Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

When did the Law pass or has it passed away?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
1Jo 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
1Jo 1:8 ¶ If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
1Jo 2:1 ¶ My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
1Jo 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God

The flesh is always under law, the spirit is free from the law and is forever righteous.

1Ti 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory

1Jo 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
1Jo 1:8 ¶ If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
1Jo 2:1 ¶ My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
1Jo 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God

The flesh is always under law, the spirit is free from the law and is forever righteous.

1Ti 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory

George Muller:

John 1.4-5 also: 'In Him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.'

George Muller:

John 1.4-5 also: 'In Him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.'

Ro 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

It makes more sense to me that that the construction of the Ark, and the things in the Ark are what illustrate the Ark being a picture of Jesus. He has the law of God in him. He is the manna sent down from heaven. He has the authority of God in him. He dwells in the inner sanctuary of the Temple, the body of the believer. And he is the place, the mediator, between heaven and earth, where God meets man, and where sin is atoned for.

He is the Word of God that was rejected.

He is the Bread of Life that was rejected.

He is God's High Priest that was rejected.

JLB

And so it is that Christ satisfied and upheld the requirements of the shadows, not abolished them. And because he did that, they can now 'disappear'. Jesus said that could/would not happen until the fulfillment happened--the thing he said he did come to do, not abolish them.

There is no "requirements" of the shadows. He is the fulfillment of what the shadows and types pointed to.

"Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. This is a reference to the whole Old Testament, not just the law of Moses.

JLB

And so it is that Christ satisfied and upheld the requirements of the shadows, not abolished them. And because he did that, they can now 'disappear'. Jesus said that could/would not happen until the fulfillment happened--the thing he said he did come to do, not abolish them.

There is no "requirements" of the shadows. He is the fulfillment of what the shadows and types pointed to.

"Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. This is a reference to the whole Old Testament, not just the law of Moses.

JLB
Which brings us back to this: fulfillment is not abolishment. When a law is satisfied it is laid aside, not abolished. For example, the law to drive 70 miles per hour or less is not abolished just because my car will only go 55 (downhill...with a stiff back wind, lol). It is laid aside as being inapplicable to me.

JLB
Which brings us back to this: fulfillment is not abolishment. When a law is satisfied it is laid aside, not abolished. For example, the law to drive 70 miles per hour or less is not abolished just because my car will only go 55 (downhill...with a stiff back wind, lol). It is laid aside as being inapplicable to me.

I think a better analogy would be that one must stop at a stop sign. There are no stop signs on Interstate Highways. Can we apply the stop sign law on Interstates? No. Is the stop sign law still there and in effect on primary roads? Yes. It is not laid aside, it is not applicable under certain conditions.

JLB

Where is the word abolished in these scriptures I quoted.

1. He takes away the first that He may establish the second. Hebrews 10:9
  2. For on the one hand there is an annulling of the former commandment because of its weakness and unprofitableness, Hebrews 7:18
  3. In that He says, "A new covenant," He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away. Hebrews 8:13
  4. concerned only with foods and drinks, various washings, and fleshly ordinances imposed until the time of reformation. Hebrews 9:10

Annulled

Taken away
vanished away
imposed until...

Why do you ignore these scriptures.

The Covenant at Sinai with it's applicable laws has vanished away, has been taken away, was imposed until...

Do you agree with what these scriptures teach?

If not, please explain why.

JLB

2. For on the one hand there is an annulling of the former commandment because of its weakness and unprofitableness, Hebrews 7:18
  3. In that He says, "A new covenant," He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away. Hebrews 8:13
  4. concerned only with foods and drinks, various washings, and fleshly ordinances imposed until the time of reformation. Hebrews 9:10

Annulled

Taken away
vanished away
imposed until...

The Covenant at Sinai with it's applicable laws has vanished away, has been taken away, was imposed until...

JLB

1) Heb 10:9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.

What was the first He took away?

2) Heb 7:18 For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof.

What was the former commandment He annulled?

3) Heb 8:13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

Explain what 'ready to' means.

4) Heb 9:10 Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation.

What carnal (means fleshly, not particularly bad or good, just physical, fleshly as opposed to spiritual) ordinances were imposed on them?

How about answering these questions and show us what you think they mean.

Last edited by a moderator:

Annulled

Taken away
vanished away
imposed until...

JLB

1) Heb 10:9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.

2) Heb 7:18 For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof.

3) Heb 8:13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

4) Heb 9:10 Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation.

What carnal (means fleshly, not particularly bad or good, just physical, fleshly as opposed to spiritual) ordinances were imposed on them?

Just as soon as you answer mine -

You never would continue is this discussion, you have just kept asking more and more questions, but choose to ignore mine.

