Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What does it means, man was made in the Image of God?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
the Three Persons all have the same image, "One God."
The invisible image of God is not the same image of God that walked on the sea of Galilee.
You and I both are much more an invisible image than a visible one , although we are made of both.
People who looked upon Jesus's flesh had no idea they were looking at God.
People who look at your face or mine are not seeing who we really are in beyond the flesh.

Col 1:15
Who is the image of the invisible God...

Hi,
Couple quick notes.
First, I believe strongs describes image as shadow. It’s good to keep in mind the Hebrew think about their surroundings in verbs, not nouns or at the least, describe things in their proper relationship with each other.

We see this when Adam ascribing names which denotes their proper functioning place.

So when I think about “Image” in terms of the attributes of a shadow, it serves to outline that which creates it. We are a shadow of our creator and His creation.

In terms of our image, the Trinity is assumed in my theology. However, when God creates, he also empowers his creation. Trees, birds, and everything else was brought forth through Gods creation. However, with man, God personally forms him from the dust of the earth instead of simply speaking into creation to bring him forth. As a result, we cannot minimize that within “our image” would include dirt.

But it doesn’t stop there…. God breathes life into humanity. Ahh, Devine dirt clods we are! {so says the wise Jedi Master Yoda}.

And how did Jesus impart the Holy Spirit before he ascended? Ahh, that’s right. He breathed it upon them.

Take care good friend.
Greetings Mr. Stovebolts!
I used Consecrated's "logic" in an English example only to deny plural images. The Hebrew is singular.

I agree with much you said, but question the apparent inconsistency of associating "dirt" with "God", who is Spirit. Apart from that we evidently agree.

And I admit my take on "image" perhaps including the idea of a "reverse image" of God, One Person three substances, is my own. Haven't heard anyone ever suggest it.

The invisible image of God is not the same image of God that walked on the sea of Galilee.
You and I both are much more an invisible image than a visible one , although we are made of both.
People who look at your face or mine are not seeing who we really are in beyond the flesh.

I do not agree. Our physical form is not "seeing God".

No one has seen God at any time (Jn. 1:18 NKJ)

God is Spirit, but preincarnate and incarnate Christ chose the form of a human being to appear in.

Therefore, "male and female" are in the image and likeness of God, but as no one has seen God literally, this cannot be a literal physical likeness and image.

God is infinite Spirit and has no "form" or "shape" that can be imaged.

15 "Take careful heed to yourselves, for you saw no form when the LORD spoke to you at Horeb out of the midst of the fire,
16 "lest you act corruptly and make for yourselves a carved image in the form of any figure: the likeness of male or female,
17 "the likeness of any animal that is on the earth or the likeness of any winged bird that flies in the air,
18 "the likeness of anything that creeps on the ground or the likeness of any fish that is in the water beneath the earth.
19 "And take heed, lest you lift your eyes to heaven, and when you see the sun, the moon, and the stars, all the host of heaven, you feel driven to worship them and serve them, which the LORD your God has given to all the peoples under the whole heaven as a heritage. (Deut. 4:12-19 NKJ)

I never said that it was "seeing God"
I said that who you and I really are behind the flesh you present to the world , is invisible .
You cannot see another person's spirit & they cannot see your invisible spirit .
That's a yes or a no by the way .
The invisible you does not lie in the grave .
The invisible you departs your dead body the moment after you draw your last breath.
Being formed by God with a spirit has nothing to do with you being God.
Just because one component of God is invisible and one component of ourselves is invisible does not make us Almighty .
It only means that the form that God chose to give us in "our image" also contains a separate invisible component. Sinful as our invisible selves are.
The invisible God is not sinful.
No one can see our invisible spirit .
Our spirit being who you & I really are cannot be seen by looking at our face .
Just as no one knew that Christ had the Spirit of God in Him just from glancing at Him.

Greetings Mr. Stovebolts!
I used Consecrated's "logic" in an English example only to deny plural images. The Hebrew is singular.
Good to talk with you friend.
We may see things differently here, and that’s ok. Our friendship is more important to me than having to be right.

I believe “our” is plural, and has two faucets to explore.

First, the easy one. God formed humanity from the dust of the earth (1) and breathed (2) into him resulting in a living soul. Gods spirit breathed into what He formed from the dust of the earth equals “our image”. This is how I describe the term “ Devine dirt clods” lol. I first heard that term from Rob Bell before his fall and it kind of stuck lol!

I need to run, so very quickly.

The LORD our GOD is one.

Translated differently…

El (singular) Our Elohim (plural) is one (complete).

In the Hebrew, one does not necessarily denote a numeric value of 1 as two would equal its numeric value of 2. Instead, the Hebrew word for One carries the idea of completeness. Just as Jesus says the He and His Father are one.

The word God in Hebrew is Elohim which is plural. This denotes completeness and implies Trinity.

