There is no more of a humbling experience than to know and understand that evil is present with(in) us. And that we can't dodge the obvious.

Every honest person in this thread will know this is true. So how much "better" are we? ZERO. Even in honesty we still have evil present with us, that defiles us. But at least we can be honest about it and not put ourselves on any false high horses, and thereby lose the game of LIFE to evil, hypocrisy and lies.

Honest hearts that can take on the fact of their own evil present are more apt to produce good fruit. I might think of it as spiritual fertilizer that springs up the fruit of honesty. What did the vine dresser of the master call for when the tree did not produce fruit? More DUNG! Luke 13:9

There are O.T. scriptures that reference taking root downward and bearing fruit upward. What we find in the roots is our own darkness planting, with fertilizer. From there springs up honesty and hope. It's a beautiful thing, as any common flower knows by experience.

We are a planting of our Lord.
Not only is there darkness beneath the surface, in the ground called our flesh, there are weeds that spring up from that same ground.

Flowers get plucked, fruit gets harvested, weeds get burned. And even good trees get pruned, and their dead, unproductive, unprofitable branches, burned.

Appreciate your life as a plant. It only lasts a short time.

1 Peter 1:
23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
24 For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away:
25 But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

So if we may let's look at OSAS you mention above, that it teaches that you no longer need to continue to have faith in Jesus and to remain saved.
Allow me to point out that this is the hyper-grace version of OSAS.
The traditional OSAS teaching has been that the once saved always saved person shows that by his life of faith and endurance. Which is a whole 'nuther can of worms, but let's not go there. :lol

At least traditional OSAS has believers living in faithful obedience to God, or else they're not really saved.

Last edited:
The entire notion of all of these arguments revolves around some believers evil being better than another believers. It's quite ridiculous.

Paul taught with regards to sin that our sin, lesser as it may be depending on who is doing the measuring, is no better than anyone else's.

Romans 3:9
What then? are we better than they? No, in no wise
: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin;

This alone should permanently set aside any debates about who's the better (least) sinner.

Then we can look at how Paul measured himself:

1 Timothy 1:15
This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

Not was, am. That shows Paul's fact about his own sin.

Paul sets out the measure, of the only thing that counts regarding faith. If there is a measure of any sinner/believer, it will only be this:

Galatians 5:6
For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

Perhaps rather than figuring out "how" to vainly, futility dodge the fact that we are sinners, we should be keeping a different scorecard?

1 Peter 4:8
Above all, love each other deeply
, because love covers over a multitude of sins.

Believers say, IF there is no record of sins THEN I can do what I want. The fact that believers "want" to sin serves to prove they are and remain sinners, even if it doesn't show up on the outside.

No persons evil present is better than anyone else. At least on this ground if people want to be "equal" there it is equal. Equally evil. Romans 7:21.

Paul never tried to make his evil present disappear, cover it up, justify it. It simply can't be done. What can and does happen is that evil present can turn any believer into a hypocrite at the drop of a hat. That's how powerfully deceiving evil present IS. And no amount of repentance or forgiveness exercises/rituals make evil present be gone or evaporate.

There's an old Christian saying about sinners falling deeper into the sin/evil ditch that goes like this: "There but for the Grace of God go I."

That statement is made in the recognition of what we all contend and wrestle with, internally. We can lose that match very easily from many directions. One of those losses is by lying about the fact of evil present with us. Another is hypocrisy, thinking it's not true, that evil is present with us. Another is thinking that evil doesn't come from within, and defile us regardless.

When Jesus said evil comes from evil thoughts, which defile us, it was not a maybe.

Matt. 5:28, Matt. 15:19-20 and Mark 7:21-23

The lesson of the religious hypocrite and the "justified publican" are abundantly clear from Luke 18. God is not in the habit of entertaining religious liars who don't think they are sinners because of their check list of Godly in their mind actions.

God does justify an honest sinner who knows there is no escape of the obvious and his very real needs of Gods Mercy.

13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

There is no more of a humbling experience than to know and understand that evil is present with(in) us. And that we can't dodge the obvious.

Every honest person in this thread will know this is true. So how much "better" are we? ZERO. Even in honesty we still have evil present with us, that defiles us. But at least we can be honest about it and not put ourselves on any false high horses, and thereby lose the game of LIFE to evil, hypocrisy and lies.

