Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

What does the Word say about the Law of YHWH which, in reality, is the Law of Moses?

The references to 3 Macc 1:3 and Philo do not pertain to Yahweh’s laws, but to traditions and opinions. The other references are the ones in question. Thayer is giving definitions based on the Christian interpretation of those verses referring to the Law of Moses.

Thayer references Acts 16:4 and says it refers to “all the precepts of the Christian religion”??? It does no such thing. It only refers to the decrees given at the Jerusalem Council in Acts 15.

Verse 4 says the decrees were “judged by the apostles and elders” in Jerusalem. It does not say the decrees were commanded by Yahweh or the Holy Spirit. They weren’t simply the opinions of men, but were the opinion of one man, James, who received the approval of the Holy Spirit and the other apostles and elders present.

Act 15:13 And after they had held their peace, James answered, saying, Men and brethren, hearken unto me: (not “hearken unto the Holy Spirit”).

Act 15:19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God: (not “the Holy Spirit commands” or “the Lord says, not I”).

Act 15:28 For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things; (It doesn’t say “The Holy Spirit commanded” or “The Holy Spirit moved us”. After James gave his decree, the apostles and elders, as well as the Holy Spirit, thought it was a good decree. They approved it. A dogma is a man-made decree that can be good or bad. In this case it was good. In Col 2:14 & Eph 2:15, they were bad decrees. If the Holy Spirit put it on James’ heart to make that decree, it would not say “It seemed good to the Holy Spirit”. Any leading or command by the Holy Spirit is automatically good. Had the Holy Spirit given the command, verse 28 would read, “For the Holy Spirit’s command to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things seemed good to us;”​
Act 16:4 And as they were going on through the cities, they were delivering to them the decrees to keep, that have been judged by the apostles and the elders who are in Jerusalem,
Act 16:5 then, indeed, were the assemblies established in the faith, and were abounding in number every day;
So you don't believe that they were Spirit led in they decrees that they gave to the people? So we don't have to follow the decrees given by the apostles to us such as women not usurpy the authority of men in fellowship meetings? So they were adding or taking away from YHVH's laws by doing this just like the rabbi's added to the Law of Moses, is that what you are saying?
You believe it is sin to not follow the food laws, so in this case the apostles were telling them that they could sin?
And .....when Paul said that they didn't have to be circumcised, like when Titus didn't feel compelled to be circumcised Paul was saying it was OK for Titus to sin?
Gal 2:3 but not even Titus, who is with me, being a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised--
Gal 2:4 and that because of the false brethren brought in unawares, who did come in privily to spy out our liberty that we have in Christ Jesus, that us they might bring under bondage,
Gal 2:5 to whom not even for an hour we gave place by subjection, that the truth of the good news might remain to you.
Surely you can see that if one is not circumcised they are not in sin?

In another post you asked why YHVH would say that swine meat was unclean and then change that and say it no longer was. I ask you, why would YHVH give man only plants to eat before the flood, then after the flood tell him he could eat not only meat but all meats? Then tell the Hebrews later that they could only eat some meats?

Because YHWH purified all foods.

as Paul confirms -

I know and am convinced by the Lord Jesus that there is nothing unclean of itself; but to him who considers anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean. Romans 14:14

JLB

The Greek word does not refer to unclean meat. It refers to "common" (koinos) meat. (Edited, ToS 2.4, rudeness. Obadiah)

Last edited by a moderator:
Who are you to judge me?

I was not judging you in my post. I'm not sure why you took it that way. I was simply stating my point of view of those verses just as you have been stating your point of view throughout this thread.

jocor said:
Why would Yahweh destroy those that eat swine's flesh if He now allows His people to eat swine's flesh?
He won't. Read it again. He will consume those that attempt to sanctify and purify themselves. Versus saving those who trust in Christ for their purification. Self purification is an anti-Christian concept based upon idolizing creatures for purification, as if men don't have their own toxins themselves.

(Edited, ToS 2.4, rudeness. Obadiah)
It clearly says that those who eat swine's flesh will be consumed by His fiery judgment.

