Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

What is the 'work' that may or may not get burned up in 1 Corinthians 3:8-16?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
So you think Paul is using the word destroyed here, to mean physical death, which would mean that the fire also would be a physical fire that test's the work.
No, I don't think that at all. The various meanings for the word for 'destroy' were given, and I explained why I believe Paul's meaning is simply God's discipline by physical death, of which many examples are given throughout Scripture. And that meaning for "destroy" has no bearing on the "fire". The use of 'fire' in Scripture is used in a number of ways, and in 1 Cor 3 it is used for God's judgment on the believer's life.

Same for 2 Cor 5:10 - For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may be recompensed for his deeds in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.

All believers are accountable for their behavior and will be recompensed for them. But there are no verses that tell believers that they are in danger of losing salvation or eternal life for any reason.

Please show use a scripture where people were thrown into a physical fire and burned to death, in the New Testament scriptures.
This is a very frivolous question, since it has nothing to do with my views.

We are warned to remain [abide] in Christ, or be thrown into the fire and burned.
That would be an opinion of what the verse teaches. I disagree.

If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. John 15;6
I believe the verse teaches about fellowship, [edited] The metaphor was used to indicate that God won't use believers who are out of fellowship with Him.

To suggest that believers who don't bear fruit will be cast into hell means that we are actually saved from hell by our works.

Yet, Paul nipped that one in the bud here: 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9 not as a result of works, so that no one may boast. Eph 2

This could not be stated more clearly: we are saved by grace, which is through faith, and NOT of ourselves, and NOT as a result of works.

[edited]

Those who are unfruitful, God Himself takes away.
He removes from service.

Will God use any believer who grieves or quenches the Holy Spirit? Of course not. But they don't go to hell for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I don't think that at all. The various meanings for the word for 'destroy' were given, and I explained why I believe Paul's meaning is simply God's discipline by physical death, of which many examples are given throughout Scripture. And that meaning for "destroy" has no bearing on the "fire". The use of 'fire' in Scripture is used in a number of ways, and in 1 Cor 3 it is used for God's judgment on the believer's life.

Same for 2 Cor 5:10 - For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may be recompensed for his deeds in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.

All believers are accountable for their behavior and will be recompensed for them. But there are no verses that tell believers that they are in danger of losing salvation or eternal life for any reason.

recompensed for his deeds in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.

Well we certainly know what the wages for sin is... it's death; eternal death, as opposed to eternal life.

Those who will receive eternal life, have their fruit unto holiness. Romans 6:22

who “will render to each one according to his deeds”: eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality; but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—indignation and wrath,
Romans 2:6-8

Here's where the context teaches us what Paul meant.

15 If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.
16 Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 17 If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are. 1 Corinthians 3:15-17

Saved here is the same word Jesus used. Strong's G4982 - sōzō

• Those by the wayside are the ones who hear; then the devil comes and takes away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved. Luke 8:12
  • If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire. 1 Corinthians 3:15
Then when the word destroy is used in conjunction with the word saved, the context and meaning becomes clear.

Peter also wrote concerning this very thing, and referred to Paul writing about this as well.

It a reference concerning the Day of the Lord.

9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up.11 Therefore, since all these things will be dissolved, what manner of persons ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness,12 looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be dissolved, being on fire, and the elements will melt with fervent heat? 13 Nevertheless we, according to His promise, look for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.

14 Therefore, beloved, looking forward to these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, without spot and blameless; 15 and consider that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation—as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you, 16 as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures. 2 Peter 3:9-16

People who twist the scriptures, and try to change the meanings of words, teaching others that they can live ungodly, even denying the Lord, as well as practicing the works of the flesh, living in adultery and sexual immorality, and still be saved, and even no longer believe in Christ Jesus for forgiveness,
do so to their own destruction.

JLB

But 1 Cor.3:10-15 is about the gospel and interpreting spiritual truths. That's the work that will become manifest; whether it is gold or silver or precious stone, or wood and hay and stubble. When Paul says the work will be destroyed, he is not saying the man will be destroyed, rather he says the man will be saved, but he will suffer loss.

For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, you are God’s building.

14 If anyone’s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. 15 If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire. 16 Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 17 If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are.
1 Corinthians 3:14-17

Am I not an apostle? Am I not free? Have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? Are you not my work in the Lord? 1 Corinthians 9:1

JLB

This is a very frivolous question, since it has nothing to do with my views.

Please show use a scripture where people were thrown into a physical fire and burned to death, in the New Testament scriptures.

15 If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.
16 Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 17 If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are. 1 Corinthians 3:15-17

How does you view, understand the phrase... God will destroy him, in conjunction with the fire that Paul describes.

Here is another scripture that teaches us about this Day.

8 in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 These shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power, 10 when He comes, in that Day, to be glorified in His saints and to be admired among all those who believe, because our testimony among you was believed. 2 Thessalonians 1:8-10

...those who do not know God, and do not obey the Gospel.

6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.7 Therefore do not be partakers with them. Ephesians 5:6-7

Do not be partakers with them.

If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are.

