Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What is the best thing to do when you hate someone?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
theology that leaves out the bit that requires us to forgive?
Please read what I said.

You realize that the thief had already forgiven those who put him there, right?
What evidence is there for that statement?
Do you think forgiving others is unnecessary?
I believe what the bible teaches.
That God does not forgive those who do not repent and that Jesus taught us to do the same.
Like Jesus being crucified, where he prayed, " Father forgive them." we too hand situation, people and our feelings over to God to deal with.
Then we pray for those who have hurt us, pray for there good, regularly.

Please read what I said.
I did. That’s why I offered what I did.
What evidence is there for that statement?
What statement? That the thief knew he had sinned and said so? That’s repentance in that situation.
So says everyone, false teachers and true. I mean who says, I believe things the Bible speaks against and claims to be a Christian?
That God does not forgive those who do not repent and that Jesus taught us to do the same.
I believe that too. There are conditions for salvation.
Like Jesus being crucified, where he prayed, " Father forgive them." we too hand situation, people and our feelings over to God to deal with.
Then we pray for those who have hurt us, pray for there good, regularly.
Sounds good.

I do not like statements like this. It implies that the one making them believes himself/herself more righteous than others. There isn't anyone on this site that doesn't believe he/she believes the Bible and yet we have different understandings of what the Bible teaches. The reason we have these discussions is to get closer to the Truth. Anyone that thinks they have it all figured out to me sounds prideful with a puffed up chest.

Last edited:
I do not like statements like this. It implies that the one making believes himself/herself more righteous than others. There isn't anyone on this cite that doesn't believe he/she believes the Bible and yet we have different understandings of what the Bible teaches. The reason we have these discussions is to get closer to the Truth. Anyone that thinks they have it all figured out to me sounds prideful with a puffed up chest.
“I believe what the Bible teaches” implies “unlike you.” It also implies that “everything I believe is 100% Bible unlike you.”

You realize that the thief had already forgiven those who put him there, right?
I asked for evidence of this statement.
There are conditions for salvation
Yes repentance.

As I said the bible clearly teaches that without repentance there is no forgiveness.
Yet many Christians ignore this ans say that it teaches that Christians must forgive no matter what.
That is not a biblical teaching.

“I believe what the Bible teaches” implies “unlike you.” It also implies that “everything I believe is 100% Bible unlike you.”
Well as you are saying that Christians must always forgive. You are teaching so etching that is not in the bible.

I asked for evidence of this statement.
And I gave it to you. He acknowledged His sin and blamed no one but himself for his situation. That is a greater show of repentance than the common, “God please forgive me for my sin nature I was born with and cannot help” so commonly a part of the “sinners prayer.”
Yes repentance.

As I said the bible clearly teaches that without repentance there is no forgiveness.
Yet many Christians ignore this ans say that it teaches that Christians must forgive no matter what.
That is not a biblical teaching.
God doesn’t forgive without repentance but we are not in that role. We are forgiven to the degree we forgive whether the other repented or not. Do you without forgiveness unless someone meets your requirements?

I feel their sins have turned my heart to stone. I hate these abusers with so much fury it bugs me all day. I feel so traumatized, but I know I am capable of doing better. I'm so stuck. I'm glad these people aren't in my life anymore because I don't know what I would do.

This scripture worries me:

1 John 3:15 Anyone who hates a brother or sister is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life residing in him.

I know this particular verse is about me. There's no denying it. I have no idea how to properly respond to the traumas I've experienced. God has delivered me from a lot of bothersome habits, but this hate has me knocked down. How does one go about getting rid of hate for others? Thanks for reading

As far as God is concerned, your hatred of your abusers is as much sin as their sin against you is sin. Your burning hatred of those who have done wrong against you is not of God; it's just you being who you are when God isn't in control of you. Apart from God, steering your own course according to your own reason, feelings and personality, you are actually in a state of rebellion toward Him and cut off as a result from all that He could be and do in and through you (Psalms 66:18; Isaiah 59:2; 1 Peter 3:10-12). It's only God who has the power to free you from any sin - including hatred - in the way, and for the reasons, that He wants to free you. But you will never know His power to dissolve and liberate you from yourself, which is where your hatred is coming from, until you consciously, explicitly put yourself under God's control throughout every day, in love and humility being a "living sacrifice to God" (Romans 12:1) and "vessel fit for His use." (2 Timothy 2:21)

You've lied to yourself, though, which is what we all do in order to sin. God commands you to change your mind about - repent of - the lies you've been telling yourself about Him, yourself and your right to resent and hate your abusers. Until you do, until you see these lies in the light of the truth of God's word (Psalms 119:105; Hebrews 4:12; Psalms 119:11; 2 Timothy 3:16-17), confess them to God for what they are (1 John 1:9), and forsake them (James 4:6-10), you will continue to justify your sin of bitterness and hatred and be slowly but surely hardened, deafened, blinded to your sin, seared in your conscience and cut off from the fellowship with God for which He made you (Hebrews 3:13; James 1:13-15; Romans 6:23; 1 Timothy 4:1-2). And in this state, God warns you will sow sin and reap corruption and death, always more than you sow, later than you sow (Galatians 6:7-8).