This is where we left off with this discussion of Colossians 2.

You were just about to show me where in the Law of Moses, where it says that the requirements of Moses Law was applicable to Gentiles living in their own country -

16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, 17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ. 18 Let no one cheat you of your reward, taking delight in false humility and worship of angels, intruding into those things which he has not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind, 19 and not holding fast to the Head, from whom all the body, nourished and knit together by joints and ligaments, grows with the increase that is from God. 20 Therefore, if you died with Christ from the basic principles of the world, why, as though living in the world, do you subject yourselves to regulations-- 21 "Do not touch, do not taste, do not handle," 22 which all concern things which perish with the using--according to the commandments and doctrines of men? 23 These things indeed have an appearance of wisdom in self-imposed religion, false humility, and neglect of the body, but are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh.

You stated -

Don't let anybody condemn you for keeping the Sabbath. How does this get twisted around to condemning the Sabbath?

I answered -

Jews sent out from Jerusalem were specifically sent behind Paul to try and bring Gentiles believers into bondage by persuading them to "be circumcised and keep the Law of Moses" which was never of any use to Gentiles living "outside" the covenant land where these Laws were mandated.

The Law of Moses portrayed a shadow, the substance was Christ. End of shadow!

These Jews who were trying to bring condemnation on Gentile Christians because they were not keeping the feast's, nor Sabbath's [plural] nor were they adhering to Mosaic food laws. For good reason, Paul taught them well. These things are of no use to restrain the indulgence of the flesh.

Don't touch this or don't eat that or don't wear mixed clothing or you must keep this feast day... are all Moses Law requirements that were never intended for gentiles that live in other countries.

To say otherwise, is to simply display a lack of understanding.

Now if you can show me in the law of Moses where Gentiles who dwell in other countries were to keep Moses Law, then I will be the one twisting God's word.

If not, then you will be the one guilty of twisting God's word.

Please answer my question, before you ask me any more.

JLB

Annulled

Taken away
vanished away
imposed until...

JLB

Just as soon as you answer mine -

Hmmm, now there is a surprise.

You never would continue is this discussion, you have just kept asking more and more questions, but choose to ignore mine.

Actually, I beat that subject to oblivion, but I did not give the answers you wanted to hear.

This is where we left off with this discussion of Colossians 2.

You were just about to show me where in the Law of Moses, where it says that the requirements of Moses Law was applicable to Gentiles living in their own country -

Feast days...

1Co 5:8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

Here Paul is instructing a gentile church living in Greece to keep the Days of Unleavened Bread.

Sabbath...

Act 13:42 And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.

Act 16:13 And on the sabbath we went out of the city by a river side, where prayer was wont to be made; and we sat down, and spake unto the women which resorted thither.

Act 17:2 And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,

Now why didn't he set them straight? Why is there no where in the N.T. the statement, "The Sabbath is no longer in effect, the day of worship is Sunday."?

Cricumsicion brought about a church conference that involved the top leadership of the N.T. church. Why was the Sabbath question never raised? There is not a blip in the N.T. about the Sabbath being done away. There is a command to keep the Sabbath...

Diaglott...

Heb 4:9 Therefore remains a keeping of a sabbath for the people of the God.

Heb 4:9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.

rest:

G4520
σαββατισμός
sabbatismos
Thayer Definition:
1) a keeping sabbath
2) the blessed rest from toils and troubles looked for in the age to come by the true worshippers of God and true Christians
Part of Speech: noun masculine
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: from a derivative of G4521
Citing in TDNT: 7:34, 989

Clean and unclean...

1Ti 4:3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

What meats were created by God to be received? Noah knew at the time of the flood...

Gen 7:2 Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female.

1Ti 4:4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
1Ti 4:5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

And what is sanctified by the Word of God? From Thayer's lexicon...

sanctified:

G37
ἁγιάζω
hagiazō
Thayer Definition:
1) to render or acknowledge, or to be venerable or hallow
2) to separate from profane things and dedicate to God
2a) consecrate things to God
2b) dedicate people to God
3) to purify
3a) to cleanse externally
3b) to purify by expiation: free from the guilt of sin
3c) to purify internally by renewing of the soul
Part of Speech: verb
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: from G40
Citing in TDNT: 1:111, 14

What is set apart, sanctified by the Word of God? Lev 11 and Deut 14.

You have some questions about whether killing is OK for gentiles? Adultery? Lying?

16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, 17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ.
18 Let no one cheat you of your reward, taking delight in false humility and worship of angels, intruding into those things which he has not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind, 19 and not holding fast to the Head, from whom all the body, nourished and knit together by joints and ligaments, grows with the increase that is from God. 20 Therefore, if you died with Christ from the basic principles of the world, why, as though living in the world, do you subject yourselves to regulations-- 21 "Do not touch, do not taste, do not handle," 22 which all concern things which perish with the using--according to the commandments and doctrines of men? 23 These things indeed have an appearance of wisdom in self-imposed religion, false humility, and neglect of the body, but are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh.

