Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Ecumenical Creeds Should Be Dropped

Francis wrote on post 94: "We have witnesses from the second century that speak of an apostolic 'rule of faith' -- a short creed."

I have never seen the above document. If you can produce it it would be interesting and I would like to see it.

There are numerous individuals who speak of "the rule of faith", which we would call the Apostolic Tradition handed down from Paul and Peter and so forth. St. Irenaeus speaks of a "rule of faith" that the Apostles had formulated, for example. If you desire something more in detail, consider the following link:

Creeds of Christendom, with a History and Critical notes. Volume II. The History of Creeds. | Christian Classics Ethereal Library

Note, as i said, that the "rule of faith" expresses the baptismal creed that links the Apostles to the Ecumenical Creeds. If you bother to look at it, you'll find they are quite biblical and very early.

You mention "baptismal creeds". Baptism is one of the "core doctrines" (as one on this forum has called it), Eph.4:4:"one lord, one faith, one baptism". I don't know if you have read and compared some of the dividing creeds. THEY SURELY HAVE WINGED IT! The governing creed of one church says baptism is to be done only in the name of Jesus, thus blocking out the Father and Holy Spirit as in Matt.28:19-20.

I can't answer for those communities that have changed one of the core beliefs of Christianity, changing the sacrament of baptism to some "ordinance", rather than a burial into the death and resurrection of Christ for the forgiveness of sins. This merely proves my point - that moving AWAY from the Church's creed leads to false teachings and ignorance on the truths that God has revealed.

You prove my point - that "Bible alone" just doesn't work! These guys had the Holy Bible and still couldn't figure it out...

Regards

Francis in post 94 wrote: "I don't recall which verses from scripture tell us that--". Thank you Francis for that admission, for there are no such verses.

There are no verses in either case, whether to have specific creeds or not. However, it seems rather obvious that there WERE such baptismal creeds, formulas that were stated at Baptism that were later expanded and called "Creed", which are, in Liturgy, esp. remindful of our baptismal promises.

Francis I am not "saying that the Apostles just winged it?" The Apostles of my Lord never "winged it".

Thus, it goes without saying that they sat down together and formulated what they believed in easy-to-remember statements for the purpose of evangelizing and baptism. Paul states in Galatians that he went to Jerusalem for this express purpose.

Uninspired men down the centuries until pick and choose and makeup as they will, yes these men have "winged" it but lets not charge the apostles with such falsehood.

I am not charging the apostles with anything, I was asking if that was YOUR opinion.

Regards

Now to the outright errors:

Jesus is the Giver of Life: not the Holy Spirit.

The "outright errors" are in your logic, enow...

It is a false dichotomy that does not take into account that the FATHER ALSO is the GIVER OF LIFE!!! HE IS GOD MOST HIGH!!!

Your logic also excludes God the Father as the Giver of Life. God is the Giver of Life, so any Person associated with "GOD" on the level of Being is the Giver of Life, to include the Spirit of God. Who would use your "logic" to state that the Father is not the Giver of Life because of your poor understanding of Scriptures?

Your basis that "the Creed is in error" is based on this "thinking"? THAT'S IT???? :screwloose

Oh boy. Thank the Lord that we have a creed. It is too bad that people think they are smarter than 1700 years of time-tested and Spirit-backed phrases that state our faith, while not all inclusive, are not in error.

Regards

Webb

Universal Church

“I agree with you except I believe the scripture teaches the universal church. When I say that I do not include any denomination nor do I include the Roman Catholic Church in it as none of them existed in the NT day, nor did they until years later. Only the NT church existed, both locally and in its universal sense of the local congregations collectively.â€

Your view is the Protestant view. And I’m sorry, but I find the Catholic view more reasonable. At least there’s the claim of historic continuity. Not that I agree with either view. But I don’t know how far we would get discussing it on a thread about creeds. Start a new thread if you think it’s important. The present situation in denominational Christianity makes it unimportant to me. Haven’t had anyone say anything different than you and Francis about the ekklesia and the Church. Or agree with my view.

I attend a Christian Church out of necessity, a Church that doesn’t agree with me either. Of course, I have to present my views in that Church as a lie, as if I heard them somewhere else, to get a response other than “you’re outa hereâ€. It does, after all, think of itself as most denominations do, as the true Church. And there’s that little matter of doctrinal closed communion, you see.

FC

Francis

Sorry to get you all riled up. I should have known better. I went against one of my own laws. Never argue with a Catholic. Hoping it didn’t apply to you, I guess. I could answer you point by point, but it would be futile and a total waste of time, since my views don’t even agree with the Protestants. And I’ve presented my views elsewhere. The topic of this thread is just creeds. You may think my views are ridiculous, but I’m not stupid. At least not most of the time. To answer you at all was stupid and I own up to my mistakes. It won’t happen again.

And if you think your Church is comparable to a secular organization, then I agree that you shouldn’t bother to answer the other thread.

FC

Jasoncran

“sheesh i am not a catholic in practice and see what that post is all about. even the calvinist pastor listend did a sermon on what francis said and said the church was to be visible we arent to be invidualists.
funny, i learned that in an military save with few exception individualism doesnt work. its all team and teamwork is needed. the mechanic cant go out and kill on the same truck or tank the tankers or cav do.neither can they use their vehicles without being maintained they need each other. why is it that we expect the body of christ to work so much different.God does raise up pastors and teachers these days?â€

America began because of individualists. Would you rather be under the Queen of England?

My family and peers are Atheists. I had to be individualistic in order to convert to Jesus Christ. Do you think I was wrong?

