Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

WHO IS THE RULER OF THE EARTH?

Satan

2 Corinthians 4:4

2Co 4:4 in whose case the god of this age has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

the god of this age.
Satan (cf. Mat_4:8; Joh_12:31; Joh_14:30; Joh_16:11; Eph_2:2; 2Ti_2:26; 1Jn_5:19).

this age. The current world mind-set expressed by the ideals, opinions, goals, hopes, and views of the majority of people. It encompasses the world's philosophies, education, and commerce. See notes on 2Co_10:5.

has blinded. Satan blinds people to God's truth through the world system he has created. Without a godly influence, man left to himself will follow that system, which panders to the depravity of unbelievers and deepens their moral darkness (cf. Mat_13:19). Ultimately, it is God who allows such blindness (Joh_12:40).

image of God. Jesus Christ is the exact representation of God Himself (see notes on Col_1:15; Col_2:9; Heb_1:3).

Satan

2 Corinthians 4:4

2Co 4:4 in whose case the god of this age has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

the god of this age. Satan (cf. Mat_4:8; Joh_12:31; Joh_14:30; Joh_16:11; Eph_2:2; 2Ti_2:26; 1Jn_5:19).

this age. The current world mind-set expressed by the ideals, opinions, goals, hopes, and views of the majority of people. It encompasses the world's philosophies, education, and commerce. See notes on 2Co_10:5.

has blinded. Satan blinds people to God's truth through the world system he has created. Without a godly influence, man left to himself will follow that system, which panders to the depravity of unbelievers and deepens their moral darkness (cf. Mat_13:19). Ultimately, it is God who allows such blindness (Joh_12:40).

image of God. Jesus Christ is the exact representation of God Himself (see notes on Col_1:15; Col_2:9; Heb_1:3).
Very good posts elected.
Can't remember if I welcomed you to the forum.

Very good posts elected.
Can't remember if I welcomed you to the forum.
Thank you.

I know certain members do not like me posting commentaries. However, there are men 100 times more educated than I am and called by God that write these commentaries. I cannot deny the truth they teach from scripture. If one studies the Bible, they will see they are in line with Biblical doctrines.

I cannot trust myself to interpret.

Scripture interprets Scripture

Grace and peace to you.

Thank you.

I know certain members do not like me posting commentaries. However, there are men 100 times more educated than I am and called by God that write these commentaries. I cannot deny the truth they teach from scripture. If one studies the Bible, they will see they are in line with Biblical doctrines.

Grace and peace to you.
You could post commentaries.
The problem is that there are so many that we could just exchange commentaries all day.
What you should do, however, is list the source at the bottom of the commentary.

Like this: (due to copyrights)

2 Cor 4:4
(4) In whom the god of this world . . .—The word sounds somewhat startling as a description of the devil, but it has parallels in “the prince of this world” (John 14:30), “the prince of the power of the air” (Ephesians 2:2). The world which “lieth in wickedness,” perhaps in the evil one (1John 5:19), worships the spirit of hate and falsehood and selfishness, and in so doing it practically deifies the devil. And the work of that god of this world is directly in antagonism to that of God. He seeks to lead men back from light to darkness. “He blinded” (the Greek tense indicates an act in past time without necessarily including the idea of its continuance in the present) “the minds of the unbelievers.” The noun is probably used, as in 1Corinthians 6:6; 1Corinthians 7:12-15; 1Corinthians 10:27; 1Corinthians 14:22-24, with a special reference to the outside heathen world. Their spiritual state was, St. Paul seems to say, lower than that of Israel. The veil was over the heart of the one; the very organs of spiritual perception were blinded in the other.

source: Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers

Thank you.

Grace and peace to you.
I'm sorry Elected,
I just want to say that before I read any commentary - which is rare BTW - I like to read the entire book or chapter by myself and see how I understand it. I like to have my own beliefs and not those of another person. I can explain what I believe, but I cannot explain what another person believes/understands.

You could post commentaries.
The problem is that there are so many that we could just exchange commentaries all day.
What you should do, however, is list the source at the bottom of the commentary.

Like this: (due to copyrights)

2 Cor 4:4
(4) In whom the god of this world . . .—The word sounds somewhat startling as a description of the devil, but it has parallels in “the prince of this world” (John 14:30), “the prince of the power of the air” (Ephesians 2:2). The world which “lieth in wickedness,” perhaps in the evil one (1John 5:19), worships the spirit of hate and falsehood and selfishness, and in so doing it practically deifies the devil. And the work of that god of this world is directly in antagonism to that of God. He seeks to lead men back from light to darkness. “He blinded” (the Greek tense indicates an act in past time without necessarily including the idea of its continuance in the present) “the minds of the unbelievers.” The noun is probably used, as in 1Corinthians 6:6; 1Corinthians 7:12-15; 1Corinthians 10:27; 1Corinthians 14:22-24, with a special reference to the outside heathen world. Their spiritual state was, St. Paul seems to say, lower than that of Israel. The veil was over the heart of the one; the very organs of spiritual perception were blinded in the other.

source: Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers
I forgot all about the copyright.