JLB

We don't build people.
We build the temple of God WITH people

"19So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God’s household, 20having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the corner stone,21in whom the whole building, being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple in the Lord, 22in whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit." ( Ephesians 2:19-22 NASB bold mine)

"5 you also, as living stones, are being built up as a spiritual house" (1 Peter 2:5 NASB)

Read it: The building blocks of the building of God ARE PEOPLE. But if the quality of those people you place on the foundation of that building (Christ and the Apostles and Prophets) through your ministry is hay, wood, or stubble, and not an imperishable quality that can withstand fire (gems, precious stones, etc.) then who you built onto the building of God won't pass through the final Judgment safely but will be consumed. You yourself will pass through, but you will have run your ministerial race in vain in regard to them and you will have nothing--none of those people--to show and exult in at the resurrection. You will have lost your reward for your labor in the building and field of God:

"...prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, children of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you appear as lights in the world, 16holding fast the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I will have reason to glory because I did not run in vain nor toil in vain." (Philippians 2:15-16 NASB bold and underline mine)

"what is our hope, our joy, or the crown in which we will glory in the presence of our Lord Jesus when he comes? Is it not you?20Indeed, you are our glory and joy (assuming you will pass through the fire at the end)
." (1 Thessalonians 2:19-20 NASB bold and underline and parenthesis mine)

"19So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God’s household, 20having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the corner stone,21in whom the whole building, being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple in the Lord, 22in whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit." ( Ephesians 2:19-22 NASB bold mine)

"5 you also, as living stones, are being built up as a spiritual house" (1 Peter 2:5 NASB)

Read it: The building blocks of the building of God ARE PEOPLE. But if the quality of those people you place on the foundation of that building (Christ and the Apostles and Prophets) through your ministry is hay, wood, or stubble, and not an imperishable quality that can withstand fire (gems, precious stones, etc.) then who you built onto the building of God won't pass through the final Judgment safely but will be consumed. You yourself will pass through, but you will have run your ministerial race in vain in regard to them and you will have nothing--none of those people--to show and exult in at the resurrection. You will have lost your reward for your labor in the building and field of God:

"...prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, children of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you appear as lights in the world, 16holding fast the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I will have reason to glory because I did not run in vain nor toil in vain." (Philippians 2:15-16 NASB bold and underline mine)

"what is our hope, our joy, or the crown in which we will glory in the presence of our Lord Jesus when he comes? Is it not you?20Indeed, you are our glory and joy (assuming you will pass through the fire at the end)

Scripture after scripture after scripture validate what you have posted, and couldn't be anymore plain and clear.

We have to, at some point, ask the question as to why there are some who deny what the scriptures so plainly say?

Again, I will post this brief description, as one possible answer.

Paul defines what's going here, and calls it a stronghold.

A fortified position, a "mindset" that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, in favor of predetermined filtered knowledge that has been carefully woven into the fabric of the persons soul, that prevents the truth from entering the persons mind.

For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, 5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ, 6 and being ready to punish all disobedience when your obedience is fulfilled. 2 Corinthians 10:4-6

That's why Heresy is such a serious sin, because it spreads throughout the body and affects many.

19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery,fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. Galatians 5:19-21

Thank you again, Jethro, for the patient and tireless effort you have shown here, to bring forth truth from God's word, that teaches us the truth of the Apostles doctrine, which they learned from Christ: which being the doctrine of Christ.

:salute

JLB

For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, you are God’s building.

14 If anyone’s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. 15 If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire. 16 Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 17 If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are.
1 Corinthians 3:14-17

Am I not an apostle? Am I not free? Have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? Are you not my work in the Lord? 1 Corinthians 9:1

JLB

So Paul is talking to the church of God at Corinth. 1 Cor. 1:2 This is why he said you are God's field, God's building. Paul didn't say you are my building.

I'd like to take this oportunity to thank Jesus Christ, The Father and The Holy Spirit for saving me, a sinner.

Well done. :salute

1 Corinthians 10:12-13 (LEB) Therefore, the one who thinks that he stands must watch out lest he fall. Temptation has not come upon you except what is common to humanity. But God is faithful, who will not permit you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but will also make a way out together with the temptation, so that you may be able to endure it.

Thank you for standing in my place. And for your faithfulness when I'm tempted think it's me standing tall.

Sorry. We don't build with people. We build with the word of God, and the building is our house. This is the spiritual truth.

What you're describing is a church, a gathering, an assembly of believers. No longer strangers but family. Assembling as a church each man is a living stone. The members of the church come together as one body. The church is built on the work of the apostles and the prophets preaching the word, Jesus Christ (the WORD) being the corner stone.

So Paul is talking to the church of God at Corinth. 1 Cor. 1:2 This is why he said you are God's field, God's building. Paul didn't say you are my building.

Paul said, you are my work in the Lord.

Paul said, you are God's building.

For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, you are God’s building. 1 Corinthians 3:9

Paul said, you are the Temple of God.

Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 1 Corinthians 3:16

Paul said, God will destroy those who defile the Temple.

If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are. 1 Corinthians 3:17

That's what I have said.

Do you believe that God will destroy people who defile His people [Temple]?

JLB

Sorry. We don't build with people. We build with the word of God, and the building is our house. This is the spiritual truth.