Isa 66:17 They that sanctify themselves, and purify themselves in the gardens behind one tree in the midst, eating swine's flesh, and the abomination, and the mouse, shall be consumed together, saith YHWH.
The fact that they eat such abominations and sanctify and purify themselves rather than receiving Yeshua for sanctification and purification leads to their destruction. However, if such abominable meat was permissible come judgment day, then no mention of eating such disgusting meat would be needed.

Okay, but my point was that meat doesn't get purified via sweat glands. Nor does a man get corrupted via what he eats.

I agree about the sweat glands. I will add that meat does NOT get purified by Yeshua's death and man does indeed get defiled by what he eats:

Lev 11:43 Ye shall not make yourselves abominable with any creeping thing that creepeth, neither shall ye make yourselves unclean with them, that ye should be defiled thereby.
Lev 11:44 For I am YHWH your God: ye shall therefore sanctify yourselves, and ye shall be holy; for I am holy: neither shall ye defile yourselves with any manner of creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
Lev 11:45 For I am YHWH that bringeth you up out of the land of Egypt, to be your God: ye shall therefore be holy, for I am holy.
Lev 11:46 This is the law of the beasts, and of the fowl, and of every living creature that moveth in the waters, and of every creature that creepeth upon the earth:
Lev 11:47 To make a difference between the unclean and the clean, and between the beast that may be eaten and the beast that may not be eaten.

Matthew 15:11, 17-19 (LEB) It is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth—this defiles a person.” ... Do you not understand that everything that enters into the mouth goes into the stomach and is evacuated into the latrine? But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart (see Is 66:18), and these defile the person.
Everything would incude dust, dirt and a few molecules of dead pig meat. Think about it, the air you breath and water you drink has molecular particles from pigs in it.
The Pharisees (non-pig eaters) just thought they were clean via their washings and diet. Yet their hearts were evil in God's sight. And they had The heart Purifier standing there talking to them. Amazingly ironic.

Matthew 15 has nothing to do with eating unclean meat. It refers to eating clean meat with dirty hands. Such meat goes into the belly and is excreted. Now that we have been purified by Yeshua, we are not to defile ourselves by eating unclean animal flesh.
Yeshua concluded his teaching by putting it all in context:

Mat 15:20 These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.​

14 For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation,
15 having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace, Ephesians 2:14-15

What was the cause of the enmity, that was abolished in His flesh, according to this scripture?

JLB

The "law of commandments contained in DOGMA". (Edited, ToS 2.1: This is a Christian site, therefore, any attempt to put down ... the basic tenets of our Faith will be considered a hostile act.. Doctrinal Statement: "We believe that the Bible is inspired by God in its entirety." Inspired and approved are not the same thing. Obadiah)

Deborah,

I ask you to honestly consider what Paul says here.

The very thing that distinguished the children of Israel from the other nations was the particular laws and commandments that were given through Moses to them.

These laws and commandments contained in ordinances were specifically given to the Children of Israel.

14 For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation,
15 having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace, Ephesians 2:14-15

What was the cause of the enmity, that was abolished in His flesh, according to this scripture?

JLB
I don't think this scripture says that He destroyed the Law, I believe that He destroyed the opposition (enmity).
I believe this is how He created one new man. Jew and Gentile one in the Messiah.
Rom 14:13 no longer, therefore, may we judge one another, but this judge ye rather, not to put a stumbling-stone before the brother, or an offence.
Rom 14:14 I have known, and am persuaded, in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is unclean of itself, except to him who is reckoning anything to be unclean--to that one it is unclean;
Rom 14:15 and if through victuals thy brother is grieved, no more dost thou walk according to love; do not with thy victuals destroy that one for whom Christ died.
This not judging works both ways, I shouldn't be judged as sinning if I eat all meats and I can't judge someone else who eats only some meats. That not judging doesn't allow for opposition between Jew and Gentile.
This could be accomplished by Jesus fulfilling the Law so that it became obsolete. It was the Law that judged one to be in sin if they broke any one of the ordinances contained in the Law of Moses. That judgement was death. He, as our Redeemer, died that death even though He never broke the Law becoming the last sacrificial lamb that the Father recognizes as a payment for sin.
Jas 2:10 for whoever the whole law shall keep, and shall stumble in one point , he hath become guilty of all;
This scripture is proof to me that the Law of Moses is a covenant (a contract) it can't not be torn apart and destroyed by only doing parts of it and picking and choosing which parts to keep. The Law judged one to be a covenant breaker.
Jesus the Christ fulfilled that covenant (contract) because no one else ever had or ever could. If He didn't we are still being judged as sinners by the Law of Moses which had/has no power to save us.