The opposite of individualism is conformity. Like the Catholic Church expects of its members. Like every Christian denomination expects of its members. Is that what you’re defending?

FC

lol, i come from a wierd mix of judaism and jw and the occult with a dash of bisexuality to the lord, given all that., i gladly yield to whom God has ordained. this argument of yours is akin to the ones i use against traditional martial arts.except i am on your end at times. i have learned to really examine what has worked in the martial arts why they are they are, but i dare not assume that my twenty plus yrs in means much.the martial arts all together a different matter as no on art save the mma has been combat proven(add krav maga) so most of its conjecutered and reasonable beleved to work. unlike the word of God.

america wasnt found on indivualism, read what the founding faith of the puritians from whence our country based it judeo-christian values

John Winthrop's City upon a Hill, 1630

Now the onely way to avoyde this shipwracke and to provide for our posterity is to followe the Counsell of Micah, to doe Justly, to love mercy, to walke humbly with our God, for this end, wee must be knitt together in this worke as one man, wee must entertaine each other in brotherly Affeccion, wee must be willing to abridge our selves of our superfluities, for the supply of others necessities, wee must uphold a familiar Commerce together in all meekenes, gentlenes, patience and liberallity, wee must delight in eache other, make others Condicions our owne rejoyce together, mourne together, labour, and suffer together, allwayes haveing before our eyes our Commission and Community in the worke, our Community as members of the same body, soe shall wee keepe the unitie of the spirit in the bond of peace, the Lord will be our God and delight to dwell among us, as his owne people and will commaund a blessing upon us in all our wayes, soe that wee shall see much more of his wisdome power goodnes and truthe then formerly wee have beene acquainted with, wee shall finde that the God of Israell is among us, when tenn of us shall be able to resist a thousand of our enemies, when hee shall make us a prayse and glory, that men shall say of succeeding plantacions: the lord make it like that of New England: for wee must Consider that wee shall be as a Citty upon a Hill, the eies of all people are uppon us; soe that if wee shall deale falsely with our god in this worke wee have undertaken and soe cause him to withdrawe his present help from us, wee shall be made a story and a byword through the world, wee shall open the mouthes of enemies to speake evill of the wayes of god and all professours for Gods sake; wee shall shame the faces of many of gods worthy servants, and cause theire prayers to be turned into Cursses upon us till wee be consumed out of the good land whether wee are going: And to shutt upp this discourse with that exhortacion of Moses that faithfull servant of the Lord in his last farewell to Israell Deut. 30. Beloved there is now sett before us life, and good, deathe and evill in that wee are Commaunded this day to love the Lord our God, and to love one another to walke in his wayes and to keepe his Commaundements and his Ordinance, and his lawes, and the Articles of our Covenant with him that wee may live and be multiplyed, and that the Lord our God may blesse us in the land whether wee goe to possesse it: But if our heartes shall turne away soe that wee will not obey, but shall be seduced and worshipp other Gods our pleasures, and proffitts, and serve them, it is propounded unto us this day, wee shall surely perishe out of the good Land whether wee passe over this vast Sea to possesse it;

Therefore lett us choose life,

that wee, and our Seede,

may live; by obeyeing his

voyce, and cleaveing to him,

for hee is our life, and

our prosperity.​

from here:John ~Winthrop's City upon a Hill, 1630

gee sounds very indivualistic to me, yeilding the God of the bible. hmm. if you like i could add his sermon on freedom. freedom to sin maybe legal but not moral therefore we need to yeild our lives to the bible paraphased that sermon on that in a sentence. he didnt believe we were indivuals at all.quite the opposite., freedom in yeilding to God is the ulitamelty liberty!

Hi Francis

Just read your response. This old Texas cowboy is going to bed now. Tomorrow I have to help my wife with a number of things and Lord willing will get back to you.

Sometimes I wonder if the use for the creeds is a cop out for making disciples of believers through the Word.
Here you are presuming that the Creeds are not based on the Bible, something you have yet to prove.

Enow said:
Granted, not every believer had the available scripture, but the early church made disciples of believers by studying the scripture and the epistles in the church.
The vast majority of believers didn't have the available Scriptures and most were illiterate. Creeds were a very good way of presenting believers with the core, biblical Christian doctrines in a way that was easy to memorize.

There is a call to stand apart for our faith: we do not need the creed and certainly, dropping it help us stand further apart from error introduced in them.
Again, you have yet to show any error in them.

Enow said:
The Nicene creed introduced the errant practise of worshipping the Holy Spirit with the Father and the Son. Scriptures in post # 28 on page two of this thread has been provided for this reproof.
Do you not believe the Trinity? Do you not believe that the Trinity is God just as the Father and Son are also God? Does the Bible say to worship God?

Enow said:
The common denomenator in all of these apostate movements is when they shift their focus from honouring the Son and the Father and from glorifying the Son and the Father towards honouring and glorifying the Holy Spirit.

Hence, the warning from Jesus Christ of Matthew 7:13-16 in how the way is broadened from John 14:6-7 in how we approach God the Father through the Son by making these spirits the "go to" spirits in relating to God, thus seeking after a sign and being an adulterous generation in committing spiritual fornication away from the Bridegroom. These are the spirits of the antichrist as the definition of "antichrist" applies as "instead of Christ".

