Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study What does the Bible say about 666?

I believe it is a physical mark on the body because that is what the Bible says.If you take the Bible literally.

Nowhere in Rev 13:16 does it say a physical mark. It just says a mark either in the forehead or the hand. Again our English has different meanings for just one word.

The Bible says that nobody will be able to buy or sell without the mark. It's pretty easy to understand that if the mark is an RFID chip or some other physical mark, but how could that be accomplished if the mark is our beliefs? Will there be a mind reading machine at the checkout of every store?

The TOG​

When we see these things come to be we are instructed to flee away from the abominations to a place where we know God will take care of us as in supplying all our needs just as the woman in Rev 12:6 fled into the wilderness where God prepared her a place. The time will come when we will need to go off the grid and live off the land as God will provide shelter and food for us, but it's up to us to go gather it.

Mat 24:15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)
Mat 24:16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:
Mat 24:17 Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house:
Mat 24:18 Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes.
Mat 24:19 And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!
Mat 24:20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:
Mat 24:21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.

Rev 12:6 And the woman fled into the wilderness, where she hath a place prepared of God, that they should feed her there a thousand two hundred and threescore days.

Nowhere in Rev 13:16 does it say a physical mark. It just says a mark either in the forehead or the hand. Again our English has different meanings for just one word.
Revelation 13:16-17 16 He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads, 17
THen why does the Bible state the placement of the mark and where it will be?

Revelation 13:16-17 16 He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads, 17

My take is.....
It significance is understood by that reference in the OT. What it meant to the Jews. Thoughts and actions in simple terms, I believe.
What do you say to this JohnD ?

Christians are being murdered everyday. How are they identified as christian? How does the enemy know who to kill?

Good question. Here's another one. Are most of the Christians who are martyred arrested in the grocery store and the market or in churches and home Bible study groups? (Hint: which situation makes it easier to identify who is a Christian and who isn't?)

Kathi we are also marked by our actions and thoughts as in how others perceive us.

Yes, we are marked by our actions. But how does buying meat, potatoes, milk and paper towels mark us as Christians? How is the person working at the checkout counter going to know who's a Christian and who isn't? Is he going to ask "Did you go to church last Sunday"?

The TOG​

The mark is that of submission. In vs 16 we see Satan placing his mark on those who have followed the false prophets and false Christ that he gave power to speak that they fall into submission unaware it is Satan speaking through signs and wonders. It is those signs and wonders that will even deceive those who are yet weak in faith as they will believe the signs and wonders being that of God which will cause the great falling away mentioned in 2 Thessalonians 2:3.

Mat 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

I take the Bible literally.When the Bible says the mark will be place on the forehead or right hand there is no reason not to believe that.I think you guys are spiritualizing the Bible more.I don't do that.

Good question. Here's another one. Are most of the Christians who are martyred arrested in the grocery store and the market or in churches and home Bible study groups? (Hint: which situation makes it easier to identify who is a Christian and who isn't?)

Yes, we are marked by our actions. But how does buying meat, potatoes, milk and paper towels mark us as Christians? How is the person working at the checkout counter going to know who's a Christian and who isn't? Is he going to ask "Did you go to church last Sunday"?

The TOG​
Yes,you do make a point.

The TOG​

Do you not know that Satan knows who is of God and who is not! You need to study the first part of Rev 13 to understand the beast that rises up out of the sea and who gives him power to destroy the very elect of God.

I take the Bible literally.When the Bible says the mark will be place on the forehead or right hand there is no reason not to believe that.I think you guys are spiritualizing the Bible more.I don't do that.

Gods word is both literal, Spiritual and prophetic. You can believe whatever you want as I force no one to believe as I do. When we study we need to compare scripture with scripture, OT with NT as this is how the Holy Spirit gives us the whole of what we are studying.

Gods word is both literal, Spiritual and prophetic. You can believe whatever you want as I force no one to believe as I do. When we study we need to compare scripture with scripture, OT with NT as this is how the Holy Spirit gives us the whole of what we are studying.
Yes,it is.But when you can take anything in the Bible at all literally I believe it is meant to be taken as that.Their is some scripture especially in Revelation that can not be taken literally.

I am very glad that you do not force anyone to believe as you do because the is extremely prideful.

I believe most of the attacks come at night when the people are home sleeping.

I could be wrong of course. It happens.

The TOG​

I'm only guessing, but I believe when it gets to the point where the mark of the beast is put into place, the religion of the beast will be everywhere and in order to conduct commerce of any type, one must pay homage to the beast.

As I said, I'm only guessing.

Kathi we are also marked by our actions and thoughts as in how others perceive us.

Also it's possible to identify people who belong to a "fraternity" by their actions eg. Masons etc. No membership = no preferential treatment.

Do you not know that Satan knows who is of God and who is not!