While holding these ideas in your mind, recall that Adam heard God walking in the Garden…. Just putting that out there 😀

Take care friend.

Good to talk with you friend.
We may see things differently here, and that’s ok. Our friendship is more important to me than having to be right.

I believe “our” is plural, and has two faucets to explore.

First, the easy one. God formed humanity from the dust of the earth (1) and breathed (2) into him resulting in a living soul. Gods spirit breathed into what He formed from the dust of the earth equals “our image”. This is how I describe the term “ Devine dirt clods” lol. I first heard that term from Rob Bell before his fall and it kind of stuck lol!

I need to run, so very quickly.

The LORD our GOD is one.

Translated differently…

El (singular) Our Elohim (plural) is one (complete).

In the Hebrew, one does not necessarily denote a numeric value of 1 as two would equal its numeric value of 2. Instead, the Hebrew word for One carries the idea of completeness. Just as Jesus says the He and His Father are one.

The word God in Hebrew is Elohim which is plural. This denotes completeness and implies Trinity.

While holding these ideas in your mind, recall that Adam heard God walking in the Garden…. Just putting that out there 😀

Take care friend.
Although I can't agree, its an interesting possibility. Peace brother!

Genesis 1:27
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Is mankind immortal, all powerful, all knowing, self-existing, present throughout the universe, No. So what attributes did man received when he was created? God is omnipotent, omniscient with other attributes which man does not have, and never did have. Now these characteristics only are of God, even though man was made in God's image. When man was created, he was made in the image of God in outward resemblance and in character, which would include what we consider able to discern, to know good from bad.
Hey All,

John 4:24
God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

We have a spirit. (Image)

1 Corinthians 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

13. And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

Charity is the agape love of God. (Likeness)

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

So do animals. In the passage below, it is the same Hebrew word for each.
Ecc 3:21 Who knows the spirit of the sons of men, which goes upward, and the spirit of the animal, which goes down to the earth?
The animal's spirit is not in the image of God.
Thus it, "goes down to the earth?"
Only man is given an eternal spirit .
A trillion years from now you and I will be just as conscious as we are this moment, but my dog Jack will not be.

No one has seen God at any time (Jn. 1:18 NKJ)

God is Spirit, but preincarnate and incarnate Christ chose the form of a human being to appear in.

Therefore, "male and female" are in the image and likeness of God, but as no one has seen God literally, this cannot be a literal physical likeness and image.

God is infinite Spirit and has no "form" or "shape" that can be imaged.

15 "Take careful heed to yourselves, for you saw no form when the LORD spoke to you at Horeb out of the midst of the fire,
16 "lest you act corruptly and make for yourselves a carved image in the form of any figure: the likeness of male or female,
17 "the likeness of any animal that is on the earth or the likeness of any winged bird that flies in the air,
18 "the likeness of anything that creeps on the ground or the likeness of any fish that is in the water beneath the earth.
19 "And take heed, lest you lift your eyes to heaven, and when you see the sun, the moon, and the stars, all the host of heaven, you feel driven to worship them and serve them, which the LORD your God has given to all the peoples under the whole heaven as a heritage. (Deut. 4:12-19 NKJ)
The only begotten Son of God came as a sinless human because it was a sinless human that was lost when the first human(first Adam) sinned. So the only begotten Son of God came as a sinless human to remain sinless right up, to his death. A human who was without spot or blemish(sinless) when sacrificed was what was needed to buy back what the first Adam lost. The first Adam because he sinned lost everlasting life and paradise not only for himself but for his offspring. The only thing the first Adam passed on to his offspring was sin and death. The last Adam came as a sinless human, because God had created the first human with no sin, so he first Adam was a sinless human until he sinned. The last Adam came as a sinless human right up to death. Because it was a sinless human that was sacrificed, the last Adam bought back what the first Adam lost.

Hey All,

John 4:24
God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

We have a spirit. (Image)

1 Corinthians 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

13. And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

Charity is the agape love of God. (Likeness)

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz
The image that God created man is God created mankind with God-like qualities. Mankind has qualities reflecting, those of his heavenly Maker, qualities that positively distinguish man from the animal creation. The first man, who was a perfect man and a “son of God,” had mental, moral and emotional qualities that the highest of the lower animals do not have.

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Is mankind immortal, all powerful, all knowing, self-existing, present throughout the universe, No. So what attributes did man received when he was created? God is omnipotent, omniscient with other attributes which man does not have, and never did have. Now these characteristics only are of God, even though man was made in God's image. When man was created, he was made in the image of God in outward resemblance and in character, which would include what we consider able to discern, to know good from bad.
WOW
Facing our two births:
The physical
The spiritual

Facing time and eternity:
Time in which we see the image
Eternity which we look pre time and post time.

Separating, comparing, and understanding.