So as one poster says that there is an absence of a practise does not mean the scripture is against it: there are scripture speaking against it: as it plainly states intendedly that the Father can only be honoured through the Son as the Father can only be glorified through the Son and the role of the Holy Spirit in us is to lead us to not speak of Himself: the Holy Spirit in seeking the glory of the Holy Spirit ( John 16:13-14) but to testify of the Son in seeking the glory of the Son because His name is really above every other name as that is to the glory of God the Father. ( John 15:26-26 & Philippians 2:5-11)

So while I declare these creeds and some hymnals ( Colossians 3:16-17) as going against scriptures: I do point out that there is a larger issue at stake and that is how a small leaven leavens into a whole lump. Once a small leaven is overlooked, then believers will not be able to acknowledge without His help and grace through His words to see where that "lump" came from.

And the fruit of the false prophet is being ecumenical in nature: gathering grapes of thorns and figs of thistles: so while they may explain away the use of the creeds: it is that ecumenical factor is the reason why it should be dropped. For the world to know that catholicism is not christianity: then to avoid misrepresentation and confusion, we cannot say the creeds.

And believers in the NT did not need to use them in representing Christ. And because faith will be hard to find in the latter days, it is more imperative than ever before to drop the use of the creeds.
This is the problem with proof-texting and not taking Scriptures as a whole. All sorts of strange ideas result from it.

Francis

“First, you state: "there is no universal church",

and then,

"the local church is an expression of the universal church", of something that doesn't exist" â€

If that’s what I said, it was a misstatement on my part. I believe there is no universal Church. I believe that in relation to Christianity, there are universal denominations. And I’m sorry, but I include the RCC in that belief. I believe that the ekklesia, as described in the Bible, each of which is local in nature being associated only with cities, are each intended to be an expression of that which is universal, described in various ways in the Bible. Such as the Body of Christ, the Temple as the residence of God, and the Kingdom of the Son as the authority of Christ. Even the New Jerusalem that is currently in heaven.

It must be understood that I don’t believe that the Greek word ekklesia is properly translated by the English word Church. The source and meaning of each word is different. The word Church is an interpretive translation of ekklesia. I don’t believe that there is an English word that adequately translates the Greek word ekklesia. That is why I don’t attempt to translate it. I merely transliterate the Greek word....ekklesia.

It must also be understood that I don’t associate the ekklesia with local churches in Christianity that are associated with denominations. Nor do I associate the ekklesia with individual expressions of denominational thinking. Such as some Protestant community churches that are associated loosely with Evangelical associations, or so-called non-denominational churches that are obviously Protestant and denominational in their thinking. Nor do I associate the ekklesia with the historically developed idea of the parish, common in both Catholicism and Orthodoxy.

It must also be understood that I believe the ekklesia continues to exist without expression today. That in every city wherein resides those who are in Christ, there is an ekklesia. The only reason these ekklesia are not expressed today is because those who are in Christ have preferred to gather with a denomination instead of as the ekklesia in their city of residence.

“You clearly don't know me, nor do you know what the Catholic Church teaches.â€

I really made you mad didn’t I? I really do apologize. You previously said I knew more than most about Catholic teaching. I guess you take that back now.

“The cliches are tiring, and quite frankly, I don't appreciate the not-so-subtle ad hominems.â€

If that’s how you perceived what I said, then I apologize again.

“But of course, you won't answer because of MY stubborness??? â€

I haven’t answered before now because I didn’t have the time before now. And I wasn’t going to answer at all because you intimated that the conversation was over. I didn’t know any other meaning for “this is my last postâ€. I may be guilty of what I apologized for. But I can’t take the blame here.

I don’t subscribe to the KISS Principle (Keep It Simple Stupid) because it’s for people who have little or nothing to say. And I don’t subscribe to the DAMITT Principle (Don’t walk Away from Me when I’m Talking To you) because I have other things to do.

“Yep. Adam blamed Eve, Eve blamed the serpent, and FC blames the Catholic...â€

I haven’t blamed you for anything that I recall. But then, I never take the time to peruse what I said in the past. If I did, again I apologize. I posted the original post expecting a reaction. But not this kind of reaction. That I didn’t expect. And that is a sign of stupidity on my part, because I should have expected it. Catholics who are apologists for their faith are usually like Protestant Fundamentalists. And you certainly are showing that trait now.

“There you go again, jumping the gun.â€

It’s how I understood what you said. I don’t think that’s jumping the gun. If I misunderstood you, then by all means explain what you meant.

“First, you must realize that the Church is a human and divine organization. It lives here on earth among society. You cannot escape that fact. We can make analogies with secular organizations because they BOTH consist of human members!!!â€

I would agree if only the human was in view. But I have to disagree with that because of the Divine aspect of “the Churchâ€. Such an analogy wouldn’t apply, in fact would be inaccurate because of that. The Divine aspect would change everything, or is supposed to. Paul made it clear that we aren’t to walk like men. Which I understand as a reference to the secular men who aren’t in Christ.

“The point of my suggestion was to help you reflect on why the Church would consider closed communion. I don't see the reason as so different. It was an attempt to think without the bias usually attached by you to thinking about ANYTHING associated with the "C" word... It appears that all rational thought shuts down over there when someone brings out the "C" word. So I had hoped to enable you to think through an example that would not raise such a big stink with you.â€

Generally, when Catholics use the word catholic and the word Church, they are referring to their own Church. You have clearly pointed out that is a misconception in regard to you on this forum. You are referring to something that goes beyond the RCC. A universal Church that includes Protestants. Am I right?