So, what will you do? Will you begin to live in daily submission to your Maker, by faith waiting on Him to transform you, making you in your practical living the person you are spiritually in Jesus Christ? Or will you continue to be your own boss, holding onto the sin that will poison you spiritually, turn God's face from you, grieve the Holy Spirit and scar your conscience?

Something that is not taught in the bible.
You think that loving your neighbor as you love yourself doesn't include forgiveness?
It is written..."For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:" (Matt 1:14)
And..."So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses." (Matt 18:35)

Where?
Did those that Jesus forgave from the cross repent? ("They knew not what they do!")
How about those that stoned Stephen?
He forgave them without their repentance.

As far as God is concerned, your hatred of your abusers is as much sin as their sin against you is sin. Your burning hatred of those who have done wrong against you is not of God; it's just you being who you are when God isn't in control of you. Apart from God, steering your own course according to your own reason, feelings and personality, you are actually in a state of rebellion toward Him and cut off as a result from all that He could be and do in and through you (Psalms 66:18; Isaiah 59:2; 1 Peter 3:10-12). It's only God who has the power to free you from any sin - including hatred - in the way, and for the reasons, that He wants to free you. But you will never know His power to dissolve and liberate you from yourself, which is where your hatred is coming from, until you consciously, explicitly put yourself under God's control throughout every day, in love and humility being a "living sacrifice to God" (Romans 12:1) and "vessel fit for His use." (2 Timothy 2:21)

You've lied to yourself, though, which is what we all do in order to sin. God commands you to change your mind about - repent of - the lies you've been telling yourself about Him, yourself and your right to resent and hate your abusers. Until you do, until you see these lies in the light of the truth of God's word (Psalms 119:105; Hebrews 4:12; Psalms 119:11; 2 Timothy 3:16-17), confess them to God for what they are (1 John 1:9), and forsake them (James 4:6-10), you will continue to justify your sin of bitterness and hatred and be slowly but surely hardened, deafened, blinded to your sin, seared in your conscience and cut off from the fellowship with God for which He made you (Hebrews 3:13; James 1:13-15; Romans 6:23; 1 Timothy 4:1-2). And in this state, God warns you will sow sin and reap corruption and death, always more than you sow, later than you sow (Galatians 6:7-8).

So, what will you do? Will you begin to live in daily submission to your Maker, by faith waiting on Him to transform you, making you in your practical living the person you are spiritually in Jesus Christ? Or will you continue to be your own boss, holding onto the sin that will poison you spiritually, turn God's face from you, grieve the Holy Spirit and scar your conscience?
This is a very thoughtful reply, I read every scripture given. There were some I'd never heard of. Thank you for adding them.

What is the best thing to do when you hate someone?​

keep praying through express your feelings to GOD in prayer. at some point you have to let it go... it can turn to a root of bitterness. forgive but not forget

Forgiving does not mean you have to continue in the relationship. Forgiving merely means you write of the debt they owe you, whether financial, emotional, physical or spiritual. Just write it off and say out loud "You owe me nothing."

this is correct advice

is there anything you dont know?
Lots, but unlike other people, if I don’t anything or much about the subject, I don’t offer my ignorance just to say something. “Even a fool is deemed wise when he keeps his mouth shut.”

I know that was meant as a personal insult but as you see, I just laughed and refused to be insulted. Loving the truth is a marvelous shield against evil darts.

Where?
Did those that Jesus forgave from the cross repent? ("They knew not what they do!")
How about those that stoned Stephen?
He forgave them without their repentance.
Please read what the Bible says.
In both Jesus's crucifixion and Stephens stunning, they prayed Father forgive them.
Not I forgive them. ( Stephen, :- do not hold this sin against them. )

May I suggest that you look at how God forgave sinners and Israel, Ninivah etc I the O T.
As well as how God forgives people today.
Because unless you believ5 everybody, regardless of what they belief is saved, salvation depends on repentance..
Like 17:3+4 verses on body deals with, says we must forgive if, if they repent.

Please read what the Bible says.
In both Jesus's crucifixion and Stephens stunning, they prayed Father forgive them.
Not I forgive them. ( Stephen, :- do not hold this sin against them. )

May I suggest that you look at how God forgave sinners and Israel, Ninivah etc I the O T.
As well as how God forgives people today.
Because unless you believ5 everybody, regardless of what they belief is saved, salvation depends on repentance..
Like 17:3+4 verses on body deals with, says we must forgive if, if they repent.
Wow, if they don’t repent that YOU know of it, you think you’re allowed to harbor unforgiveness which becomes in time bitterness. Think of what a horrible church that would make??!! Instead of being merciful (so one receives mercy) all of them withhold mercy unless earned by asking the right person for forgiveness.

Back