You stated -

Don't let anybody condemn you for keeping the Sabbath. How does this get twisted around to condemning the Sabbath?

I answered -

Jews sent out from Jerusalem were specifically sent behind Paul to try and bring Gentiles believers into bondage by persuading them to "be circumcised and keep the Law of Moses" which was never of any use to Gentiles living "outside" the covenant land where these Laws were mandated.

The Law of Moses portrayed a shadow, the substance was Christ. End of shadow!

It says not to let anyone judge you for KEEPING these things. How is it you read it to say that these things are done away?

They are a shadow of things YET TO COME. Future events. This was written twenty some years AFTER the crucifixion and it is written in the future tense. You insist on reading it as if it were past.

So all concerning Christ is fulfilled? You are a full Preterist?

These Jews who were trying to bring condemnation on Gentile Christians because they were not keeping the feast's, nor Sabbath's [plural] nor were they adhering to Mosaic food laws. For good reason, Paul taught them well. These things are of no use to restrain the indulgence of the flesh.

And what are the Laws of Moses that were not to be applied? I have used the stop sign analogy before, but here it goes again...

Should you stop at a stop sign? Yes. Are they stop signs on an Interstate Highway? No. Can you apply the stop sign law to the Interstates? No. Can you apply the ceremonial laws of the Temple to Christians? No. This is the subject matter of the book of Hebrews. Are there laws that do apply? Yes. Clean and unclean is not a ceremonial law. Does it apply today? Yes. Does the Sabbath apply today? Yes, just as much as the other nine do. If one is not applicable, why are any of the others? The Sabbath predates Moses. Are there Laws that are not applied today? Yes, the ceremonial Laws.

OK, do the sacrificial Laws apply today? Yes, emphatically. Again the book of Hebrews explains that the sacrifice of Christ replaces the animal sacrifices. If the sacrifice of Christ is not applied to one, then that person is still cut off from God and under the death penalty...

Rom 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
Rom 5:9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
Rom 5:10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

So, if you wish not to be under the sacrificial Laws, that is between you and God, but remember what the penalty for unremitted sin is...

Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Don't touch this or don't eat that or don't wear mixed clothing or you must keep this feast day... are all Moses Law requirements that were never intended for gentiles that live in other countries.

To say otherwise, is to simply display a lack of understanding.

Now if you can show me in the law of Moses where Gentiles who dwell in other countries were to keep Moses Law, then I will be the one twisting God's word.

If not, then you will be the one guilty of twisting God's word.

Please answer my question, before you ask me any more.

JLB

And again, verse lifted out of context...

Col 2:18 Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,

Isn't a voluntary humility an oxymoron? The continuation of the verse shows it is pride. Where oh where does the Law instruct us to worship angels?

Mat 4:10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

Col 2:19 And not holding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God.
Col 2:20 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,
Col 2:21 (Touch not; taste not; handle not;

Ordinance of the world? What Laws of God or Moses are rudiments of the world?

From Albert Barnes...

Colossians 2:20

Wherefore - In view of all that has been said. If it be true that you are really dead to the world, why do you act as if you still lived under the principles of the world?
If ye be dead with Christ - If you are dead to the world in virtue of his death. The apostle here, as elsewhere, speaks of a very close union with Christ. We died with him; that is, such was the efficacy of his death, and such is our union with him, that we became dead also to the world; Notes, Rom_6:2, note, 4, note, 8, note, 11, note.
From the rudiments of the world - Margin, “elements.” The elements or principles which are of a worldly nature, and which reign among worldly men; see the notes at Gal_4:3.
Why, as though living in the world - Why do you allow them to influence you, as though you were living and acting under those worldly principles? They ought no more to do it, than the things of this world influence those who are in their graves.
Are ye subject to ordinances - The rites and ceremonies of the Jewish religion; see the notes at Gal_5:1-4.

Col 2:22 Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men?

Oh, so now the Laws of God are the commandments of men? Here is what Paul is referring to...

Mar 7:1 Then came together unto him the Pharisees, and certain of the scribes, which came from Jerusalem.
Mar 7:2 And when they saw some of his disciples eat bread with defiled, that is to say, with unwashen, hands, they found fault.
Mar 7:3 For the Pharisees, and all the Jews, except they wash their hands oft, eat not, holding the tradition of the elders.
Mar 7:4 And when they come from the market, except they wash, they eat not. And many other things there be, which they have received to hold, as the washing of cups, and pots, brasen vessels, and of tables.
Mar 7:5 Then the Pharisees and scribes asked him, Why walk not thy disciples according to the tradition of the elders, but eat bread with unwashen hands?
Mar 7:6 He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.
Mar 7:7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
Mar 7:8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.