“But given how our conversations have gone, with your constant accusations of MY stubborness (that usually is the claim from the self-proclaimed relativist who is challenged), it is not surprising that you respond as such.â€

Now wait just a minute. We’ve had a handful of conversations. And they’ve all been friendly up to now. And that’s what fooled me. I had no idea you were this humorless or this serious. I will take the blame for this one incident. Since you perceive it as my fault. But you really need to chill out.

And now that I think about it, who do you think I am that you think we’ve had these many conversations with my constant accusations?

“By the way, on your comment to Jason, I would like to present an alternative interpretation - and being the "rational relativist" that you claim to be, maybe you can be open to considering it.

Some would say "conformist", but others would call it "obedience to God's Will". If a person believes (not you, but this imaginary person) that the Church has the authority to speak for God on matters of faith or morals, then it follows that obedience to its definitions is obedience to God, which we are all called to do. A so-called "conformist" is conforming himself to Christ, something that the Scriptures command us to do.â€

Yeah, I can buy that. A person conforming himself to an organization that he believes is the “true Churchâ€, might well consider himself to be conforming himself to Jesus Christ whom he considers the head of that Church. I would sooner understand that of you as a RC, than a Protestant like Jasoncran who claims the Bible is his only authority.

“In the case of the relativist who worships at the altar of individuality, it is much more difficult. Unfortunately, he must rely on his own fallen ability to filter out what is from his own whims, the devil, other people, and God. Experience proves that this just doesn't work. Subjective thought can only take us so far.â€

I see you’ve already determined in your own mind the definition of what I am. A rather vituperative definition, I might add.

If I might suggest. You seem to have a deep seated prejudice against Protestants, or maybe a certain kind of Protestant, that has revealed itself in these posts. If you’re believing in your Church alone you need to turn to Jesus Christ. But you appear to believe in both Jesus Christ and your Church. I really haven’t a quarrel with that since we have common ground in Jesus Christ.

I’m not a Protestant, I don’t believe in Sola Scriptura, I don’t believe in Sola Fides. My faith in Jesus is individual, which is the only way it can be for anyone. I put no faith in Christian organizations, including the RCC. I don’t rely on my fallen ability, I rely on walking by the Spirit. If you can only see your Church as the source of objectivity, then you aren’t going to understand why I believe what I believe is not due to personal subjectivity.

FC

Webb

Universal “Church†(all KJV)

Mt 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

The rock is Peter. To not believe that you have to do something that has been done for centuries. Explain the rock as anything or anyone except Peter.

The ekklesia here is the ekklesia in Jerusalem. An asinine opinion to Catholic and Protestants alike. Peter was the rock or strong leader in that Church as seen in the first fifteen chapters of Acts. The gates of hell didn’t prevail against the ekklesia in Jerusalem, and it still exists today. Jesus was talking about the first ekklesia.

Ephesians 1
22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,
23 Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

The context of these verses includes,

Eph 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus

The context is the local ekklesia in Ephesus. Of course, context doesn’t matter in this case for those who think it is a reference to the universal Church. What does matter is the church is his body. That’s all they see. Expression has no place in that thinking.

Eph 4:4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling

The word ekklesia doesn’t even occur in this chapter. What you are no doubt thinking of is the “one bodyâ€. Which is indeed universal.

I would have expected Eph 5:22-33, which is the one usually brought up. But again the context is a local ekklesia.

It must be made clear even though the context of all verses on the ekklesia is a particular ekklesia or group of ekklesia (i.e., Gal 1:2), they apply to all ekklesia in all eras because the life within is timeless.

FC

Here you are presuming that the Creeds are not based on the Bible, something you have yet to prove.

It has been reproved. Citing semantics and being non-applicable are your deflections.

The vast majority of believers didn't have the available Scriptures and most were illiterate. Creeds were a very good way of presenting believers with the
core, biblical Christian doctrines in a way that was easy to memorize.

That is the patented rationalization handed down: I am aware of it.

Again, you have yet to show any error in them.

When one has been raised on a creed: then like me: I will fail to see that the church, and those I have trusted around me to know what they are doing when citing the creeds are actually going against scripture: not just for the content within: but for even citing a creed as an agreement with other believers, even with those that we know are using the same creeds in opposing themselves.

The poster, "francis", has proven that quite well in this thread as he has claimed them to be Catholic creeds. Do you find it circumspectual that he is defending the creeds for Protestants to continue citing them?

Do you not believe the Trinity? Do you not believe that the Trinity is God just as the Father and Son are also God? Does the Bible say to worship God?

The Bible says to worship God by honouring the Father through the Son: What you say as non-applicable is an oversight on your part considering that verse 22 states how believers will be judged by.

John 5:22For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son: 23That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

This is the problem with proof-texting and not taking Scriptures as a whole. All sorts of strange ideas result from it.

I see what you call as proof texting as my taking the Bible as a whole in reproving a practise that is based on assumptions and not on scriptures.

You do not have a single verse that says we are to worship the Holy Spirit with the Father and the Son: You do not have a single verse that validates worshipping the Holy Spirit all by Himself. You do not have a verse that invites believers to come to the Spirit: you do not have a verse that invites believers to pray to the Spirit:

But because of other spirits in the world and how the world seeks after familiar spirits and worships spirits: I see by the scriptures why God the fatehr is reconciling the world through His Son only so as to avoid false spirits. Those in the world would bring in their parctises and their spirits, calling them the Holy Spirit, when honouring the Son would keep that out which is what the Holy Spirit Whom is God also, is leading us to do as it is the name of Jesus that is above every other name and not the name of "Trinity".

This is why all invitations points to the Son: and by honouring the Son we as led by the Spirit of God within us will testify of the Son in seeking His glory.

