Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

What is the 'work' that may or may not get burned up in 1 Corinthians 3:8-16?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I've already answered this question. Please read my posts instead of repeating questions.

Go ahead and submit the post and post number where you answered this question, as I could not find it.

Here the question, with the relevant scripture:

15 If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.
16 Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 17 If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are. 1 Corinthians 3:15-17

How does you view, understand the phrase... God will destroy him, in conjunction with the fire that Paul describes.

JLB

Those who continue to read in Romans, past 2:6-8, know that Paul taught that NO ONE will earn eternal life by keeping the law (doing good) because he wrote this:
"because by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified in His sight; for through the Law comes the knowledge of sin." Rom 3:20

Rom 3:20 PROVES that 2:6-8 is only theoretical. No one has or will fulfill those verses.

Please post the scripture, that somehow erases, or over rules what Paul said here, about those who are paid for their deeds, whether evil or righteous.

6 who “will render to each one according to his deeds”:7 eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality; 8 but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—indignation and wrath,
Romans 2:6-8

Eternal Life: to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality;

Eternal damnation: to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness

JLB

Were you saved with or without hearing the Gospel?

JLB
With! I was saved by a gift of grace from The Word. Same as Paul was. Yes, I heard The Gospel spoken to me by The Holy Spirit. Same as the Corinthians.

1 Corinthians 2:4-5 (LEB) and my speech and my preaching were not with the persuasiveness of wisdom, but with a demonstration of the Spirit and power, in order that your faith would not be in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

I give thanks to God for saving me and confirming me to the end. Regardless of what others teach.

1 Corinthians 1:4-9 (LEB) I give thanks to my God always concerning you, because of the grace of God which was given to you in Christ Jesus, that in everything you were made rich in him, in all speech and all knowledge, just as the testimony about Christ has been confirmed in you, so that you do not lack in any spiritual gift as you eagerly await the revelation of our Lord Jesus Christ, who will also confirm you until the end, blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is faithful, by whom you were called to fellowship with his Son Jesus Christ our Lord.

God is faithful, man is not.

And yes, God will also confirm me until the end because He is powerful, not me.

My faith is in the power of God, not the wisdom of men (some of who build upon the Gospel Paul preached with stubble and hay teachings).

Where do you suppose the Corinthians, whom Paul wrote to, are going to hear the words of Christ from?

I will answer this question for you: From those whom Christ Jesus sent! Namely Paul, and also Apollos.

Good answer JLB. No one is arguing that the Corinthians didn't believe the word that was preached to them through his holy apostles.

Here is the wages for the deeds:

6 who “will render to each one according to his deeds”:7 eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality; 8 but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—indignation and wrath,

• Those Christians who will receive eternal life: ...who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality;
If eternal life is on the basis of "by patient continuance in doing good", then Christ died for NOTHING. That is patently heretical. Christ died for ALL sins for ALL humanity. Because all have sinned.
No one is saved or receives eternal life on the basis of "doing good". That is a works-salvation and will send all who believe in that to hell.

1 Tim 1:16 - Yet for this reason I found mercy, so that in me as the foremost, Jesus Christ might demonstrate His perfect patience as an example for those who would believe in Him for eternal life.

[edited]

Eternal life is on the basis of faith, not "continuance in doing good". No one does that. No one can do that.

For all have sinned. Rom 3:23

There are none that does good. Rom 3:12

All are under sin. Rom 3:9

Which is why Christ came to earth and died for our sins. We can't be good enough to earn eternal life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please post the scripture, that somehow erases, or over rules what Paul said here, about those who are paid for their deeds, whether evil or righteous.

Eternal Life: to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality;

Eternal damnation: to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness
JLB
This has been explained too many times for any excuse for not knowing what I've posted. See post #106 for the latest explanation.

That is a works-salvation and will send all who believe in that to hell.
Then you are actually non-OSAS despite your vehement claim to the contrary.
I see this often and it's actually why I started the thread about Galatians 5. People who are so adamant about OSAS will turn right around and warn you that you are lost if you go back to the law and away from Christ for justification, but in the next thread about OSAS they'll insist that you can not lose your salvation.

"...each will receive his own reward according to his own labor. 9For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, God’s building.