Act 16:4 And as they were going on through the cities, they were delivering to them the decrees to keep, that have been judged by the apostles and the elders who are in Jerusalem,
Act 16:5 then, indeed, were the assemblies established in the faith, and were abounding in number every day;
So you don't believe that they were Spirit led in they decrees that they gave to the people?

I believe they were Spirit led to write what they wrote in Scripture. I do not believe James' decree was Spirit led, but it was Spirit approved. The fact that initially came from a man makes it a dogma. In this case, a good dogma.

So we don't have to follow the decrees given by the apostles to us such as women not usurpy the authority of men in fellowship meetings?

Paul was not giving a decree/dogma in 1Tim 2:12. He was upholding what Torah says in Gen 3:16 that the man has the rule.

So they were adding or taking away from YHVH's laws by doing this just like the rabbi's added to the Law of Moses, is that what you are saying?

I don't know what you are referring to. If you are referring to the four decrees of Acts 15, then they were not adding to or deleting from the Law. They were upholding four laws of Moses, knowing full well that the Gentile converts would learn the rest of Moses in due time as they heard him read every Sabbath (Acts 15:21).

You believe it is sin to not follow the food laws, so in this case the apostles were telling them that they could sin?

How could they be telling them to sin by telling them to obey those four laws of Moses?

And .....when Paul said that they didn't have to be circumcised, like when Titus didn't feel compelled to be circumcised Paul was saying it was OK for Titus to sin?
Gal 2:3 but not even Titus, who is with me, being a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised--
Gal 2:4 and that because of the false brethren brought in unawares, who did come in privily to spy out our liberty that we have in Christ Jesus, that us they might bring under bondage,
Gal 2:5 to whom not even for an hour we gave place by subjection, that the truth of the good news might remain to you.
Surely you can see that if one is not circumcised they are not in sin?

Titus could no longer obey the Law of Moses concerning circumcision because his eighth day of life was past. Provision was made for Gentile converts in such cases. They were, however, to circumcise their own children on the eighth day, not so they could be justified, but because Yahweh commands it.

In another post you asked why YHVH would say that swine meat was unclean and then change that and say it no longer was. I ask you, why would YHVH give man only plants to eat before the flood, then after the flood tell him he could eat not only meat but all meats? Then tell the Hebrews later that they could only eat some meats?

Man's original diet was vegetarian. Yahweh allowed clean animal meat after the flood because there was no vegetation for the most part. That is why He had Moses bring 7 pairs of clean animals onto the ark, but only one pair of unclean animals. More clean animals were brought for sacrifices as well.

You are probably referring to Gen 9:3 in believing man could eat "all meats."

Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.​

Yahweh was speaking to Noah and his sons (vs. 1). Noah knew the difference between clean and unclean animals (Gen 7:2). Therefore, when Yahweh said, "Every moving thing," Noah knew that He meant every moving thing that was clean to eat. In Gen 9:3, Yahweh said, "even as the green herb ...". Noah could not eat every green herb because some herbs are poisonous to man. In the same way ("even as") Noah could not eat every animal either. Had Noah and company eaten one unclean animal, the species would have become extinct since they could no longer reproduce.

In Gen 8:21, Yahweh said, " . . .neither will I again smite any more every thing living as I have done." Are we to understand this literally? Did Yahweh smite those in the ark or aquatic life? No. Therefore, this verse needs to be qualified by understanding it to mean, "every thing living on the ground" as is revealed in Gen 7:22; " And every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the ground, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl of the heaven; and they were destroyed from the earth: and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark." In the same way, Gen 9:3 needs to be qualified by understanding it to mean "every moving thing that is clean to eat shall be meat for you."