The Nicene creed goes against scripture and so resorting to modern Bibles to justify changing the small "s" to the big "S" is ignoring the fact that the Holy Spirit seeks to lead believers to testify of the Son in seeking His glory as the Holy Spirit will not speak of Himself in leading a believer to speak of the Holy Spirit in seeking the glory of the Holy Spirit.

As both creeds are claimed as Catholic creeds: I find it circumspectual that no one has been led by the Lord to create a far more differentiating creed that cannot be claimed as Catholic nor agreed with by Catholics in standing apart for the faith.

Hi Free---Somehow I overlooked your answer a few pages back. Will make a quick answer. I see you are from Canada. I took a very sweet and beautiful bride from Canada, don't know what I'd do without her.
Free wrote of the passage I submitted for the all sufficiency of the scripture (II Pet.1:1-3: " I (meaning Free) ignored it because it does nothing to support your argument--" But, Free, from those 3 verses I made 7 points, none of which you attempted to answer. You just ignored it. You didn't address one point.

I (Webb) wrote: "If any creed has error in it it cannot be valid and I've read many that have." You (Free) answered: "If you think that is the case, then back that with proof." Well, yes,I will. The Manual for one church holds that Jesus is the only person in the Godhead, pg. 16,17. Do you believe that? Thats only a sample but I rest my case of that.

Free wrote: "the creeds are sumations of core christian doctrine, based on what the Bible says, for easy memorization. Perfect for a largeliy illiterate population at that time." Well, Free, the above example I gave is not a "core christian doctrine" is it. AND if the creedss were "PERFECT" for a "largely illiterate population" then God failed in giving us the Bible and had to wait for these uninspired creed writers to give us something more understandable. That IMPEACHES the OMNIFICENTS of God. James writes of the "perfect law of liberty" James 1:25. God's word is perfect, not man's creeds! Man!

I believe there is no universal Church.

I think you need to qualify that, because further in this very post, you state otherwise. Attempting to follow your line of thought has proven to be difficult, because you state this, and then speak of a local v universal church elsewhere!

I believe that in relation to Christianity, there are universal denominations.

Again, maybe you may want to think this through some more. Universal denominations? It is a contradictory idea. A universal ideal opposes the ideal of self-determinate denominations.

Either there is one Church, one faith, one baptism, or there is many churches, many faiths, many means of entering the Kingdom - and many ideas of Who God is... Certainly, there are local communities - and no doubt, they have a diverse variety of devotionals and prayer life. Cultural methods of praising God. But they all possess the same creed, enter the Church through the same sacrament, and consider themselves part of the one, holy, catholic and apostolic community.

THIS is self-evident when the same man, Paul, writes to a variety of different communities - and these letters are quite interchangeable. Letters by Paul to the Corinthians could just as easily been written to the Galatians (minus some personal aspects). Or they could have been written to the communities in the 21st century. IF the Church was not universal in the more literal sense (rather than just metaphysicals such as "the Body of Christ), then the varies locals would not accept letters written by a different "denominational apostle"

And I’m sorry, but I include the RCC in that belief. I believe that the ekklesia, as described in the Bible, each of which is local in nature being associated only with cities, are each intended to be an expression of that which is universal, described in various ways in the Bible. Such as the Body of Christ, the Temple as the residence of God, and the Kingdom of the Son as the authority of Christ. Even the New Jerusalem that is currently in heaven.

They are indeed. And it follows that these local expressions point to something in reality, which you deny! The very fact that authority is held equally by Paul in all Christian communities expresses a very VISIBLE universal authority. This visible authority continues.

It must also be understood that I believe the ekklesia continues to exist without expression today. That in every city wherein resides those who are in Christ, there is an ekklesia.

The Body of Christ exists in visible form. For example, when Jesus told the Apostles in Matt 18 to "take it to the Church", Jesus clearly had in mind a visible and known commodity of authority that was accepted by all Christians. HOW can a disagreement be successfully resolved if no one accepts the "take it to the Church" authority? The "invisible Church" ideal is only part of the reality, a partial truth. The bible clearly points to a VISIBLE Church, as well. This visible Church is also catholic - meaning, universal.

“You clearly don't know me, nor do you know what the Catholic Church teaches.â€

I really made you mad didn’t I? I really do apologize. You previously said I knew more than most about Catholic teaching. I guess you take that back now.

I am not mad, but the generalizations are unfair. ALL Catholics do not follow your cliche.

“But of course, you won't answer because of MY stubborness??? â€

I haven’t answered before now because I didn’t have the time before now. And I wasn’t going to answer at all because you intimated that the conversation was over. I didn’t know any other meaning for “this is my last postâ€. I may be guilty of what I apologized for. But I can’t take the blame here.

You are misunderstanding this comment. Your "won't answer" is not about cutting off conversation, but your desire not to "speak to a Catholic because I already know the answer - they all do "x"..."

The "X" above revolves around the apparent and suppposed stubborness of all Catholics (because we all are brainwashed and can't think for themselves) where common and decent conversation are apparently not possible. Call it "poisoning the well", call it "ad hominem", call it "false generalizations", call it "saving face". whatever. That was what my comment was based upon. Not anger. More sarcasm than anger. You have to say a lot more than that here. This forum has taught me to develop thick skin.

“Yep. Adam blamed Eve, Eve blamed the serpent, and FC blames the Catholic...â€

I haven’t blamed you for anything that I recall.

See my last comment and it might sink in...