10According to the grace of God which was given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building on it. But each man must be careful how he builds on it. 11For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, 13each man’s work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man’s work. 14If any man’s work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. 15If any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

16Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 17If any man destroys the temple of God, God will destroy him, for the temple of God is holy, and that is what you are." (1 Corinthians 3:8-16 NASB)

Let's take this puppy apart and discern what each builder's work is that Paul says may or may not get burned up when the quality of that work is tested by fire. Lot's of questions to ask in this tiny piece of scripture.

What is God's building that God's fellow workers work on?
What is it's foundation?
Who laid it there in Corinth?
Who is building on it?
What is the fire that will test the quality of each man's work on the building, and what is the 'day' that reveals the outcome of the testing by fire?
works burnt up are things we do on our own . wood hay stubble represent works we do in the flesh . vain glory look what i did a house built upon the sand

works burnt up are things we do on our own . wood hay stubble represent works we do in the flesh . vain glory look what i did a house built upon the sand
But the foundation in all cases in the passage in the OP is Christ. And the work built on the one and only foundation of Christ (1 Corinthians 3:11 NASB), irregardless of whatever it really is, is what may or may not get burned up. You're mixing the use of metaphors. The foundation that Christ spoke of in Matthew 7:24-27 NASB is not Christ at all. So we know this isn't Paul simply restating the analogy about the house on the foundation of either rock or sand that Christ used in the gospels. This is about something else.

not really the true rock is Christ our true works are of Christ not of ourselves the things we do of our own is wood hay stubble a building material that will burn up. gold silver precious stones are material that have been through the fire. we certainly dont want to build w/o a good solid foundation . it all ties in together our spiritual house

This has been explained too many times for any excuse for not knowing what I've posted. See post #106 for the latest explanation.

Nothing of the sort has been explained, since there are no scriptures anywhere that can over rule what Paul so plainly said, in the beginning of His letter to the Romans.

Everything written after Romans 2, must be built upon this foundation of what Paul here in plain words for all to read.

6 who “will render to each one according to his deeds”:7 eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality; 8 but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—indignation and wrath, Romans 2:6-8

Romans 6:23 flows perfectly with it.

...you have your fruit to holiness, and the end, everlasting life.

For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 6:23

Christians who live a life of sin and disobedience will receive the wages for those deeds... Eternal death.

Christians who receive the gift of God and produce its fruit, which is righteousness and holiness, shall in the end receive, eternal life.

JLB

The work itself is people. This is an undeniable fact of scripture.

What we build with is silver, gold and precious things, or hay, wood and stubble.

For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, you are God’s building. 10 According to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder I have laid the foundation, and another builds on it. But let each one take heed how he builds on it. 11 For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.12 Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, 13 each one’s work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one’s work, of what sort it is. 14 If anyone’s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. 15 If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.16 Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 17 If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him. For the temple of God is holy, which temple you are. 1 Corinthians 3:9-17

and again

Am I not an apostle? Am I not free? Have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? Are you not my work in the Lord? 1 Corinthians 9:1

Here is the plain words of scripture.

If anyone defiles the temple of God, God will destroy him.

JLB

I'll give 2 posts: #24 and 25

Post 24 -

Good explanation! I view the works being burned up as any and all effort from human means, not divine means. The work that will be rewarded are the works done in the power of the Holy Spirit when one is being "filled with the Spirit" (Eph 5:18) and "walking by means of the Holy Spirit" (Gal 5:16).

Those who grieve (Eph 4:30) or quench (1 Thess 5:19) the Spirit when doing works will see their works being burned up on That Day.

However, from all the posts in the currently closed thread on ES vs LOS, by those who believe that salvation can be lost, LOS doctrine seems to have no room in its theology for fellowship with the Holy Spirit.

Which probably explains LOS doctrine's view that works = people in 1 Cor 3:14,15.

This post offers no explanation as to why Paul would write these words warning the Church at Rome that the recompense they can expect to receive for deeds is:

• Those Christians who will receive eternal life: ...who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality;
  • Those Christians who will receive God's wrath, as recompense for their evil deeds: to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—indignation and wrath.
Here is a plain and clear explanation, from Paul about who will receive eternal life, and who will receive God's wrath.

This is just exactly what Paul warns us in Romans 6:23

For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

JLB

Post 25 -

So, trying to make (prove?) a point by citing a fictitious science FICTION movie??