The references to 3 Macc 1:3 and Philo do not pertain to Yahweh’s laws, but to traditions and opinions. The other references are the ones in question. Thayer is giving definitions based on the Christian interpretation of those verses referring to the Law of Moses.

Thayer references Acts 16:4 and says it refers to “all the precepts of the Christian religion”??? It does no such thing. It only refers to the decrees given at the Jerusalem Council in Acts 15.

Verse 4 says the decrees were “judged by the apostles and elders” in Jerusalem. It does not say the decrees were commanded by Yahweh or the Holy Spirit. They weren’t simply the opinions of men, but were the opinion of one man, James, who received the approval of the Holy Spirit and the other apostles and elders present.

Act 15:13 And after they had held their peace, James answered, saying, Men and brethren, hearken unto me: (not “hearken unto the Holy Spirit”).

Act 15:19 Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God: (not “the Holy Spirit commands” or “the Lord says, not I”).

Act 15:28 For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things; (It doesn’t say “The Holy Spirit commanded” or “The Holy Spirit moved us”. After James gave his decree, the apostles and elders, as well as the Holy Spirit, thought it was a good decree. They approved it. A dogma is a man-made decree that can be good or bad. In this case it was good. In Col 2:14 & Eph 2:15, they were bad decrees. If the Holy Spirit put it on James’ heart to make that decree, it would not say “It seemed good to the Holy Spirit”. Any leading or command by the Holy Spirit is automatically good. Had the Holy Spirit given the command, verse 28 would read, “For the Holy Spirit’s command to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things seemed good to us;”​
It seemed good to the Holy Spirit. If that's not saying that he consulted the Holy Spirit for what decree should be given, then what is he saying? I think if the Holy Spirit said it was good then YHVH said it was good.
Thayer's Dictionary gives definitions about how Greek words of that time were used. Both in secular writings and in Biblical writings. Philo, was a Jew.

Gal 4:24 which things are allegorized, for these are the two covenants: one, indeed, from mount Sinai, to servitude bringing forth, which is Hagar;
Gal 4:25 for this Hagar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and doth correspond to the Jerusalem that now is , and is in servitude with her children,
Gal 4:26 and the Jerusalem above is the free-woman, which is mother of us all,

I don't think this scripture says that He destroyed the Law, I believe that He destroyed the opposition (enmity).
I believe this is how He created one new man. Jew and Gentile one in the Messiah.

The very thing that was the enmity was the law of commandments contained in ordinances, according to this scripture.

... that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances,

JLB

The Greek word does not refer to unclean meat. It refers to "common" (koinos) meat. Learn the difference.

all foods!

He purified all foods!

(Edited, ToS 2.4, rudeness. Obadiah)

Meat or common is not mentioned.

The "law of commandments contained in DOGMA". These are not Yahweh's commandments,

Oh I see, He needed to abolish someone else's commandments. :eek2

That's almost as good as when you said the law doesn't really mean the law, but the Sinai Covenant.

JLB

If the Law of Moses has not been made obsolete (Hebrews 8:13) and is still in effect then I should be doing all the things that the Law of Moses says to do because my Father made those decrees, that was His will.
If you mean 'Law of Moses' as a covenant, which I think you do because that's what the Hebrews reference is referring to, then I agree whole-heartedly. If the law of Moses is not obsolete insofar as it being a covenant between God and his people then we would indeed be obligated to perform all of it, literally. But as we see, and agree, the passage plainly teaches how the first covenant is now obsolete.

The way I see it, we can't have it both ways. Either we are to literally obey it or it is obsolete.
When Jesus said to take care of the poor, He meant to literally take care of the poor. When He said don't eat shellfish, He literally meant don't eat shellfish. :shrug
Okay, now let's talk about the law of Moses itself, apart from it's role as a covenant.