What do we build with the word of God?

JLB

Paul said, you are my work in the Lord.

Paul said, you are God's building.

Paul said, you are the Temple of God.

Paul said, God will destroy those who defile the Temple.

That's what I have said.

Do you believe that God will destroy people who defile His people [Temple]?

JLB

Did Paul say, 'you are my building'?

What do we build with the word of God?

JLB

We build our house. It's a spiritual house JLB You have a house. I have a house. Jesus said,

Luke 6:47-49Revised Standard Version (RSV)

47 Every one who comes to me and hears my words and does them, I will show you what he is like: 48 he is like a man building a house, who dug deep, and laid the foundation upon rock; and when a flood arose, the stream broke against that house, and could not shake it, because it had been well built.49 But he who hears and does not do them is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation; against which the stream broke, and immediately it fell, and the ruin of that house was great.”

We build our house. It's a spiritual house JLB You have a house. I have a house. Jesus said,

47 Every one who comes to me and hears my words and does them, I will show you what he is like: 48 he is like a man building a house, who dug deep, and laid the foundation upon rock; and when a flood arose, the stream broke against that house, and could not shake it, because it had been well built.49 But he who hears and does not do them is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation; against which the stream broke, and immediately it fell, and the ruin of that house was great.”

Where do you suppose the Corinthians, whom Paul wrote to, are going to hear the words of Christ from?

I will answer this question for you: From those whom Christ Jesus sent! Namely Paul, and also Apollos.

Your teaching seems to ignore what Paul wrote.

...we are God’s fellow workers
...you
are God’s building
... if anyone builds on this foundation

9 For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, you are God’s building. 10 According to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder I have laid the foundation, and another builds on it. But let each one take heed how he builds on it. 11 For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.12 Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, 13 each one’s work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one’s work, of what sort it is. 14 If anyone’s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. 15 If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire. 16 Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 17 If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are. 1 Corinthians 3:9-17

JLB

First of all, Jesus was speaking and teaching the people who came to Him, to hear:

That's the context... 27 “But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, Luke 6:27

Secondly, it was Jesus who sent [Apostle] his disciples to make disciples, teaching them what Jesus taught them.

18 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen. Matthew 28:18-20

Thirdly, it would have been better to include this verse in the scripture you quoted about us building our own house.

46 “But why do you call Me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do the things which I say? Luke 6:46

When we obey the Gospel, by confessing Jesus as Lord [Master] we now have an obligation to obey Him, in which as babes in Christ, we are to obey those He sent to build us up, and teach us truth.

How would the Church of Corinth "hear the sayings of Christ", if not through those whom Christ sent?

JLB

Where do you suppose the Corinthians, whom Paul wrote to, are going to hear the words of Christ from?

I will answer this question for you: From those whom Christ Jesus sent! Namely Paul, and also Apollos.

Your teaching seems to ignore what Paul wrote.

...we are God’s fellow workers
...you
are God’s building
... if anyone builds on this foundation

9 For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, you are God’s building. 10 According to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder I have laid the foundation, and another builds on it. But let each one take heed how he builds on it. 11 For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.12 Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, 13 each one’s work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one’s work, of what sort it is. 14 If anyone’s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. 15 If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire. 16 Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 17 If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are. 1 Corinthians 3:9-17

JLB

I'm not ignoring anything, and I fail to see your point. 1 Cor. 3:10-15 is about the gospel. Our work is what we build on the foundation.

Well we certainly know what the wages for sin is... it's death; eternal death, as opposed to eternal life.
Humanity is born into "eternal death", thanks to Adam and his imputed sin. Rom 5. The only antidote is God's solution to the state we all are born into: eternal life, which is in Jesus Christ, by faith in Him.

And Jesus promises that those He gives eternal life to will never perish. John 10:28. There is nothing in His promise about any kind of conditions for not perishing. Once a person receives eternal life, they are guaranteed that they will never perish.

If LOS doctrine were correct, Jesus would have had to promise something like this:
"To those I give eternal life, AND BEAR FRUIT AND NEVER CEASE TO BELIEVE, will never perish."

But guess what!? His promise is without exception. All who believe are given eternal life (Jn 5:24), and all who are given eternal life will never perish (Jn 10:28).

[edited]

who “will render to each one according to his deeds”: eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality; but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—indignation and wrath,
Those who continue to read in Romans, past 2:6-8, know that Paul taught that NO ONE will earn eternal life by keeping the law (doing good) because he wrote this:
"because by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified in His sight; for through the Law comes the knowledge of sin." Rom 3:20

Rom 3:20 PROVES that 2:6-8 is only theoretical. No one has or will fulfill those verses.

Last edited by a moderator:

How does you view, understand the phrase... God will destroy him, in conjunction with the fire that Paul describes.
I've already answered this question. Please read my posts instead of repeating questions.

Here is the wages for the deeds:

6 who “will render to each one according to his deeds”:7 eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality; 8 but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—indignation and wrath,

• Those Christians who will receive eternal life: ...who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality;
  • Those Christians who will receive God's wrath, as recompense for their evil deeds: to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—indignation and wrath.

JLB

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back