Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Whitney Houston dies at 48

handy

I've always felt bad for her. Such a gifted and talented woman...but allowed drugs and poor judgement to rule her life.

I know she used to have a Christian testimony...hopefully she had the time and the clarity to turn her heart back to God before the end.

Re: Whitney Houston Dead at 48

if i recall she did get that talent back when she sung for the local church she was in.

Man this has stung me real good, the girl was doing great, and I wanted to see her soldier on. And now she is gone. She had returned to Jesus and I am so glad that she was saved. She loved the Lord and I am so glad that she did.

Singing superstar Whitney Houston dies at 48

LOS ANGELES — Whitney Houston, who ruled as pop music's queen until her majestic voice and regal image were ravaged by drug use, erratic behavior and a tumultuous marriage to singer Bobby Brown, died Saturday. She was 48.

Beverly Hills police Lt. Mark Rosen told reporters outside the Beverly Hilton that Houston was pronounced dead at 3:55 p.m. in her room on the fourth floor of the hotel. Her body remained there and Beverly Hills detectives were investigating.

"There were no obvious signs of any criminal intent," Rosen said.

Houston's publicist, Kristen Foster, said the cause of death was unknown.

Rosen said police received a 911 call from hotel security about Houston at 3:43 p.m. Saturday. Paramedics who were already at the hotel because of a Grammy party unsuccessfully tried to resuscitate the singer, he said.

Houston's end came on the eve of music's biggest night — the Grammy Awards. It's a showcase where she once reigned, and her death was sure to cast a heavy pall on Sunday's ceremony.

Her longtime mentor Clive Davis was to hold his annual concert and dinner Saturday, and a representative of the show said it would proceed.

Producer Jimmy Jam, who had worked with Houston, said he anticipated the evening would become a tribute to her, and he expected there to be one at the Grammys as well.

Houston was supposed to appear at the gala, and Davis had told The Associated Press that she would perhaps perform: "It's her favorite night of the year ... (so) who knows by the end of the evening," he said.

Houston had been at rehearsals for the show Thursday, coaching singers Brandy and Monica, according to a person who was at the event but was not authorized to speak publicly about it. The person said Houston looked disheveled, was sweating profusely and liquor and cigarettes could be smelled on her breath.

Two days ago, she performed at a pre-Grammy party with singer Kelly Price.

The Rev. Al Sharpton said he would call for a national prayer Sunday morning during a service at Second Baptist Church in Los Angeles.

"The morning of the Grammys, the world should pause and pray for the memory of a gifted songbird," Sharpton said in a written statement.

In a statement, Recording Academy President and CEO Neil Portnow said Houston "was one of the world's greatest pop singers of all time who leaves behind a robust musical soundtrack spanning the past three decades."

"Her powerful voice graced many memorable and award-winning songs," Portnow said. "A light has been dimmed in our music community today, and we extend our deepest condolences to her family, friends, fans and all who have been touched by her beautiful voice."

At her peak, Houston was the golden girl of the music industry. From the middle 1980s to the late 1990s, she was one of the world's best-selling artists. She wowed audiences with effortless, powerful, and peerless vocals that were rooted in the black church but made palatable to the masses with a pop sheen.

Her success carried her beyond music to movies, where she starred in hits like "The Bodyguard" and "Waiting to Exhale."

She had the perfect voice and the perfect image: a gorgeous singer who had sex appeal but was never overtly sexual, who maintained perfect poise.

She influenced a generation of younger singers, from Christina Aguilera to Mariah Carey, who when she first came out sounded so much like Houston that many thought it was Houston.

But by the end of her career, Houston became a stunning cautionary tale of the toll of drug use. Her album sales plummeted and the hits stopped coming; her once serene image was shattered by a wild demeanor and bizarre public appearances. She confessed to abusing cocaine, marijuana and pills, and her once pristine voice became raspy and hoarse, unable to hit the high notes as she had during her prime.

"The biggest devil is me. I'm either my best friend or my worst enemy," Houston told ABC's Diane Sawyer in an infamous 2002 interview with then-husband Brown by her side.

It was a tragic fall for a superstar who was one of the top-selling artists in pop music history, with more than 55 million records sold in the United States alone.

She seemed to be born into greatness. She was the daughter of gospel singer Cissy Houston, the cousin of 1960s pop diva Dionne Warwick and the goddaughter of Aretha Franklin.

Houston first started singing in the church as a child. In her teens, she sang backup for Chaka Khan, Jermaine Jackson and others, in addition to modeling. It was around that time when music mogul Clive Davis first heard Houston perform.

"The time that I first saw her singing in her mother's act in a club ... it was such a stunning impact," Davis told "Good Morning America."
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/46355482?gt1=43001#.TzdWrPmOdkY

sad times. To know the truth and turn away, and in the process lose your health, marriage, reputation, worldly goods, career, and, eventually, your life (not to mention your soul). Sometimes I think that Christians should just boycott Hollywood and popular music. It just seems that movie stars and singers have such wretched lives and horrible ends, and those are just the famous people we know about. How many others lose their lives (and souls) in pursuit of fame and fortune?

