Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Bible Study Whom do I need to pray to for being saved? Either Jehovah or Jesus?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; Genesis 1:26

In this context, is Elohyim singular or plural ?

JLB
It is singular. The singular Elohim is not talking to Himself, but to others, thus the need for "us". In the next verse we see how He carried out making man.

Gen 1:27 So Elohim created man in His own image, in the image of Elohim created He him; male and female created He them.
The verse does not read, "So Elohim created man in their own image, in the image of Elohim created they him; male and female created they them.

Jesus is not Hebrew.

Jesus is an English word.

Where does the bible us the word the Hebrew word Yeshua?

JLB
Why isn't "Jehovah" considered English?

The Hebrew name "Yeshua" is used in 1Ch 24:11 and 2Ch 31:15.

Strong's H3442
ישׁוּע
yêshûa‛
yah-shoo'-ah
For H3091; he will save; Jeshua, the name of two Israelites, also of a place in Palestine: - Jeshua.

BDB's H3442
ישׁוּע
yêshûa‛
BDB Definition:
Jeshua = “he is saved”

It is singular. The singular Elohim is not talking to Himself, but to others, thus the need for "us". In the next verse we see how He carried out making man.

Gen 1:27 So Elohim created man in His own image, in the image of Elohim created He him; male and female created He them.
The verse does not read, "So Elohim created man in their own image, in the image of Elohim created they him; male and female created they them.

Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; Genesis 1:26

In this context, is Elohyim singular or plural ? Us and Our are plural and refer to the Godhead as doing the work of creating.

This work of creating continues by Elohyim, in the next verse

So God, [Elohyim Plural] created man in His own image; in the image of God [Elohyim Plural] He created him; male and female He created them. Genesis 1:27

God is expressed in the masculine by He, but does not take away from the pluralty of Elohyim, being understaood in the previous verse.

“Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; Genesis 1:26

Man is a three partite being created in the image and likeness of Elohyim, who is three. 1 John 5:7

Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Thessalonians 5:23

Excluding the previous verse 26, and ignoring my question, is not how we gain the whole counsel of God.

I will plainly ask you again, in this context of this verse 26, that says Let Us make man in Our image..., plural or singular?

JLB

Last edited:
I will plainly ask you again, in this context of this verse 26, that says Let Us make man in Our image..., plural or singular?

JLB
I already answered you. You didn't believe my answer. I will ask you some questions. Who is talking in verse 26? Who is the talker in verse 26 talking to? Are the talker and hearer of verse 26 two beings or one being?

Why isn't "Jehovah" considered English?

It may considered a lot of things by a lot of people.

Does your New Testament use Jehovah?

Did the Apostles refer to Jehovah?

The Hebrew name "Yeshua" is used in 1Ch 24:11 and 2Ch 31:15.

Strong's H3442
ישׁוּע
yêshûa‛
yah-shoo'-ah
For H3091; he will save; Jeshua, the name of two Israelites, also of a place in Palestine: - Jeshua.

BDB's H3442
ישׁוּע
yêshûa‛
BDB Definition:
Jeshua = “he is saved”

Looks like it says Jeshua to me.

Is that the name of your God? Jeshua?

I already answered you. You didn't believe my answer. I will ask you some questions. Who is talking in verse 26? Who is the talker in verse 26 talking to? Are the talker and hearer of verse 26 two beings or one being?

No you referred to another verse.

Here is my question again from Post 38

JLB

It may considered a lot of things by a lot of people.

Does your New Testament use Jehovah?

Did the Apostles refer to Jehovah?
I was not trying to support the use of "Jehovah". I was trying to show you that if "Jesus" is English, then so is "Jehovah". Yet, both are erroneous transliterations into English.

Looks like it says Jeshua to me.

Is that the name of your God? Jeshua?
Of course it says "Jeshua". That is the English transliteration now that the letter J replaces the Hebrew yod (Y). No, it is not the name of my God. My God's name is spelled YHWH and pronounced "Yahweh", not "Jehovah", not "Jeshua" and not "Jesus".