But then, I never take the time to peruse what I said in the past. If I did, again I apologize. I posted the original post expecting a reaction. But not this kind of reaction. That I didn’t expect. And that is a sign of stupidity on my part, because I should have expected it. Catholics who are apologists for their faith are usually like Protestant Fundamentalists. And you certainly are showing that trait now.

If you mean "apologists are zealous", fair enough. But it doesn't mean that I cannot accept criticism or be shown a point of view that might make better sense or one that explains one's view. Usually, though, I am confronted with "because I said so" from the little "popettes" out there.

“First, you must realize that the Church is a human and divine organization. It lives here on earth among society. You cannot escape that fact. We can make analogies with secular organizations because they BOTH consist of human members!!!â€

I would agree if only the human was in view. But I have to disagree with that because of the Divine aspect of “the Churchâ€.

Step back for a second...

How do we know about God? By Jesus, correct? Now, Jesus is in the flesh, correct? According to your logic, we cannot know about God through human means because of the divine aspect of Christ? Jesus, in the flesh, enables us to use analogy to "see" God. In the same manner, although the Church is divine and human, we can use human analogy in SOME cases to discuss aspects of the Church, since the Church is made up of human members. Remember, Jesus is God and man, so the fact that the Church is Divine does not prevent us from using human metaphors or analogies to come to SOME understanding of the Church.

“The point of my suggestion was to help you reflect on why the Church would consider closed communion. I don't see the reason as so different. It was an attempt to think without the bias usually attached by you to thinking about ANYTHING associated with the "C" word... It appears that all rational thought shuts down over there when someone brings out the "C" word. So I had hoped to enable you to think through an example that would not raise such a big stink with you.â€

Generally, when Catholics use the word catholic and the word Church, they are referring to their own Church. You have clearly pointed out that is a misconception in regard to you on this forum. You are referring to something that goes beyond the RCC. A universal Church that includes Protestants. Am I right?

Yes. That is why I rarely use the term "RCC". "Roman" is only one group of Catholics, and as such cannot be the Universal Church in its entirety. There is only one Church, which subsists in the Catholic Church. Other individuals are part of this Church via their baptism (when validly performed). They are not attached to another Church of Christ, since there is only one universal (catholic) Church. Many of my separated brothers maintain their original catholic beliefs - even reciting the Creed stating their beliefs in unision with ours. Ecclesiastically, we are separated, true. but in many things, we are not.

“But given how our conversations have gone, with your constant accusations of MY stubborness (that usually is the claim from the self-proclaimed relativist who is challenged), it is not surprising that you respond as such.â€

Now wait just a minute. We’ve had a handful of conversations. And they’ve all been friendly up to now. And that’s what fooled me. I had no idea you were this humorless or this serious. I will take the blame for this one incident. Since you perceive it as my fault. But you really need to chill out.

Hopefully, my explanation above will iron this out, as well.

I am not being "unfriendly", but we cannot have friendly conversation while your false generalizations/poisoning the well - whatever - remain unanswered. I am hopeful that you won't need to be reminded of that again.

Yeah, I can buy that. A person conforming himself to an organization that he believes is the “true Churchâ€, might well consider himself to be conforming himself to Jesus Christ whom he considers the head of that Church. I would sooner understand that of you as a RC, than a Protestant like Jasoncran who claims the Bible is his only authority.

Trust me, personally, I am a non-conformist. Becoming a Catholic is not "natural" for my personality. But if a person gets to that acceptance of what the Catholic Church is and what it claims to be, the rest follows, with the grace of God.

If I might suggest. You seem to have a deep seated prejudice against Protestants, or maybe a certain kind of Protestant, that has revealed itself in these posts. If you’re believing in your Church alone you need to turn to Jesus Christ. But you appear to believe in both Jesus Christ and your Church. I really haven’t a quarrel with that since we have common ground in Jesus Christ.

If I had something against Protestants, why would I speak in public and say that we are part of the same Catholic Church??? Don't you find your conclusion odd?

I’m not a Protestant, I don’t believe in Sola Scriptura, I don’t believe in Sola Fides.

Sure you are, just not of any of the so-called 'classical reformers'.

My faith in Jesus is individual, which is the only way it can be for anyone.

That is only partially true.

I put no faith in Christian organizations, including the RCC.

My faith is not IN the "RCC", but in the Spirit that upholds it. If it wasn't for the Spirit of God, I couldn't remain in the "RCC" while hearing about priests abusing teenage boys or other such items. The "field" has wheat and tares...

I don’t rely on my fallen ability, I rely on walking by the Spirit.If you can only see your Church as the source of objectivity, then you aren’t going to understand why I believe what I believe is not due to personal subjectivity.

The "RCC" is not the "source of objectivity", God is. He has promised to speak THROUGH the "one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church" - Jesus made that clear.

You rely on your fallen ability to filter out what is true doctrine and what is not. This is the exact reason Jesus left us a church - to spread the Good News, not to hand us a bible and "figure it out between you and the Spirit of God". It is perfectly clear where denominations come from - the attitude that one's subjective personality has the answers.

Regards

Free, in my last paragraph I left some words out and intended to say " if God failed to give us a Bible we can understand--"

Also, previously I did misquote you using the term "hard core" when you only said "core" Guess I was just used to using the term "hard core" in my own speech.

Thank you Francis for the link, I think it will be helpful to me in my studies.

Now to your reply. You wrote: "This mereliy proves my point that moving AWAY from the Church's creed leads to false teachings and ignorance on the truths God has revealed." It is my understanding that men have moved away from Christ, and in so doing have moved away from His church. In the very real sense the Lord's church does not have a creed, unless we say that Christ is that creed. Paul said "I am determined to know nothing among you except Christ Jesus--". We shall be judged by the words of Christ (John 12:48 ) not the words of uninspired creeds of uninspired men whoever they may be.

