Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Where are the miracles?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
We are not sure you answered the question. Water Baptism for the Remission of Sins is John's Baptism and John is a Levite.

Is the Water Baptism in Christendom, shown in video, for Remission of Sins a Levite Practice?

Chicago Baptism 01/16/2021
It's roots lie in Levite practice, but it is distinct from John's Baptism in that we are Baptized in the name of the Father, SON and HOLY GHOST. We are now under Christ's administration of the Kingdom and are Baptized as such. The Temple crowd apparently baptized in an exclusive manner. The Essenes, even though an apparent distinct sect separate from the Temple, also were apparently rather exclusive regarding Baptism. John brought Baptism to the Jewish people. Christ brought Baptism to all humanity (with Himself as High Priest and the Holy Spirit to help us).
Short answer....no. We have a new Testament/High Priest and therefore a new Baptism.

It's roots lie in Levite practice, but it is distinct from John's Baptism in that we are Baptized in the name of the Father, SON and HOLY GHOST. We are now under Christ's administration of the Kingdom and are Baptized as such. The Temple crowd apparently baptized in an exclusive manner. The Essenes, even though an apparent distinct sect separate from the Temple, also were apparently rather exclusive regarding Baptism. John brought Baptism to the Jewish people. Christ brought Baptism to all humanity (with Himself as High Priest and the Holy Spirit to help us).
Short answer....no. We have a new Testament/High Priest and therefore a new Baptism.

Are you saying that in Christendom John's Water Baptism for the Remission of Sins is obsolete? From what I've read, been informed that the Early Church writings appear to view immersion in water as inconsequential.

We heard that the Essenes were/are Ascetics that did/do daily immersion.

Are you saying that in Christendom John's Water Baptism for the Remission of Sins is obsolete? From what I've read, been informed that the Early Church writings appear to view immersion in water as inconsequential.

We heard that the Essenes were/are Ascetics that did/do daily immersion.
My observation/opinion is that John's Baptism was not Christian as Christ was not yet crucified. Part of John's paving the way for Christ was taking Baptism outside the Temple to the Jewish people. Christ took it to the Gentiles as well. I was compelled by the Holy Spirit to water Baptism. This began a journey to obedience to my Lord. My opinion is that anyone who is compelled to be Baptized under Christ should do so. I do not believe people should pressure others to be Baptized as it will be for the wrong reasons. I believe you can be saved without water baptism, but I believe it is a primary expression of obedience to the Lord. In my walk it was crucial to beginning the journey to obedience. I do not believe others should deny Baptism to those wishing to be baptized. It is an act of a very personal relationship with the Lord each individual must work through. I do not believe in infant/child baptism. OK I've babbled enough. No, I don't believe today's Baptism under Christ is inconsequential.

My observation/opinion is that John's Baptism was not Christian as Christ was not yet crucified. Part of John's paving the way for Christ was taking Baptism outside the Temple to the Jewish people. Christ took it to the Gentiles as well. I was compelled by the Holy Spirit to water Baptism. This began a journey to obedience to my Lord. My opinion is that anyone who is compelled to be Baptized under Christ should do so. I do not believe people should pressure others to be Baptized as it will be for the wrong reasons. I believe you can be saved without water baptism, but I believe it is a primary expression of obedience to the Lord. In my walk it was crucial to beginning the journey to obedience. I do not believe others should deny Baptism to those wishing to be baptized. It is an act of a very personal relationship with the Lord each individual must work through. I do not believe in infant/child baptism. OK I've babbled enough. No, I don't believe today's Baptism under Christ is inconsequential.

What I don't get is...if our baptism is unto Christ, then why did Jesus Himself get baptized? I mean, He is our redeemer so wouldn't our baptism be unto the world that we openly acknowledge Christ and follow His ways? That could explain why Jesus got baptized. As a model and example to the world...?

But baptism can't be a strict requirement because Jesus saved one of the thieves crucified next to Him. He wasn't baptized. Although I have been baptized and agree it is good to do and an act of obedience to our Lord. No doubt there. Salvation is a free gift but we will be judged at the Bema seat on our acts and behavior to others. Acts of charity and helping the needy and so forth. It is all those things which get considered into our rewards in heaven. Build up your treasures in Heaven it says.

Off topic a wee bit, but I pondered that before. I actually do not know what my calling is. And that just bugs me to no end! I feel as if I should know. So what to do? I think the safest thing to do is to continue to walk in love towards my neighbor and do every act of charity and helping that I can think of in the mean time. That is a safe place to be I think for those who know not their calling or do not feel any anointing to anything specific.,

What I don't get is...if our baptism is unto Christ, then why did Jesus Himself get baptized? I mean, He is our redeemer so wouldn't our baptism be unto the world that we openly acknowledge Christ and follow His ways? That could explain why Jesus got baptized. As a model and example to the world...?