Yesterday, I met sister Lili, she asked me a question, “Whom do I need to pray to for being saved? Either Jehovah or Jesus? Jehovah is the Father, Jesus is the son. Father is greater than Son. Should we pray to the Holy Father Jehovah?
Isaiah 43:10-11, it recorded, ‘…before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no savior.
And Exodus 3:15 records, ‘…the LORD God … is my name for ever, and this is my memorial to all generations.
But ‘Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.’(Acts 4:12) (kjv) So I'm at a loss whose name I should pray! Can you tell me?”
I didn't answer her question. Because I thought I only prayed to Lord Jesus, and did as what Lord asked me to do, then I can be saved. I was confused about this question. Whom do I need to pray to for being saved?

Either is fine they are one that is the Father is in the Son and the Son in the Father.. But if one asks the Father isn't it in Jesus's name? And isn't the Fathers promised Holy Spirit sent in Jesus's name? Those that listen to the Father and learn from Him go to the Son and Jesus will raise them up on the last day. So going to Jesus for salvation is the Fathers work at hand. The Father glorifies the Son and in the Son the Father is glorified. I believe in REV Jesus was found worthy by God of Honor and power and glory forever. Jesus is the Fathers Christ and the ruler of Gods creation by the Fathers will. And last He who loves the Son is loved by the Father.

Randy

I was not trying to support the use of "Jehovah". I was trying to show you that if "Jesus" is English, then so is "Jehovah". Yet, both are erroneous transliterations into English.

Does your New Testament use Jesus or Jehovah when referring to the Lord?

JLB

No you referred to another verse.

Here is my question again from Post 38

JLB
And here is my answer AGAIN from post 41:

"It is singular. The singular Elohim is not talking to Himself, but to others, thus the need for "us"."
Try reading my posts before refuting them. Thanks. I will be back this evening to try an educate you further.

Of course it says "Jeshua". That is the English transliteration now that the letter J replaces the Hebrew yod (Y). No, it is not the name of my God. My God's name is spelled YHWH and pronounced "Yahweh", not "Jehovah", not "Jeshua" and not "Jesus".

Jeshua is a reference to a man in the bible, in the verse's you gave.

Can you find a reference to the Lord in the Bible, that is rendered Yeshua?

JLB

The Us in verse 26 is referring to those who are creating.

Let Us make... in Our Image.

We know Jesus had His part in this work of creating with the Father...without Him nothing was made that was made.

15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. 17 And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist. Colossians 1:15-17

and again

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. John 1:1-3

JLB

Thank you very much. My Son uses YHWH Yahweh all the time except when referring to our Heavenly Father.

I accept what you say. Now that we're getting technical, Jesus is not correct either. Yeshua is correct. Hebrews don't have a J.

How do you see Genesis 1:26 ? Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness;

What have your studies uncovered about this verse?

Do you see Elohyim as singular or plural as used in verse 26?

JLB

The letter 'j' is not from English, it originated from Germanic. Today the 'j' in German is almost always pronounced with a 'y' sound.
ie. The German word for 'yes' is spelled 'ja' but is pronounced as 'ya'. I'm sure all of us have heard a German speaker, in movies or whatever, say yes and it sounded like 'ya'.
So when pronouncing Jehovah it would be correcting said 'Yah ovah'.in German. The English language is the mutt of languages.
If you have ever listened to a Jewish person speak 'Yiddish' it is a combination of Hebrew and Germanic (medieval German). How is 'Yiddish' spelled in German, 'Jiddisch' pronounced, 'Yiddish'.
The Sepharic Jews have 'Ladino'. In Spanish the 'j' is most often pronounced as a 'w', as with 'Juan'.
http://www.jewfaq.org/yiddish.htm http://joycep.myweb.port.ac.uk/pronounce/consonj.html

I've got it !!!
Since there seems to be contention on the exact words used, and the book of Acts was translated to Greek from original Jewish texts, you can believe on the following name to ensure your inclusion in the kingdom of God.
אלוהים אדירים

Jeshua is a reference to a man in the bible, in the verse's you gave.