It will take me several days to read and find out some of the viewpoints here.

From past experience:
I should just forget this thread, but this is my world?

Anatomy and Physiology in action?
The seed planted in the ground.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

Ok. But you don't suggest God redeemed us from Satan, as though he is owed something?

reddogs said:
Which Satan did when Adam sinned, so thus Christ says he is the 'Prince of this world' and thus the need for our redemption by Christ.
We put ourselves under Satan's dominion to say nothing of the bondage of sin and iniquity, and it took the price Christ had to pay at the cross to redeem us. This is a core Christian belief...

Hey All,
God is agape.
We are created in God's image.
We have within us the ability to agape.

God is spirit.
We have a spirit placed within us.
(I believe we get it when God breathes into us the breath of life. Genesis 2:7)
Our spirit returns to God when this earthen vessel dies.

Ecclesiastes 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Here is a hard question.
Is the spirit we have ours, God's, or some type of co-ownership?
God breathed it into us.
We are the caretakers of it until we die.
But then it returns to God.
If we took care of it well (believed in Jesus as our Savior) with our earthen vessels, we get to stay with God, and reign with Him in glory.

So if you think about it, life is just a long layover between flights.

God gave His Son so we could be made free.
We have the ability to give of ourselves to make other people's lives better.

God is always faithful, honorable, and trustworthy.
We have the capability of being faithful, honorable, and trustworthy.
We make mistakes. So we are not perfect at this.
But I dare say, most of us have a handful of people we can count on to be like this. And that same handful can count on us.

God forgives.
We have the capability to forgive.

God shows grace instead of judgement.
We have the capability to show grace.

Are you starting to see an image of God within yourself?
If we agape, if we forgive, if we show grace, if we give to others expecting nothing in return, if we are faithful, honorable, and trustworthy, we are reflecting the image of Jesus to the rest of the world.

Matthew 5:14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

So keep on shining.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Last edited:
We put ourselves under Satan's dominion to say nothing of the bondage of sin and iniquity, and it took the price Christ had to pay at the cross to redeem us. This is a core Christian belief...
I disagree. Christ's ransoms us from God's punishment, so its paid to God. The ransom makes atonement with God.

Origen developed the "ransom to satan" theory, and some early church fathers agree.

But nothing in scripture implies God is obligated to pay Satan anything.

All who confess Jesus is LORD have removed themselves from any control by Satan. He still "tempts", but can't command us.

That is a really good scripture you posted:
Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Answer: God is Spirit, and God's Spirit is "a man Spirit". God took His Spirit in the form of a man and...
God put his man Spirit inside of the male.
God put his man Spirit inside of the female.

That is why often throughout the Bible God uses the word man in reference to both the male and the female genders because the Spirit image of God is a man Spirit that is also in both the males and the females whom God created.

Psalm 39:5-6
5 Behold, thou hast made my days as an handbreadth; and mine age is as nothing before thee: verily every man at his best state is altogether vanity. Selah. 6 Surely every man walketh in a vain shew: surely they are disquieted in vain: he heapeth up riches, and knoweth not who shall gather them.

That is a really good scripture you posted:
Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Answer: God is Spirit, and God's Spirit is "a man Spirit". God took His Spirit in the form of a man and...
God put his man Spirit inside of the male.
God put his man Spirit inside of the female.

That is why often throughout the Bible God uses the word man in reference to both the male and the female genders because the Spirit image of God is a man Spirit that is also in both the males and the females whom God created.

Psalm 39:5-6
5 Behold, thou hast made my days as an handbreadth; and mine age is as nothing before thee: verily every man at his best state is altogether vanity. Selah. 6 Surely every man walketh in a vain shew: surely they are disquieted in vain: he heapeth up riches, and knoweth not who shall gather them.
Imagery is; metaphysical

Jesus tells us that a seed is equal to the Word of God

The seed has written in it DNA instructions for its morphology. It has a book inside itself. The seed is not directly like God, but it lets us see information about God. The DNA is turned on as it does as a seed dies.

We by the same way have metabolic pathways that provide understanding of God. We a not like God with our body. He works iin is to will and do of his good pleasure. God gets the Glory and not us. We have to die to self.
He puts his treasures in an earthern vessel. The praise goes to God.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

Imagery is; metaphysical

Jesus tells us that a seed is equal to the Word of God

The seed has written in it DNA instructions for its morphology. It has a book inside itself. The seed is not directly like God, but it lets us see information about God. The DNA is turned on as it does as a seed dies.

We by the same way have metabolic pathways that provide understanding of God. We a not like God with our body. He works iin is to will and do of his good pleasure. God gets the Glory and not us. We have to die to self.
He puts his treasures in an earthern vessel. The praise goes to God.

Mississippi redneck
eddif
Yes, praise God Almighty, Glory Hallelujah God is good.

Back