This is an example where we do have the law of Moses 'both ways'--that is, the law being made obsolete insofar as a covenant provision, yet the law being fulfilled by us, nonetheless. This passage shows exactly what happened to the law of Moses in this New Covenant in regard to it being obsolete as a covenant requirement, yet fulfilled, not abolished, by the people of God:

9 For it is written in the Law of Moses, "YOU SHALL NOT MUZZLE THE OX WHILE HE IS THRESHING." God is not concerned about oxen, is He? 10 Or is He speaking altogether for our sake? Yes, for our sake it was written...
11 If we sowed spiritual things in you, is it too much if we reap material things from you?" (1 Corinthians 9:9-11 NASB)

It can hardly be argued that this is somehow some eternal cosmic law that existed before the law of Moses, and therefore, as the argument goes, that's why it continues into the New Covenant. It's a Mosaic command, plain and simple, yet it continues into this New Covenant. So, it defeats the infamous 'two law' doctrine that says laws continue into the New Covenant because they are eternal and existed before the law, and it's the temporary laws added to the eternal that got abolished (Obviously, oxen don't have to be fed while they're working, but can be fed before or after their work. That pretty well strips it of any eternal truth). Paul shows the law to be obsolete as a covenant requirement when he says, "God is not concerned about oxen, is He?", but shows it to be fulfilled, not abolished, in this New Covenant by it being used to defend the care of the workers of the gospel.

Last edited:
not abolished, by the people of God:

The people of God did not abolish the covenant or the law, God Himself did this at the cross.

having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace, Ephesians 2:15

and again

13 In that He says, "A new covenant," He has made the first obsolete... Hebrews 8:13

We fulfill the essence of the law of God, that is the 10 commandments, by Loving God and Loving our neighbor.

The law of Christ changes the law of Moses and teaches us this very thing.

43 "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' - Law of Moses

44 But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you,- Law of Christ

But I say to you... means just what it says, disregard the law of Moses and do what I say instead, then you will love the way God intends people to love who are a part of His Kingdom.

That is why Jesus says -

The law and the prophets were until John. Since that time the kingdom of God has been preached, and everyone is pressing into it.
Luke 16:16

JLB

Jas 2:10 for whoever the whole law shall keep, and shall stumble in one point , he hath become guilty of all;
This scripture is proof to me that the Law of Moses is a covenant (a contract) it can't not be torn apart and destroyed by only doing parts of it and picking and choosing which parts to keep.
I agree, it's just that in this New Covenant not all the law gets 'kept' in it's first covenant way, but all the law is 'kept' in this New Covenant, nonetheless.

In the example I just shared, when we don't literally strap feed bags on oxen when they're treading out the grain we aren't literally keeping the law of Moses, and so in that sense we are indeed tearing the law apart and picking and choosing which parts to keep, or not keep. Yet when we feed the workers of the gospel we are 'keeping' the law of the oxen.

So, there really is no partial law keeping in this New Covenant. It's just that now that the law is no longer a literal covenant for the people of God, some of the law gets 'kept' in a different way, which appears to some to be a picking and choosing of the law.

So there's no reason to create a doctrine that gets rid of the law of Moses completely in order to avoid the sin of picking and choosing laws to keep. The whole law of Moses is 'kept' in this New Covenant. It's not cherry picked. It's just that some laws find their fulfillment in a New Covenant way, and not the literal way of the first covenant, but which as we see is a fulfillment of the law, not an abolishing of the law, nonetheless.

Last edited:
The whole law of Moses is 'kept' in this New Covenant.

The law of Moses was the law of that Covenant.

There is no such scripture that separates the law from the Covenant,

as it is written -

So He declared to you His covenant which He commanded you to perform, the Ten Commandments; and He wrote them on two tablets of stone. Deuteronomy 4:13

and again -

When I went up into the mountain to receive the tablets of stone, the tablets of the covenant which the Lord made with you, then I stayed on the mountain forty days and forty nights. I neither ate bread nor drank water. Deuteronomy 9:9

There is no such scripture that separates the law written in stone from the covenant, for the scriptures shows us the Ten Commandments were the covenant.