But baptism can't be a strict requirement because Jesus saved one of the thieves crucified next to Him. He wasn't baptized. Although I have been baptized and agree it is good to do and an act of obedience to our Lord. No doubt there. Salvation is a free gift but we will be judged at the Bema seat on our acts and behavior to others. Acts of charity and helping the needy and so forth. It is all those things which get considered into our rewards in heaven. Build up your treasures in Heaven it says.

Off topic a wee bit, but I pondered that before. I actually do not know what my calling is. And that just bugs me to no end! I feel as if I should know. So what to do? I think the safest thing to do is to continue to walk in love towards my neighbor and do every act of charity and helping that I can think of in the mean time. That is a safe place to be I think for those who know not their calling or do not feel any anointing to anything specific.,

Christ was baptized not because he needed to be, but because we needed to be. He sanctified the waters of the earth by his immersion into the Jordan, a sanctification confirmed by the Spirit’s presence and the Father’s voice when he emerged from the same. John had baptized in the Jordan to prepare the people for his coming, a natural disposition that would open them up to grace. Jesus's baptism in the Jordan made its waters and all the waters of the world a conduit of the grace that has its source in Jesus himself.

As for the Good Thief not being baptized, he most definitely would have been baptized, had he not been hanging on a cross. Baptism is the normative path to enter the Kingdom of God, not the absolute. Circumstances affect man, not God. What the Good Thief had was properly called baptismus flaminisa, or the desire for baptism. Baptism is necessary to enter the Kingdom of God, necessary for everlasting life and necessary for the remission of sins. If one desires these things, they desire baptism and only circumstances will keep them from baptism.

I agree. Baptism is not necessary for salvation. Why did Jesus get Baptized? I think excavation is showing Baptism originated as a Temple establishment thing. Whatever the religious necessity for it for Jews at that time is still open to argument/research. But, I do believe Jesus was Baptized as a Jew, by a Jew in Jewish Temple tradition. In my mind, I think it very well was a Temple "priestly" practice. Therefore Christ was baptized into that priesthood. John thought it good and right to baptize all repentant Jews (a sign of things to come?) Now we are all baptized into that priesthood under our Lord the High Priest. These are my thoughts/opinions/observations.

Christ was baptized not because he needed to be, but because we needed to be. He sanctified the waters of the earth by his immersion into the Jordan, a sanctification confirmed by the Spirit’s presence and the Father’s voice when he emerged from the same. John had baptized in the Jordan to prepare the people for his coming, a natural disposition that would open them up to grace. Jesus's baptism in the Jordan made its waters and all the waters of the world a conduit of the grace that has its source in Jesus himself.

As for the Good Thief not being baptized, he most definitely would have been baptized, had he not been hanging on a cross. Baptism is the normative path to enter the Kingdom of God, not the absolute. Circumstances affect man, not God. What the Good Thief had was properly called baptismus flaminisa, or the desire for baptism. Baptism is necessary to enter the Kingdom of God, necessary for everlasting life and necessary for the remission of sins. If one desires these things, they desire baptism and only circumstances will keep them from baptism.
I do agree that, eventually, each believer will be called by God to Baptism.

I do agree that, eventually, each believer will be called by God to Baptism.

And you know what else?! He talks about the Baptism with fire and with the Holy Ghost. I am not positive if I've been baptized by the Holy Spirit. I've been told that I must have been because I spoke in tongues once involuntarily and it was quite the experience but...how does one know for sure if they've been Baptized by the Holy Spirit?

And you know what else?! He talks about the Baptism with fire and with the Holy Ghost. I am not positive if I've been baptized by the Holy Spirit. I've been told that I must have been because I spoke in tongues once involuntarily and it was quite the experience but...how does one know for sure if they've been Baptized by the Holy Spirit?
My observations are that you have.

John baptisef the Jews into repentance. He was executed and that baptism ended. The apostles baptised after that in the name of The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit.
When both the Jews and Gentiles received The Holy the Jews were amazed. The gentiles then wanted to be baptised. Peter said how could they refuse when they had witnessed them receive The Holy Spirit. They baptised them, so it is not just for the Jews. They received The Holy Spirit first, so baptism is not a necessity for receiving The Holy Spirit. I think of it as a witness of repentance and belief in Jesus Christ, and something we were told to do by Christ.
Some people may not be physically able to receive baptism but would want to. Baptism of desire.

John 1:19-20 King James Version

19 And this is the record of John, when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, Who art thou?

20 And he confessed, and denied not; but confessed, I am not the Christ.

You must do exactly and painstakingly as Elohim/God demands to be True Disciple and Victorious. We agree with Yeshua/Jesus, Lawgivers, Prophets, Disciples and Apostles and totally reject the notion of personal opinions. John confessed that he is not the Messiah/Christ. Is John's Baptism Under the Law?

