Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What is the best thing to do when you hate someone?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Please read what the Bible says.
In both Jesus's crucifixion and Stephens stunning, they prayed Father forgive them.
Not I forgive them. ( Stephen, :- do not hold this sin against them. )
How can one ask God to forgive someone they don't themself forgive?
May I suggest that you look at how God forgave sinners and Israel, Ninivah etc I the O T.
As well as how God forgives people today.
Because unless you believ5 everybody, regardless of what they belief is saved, salvation depends on repentance..
Like 17:3+4 verses on body deals with, says we must forgive if, if they repent.
Will Father forgive a sinner whom a true Christ follower doesn't beseech Him for?
And doesn't Jesus say we will get what we ask for?

Do you really think God will hear the prayers of someone who still hates another man?
I don't, as "God heareth not sinners". (John 9:31)

As you don't agree with my POV, can you mention any good thing that can come from holding a grudge?

How can one ask God to forgive someone they don't themself forgive?
Very easily. You forget that is what Jesus did, as did Stephen.
Do you really think God will hear the prayers of someone who still hates another man
Please quote any of my posts, or any biblical quote that says one hates the person who has hurt one.

I have posted several times on the topic of forgiveness as most Christians don't understand it.

Please read the book of Joanh. It is a good study on rejection of God, acceptance, repentance, restoration and God's forgiveness.

No where in the bible does God forgive without there being repentance.
Tell me, who in the bible expected people.e to do more than God commanded?

Forgiveness as shown in Luke 17: 3+4. Is conditional on the offender saying sorry.
Then we Must forgive, no matter how hard.
When there is no repentance, we copy Jesus and hand the situation, the people, our feelings over to God for him to deal with them and us.
Not finish, we do the hard task of praying regularly and I tellingly for the offender.
It is this last thing that causes people to prefer the unbiblical ideal of manufacturing feelings of forgiveness and of burdening people who are hurting g with the guilt of not being given able to forgive.

Last edited:
Very easily. You forget that is what Jesus did, as did Stephen.
Are you really saying that Jesus and Stephen asked God to forgive people they themselves would not forgive?
I cannot agree.
Please quote any of my posts, or any biblical quote that says one hates the person who has hurt one.
You lost me there.
But don't you think the refusal to forgive indicates hate?
If both Jesus and Stephen asked God to forgive, but you don't think Jesus or Stephen forgave, how could either be our examples of forgiveness?
I have posted several times on the topic of forgiveness as most Christians don't understand it.
Please read the book of Joanh. It is a good study on rejection of God, acceptance, repentance, restoration and God's forgiveness.

No where in the bible does God forgive without there being repentance.
Tell me, who in the bible expected people.e to do more than God commanded?
Why did Jesus ask God to forgive His killers then?
They didn't repent, but Jesus wanted them to be forgiven.
Does that sound like someone who has not themself forgiven?
No.
Then we Must forgive, no matter how hard.
Yes.
When there is no repentance, we copy Jesus and hand the situation, the people, our feelings over to God for him to deal with them and us.
That starts with our own forgiving of the person.

Are you really saying that Jesus and Stephen asked God to forgive people they themselves would not forgive?
I cannot agree.
It is what the bible says.
But don't you think the refusal to forgive indicates hate?
No, it indicates that someone is so hurt that they, at that moment, can only pray to God
Why did Jesus ask God to forgive His killers then?
We are told to pray for our persecutor's.
Do take things out of context.
That starts with our own forgiving of the person.
Yes, show those who read this that you do not understand what I have written.

Amen to that.
Whether or not they repent or say they are sorry, we must forgive...or we will not be forgiven. (Matt 6:15)
Luke 17:3.
Please read it.
Then read Jonah.
How did God deal with Jonah's rebellion and how did God respond to Nineveh's actions?

It is what the bible says.
It says Jesus and Stephen asked God to forgive those who had hurt them.
To think Jesus or Stephen didn't themselves forgive before asking God to forgive is ludicrous.
No, it indicates that someone is so hurt that they, at that moment, can only pray to God
Anyone with a new heart will reach out to God before starting to hate someone so much they can't forgive them.
I am sure both knew that if they themselves wouldn't forgive that they themselves would not be forgiven.
It is written..."But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." (Matt 6:15)
We are told to pray for our persecutor's.
Good idea, as if we don't forgive them we will not be forgiven.
Do take things out of context.
No thanks.
Yes, show those who read this that you do not understand what I have written.
You advocate we don't have to forgive.
Jesus doesn't agree with you.

Luke 17:3.
Please r
Perfectly good OT instruction...for those not reborn of God's seed.
Thanks be to God, though, we are now in the NT, and walk after the Spirit instead of after the flesh, and have the mind of Christ.
There can be no unforgiveness in us.
Then read Jonah.
How did God deal with Jonah's rebellion and how did God respond to Nineveh's actions?
Thanks for provoking me to reread Jonah.
Jonah repented of his reticence, Nineveh repented of their sins, and God repented of the evil He was going to do to Nineveh.
And all while providing the presage of the three day/nights Jesus would spend in the tomb.