Thank for this.

I'm sorry Elected,
I just want to say that before I read any commentary - which is rare BTW - I like to read the entire book or chapter by myself and see how I understand it. I like to have my own beliefs and not those of another person. I can explain what I believe, but I cannot explain what another person believes/understands.
I understand exactly what you are saying.

I like that most of the commentaries that I have will breakdown the Koine Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic, etc. I love reading about the word pictures and the like.

Always praying before reading and study.

I love how Spurgeon wrote his commentaries as well.

I didn't refer to that scripture.
I gave you 2 Cor 4:4
It states that satan is the god of this world.
There's more BTW.
Is satan a god?

Who is the ruler?
-“All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me."
-For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given, and the government will be upon His shoulders. And He will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
-I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.
-And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.
-I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy;
-The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds.

So who is in authority or ruling this world? Which one?

Last edited:
Satan is the god of the evil principalities of this world to those who are worldly and follow after him. God is the God of all creation and the God of those who walk in His Spirit not minding the things of this world, but have risen with Christ and seek those things which are above, where Christ sits on the right hand of God.

Col 3:1 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
Col 3:2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
Col 3:3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.
Col 3:4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

Is satan a god?

Who is the ruler?
-For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given, and the government will be upon His shoulders. And He will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
-And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.
-I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy;
-The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds.

ruler and god of this world is refernced as one in the same in these verses.

John 12:31 Now judgment is upon this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out.

John 14:30 I will not speak much more with you, for the ruler of the world is coming, and he has nothing in Me;

Ephesians 2:2 in which you formerly walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, of the spirit that is now working in the sons of disobedience.

John 16:11 and concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged.

2 Corinthians 4:4 in whose case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

I understand exactly what you are saying.

I like that most of the commentaries that I have will breakdown the Koine Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic, etc. I love reading about the word pictures and the like.

Always praying before reading and study.

I love how Spurgeon wrote his commentaries as well.
That sounds good to me.
Charles Spurgeon was reformed.
Not too many reformed on here, but you'll find them eventually.
See you around!

ruler and god of this world is refernced as one in the same in these verses.

John 12:31 Now judgment is upon this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out.
OK, he was cast out so no more the ruler of this world
John 14:30 I will not speak much more with you, for the ruler of the world is coming, and he has nothing in Me;
That was before the crucifixion.
Ephesians 2:2 in which you formerly walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, of the spirit that is now working in the sons of disobedience.
Demoted to the the prince of the power of the air
John 16:11 and concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged.
No longer in power or a toothless lion...can still deceive but has less power than the believers do
2 Corinthians 4:4 in whose case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.
He still can deceive although that does not take power or rulership.

So thanks, very useful input.

Is satan a god?

Who is the ruler?

I was going to list what Jesus said, but for_his_glory has done this in her post no. 16.

That would be:
John 12:31
John 14:30
John 16:11

Can't remember if she posted 1 John 5:19
We are the children of God, but the world around us in under the control of the evil one.

When Adam fell because he obeyed satan...he handed the power over to satan.
Eventually satan will be thrown into the Lake of Fire...but for now he has influence over people because we are living in his home.

I was going to list what Jesus said, but for_his_glory has done this in her post no. 16.

That would be:
John 12:31
John 14:30
John 16:11

Can't remember if she posted 1 John 5:19
We are the children of God, but the world around us in under the control of the evil one.

When Adam fell because he obeyed satan...he handed the power over to satan.
Eventually satan will be thrown into the Lake of Fire...but for now he has influence over people because we are living in his home.
Jesus has all authority and so Satan no longer has control. He can influence but he is not in control. How can he have control when the children of God can cast him down and out, if we will take up the weapons of our warfare to do so? The gates of hell will not prevail against the believers. He has lost.

He does continue to steal, kill and destroy and motivate those who will to do evil. That is true. But we have authority and so he has been judged and Jesus is triumph. The kingdoms of this world have become the kingdoms of our Lord. Satan is defeated. He is not a god of this world anymore. He is a spiritual force in this world, but he has no authority except what men give him, which means he is weakened.

Back