Whitney Houston's death isn't the least bit sad to me, her life was. She was handed everything. Her talent was completely God given and she never had to pay her dues because of her family connections. She chose to treat the gifts given to her by God as rubbish while the masses who were not so blessed struggle to get from one day to the next. Get ready to be assailed by story after story of how "inspirational" she was when in fact we should be condemming her for the disrespect she's shown to her God-given talents and opportunities afforded her. God giveth and God taketh away, if she had lived as a good Christian woman she would still be with us.

ChristianNationalist

MY my, aren't we superiour.

FC

Superior how? Should we glory in those who disrespect what they're so freely given? Should we worship at the feet of immorality? I don't claim to be superior at all, I'm a poor working stiff just like millions of other good people. Overpriveliged celebrities like Whitney Houston are offensive to those of us who struggle with troubles not of our own making. Those of us who struggle to have enough money to pay the rent, who struggle to put food on the table, mothers who struggle to care for their poor children; people with real problems. Whitney's only problems are the ones she created for herself through her own selfish hedonism. She could have been an example for millions on how to live a good life, instead she's just a Lindsey Lohan. I have sympathy for the truly repentant, not for those who willingly sin every day of their lives. They reap what they sow.

This reminds me of how much fawning people did over the death of Michael Jackson; the moment he dies we all stop pretending he was some great guy instead of the disgusting pedophile we all knew he was just the day before. These people don't demand our sympathies just because they're rich and famous. They don't deserve to be treated as if they special just becaues the media consistantly tells us they are.

I think its sad. Maybe not "tragic," but sad. Another life lost, relatively young, because someone chose to pursue wealth, fame, and self-fulfillment (and later self-destruction) over a constructive lifestyle centered on a relationship with Christ. She sold her soul for fame and drugs, basically.

I get the whole "reap what you sow" thing, I do, but I've been there. I used to be burned out, prematurely aged, moronic, and hated in my community. And you know what? The hatred didn't exactly help the situation. God did, Christian pity and sympathy did, and a degree of self-renunciation definitely did, but all that vitriol? Nah, not terribly helpful, but I'm sure it made the haters feel a whole lot better about their own lives.

I think its sad. Maybe not "tragic," but sad.
It is a tragedy to us musicians.
One thing is true: If it isn't Whitney Houston - it isn't Whitney Houston - No one like her. That talent, that style - that fame is lost forever. She's immortal, though - 'cause her fame lives with us. I've been feeling so bad ever since.

Now three horrible things have happened to me - just within a week:sad

She's probably with the Lord. No female artist like W. Houston.:sad

Considering the way she lived her life I sincerely doubt she's with the Lord. Saying things like that is wrong, it reinforces the belief many people have that you can behave however you like with no repercussions. It's far more constructive to openly admit she will never see heaven and any who follow her lifestyle will suffer eternally as she certainly is suffering now, that lesson will allow at least good thing to come from her death. A line must be drawn in the sand, failing to do so is a diservice to the younger generations we are responsible for. She's no role model, she's not what young girls should aspire to be; and it's our responsibility to do everything in our power to help them understand that.

She was a sinner? Is a man who lies just once a month any different? I'm not surprised she would be critisised at her death.

I wouldn't judge her. God forbid. I frown at her bad past yet I smile at her bright past.

A piece of cloth has a black dot in the middle. No one sees the white cloth. What people are eager to see is the spot.
Was she happy with that life? I doubt.

Maybe we didn't do much to change her and lead her to Christ. I had believed the Million Dollar Bill was her new life. (I had always wanted her to sing in an auditorium like Cece Winans, Shirley C etc for Christ). It didn't happen.

Would we still show this same level of distate to a common person who did the drug thing? I doubt

(I didn't promote the spot)

I don't think lies are nearly as bad, they certainly aren't as destructive when only told once a month. But a good person should make every endeavor to avoid lies as well. Lies and deceit are tools of the devil and should be avoided whenever possible. Sometimes a lie serves a greater good though; just yesterday I had to not necessarily lie but I did have to use deceptive phrasing to misdirect an abusive man searching for his girlfriend (who he struck) and their child. Even though I didn't lie I know it was only on a technicality and so prayed to God for forgiveness of my sin.

To campare lieing to Whitney Houson's continuous and destructive drug use would require she be compared instead to a man (or woman) that continuously lies and decieves by rote. Con artists, false politicians, and other deceivers I believe are every bit as sinful as Ms. Houston was, more so actually. Their fate, should they fail to truly repent, will be no better than hers in the end.

over the years the stories in the press show her as a troubled child, all her secrets where out in public view and therefore she was not as strong as some of the wonderful sinless posters on this site whos sins are hidden. I do hope that she is at peace

Con artists, false politicians, and other deceivers I believe are every bit as sinful as Ms. Houston was, more so actually. Their fate, should they fail to truly repent, will be no better than hers in the end.

Good!

It just pains me she's gone (so soon). I had a dream! Each time I shut my eyes and imagined her singing in an auditorium with gospel musicians like Cece, Shirley, Eveie etc...

It didn't happen.

One of my favorite hits ..... :thumbsup

[video=youtube;QQsTK-NCTbE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQsTK-NCTbE[/video]

:nono2 sad, yes but not suprising but if she was some addict and homeless and died poor there would no thread on her at all.

jasoncran is right on. If she'd been some poor and/or anonymous addict, this would just be another cold body in the morgue. Since she was rich, talented, and famous, the media will spin some mythology about her "tragic" and "complex" life.

Back