JLB

I believe they were Spirit led to write what they wrote in Scripture. I do not believe James' decree was Spirit led, but it was Spirit approved. The fact that initially came from a man makes it a dogma. In this case, a good dogma.
Here's something to think about when men speak the decrees of God what word is used?
Yeshua said that it was Moses who allowed them to divorce and yet Moses only gave commands that YHVH had given to him to decree to the people.
Mat 19:7 They say to him, `Why then did Moses command to give a roll of divorce, and to put her away?'
Mat 19:8 He saith to them--`Moses for your stiffness of heart did suffer [allow] you to put away your wives, but from the beginning it hath not been so. [ ] my addition of the definition
Deu 24:1 `When a man doth take a wife, and hath married her, and it hath been, if she doth not find grace in his eyes (for he hath found in her nakedness of anything), and he hath written for her a writing of divorce, and given it into her hand, and sent her out of his house,
Deu 23:14 for Jehovah thy God is walking up and down in the midst of thy camp, to deliver thee, and to give thine enemies before thee, and thy camp hath been holy, and He doth not see in thee the nakedness of anything, and hath turned back from after thee.
Strong's H6172
עֶרְוַת דָּבָר nakedness of a thing, i.e. probably indecency, improper behaviour Deuteronomy 23:15; Deuteronomy 24:1 (see Dr).
http://biblehub.com/hebrew/6172.htm

Paul was not giving a decree/dogma in 1Tim 2:12. He was upholding what Torah says in Gen 3:16 that the man has the rule.
1Ti 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
Sorry I should have quoted the scripture as to what I was intending. "I (Paul) do not allow a woman to teach men."
I don't know anywhere in the Law of Moses where it says that women are not allowed to teach men and in Judaism women are allowed to teach men. Genesis never says anything about women teaching men, neither does the OT by God's choice show that all women are deceived. God chose Deborah to be the Judge over all Israel and for her to lead them in war, Barak refused to go without her.
But the point is, were Paul's instructions dogma in the sense that it was just his opinion or did he receive that instruction from the Lord just as Moses received the Law of Moses from the Lord?
I don't know what you are referring to. If you are referring to the four decrees of Acts 15, then they were not adding to or deleting from the Law. They were upholding four laws of Moses, knowing full well that the Gentile converts would learn the rest of Moses in due time as they heard him read every Sabbath (Acts 15:21).
If gentiles converts to Christ were suppose to be learning the Law of Moses in the synagogues they would have been instructed to do that but they never were. They assembled in people's homes.
Sorry the gentile were not accepted in the synagogues unless they were there to convert to Judaism. Jesus and Paul both were accepted by some and thrown out by others.
"The opposition that Paul encounters in certain synagogues is consistent with Jesus' warnings that synagogues will be places of persecution. Jesus tells his disciples that they will be delivered to synagogue authorities ( Luke 12:11 ; 21:12 ), flogged in synagogues ( Matt 10:17 ; 23:34 ; Mark 13:9 ), and even put out of synagogues ( John 16:2 ). The pre-Christian Paul himself travels from synagogue to synagogue in his relentless zeal to imprison, beat, and otherwise punish Christians ( Acts 9:2 ; 22:19 ; 26:11 )."
http://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionaries/bakers-evangelical-dictionary/synagogue.html
If I were a gentile convert to Christ during that time, I certainly would not want to put myself in the hands of the one's at the synagogues. I would ask those in my assembly who were Jews whatever I wanted to know.
How could they be telling them to sin by telling them to obey those four laws of Moses?
By telling them they didn't have to be circumcised or obey the kosher food laws. You said that it was a sin if those in Christ did not do these things.
Titus could no longer obey the Law of Moses concerning circumcision because his eighth day of life was past. Provision was made for Gentile converts in such cases. They were, however, to circumcise their own children on the eighth day, not so they could be justified, but because Yahweh commands it.
If that is true why could Timothy be circumcised as an adult? And why could adult gentiles who converted to Judaism be circumcised? As a matter of fact, if they didn't get circumcised they couldn't partake (eat) the Passover feast and were not considered full members of the nation of Israel. These were the 'righteous proselytes' not the 'proselytes of the gate'.
Exo 12:48 `And when a sojourner sojourneth with thee, and hath made a passover to Yehovah, every male of his is to be circumcised, and then he doth come near to keep it, and he hath been as a native of the land, but any uncircumcised one doth not eat of it;
Exo 12:49 one law is to a native, and to a sojourner who is sojourning in your midst.'
So you see that wall that you say was just the physical wall built in the temple that kept the gentiles out was just symbolic of the Law of Moses. If a gentile agreed to be circumcised and follow all the Law of Moses that wall did not stand in his way. He became a full member of the nation of Israel and then he could offer sacrifices at the altar to atone for his sin. There is an example in the OT of a man and his men being circumcised and partaking of the Passover but I can find it or remember where.
Man's original diet was vegetarian. Yahweh allowed clean animal meat after the flood because there was no vegetation for the most part. That is why He had Moses bring 7 pairs of clean animals onto the ark, but only one pair of unclean animals. More clean animals were brought for sacrifices as well.