In the Bible, when "work" is mentioned, it always refers to the work done by people. Just saying that 1 Cor 3:14,15 is about people, yet without any kind of evidence or support from Scripture, is only an opinion.

We all have opinions about many things, but when it comes to the Bible, the ONLY guide is what Scripture says, and how Scripture defines itself.

No different than Paul writing that God's gifts are irrevocable in Rom 11:29, and previous to that within the context of that epistle described 3 different gifts of God. Paul already defined what he was thinking about regarding "God's gifts" when he wrote 11:29. So we let Scripture define Scripture.

And no where does Scripture define "works" as "people". Works are done BY people, but works aren't people.

Bringing some lighthearted humor to the thread.

or

see above post

This post offers no explanation as to why Paul would write these words warning the Church at Rome that the recompense they can expect to receive for deeds is:

• Those Christians who will receive God's wrath, as recompense for their evil deeds: to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—indignation and wrath.
Here is a plain and clear explanation, from Paul about who will receive eternal life, and who will receive God's wrath.

For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

JLB

I said this:
"That is a works-salvation and will send all who believe in that to hell."
Then you are actually non-OSAS despite your vehement claim to the contrary.
I have no idea how anyone could come to this conclusion. My statement was a description of how I see LOS doctrine. It's certainly not mine.

I see this often and it's actually why I started the thread about Galatians 5. People who are so adamant about OSAS will turn right around and warn you that you are lost if you go back to the law and away from Christ for justification, but in the next thread about OSAS they'll insist that you can not lose your salvation.
And I've never said any such thing. My view is ES all the way.

Once belief, always justified, always saved, always forgiven, always adopted as sons.

I hope that is clear enough about my view.

I said this:
"This has been explained too many times for any excuse for not knowing what I've posted. See post #106 for the latest explanation."
Nothing of the sort has been explained, since there are no scriptures anywhere that can over rule what Paul so plainly said, in the beginning of His letter to the Romans.
The explanation is there for all to see.

Everything written after Romans 2, must be built upon this foundation of what Paul here in plain words for all to read.

6 who “will render to each one according to his deeds”:7 eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality; 8 but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—indignation and wrath, Romans 2:6-8
I'll explain this once more as clear as possible: Paul is simply stating that if anyone perfectly obeyed the law, by patiently persisting in doing good, then eternal life could be earned. cf 2:13.

Unfortunately, Paul states later no one CAN accomplish such a feat: "there is NONE righteous, no, not one...none who seeks after God". 3:10-11 He then continues in 3:20 to very plainly say: "because by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified in His sight; for through the Law comes the knowledge of sin." 3:20

iow, 2:6-8 is negated as a possibility by 3:20. How can anyone make this any more clear?

Does 3:20 have no effect upon your views at all??

Christians who receive the gift of God and produce its fruit, which is righteousness and holiness, shall in the end receive, eternal life.
JLB
This sounds as though one is saved by producing fruit. Still a works salvation system, and in contradistinction to Scripture, as previously proven from Eph 2:8,9. We are saved by faith, not by works.

The work itself is people. This is an undeniable fact of scripture.

What we build with is silver, gold and precious things, or hay, wood and stubble.
So it seems you're saying that we build people (the work) with silver, gold, precious things, or hay, wood and stubble then. That sure sounds like man made idols to me.

Post 24 -

JLB
See #118

I have no idea how anyone could come to this conclusion. My statement was a description of how I see LOS doctrine. It's certainly not mine.

Can a Christian who reverts to the law of Moses, after being saved by grace, through false teaching [hay, stubble, wood] cause a person to "turn away" from God to another Gospel.

Absolutely yes, this is exactly what Paul battled against, and called it another Gospel.

Those same Christians who were saved by grace, then who were taught that they must also keep the law of Moses and become circumcised, are said to have fallen from grace, as Christ no longer profits you.

Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing.3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law. 4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace. Galatians 5:2-4

Those who were saved by grace and turn to the law and become circumcised, then turn around and teach other Christians this wicked doctrine and now cursed, and are now obligated to keep all the law, having turned to another Gospel.

6 I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel, 7 which is not another; but there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed.9 As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed. Galatians 1:6-9

Here is how Jesus defined what it means to be cursed:

‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: Matthew 25:41

Cursed = cast into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels

JLB

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back