You wrote: "These guys had the Holy Bible and still couldn't figure it out---". I don't follow that statement, WHO are "these guys"?

You wrote: "There are no verses in either case, whether to have specific creeds or not." I take the stand that its this sort of thinking that has allowed and opened the door for anything and everything men want to tag on to the church. No wonder we have so much confusion. The Bible teaches by direct positive commands as for example Jesus said of the supper, "this do in remembrance of me." Granted, we have no direct command in scripture saying in effect: Thou shalt not make unto thee any written creeds by uninspired men." If God had to put in His book a thou shalt not for every thing we are not to do it would be such a heavy and large Bible we could not pick it up, and most do not really read and study the small book He gave us. I believe the Bible also teaches by approved examples. For example, going back to the supper we find the example of Christians in Troas observing it on the "first day of the week" in Acts 20. Of course there is no example of anyone in the NT trying to write his own creed but the Bible teaches as I understand in yet a third way: by necessary inference. Things may be necessariliy inferred. I be the scriptures necessarily infer that modern creeds are unscriptural as well as anti-scriptural.

You wrote: "Thus, it goes without saying that they sat down together and formulated what they believed in easy-to-remember statements for the purpose of evangelizing and baptism." I do not find in scripture where the apostles "sat down" to "formulate" anything of the sort. It was not a pick and choose thing. I have alreadiy submitted from John 14:26 that Jesus told those apostles the Holy Spirit would "teach them ALL (mine, Webb) things, and bring ALL (mine, Webb) things to your (the apostles, mine, Webb) remembrance, WHATSOEVER (mine, Webb) I have said unto you." And John 16:13, " Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into ALL (mine, Webb) truth--". Theiy didn't have to "formalate" it was given them, all of it by the Spirit what Jesus taught which teaching we will be judged by, Jn.12:48.

Thank you for your patience Francis. I have a request. How old must a child be to be baptized and how is it performed in the Roman Catholic Church?
God bless.

Hello FormerChristian

Will you please provide the scriptiure of scriptures which teach that Peteris the rock upon which the church is built?

I have not said the church in Ephesus was the iuniversal church, neither do I believe that.

There is but ONE body, Eph.4:4. Now, WHAT is that ONE BODY? Its the CHURCH, Eph.1:22,23. Colossians 1:18 teaches the same! Paul says about the same thing again in Eph.5:23. If there is "ONE BODY", and the CHURCH is tihe ONE BODY then there is but ONE CHURCH which is the ONE BODY. Paul said in Eph. 5:23 that Jesus is the saviour of the body WHICH IS THE CHURCH, which is the BODY. The church therefore is NOT the saviour but rather that which is to be saved and Christ is its saviour. Thus if one wishes to be saved he must be in that which Christ saves, the one body the church.

Thank you Francis for the link, I think it will be helpful to me in my studies.

Now to your reply. You wrote: "This mereliy proves my point that moving AWAY from the Church's creed leads to false teachings and ignorance on the truths God has revealed." It is my understanding that men have moved away from Christ, and in so doing have moved away from His church.

I am not sure that is always the case, but there appears to be a disconnect between Christ and His Church in the minds of many people. Metaphysically, you cannot be in one camp or the other. If one is a follower of Christ in the true sense of the word, a disciple who takes the narrow road, one is also a member of the Church, even if not ecclesiastically. This idea developed over many years, I believe. I think it especially became a subject of reflection when the Spaniards discovered the New World. The question "would God condemn all of mankind in the New World before Catholicism spread, merely because men were born in the wrong time?" must have been a difficult one to answer - if one subscribes to "the Catholic Church IS the Church of Christ and anyone not ecclesiastically Catholic cannot be saved".

In the very real sense the Lord's church does not have a creed, unless we say that Christ is that creed. Paul said "I am determined to know nothing among you except Christ Jesus--". We shall be judged by the words of Christ (John 12:48 ) not the words of uninspired creeds of uninspired men whoever they may be.

The words of a creed express what we believe ABOUT Christ and Divine revelation. They express what the Church believes about Jesus. Do you doubt that Jesus was "crucified by Pontius Pilate"? Is this not Scriptures? All of it is taken, either explicitly or implicitly, from Sacred Scriptures. It is a handy set of phrases MEANT FOR MEMORIZATION. Thus, the catechumens (those desiring to be baptized) were instructed to memorize the Creed and recite it ("give it back") during the Baptismal ceremony. By agreeing to what the Church teaches as expressed in the Creed, they were indeed stating "I believe what the Church teaches about God"

When you say "know nothing but Christ", the Creed includes knowledge about Christ - that is its entire purpose. Have you read it?

You mention "uninspired men". I don't find any verse in Scriptures that require our obedience ONLY to "inspired men". As Paul mentions, Christ Himself placed men in authority over other Christians - uninspired ones, too. He gave us pastors, preachers, prophets, teachers, etc., and not all were writers of Sacred Scriptures. The distinction between "uninspired" and "inspired" is an invented one not found in Scriptures. ANYONE in authority, including secular authority, is owed our obedience, as long as we are not commanded to disobey God's Laws.

Nothing about whether Caesar is inspired or not. We still pay our taxes and obey the Law of Caesar. There is certainly a reason for this.

You wrote: "These guys had the Holy Bible and still couldn't figure it out---". I don't follow that statement, WHO are "these guys"?