Can you find a reference to the Lord in the Bible, that is rendered Yeshua?

I offer two.

1) Several church fathers (Papias, Irenaeus, Origen, Eusebius, Jerome and others) state that Matthew wrote his Gospel in Hebrew and later translated it to Greek. In the Hebrew Matthew text the name of the Son is called “Yeshua” (written with the Hebrew letters yod-shin-waw-ayin).

2) The NT Greek texts use “Iesous/Iesou” for the Son’s name. “Iesou” was used in the Septuagint (Greek OT) to translate “Jeshua” (Yeshua in Hebrew) the son of Nun.

Neh 8:17 And all the congregation of them that were come again out of the captivity made booths, and sat under the booths: for since the days of Jeshua the son of Nun unto that day had not the children of Israel done so. And there was very great gladness.

Neh 8:17 και G2532[CONJ] εποιησαν G4160[V-AAI-3P] πασα G3956[A-NSF] η G3588[T-NSF] εκκλησια G1577[N-NSF] οι G3588[T-NPM] επιστρεψαντες G1994[V-AAPNP] απο G575[PREP] της G3588[T-GSF] αιχμαλωσιας G161[N-GSF] σκηνας G4633[N-APF] και G2532[CONJ] εκαθισαν G2523[V-AAI-3P] εν G1722[PREP] σκηναις G4633[N-DPF] οτι G3754[CONJ] ουκ G3364[ADV] εποιησαν G4160[V-AAI-3P] απο G575[PREP] ημερων G2250[N-GPF] ιησου G2424[N-PRI] υιου G5207[N-GSM] ναυη [N-PRI] ουτως G3778[ADV] οι G3588[T-NPM] υιοι G5207[N-NPM] ισραηλ G2474[N-PRI] εως G2193[CONJ] της G3588[T-GSF] ημερας G2250[N-GSF] εκεινης G1565[D-GSF] και G2532[CONJ] εγενετο G1096[V-AMI-3S] ευφροσυνη G2167[N-NSF] μεγαλη G3173[A-NSF]

Neh 8:17 ויעשׂוH6213 made כלH3605 And all הקהלH6951 the congregation השׁביםH7725 of them that were come again מןH4480 out of השׁביH7628 the captivity סכותH5521 booths, וישׁבוH3427 and sat בסכותH5521 under the booths: כיH3588 for לאH3808 had not עשׂוH6213 done מימיH3117 since the days ישׁועH3442 of Jeshua בןH1121 the son נוןH5126 of Nun כןH3651 so. בניH1121 the children ישׂראלH3478 of Israel עדH5704 unto היוםH3117 day ההואH1931 that ותהיH1961 And there was שׂמחהH8057 gladness. גדולהH1419 great מאד׃H3966 very

The letter 'j' is not from English, it originated from Germanic. Today the 'j' in German is almost always pronounced with a 'y' sound.
ie. The German word for 'yes' is spelled 'ja' but is pronounced as 'ya'. I'm sure all of us have heard a German speaker, in movies or whatever, say yes and it sounded like 'ya'.
So when pronouncing Jehovah it would be correcting said 'Yah ovah'.in German. The English language is the mutt of languages.
If you have ever listened to a Jewish person speak 'Yiddish' it is a combination of Hebrew and Germanic (medieval German). How is 'Yiddish' spelled in German, 'Jiddisch' pronounced, 'Yiddish'.
The Sepharic Jews have 'Ladino'. In Spanish the 'j' is most often pronounced as a 'w', as with 'Juan'.
http://www.jewfaq.org/yiddish.htm http://joycep.myweb.port.ac.uk/pronounce/consonj.html
I agree and will add that the Italians and French also influenced the use of J in English. That just makes the name "Jesus" that much more of a corrupted form of Messiah's true name.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back