Your POV is that without repentance there can be no forgiveness.
I disagree.
How can I carry the hate for ten thousand crazy drivers that have cut me off in traffic over the past many years?
I forgive them without even knowing their names.
Thanks be to God for the mind of Christ.
The fact that I just forgave them, (though I forgave them many years ago), makes your POV a moot point.

before starting to hate someone so much they can't forgive them.
Why do you decend into emotional language?
You are the one talking about hate, I haven't used it.

You completely ignore the ot, a book without which the nt makes no sense.

You also ignore how God forgives.

Thanks for provoking me to reread Jonah.
Jonah repented of his reticence, Nineveh repented of their sins, and God repented of the evil He was going to do to Nineveh.
And all while providing the presage of the three day/nights Jesus would spend in the tomb.
And showing that without repentance there is no forgiveness.

Perfectly good OT instruction...for those not reborn of God's seed.
You consider Luke to be ot instructions!
Do read again who is speaking I Luke 17.
Do look at Jesus's teaching on forgiveness, again and again he links repentance with forgiveness.

And showing that without repentance there is no forgiveness.
As a refusal to repent didn't happen, we don't really know.
We can forgive without a repentance though.
If God is limited from doing so too, it is above my pay-grade.

You consider Luke to be ot instructions!
Yes, or more correctly a "donut hole" writing.
On the cusp of both covenants.
Do read again who is speaking I Luke 17.
Jesus, who until His resurrection, walked in the OT.
Do look at Jesus's teaching on forgiveness, again and again he links repentance with forgiveness.
Forgive or you wont be forgiven.
Name one good thing that comes from carrying a grudge.

Name one good thing that comes from carrying a grudge.
Ah we are making progress, moving from hate to a grudge.

Please read what I have frequently posted about how forgiveness works.

Through out the bible a sinner realises they have sinned and come to God for forgiveness. In the OT that meant an animal sacrifice, this was costly They had to be sincere God sees our motives.
So in the OT individual and national forgiveness was conditional on there repentance.
If my people who are called by my name, will humble themselves, turn from their wicked ways and pray.
Then I will hear from heaven, forgive their sins and heal their land.

As you rightly say Jesus was living under OT rules, as were the disciples.
Lule17:3 sums up forgiveness through the whole bible.

So wht do we do with those who won't repent or say sorry.
Like Stephen and Jesus we hand the situation, the people and our feelings over to God for him to deal with.
Then we do the hard thing of praying regularly and intelligently for those who hurt us.

If one tries to manufacture ' feelings ' of forgiveness then yes haltered, grudges etc can exist.

As Luke 17:3 says if they apologise, then we must forgive and then salvations forgiveness is at risk.

Ah we are making progress, moving from hate to a grudge.
Grudges are born of hate.
Please read what I have frequently posted about how forgiveness works.
No thanks.
I am not interested in reinventing the hate I let go of many years ago.
Some of those people have died, so have no avenue of repentance.
I forgive them anyway.
Some have moved far away, so have no way to tell me they are sorry.
But I forgave them anyway.
That, and Jesus' words that if I don't forgive I will not be forgiven, have made me a better man.
Through out the bible a sinner realises they have sinned and come to God for forgiveness. In the OT that meant an animal sacrifice, this was costly They had to be sincere God sees our motives.
So in the OT individual and national forgiveness was conditional on there repentance.
If my people who are called by my name, will humble themselves, turn from their wicked ways and pray.
Then I will hear from heaven, forgive their sins and heal their land.
As you rightly say Jesus was living under OT rules, as were the disciples.
Lule17:3 sums up forgiveness through the whole bible.

So wht do we do with those who won't repent or say sorry.
Like Stephen and Jesus we hand the situation, the people and our feelings over to God for him to deal with.
Then we do the hard thing of praying regularly and intelligently for those who hurt us.
How can anyone pray for someone they won't forgive?
If one tries to manufacture ' feelings ' of forgiveness then yes haltered, grudges etc can exist
Then forgive, instead of holding on to the hate.
As Luke 17:3 says if they apologise, then we must forgive and then salvations forgiveness is at risk.
We must forgive, in every case.

Grudges are born of hate.
No a grudge come out of a feeling of resentment, a grudge left to fester will end in hate.
How can anyone pray for someone they won't forgive?
The same way we are commanded to pray for persecutor's and people we don't personally know.
We must forgive, in every case.

You won't read the bible and you won't read what I write.

Forgiveness starts with repentance, whether it is from God or from a Christian.
If there is no repentance there is no forgiveness. Luke 17:3

You assume that a Christian who has been hurt cannot pass their feelings over to God to deal with. You assume that a Christian praying for someone who has hurt them is a fake.

Why do you make these massive assumptions?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back