Yes, and I also know that it's not Satan who is arresting Christians and imprisoning and killing them. The police, military forces and others are doing that. Are they under the influence of Satan? Yes, absolutely. But they can't just sense that Christians are near with their eyes closed. They depend on some outward signs do determine who is a Christian and who isn't. Most often that involves church attendance, religious gatherings or possessing Christian literature.

The TOG​

You are right. There are things in the Bible that are literal, symbolic, allegorical, poetic and historical. We have to look at the context to see what the meaning is in any given case. In this case, we see that the mark has something to do with buying and selling. Whatever it is, people will be able to tell whether or not we have the mark when we try to buy something from them or sell them something. Like I said before, this is understandable if the mark is something physical - you would be required to show the mark before conducting any transactions. But how would that be accomplished if the mark is spiritual? Saying "Satan knows" isn't an answer, because Satan isn't working at the checkout counter of every grocery store, gas station and supermarket. Can you explain how it would work?

The TOG​

The OP was hoping to keep this thread in Bible study and not have it sent to the A&T ...Curb your selves this is Bible Study.

You are welcome to open a same topic thread in another forum.
Clean up may happen... and any more post that dont seem to fit the Bible Study forum will be deleted with out farther explanation or notice. ADMIN

Recommendations and Guidelines for an effective Bible Study

Though not exhaustive, I thought it might help to better define the purpose of the Bible Study Forum, and by doing so, better assist one another with a clearer method to understanding God’s word.

Guidelines

1. Scripture is the basis of study. Stay close to the text.
2. Keep your post to a manageable length where others can respond to a section of scripture as opposed to an entire article.
3. We encourage your understanding of a text. If you wish to post snipits from a website, please make sure it accompanies your comments of the text. Excessive copy / paste from web sites are frowned upon.
4. If you disagree with an interpretation of scripture, think out your response according to the specific text and post accordingly.
5. No debating doctrines or denominational differences. (E.G. TULIP, OSAS, Purgatory, Papacy etc)

The following considerations are suggested to assist in our study of Holy Scripture. This method utilizes an instructional and comprehensive approach

1. Exegesis; Critical explanation or analysis, especially of a text. (I.E. What does the text mean?)
2. Hermeneutics; The theory and methodology of interpretation, especially of scriptural text. (I.E. How did you come to the conclusion of your Exegesis? Does it agree with the Bible as a whole?)
3. Redaction; to draw up or frame ( I.E. a statement, proclamation, etc.)

Last edited:
You are right. There are things in the Bible that are literal, symbolic, allegorical, poetic and historical. We have to look at the context to see what the meaning is in any given case. In this case, we see that the mark has something to do with buying and selling. Whatever it is, people will be able to tell whether or not we have the mark when we try to buy something from them or sell them something. Like I said before, this is understandable if the mark is something physical - you would be required to show the mark before conducting any transactions. But how would that be accomplished if the mark is spiritual? Saying "Satan knows" isn't an answer, because Satan isn't working at the checkout counter of every grocery store, gas station and supermarket. Can you explain how it would work?

The TOG​

We know that the number 666 represents man as stated in Rev 13:18. This man is the son of perdition or to put it plainly is the beast that rises up out of the sea that Satan gives power to the beast to speak, Rev 13:1, 2. I'm not going into who or what this beast is as that is another study. What I will say is that this beast will claim world domination to rule those in the world (NWO) as many will bow down to the beast to spare their own lives, but will be damned for eternity. Those who do not bow down to the beast are those who have submitted themselves to Christ that are made righteous by that of Gods righteousness found in them. Satan, through the son of perdition will persecute those who are truly of God, even to death as even now in many countries this is happening as there are many antichrist walking amongst us.

Matthew 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Luke 12:4 And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do.

1John 2:18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

1John 4:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

We know that the number 666 represents man as stated in Rev 13:18. This man is the son of perdition or to put it plainly is the beast that rises up out of the sea that Satan gives power to the beast to speak, Rev 13:1, 2. I'm not going into who or what this beast is as that is another study. What I will say is that this beast will claim world domination to rule those in the world (NWO) as many will bow down to the beast to spare their own lives, but will be damned for eternity. Those who do not bow down to the beast are those who have submitted themselves to Christ that are made righteous by that of Gods righteousness found in them. Satan, through the son of perdition will persecute those who are truly of God, even to death as even now in many countries this is happening as there are many antichrist walking amongst us.

Matthew 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Luke 12:4 And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do.

1John 2:18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

1John 4:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

You still haven't answered the question. Maybe you didn't understand what I was getting at, so let me rephrase it. Imagine that you are here during the reign of Antichrist (if you believe in a pre-trib rapture, use your imagination). You go to the grocery store to buy some food. You get to the checkout counter. Somehow, the cashier knows that you don't have the mark and refuses to sell you the food. How did he know?

The TOG​

There are 2 topics here. We should stick with the OP and start a separate thread for the "spiritual mark" discussion.

Just a thought.

Back