The people who disbelieve or have problems with the Creed...

You wrote: "There are no verses in either case, whether to have specific creeds or not." I take the stand that its this sort of thinking that has allowed and opened the door for anything and everything men want to tag on to the church.

You are binding me to an unbiblical warrant because you don't find any mention of "Creed" in Scriptures. Where exactly do you find this rule to bind me with? It sounds more like a tradition of men - one that people invent to circumvent the will of God. By not having a creed in your "group", people can believe whatever suits their fancy, while still "claiming to be one". It is false fellowship.

No wonder we have so much confusion. The Bible teaches by direct positive commands as for example Jesus said of the supper, "this do in remembrance of me." Granted, we have no direct command in scripture saying in effect: Thou shalt not make unto thee any written creeds by uninspired men." If God had to put in His book a thou shalt not for every thing we are not to do it would be such a heavy and large Bible we could not pick it up, and most do not really read and study the small book He gave us.

But yet you insist that we cannot have a creed, despite their being nothing said about preventing it... Writings of this era make it clear that there WERE "rules of faith" used during baptismal ceremonies that briefly set out the beliefs of the nascent church. What part of that don't you like - and WHY do we not find Peter or Paul coming out and saying NOT to have a creed?

Frankly, I still don't understand your argument against one. You talk about people going this way or that away from a creed, but is that the fault of HAVING a creed, or that people themselves are the issue, blown this way and that?

I believe the Bible also teaches by approved examples. For example, going back to the supper we find the example of Christians in Troas observing it on the "first day of the week" in Acts 20. Of course there is no example of anyone in the NT trying to write his own creed but the Bible teaches as I understand in yet a third way: by necessary inference. Things may be necessariliy inferred. I be the scriptures necessarily infer that modern creeds are unscriptural as well as anti-scriptural.

Agreed. But I don't see your point, except to say that this more likely opens the door to having a creed by inference.

You wrote: "Thus, it goes without saying that they sat down together and formulated what they believed in easy-to-remember statements for the purpose of evangelizing and baptism." I do not find in scripture where the apostles "sat down" to "formulate" anything of the sort.

Paul wrote to the Galatians that he did just that... It is common sense that the 12 would discuss that INCREDIBLE event(s) that they witnessed. It is virtually incredible to think they never talked amongst themselves!

And don't forget about the role of Mary in all of this. How else would you think that Luke and Matthew got their material, if not "sitting down and formulating" what happened. How would they have known about the Holy Spirit conceiving the Christ in Mary's womb? And when I mean "formulate", that doesn't mean they invented things, but that they put into understandable formulas and phrases what they witnessed and believed.

It was not a pick and choose thing.

In one aspect, it was, because everything that Jesus did was not recorded. EACH evangelist wrote on different topics. Only one miracle is recorded in all four gospels. Paul did not discuss all doctrines of Christianity with each letter. They obviously "picked and choose" what to include and what to leave out, based upon how God inspired them and their own human literary genius.

I have alreadiy submitted from John 14:26 that Jesus told those apostles the Holy Spirit would "teach them ALL (mine, Webb) things, and bring ALL (mine, Webb) things to your (the apostles, mine, Webb) remembrance, WHATSOEVER (mine, Webb) I have said unto you."

That can be taken to mean that "ALL THAT GOD HAS DECIDED TO REVEAL TO YOU". It doesn't mean that the Apostles knew everything about God from the moment of Pentacost. Do you think that the Apostles were suddenly aware of the New World? Or about quantum physics? "ALL" does not mean "everything" here.

A simple reading of Acts and the decision on circumcision should quickly dispel your idea. God desires that we have faith. It is my opinion that God did not take away the Apostle's opportunity for a living faith (re-read Hebrews 11 for the definition of faith, which implies some lack of knowledge!) by "filling them in on everything". John also wrote that no one has seen God and that no one knows what we will become. No, the Apostles didn't know everything, but they perfectly passed down the faith that God desired them to know and teach.

Thank you for your patience Francis. I have a request. How old must a child be to be baptized and how is it performed in the Roman Catholic Church?
God bless.

I thank you for yours, as well.

As to age, I think their is technically no age limit, as God can send His Spirit when He wills at any age. Howver, the "RCC" does desire that the parents are aware of what they ask for (since that is the role of the parents, to act as proxies for the faith of the child) and promise to raise their child in the faith, as their responsibility as parents. Because this requires a class or two, that means that the child will generally be a few months old before the baptism.

Regards

Discussion of Catholic doctrine will be allowed in the One on One Debate Forum and End Times forum only. RCC content in the End Times forum should relate to End Times beliefs. Do not start new topics elsewhere or sway existing threads toward a discussion or debate that is Catholic in nature.

From post 1 this has been an anti Catholic thread. I will give ya all some time to figure out what you want to do or where you want me to place this thread. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Francis as much as I would have liked to answer some of the matters of your last post it appears that our moderater has had enough. Maybe another time? God bless and take care and thank you for your patience.---Webb.

Francis

ditto, what Webb said

Reba

I apologize for my part in your accusation. I have a personal law that is never argue with a Catholic. I have a similar law about Calvinists. Neither can even understand what I believe, let alone argue against it. Understandable since what I believe is so different from there own beliefs. I should have never broken my own law.

FC

Well Francis as much as I would have liked to answer some of the matters of your last post it appears that our moderater has had enough. Maybe another time? God bless and take care and thank you for your patience.---Webb.

OK. Whenever you want.

Take care

Back