You are probably referring to Gen 9:3 in believing man could eat "all meats."

Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.​

Yahweh was speaking to Noah and his sons (vs. 1). Noah knew the difference between clean and unclean animals (Gen 7:2). Therefore, when Yahweh said, "Every moving thing," Noah knew that He meant every moving thing that was clean to eat. In Gen 9:3, Yahweh said, "even as the green herb ...". Noah could not eat every green herb because some herbs are poisonous to man. In the same way ("even as") Noah could not eat every animal either. Had Noah and company eaten one unclean animal, the species would have become extinct since they could no longer reproduce.
In Gen 8:21, Yahweh said, " . . .neither will I again smite any more every thing living as I have done." Are we to understand this literally? Did Yahweh smite those in the ark or aquatic life? No. Therefore, this verse needs to be qualified by understanding it to mean, "every thing living on the ground" as is revealed in Gen 7:22; " And every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the ground, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl of the heaven; and they were destroyed from the earth: and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark." In the same way, Gen 9:3 needs to be qualified by understanding it to mean "every moving thing that is clean to eat shall be meat for you."
I believe the scripture is very clear as it reads, 'every moving thing'. Noah would have had to know unclean and clean because he offered sacrifices for atonement. Even the Jews don't believe that Noah ate kosher.
"According to traditional Judaism, G-d gave Noah and his family seven commandments to observe when he saved them from the flood. These commandments, referred to as the Noahic or Noahide commandments, are inferred from Genesis Ch. 9, and are as follows: 1) to establish courts of justice; 2) not to commit blasphemy; 3) not to commit idolatry; 4) not to commit incest and adultery; 5) not to commit bloodshed; 6) not to commit robbery; and 7) not to eat flesh cut from a living animal. These commandments are fairly simple and straightforward, and most of them are recognized by most of the world as sound moral principles. Any non-Jew who follows these laws has a place in the world to come." http://www.jewfaq.org/gentiles.htm#Noah[/QUOTE]

I agree, it's just that in this New Covenant not all the law gets 'kept' in it's first covenant way, but all the law is 'kept' in this New Covenant, nonetheless.
Rom 8:1 There is, then, now no condemnation to those in Christ Jesus, who walk not according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit;
Rom 8:4 that the righteousness of the law may be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.
I believe, it is the righteousness of the law that is fulfilled in us, not by us. The righteousness of the law is not the same thing as the law itself. It is Christ's righteousness that justifies us. We don't walk in the flesh, we walk in the Spirit (by faith).
In the example I just shared, when we don't literally strap feed bags on oxen when they're treading out the grain we aren't literally keeping the law of Moses, and so in that sense we are indeed tearing the law apart and picking and choosing which parts to keep, or not keep. Yet when we feed the workers of the gospel we are 'keeping' the law of the oxen.
Actually a muzzle keeps the oxen from eating while they walk on the threshing floor. They would be made to work but not allowed to eat of the grain they were threshing out as they worked.
1Ti 5:17 The well-leading elders of double honour let them be counted worthy, especially those labouring in word and teaching,
1Ti 5:18 for the Writing saith, `An ox treading out thou shalt not muzzle,' and `Worthy is the workman of his reward.'
Both of these in v18 are in the Law of Moses and in my opinion very true for today, a moral principle of loving thy neighbor as thyself. Should we ask someone to feed us and let him go hungry?
Because some of the principles of the Law of Moses overlap into the new covenant doesn't mean they all do.
So there's no reason to create a doctrine that gets rid of the law of Moses completely in order to avoid the sin of picking and choosing laws to keep. The whole law of Moses is 'kept' in this New Covenant. It's not cherry picked. It's just that some laws find their fulfillment in a New Covenant way, and not the literal way of the first covenant, but which as we see is a fulfillment of the law, not an abolishing of the law, nonetheless.
I don't see how we spiritually 'keep' all the Laws of Moses. But I do see how being in Christ causes us to have the righteousness of the law fulfilled in us.