Honest hearts that can take on the fact of their own evil present are more apt to produce good fruit. I might think of it as spiritual fertilizer that springs up the fruit of honesty. What did the vine dresser of the master call for when the tree did not produce fruit? More DUNG! Luke 13:9

There are O.T. scriptures that reference taking root downward and bearing fruit upward. What we find in the roots is our own darkness planting, with fertilizer. From there springs up honesty and hope. It's a beautiful thing, as any common flower knows by experience.

We are a planting of our Lord.
Not only is there darkness beneath the surface, in the ground called our flesh, there are weeds that spring up from that same ground.

Flowers get plucked, fruit gets harvested, weeds get burned. And even good trees get pruned, and their dead, unproductive, unprofitable branches, burned.

Appreciate your life as a plant. It only lasts a short time.

1 Peter 1:
23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
24 For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away:
25 But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

The word of the Lord says....

He who sins is of the devil.
1 John 3:8

Not..,sin is of the devil.

You just decide to change the word of God, to what you want it to say.

He - who - sins - is - of - the - devil.

The person who sins, is of the devil.

JLB

If there are grace preachers saying that morality should be thrown out the window, they are certainly teaching heresy.
No, the argument is not that it should be thrown out, just that it's not necessary in order to be saved on the day of wrath. At least in the traditional view of OSAS, obedience is the sign you are really saved. That's why I personally don't consider a traditional OSAS brother or sister a false believer. At least they defend the life of righteous living.

The word of the Lord says....

He who sins is of the devil.
1 John 3:8

Not..,sin is of the devil.

You just decide to change the word of God, to what you want it to say.

He - who - sins - is - of - the - devil.

The person who sins, is of the devil.

JLB

Never used 1 John 3:8 in the post.

In any case sin/sins can be applied in plural to sin/sins in either translation.

Never used 1 John 3:8 in the post.

In any case sin/sins can be applied in plural to sin/sins in either translation.

Since you brought up the word of the Lord, I wanted to clarify what the word of the Lord says about those who sin, and also what the word of the Lord doesn't say about sin and the devil.

Sin is not the devil.

Those who sin are of the devil is what 1 John 3:8 says.

JLB

Sin is sin as none is greater than another no matter the variance of its nature as it all starts with the thoughts in our mind until it becomes actions of the heart. Just like a little white lie is still a lie in the eyes of God and all sin is punishable if it is not reconciled before Jesus who is our mediator before the Father as Jesus sits at His right hand making intercession for us. The only unforgivable sin is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Romans 8:34; Hebrews 7:11-28; Matthew 12:31-37

Proverbs 6:16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: 17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, 18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, 19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

Since you brought up the word of the Lord, I wanted to clarify what the word of the Lord says about those who sin, and also what the word of the Lord doesn't say about sin and the devil.

Maybe you can start a new thread on it so we can discuss it for the 100th time.
Sin is not the devil.

The Word says a lot about sin. One of these is that sin is demonic. So IF a believer stumbles it just might could be related to the work of the adversary, ya think?

Greetings Free,

Thank yu for the trouble of posting hyperlinks...appreciated :) I looked and studied all your links, some are scholarly some outdated...I suggest a few hours looking at Jeff Benner's Ancient Hebrew Research Center Website...to see where and why I am coming from.

http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/

But I will reply to your first post and its sentiments:

Firstly, it is a presumed derivative.
I agree, but over 90% of the spelling is the same, except for the ending bit

Secondly, it is not the same word.
I also agree

It is an exegetical fallacy to argue to root words and such.
Your saying Hebrew does not have root and child roots, that is your assumption and the most common theory of faith by most scholars, even most from my own church, However does not make them right....just confused...I suggest looking at Jefff's website for the reason they are wrong.

We have Greek manuscripts so we only need to look to the Greek.

Well if we did only that I would not know what this Greek word means....

2Co 7:10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.
Ro 11:29 For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.

OK so what does this Greek word mean ? No idea, not enough verses in the NT and not allowed to look up OT context.... two verses is not enough to make a judgement....

Ro 11:29 ametamelhta gar ta carismata kai h klhsiV tou qeou (TR)

Here is the Textus Receptus listing the word first in the sentence...

Mt 21:29 o de apokriqeiV eipen ou qelw usteron de metamelhqeiV aphlqen (TR)

Here is the presumed derivative, and the "a" means "not" to negate... but the ending of the word does suggests its different... "qeiV" is this a suffix ? I don't know...

In anyway case Free, there is not enough verses to make a judgment over the meaning of the word...

There is absolutely no reason to try and translate into Hebrew or Aramaic.

So how do you find the meaning of this word, using only Sola Scriptoria ?

Shalom

Back