Laying aside the Commandments of God for traditions of men.

Col 2:23 Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.

Ascetism.

I am assuming this answers your questions?

Actually, I beat that subject to oblivion, but I did not give the answers you wanted to hear.
Edited just a scripture.

A scripture from the Law of Moses that imposed that law on Gentiles while living in the own country.

You of course couldn't.

JLB

while living in the own country

Because you constructed a proviso that is not included in the bible. What about strangers who are found "in the gate" or those who are spiritually grafted into the tree as a branch? These are the ones that the Bible speaks about when we are told there is no difference between Jew or Gentile (because it is implied, no difference between Christian Jewish Believers and Christian Gentile Believers) because we share the life that is in the blood.

Your "in their own country" implies that "they" are non-believers and not members of the Family of God.

Hebrews was written about one - five years before the destruction of the temple, 70AD. Until this happened they (the Jews) continued in the fleshy things of the Law. Jesus had already fulfilled all of it. He is the High Priest. All of Hebrews is pointing to this.
When the temple was destroyed the vanishing was complete.

Do not return to the temple, stand strong in your new faith in the blood of Christ. Do not "fall from grace". All grace comes from the shed blood of Christ.

This is my understanding of the "vanishing away".

It's interesting that the time between Pentecost and the 70AD is about 40 yrs. I think this coincides with the 40 yrs. in the desert. 40 yrs. to get the Egypt out of them, 40 yrs. to get the temple out of them.

In reality, ALL nations will be subject to the Law at the time of the Kingdom being set up on earth...

Isa 2:1 The word that Isaiah the son of Amoz saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem.
Isa 2:2 And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the LORD'S house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.
Isa 2:3 And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.

Jer 31:31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
Jer 31:32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
Jer 31:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
Jer 31:34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

Hmmm, gentiles not invited? Sure they are, they are invited to be grafted in to Israel.

Keep the Sabbath?

Isa 66:23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.
Isa 66:24 And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.

All flesh? Not just Jewish flesh? How about keeping the Holy Days?

Zec 14:16 And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles.

The Feast of WHAT?

So when Christ said...

Mal 3:6 For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

and

Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

and

Mat 19:17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
Mat 19:18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
Mat 19:19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

He was only joking?

Again, the old stop sign analogy, there are Laws that can not be applied. There are Laws that have a N.T. application.

Are you circumcised? You need to be!

Col 2:11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:

Rom 2:28 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:
Rom 2:29 But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

Oh my, the horrible implications of that. If you are circumcised in the heart, you are a spiritual Jew.

Another Law that was NOT done away.

Hebrews was written about one - five years before the destruction of the temple, 70AD. Until this happened they (the Jews) continued in the fleshy things of the Law. Jesus had already fulfilled all of it. He is the High Priest. All of Hebrews is pointing to this.

Do not return to the temple, stand strong in your new faith in the blood of Christ. Do not "fall from grace". All grace comes from the shed blood of Christ.

It's interesting that the time between Pentecost and the 70AD is about 40 yrs. I think this coincides with the 40 yrs. in the desert. 40 yrs. to get the Egypt out of them, 40 yrs. to get the temple out of them.

If you read the book of Hebrews carefully, you will find that much of it is about the change in the Priesthood from the Levitical to the Melchisidec and all of the ramifications. The Old Covenant was the agreement between Israel and God that did not promise eternal life, but rather it promised wonderful blessings for letter of the Law obedience. It was a type and a shadow of the New Covenant which promises greater blessings for the spirit of the Law obedience.

If you read the book of Hebrews carefully, you will find that much of it is about the change in the Priesthood from the Levitical to the Melchisidec and all of the ramifications.

Oh I have read it very carefully. I don't see where this statement says anything different than what I said. Jesus the High Priest.

The Old Covenant was the agreement between Israel and God that did not promise eternal life, but rather it promised wonderful blessings for letter of the Law obedience.

I believe that there were those who understood that there was something beyond this earthly life.
For those in the OT, who were lead by the Spirit, those who sought the face and heart of God, they knew they serviced a merciful God, I see grace and faith in the OT. I refer you to Psalms 23. "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord, forever.
David understood.

Blessings for obedience are also written in the New Covenant. We get blessed a lot even when we mess up, just as they did.

Hebrews may have been written perhaps 7yrs before the destruction of the temple, yet I agree with your post as it was the destruction of the 2nd temple which exposed to the world the weakness and unprofitableness of obedience without grace. Faith in law is faith misplaced; our faith is in God.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back