So from Noah (after the flood) to the Law of Moses, God wasn't considered about man eating foods that could make him sick?
Gen.7:2
Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, The male and his female, and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female.

Evidently, Noah knew about the clean and unclean.

Rom 8:1 There is, then, now no condemnation to those in Christ Jesus, who walk not according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit;
Rom 8:4 that the righteousness of the law may be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.
I believe, it is the righteousness of the law that is fulfilled in us, not by us.
It says right in what you quoted that it is when we walk according to the Spirit that the righteousness of the law is fulfilled in us. How is that not us fulfilling the righteousness of the law through our obedience? Paul says later in Romans 13:8-10 NASB that when we love others we are fulfilling the law. How is that not us fulfilling the righteousness of the law through our obedience?

The righteousness of the law is not the same thing as the law itself.
You'll have to explain that one.

It is Christ's righteousness that justifies us.
Which is a completely different aspect of righteousness. That is the righteousness--a legal declaration of righteousness--that we don't do for ourselves and which is gained for us by Christ. That has nothing to do with the fact that we have to walk in the Spirit (obey God) in order to fulfill the righteous requirements of the law. Not for the purpose of justification. That can only happen by Christ giving us his declaration of righteousness. We obey for the purpose of the righteousness of the law to be fulfilled in what we do. The passage you quoted above shows that does not happen until we walk according to the Spirit (love, joy, peace, patience...).

We don't walk in the flesh, we walk in the Spirit (by faith).
But the point is, the righteousness of the law does not get fulfilled in us until we walk in the Spirit.

Actually a muzzle keeps the oxen from eating while they walk on the threshing floor. They would be made to work but not allowed to eat of the grain they were threshing out as they worked.
If I would have thought about it better I would have realized that. No need to put a feed bag on an ox standing over the threshed out grain, right? :lol

1Ti 5:17 The well-leading elders of double honour let them be counted worthy, especially those labouring in word and teaching,
1Ti 5:18 for the Writing saith, `An ox treading out thou shalt not muzzle,' and `Worthy is the workman of his reward.'
Both of these in v18 are in the Law of Moses and in my opinion very true for today, a moral principle of loving thy neighbor as thyself. Should we ask someone to feed us and let him go hungry?
Because some of the principles of the Law of Moses overlap into the new covenant doesn't mean they all do.
Besides the rabbinical add-on law allowing a man to divorce a wife, what other principle of the law of Moses does not get fulfilled in this New Covenant? Maybe there is some, but I can't think of any. The point being, the law of Moses gets fulfilled, not abolished, in this New Covenant (I know you agree it's not abolished). But surely what did happen is the law is no longer the literal covenant between God and his people. It was made obsolete in that regard, but fulfilled in this New Covenant when we believe and obey, nonetheless.

I don't see how we spiritually 'keep' all the Laws of Moses.
Maybe there's a couple of laws that we don't, but I can't think of any right off hand.

But I do see how being in Christ causes us to have the righteousness of the law fulfilled in us.
It's not enough to just be in Christ to have the righteousness of the law fulfilled in us. The Romans passage you cited says we must walk in the Spirit for that to happen.

The only righteousness of the law that is fulfilled for and in us apart from our works is our legal right standing before God. That is entirely a gift given to us through our faith in the forgiveness of God in Christ.

(Post removed. A&T Guidelines state in part "Subsequent opposing responses should include references to supportive scripture relevant to the thread and offer explanation for the contrary understanding." Obadiah)

Back