Luke 1:15 King James Version

15 For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.

This is a great and very important question: "how does one know for sure if they've been Baptized by the Holy Spirit?"

You have to be certain about what the Holy Spirit is to recognise it has manifested. John was filled with the Holy Spirit.

John 1:19-20 King James Version

19 And this is the record of John, when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, Who art thou?

20 And he confessed, and denied not; but confessed, I am not the Christ.

You must do exactly and painstakingly as Elohim/God demands to be True Disciple and Victorious. We agree with Yeshua/Jesus, Lawgivers, Prophets, Disciples and Apostles and totally reject the notion of personal opinions. John confessed that he is not the Messiah/Christ. Is John's Baptism Under the Law?
And so when do you plan to go into the wilderness and fast for forty days? When do you plan to be crucified? I believe that when you say we must do exactly as Jesus did is only your opinion as well. Was John's baptism under the Law? It must have been. Jesus was the perfect Jew under the Law and was baptized by John, a Jew. Even though this was done outside the Temple and without the Temple crowd's approval, Jesus was found without sin. My opinion/thoughts/observations.
When you say we must do "exactly" as Christ commands then exactly and I mean EXACTLY where in the Word does Christ tell us to GO to the Jordan to be Baptized. As you say "no opinions".

And so when do you plan to go into the wilderness and fast for forty days? When do you plan to be crucified? I believe that when you say we must do exactly as Jesus did is only your opinion as well. Was John's baptism under the Law? It must have been. Jesus was the perfect Jew under the Law and was baptized by John, a Jew. Even though this was done outside the Temple and without the Temple crowd's approval, Jesus was found without sin. My opinion/thoughts/observations.
When you say we must do "exactly" as Christ commands then exactly and I mean EXACTLY where in the Word does Christ tell us to GO to the Jordan to be Baptized. As you say "no opinions".

Good questions.

1) Yes. Has any member on these forums attempted a 40 days Dry Fast? Apparently, a member on another forum documents this fast: https://www.christianforums.com/blogs/my-40-day-40-night-dry-fast-day-1-night-0.58843/ The general advice is that it's dangerous. You should prepare the Spirit, Mind and Body for such a fast little by little.

2) Yes. True Disciples pick up their cross and follow him to be Crucified.

3) Yes. John's Baptism is Under the Law. This means that we must do works Under the Law.

4) Yeshua/Jesus teaches by what he does and speaks.

The Bible is full of extraordinary events. People were raised from the dead, seas were parted, water turned into wine. Where are the miracles of today? Where is God in modern times?
The miracles that you mentioned in the Bible were for a specific purpose. The miracles of Jesus were to prove who He was. God also performed miracles via the apostles to validate their message. The miraculous gifts were given as signs. For instance, tongues was a sign for Israel. Had the leaders understood the sign they would have seen their coming destructiom.

Good questions.

1) Yes. Has any member on these forums attempted a 40 days Dry Fast? Apparently, a member on another forum documents this fast: https://www.christianforums.com/blogs/my-40-day-40-night-dry-fast-day-1-night-0.58843/ The general advice is that it's dangerous. You should prepare the Spirit, Mind and Body for such a fast little by little.

2) Yes. True Disciples pick up their cross and follow him to be Crucified.

3) Yes. John's Baptism is Under the Law. This means that we must do works Under the Law.

4) Yeshua/Jesus teaches by what he does and speaks.
You stated your opinions when you said "no opinions" so how do you reconcile this? Only your opinions matter?

You stated your opinions when you said "no opinions" so how do you reconcile this? Only your opinions matter?

Acts 5:29 King James Version

29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

Again, we don't have any private opinions. What we posted is the teachings of Yeshua/Jesus, Lawgivers, Prophets, Disciples and Apostles. Apparently, from your perspective you see differently. We agree with for_his_glory when this member stated there are no possibilities. Before absolute certainty arrives there is Speculation.

daninthelionsden, Posting your own opinions wins Brownie Points with Men. Practising your own opinions of what Scripture teaches means that you have never and will never be Saved while this practise continues.

Acts 5:29 King James Version

29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

Again, we don't have any private opinions. What we posted is the teachings of Yeshua/Jesus, Lawgivers, Prophets, Disciples and Apostles. Apparently, from your perspective you see differently. We agree with for_his_glory when this member stated there are no possibilities. Before absolute certainty arrives there is Speculation.

daninthelionsden, Posting your own opinions wins Brownie Points with Men. Practising your own opinions of what Scripture teaches means that you have never and will never be Saved while this practise continues.
You have no place in the judgment of mens' heart before the Lord for it is only your opinion. You have set yourself high and the Lord will set you back down. Either bend your knee before the Lord or He will bend it for you. Again, you state your own opinions as God's will/words when they're only your own. This is spiritual arrogance. Unbridled pride will shut the gates of Kingdom before you.

Back