Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Why did the Catholic Church say Mary Magdalene was a prostitute?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
There is some confusion over this.
But first it was never official Catholic teaching that Mary Magdalene was a prostitute.

Here is an answer from Catholic Answers:
"While we don’t know definitively, there is a longstanding tradition that Mary Magdalene was both Mary of Bethany and the woman (prostitute) who dried Jesus’ tears. And while Pope St. Gregory, who served from A.D. 590 to A.D. 604, certainly advanced this tradition, it preceded him." LINK

It then gives a link that goes into this in more detail.
In brief, it seems that scripture indicates from the wording that the woman who anointed Jesus and washed his feet with her tears in Luke 7:36-50 was a prostitute. Since Mary of Bethany did something similar (John 12:1-3), some conflated her with the woman in Luke 7. Also since Mary Magdalene had 7 devils driven out (Luke 8:2) all three were assumed to be the same person.

Some say Pope Gregory suggested this in a sermon (not some official pronouncement) but I read somewhere that what he actually said was misconstrued.

So - lots of confusion.

I have no idea how a woman who washed Jesus feet and had 7 devils cast out can be labelled a prostitute. It's like saying Mary was ever-virgin when there is no proof. They all just assumptions.

Last edited:
Here's some info....

I wouldn't use that source, sister. The History Channel is notoriously slanted and very pro-Gnostic, as even that piece suggests. It also misrepresents the facts. It was not simply Pope Gregory's "opinion" that the woman in whom seven demons were cast out was Magdelene, it is outright stated that it was her in Luke 8.

They are deliberately hiding and misrepresenting the truth to paint a narrative.

I wouldn't use that source, sister. The History Channel is notoriously slanted and very pro-Gnostic, as even that piece suggests. It also misrepresents the facts. It was not simply Pope Gregory's "opinion" that the woman in whom seven demons were cast out was Magdelene, it is outright stated that it was her in Luke 8.

They are deliberately hiding and misrepresenting the truth to paint a narrative.
I don't post by site.
I agree with what it states.

Do You have the two Mary's that annointed Jesus straight in your understanding?

I really don't.

Could you post Luke 8?

The scripture clearly confirms Mary Magdaline was demon possessed as 7 were cast out of her, but there is nothing about her being a prostitute. Just because someone had 7 devils cast out don't mean they a prostitute, it could be anything.

That's correct, only it tends in the direction of strengthening the harlot positon somewhat. Demonic infestation was a particular problem for prostitutes because they were regularly becoming "one flesh" with many men; many sinful men. It doesn't guarantee she was a prostitute, but whatever she was doing to need seven demons cast out, she certainly wasn't Mary Poppins.

Here's some info....

I appreciate that Wondering. I generally do not go to secular authorities for Bible related material, unless it isn't in the Bible. I prefer either looking at Bible evidence, or from the assigned faithful slave. I do thank you for taking the time to find that source and offer it to me maam.

See. You were one of the misinformed.
And it certainly was not because you were taught by the CC.
Wasn't high up on my list to study maam. Likely I will not forget it, but you never know. I appreciate the incentive however to do research on it. We all learn things every day, but we will never know all that Jehovah knows Ecc 3:11

I appreciate that Wondering. I generally do not go to secular authorities for Bible related material, unless it isn't in the Bible. I prefer either looking at Bible evidence, or from the assigned faithful slave. I do thank you for taking the time to find that source and offer it to me maam.
I also don't use the internet much.
But I do use it and like to link stuff at times.
I read through it first and make sure I agree with it, that's why I post the link.
(because it probably explains something better than I could).

Also, I don't pay too much attention to the source if I agree with it.
Maybe that's a mistake - I don't know.
If it's right, it's right.
What makes it be right?
Learning from 3 different denominations WHEN THEY AGREE WITH EACH OTHER.
What they don't agree with seems to be small things we shouldn't sweat over.
But it's still good to discuss...we learn new things every day.

I also don't use the internet much.
But I do use it and like to link stuff at times.
I read through it first and make sure I agree with it, that's why I post the link.
(because it probably explains something better than I could).

Also, I don't pay too much attention to the source if I agree with it.
Maybe that's a mistake - I don't know.
If it's right, it's right.
What makes it be right?
Learning from 3 different denominations WHEN THEY AGREE WITH EACH OTHER.
What they don't agree with seems to be small things we shouldn't sweat over.
But it's still good to discuss...we learn new things every day.
Remember though Wondering, we are judged on obedience, God teaches us so we can walk in His ways Isa 2:2,3 so it is imperative we worship with spirit and truth. Jn 4:24. God only has one united people, He does not accept multiple faiths.

Remember though Wondering, we are judged on obedience, God teaches us so we can walk in His ways Isa 2:2,3 so it is imperative we worship with spirit and truth. Jn 4:24. God only has one united people, He does not accept multiple faiths.
I hope that by ONE UNIFIED PEOPLE you simply mean all that belong to the Body of Christ.

I hope that by ONE UNIFIED PEOPLE you simply mean all that belong to the Body of Christ.
Yes maam, I do mean that. All the people of God all belong to the body of Christ, or in other words are Christians. They pattern their lives after Jesus, and worship God unitedly in spirit and truth. They are identified by their fruits according to Jesus.

Back