Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Why is physical death needed for sins?

Drew, thanks for taking the time to discuss this on an intellectual level. I think that you seem to have an excellent grasp of spiritual things, and how to approach topics other than the "it just is that way", or "you're just on here to *fill in the blank*". Thank you!

aLoneVoice said:
Life is found in the blood. Atonement can only be made through the spilling of blood.

This is explained in the Scriptures. Does it really matter "WHY" it is that way? Or does there need to be a level of acceptance that it is that way - regardless if we understand the 'why' of it.

Something about having "faith' in things unseen....

Yes it matters, because blood isn't eternal. It is only specific to this fleeting period of time. And "atonement can only be made through the spilling of blood" is a Jewish/Old Testiment religious belief that (as Drew suggests) doesn't seem "technically plausible", especially the countless amounts of animal blood that was insufficient and ultimately vain. Which begs the question of why it was done for thousands of years when it was meaningless. But I digress.

The reason why I need to make sense of it is because I don't believe that every single word of the Canon (that men decided what was to be in and what was not to be in, and the misunderstandings/misinterpretations that took place over millenia) is directly from God. This statement isn't necessarily including this OP question, but certianly could. But for me to just say, "Well, okay, if I need to accept it regardless, even if it doesn't really make sense. . . .", then I would be "untrue to myself" because I would be lying to myself to take that stance. I like to understand the "why", and not rely on "blind faith" alone!

You two rely WAY too much on your wanting to understand everything about the nature of God and His reasons for why He does what He does and says what He says... when in fact the Bible speaks clearly that our capacity to grasp the things of God is extremely hindered, dare I even say impossible.

Proverbs 3:5-7 is one of just many passages.

Yes it matters, because blood isn't eternal. It is only specific to this fleeting period of time. And "atonement can only be made through the spilling of blood" is a Jewish/Old Testiment religious belief that (as Drew suggests) doesn't seem "technically plausible", especially the countless amounts of animal blood that was insufficient and ultimately vain. Which begs the question of why it was done for thousands of years when it was meaningless. But I digress.
Actually, no, it doesn't matter. Anyone that says life is not in the blood hasn't really studied this from the beginning to what culminated at the Cross. To do so denies some basic words from Jesus Himself. The OT got it right when the writers talk about the life being in the blood and the shedding of blood being an atonement for the remission of our transgressions, albeit only temporary in OT times. Why is it right? It was handed down to them by God and ordained by Him!

People, when dealing with the concept of forgiveness of sin and things to come concerning Messianic prophesy and a once and for all forgiveness, this is rudimentary stuff. Put away your need to know everything (a waste of time because we will never know all in this lifetime) and allow the Spirit to guide you in things of the supernatural.

God asked me to tell you that. ;-)

I know that "life is in the blood", but not spiritual life. Blood is just a function of an earthly life and doesn't last. It is temporary.

I'm not arrogant enough to believe that I could know all there was about a being that we call "God". However, there are things that are inconsistant enough and have "other sides" to them that they need to be discussed. This is one of them.

Again, I'm not a "Bible literalist". I don't see every word as coming from God. God is supposed to be the same "yesterday, today, and forever". If he was THAT involved back then (personally writing every word that we see in the Bible), then God isn't doing that today. I know you'd say that "it's all been written, so there's no need for God to give more". But what I'm saying is that, IF God was that involved with humans back then, it definitely isn't the case now. We have to take everything on pure faith, and even that all the Bible was God's own words. I'm getting side tracked here a bit, but this is my general question that encompases most of my questions on here.

aLoneVoice said:
Life is found in the blood. Atonement can only be made through the spilling of blood.

This is explained in the Scriptures.
This may indeed be part of a case as to why the shedding of innocent blood is effective for the remission of sins. But I would be surprised if you would expect this to be "the whole story" (any more than what I posted was the whole story). A range of questions remain unanswered by the above including:

- Even if blood is "where life is found", in what way does the spilling of the "life" of an innocent person specifically solve the problem of sin?

As I said, though, I think what you post is part of some kind of credible answer.

aLoneVoice said:
Does it really matter "WHY" it is that way? Or does there need to be a level of acceptance that it is that way - regardless if we understand the 'why' of it.

Something about having "faith' in things unseen....
You almost seem to be arguing that we who try to understand these things are not exhibiting faith. I cannot imagine how one could argue that it is not wise to try to make sense of how God acts in the world and to then communicate that to others in order to "give a defence for the hope that is in us". Of course, some of God's ways are mysterious and incomprehensible. But, by way of example, do we not gain an increased sense of God's sovereignty by trying to see the rich ways in which God works through history to be faithful to His covnenant? This takes intellectual effort and fierce curiosity. But the rewards are rich and have powerful effect on acts of evangelism.

Good words, Drew.

Here's the thing. Jesus dies on the cross, but the death was only physical. He was ressurected afterwards. If Jesus's death on the cross was physical, the "shedding of blood for sins", then that sin payment isn't the same as the payment we pay if WE die for our own sins. Eternal separation. So the act of physical death (or it just the "shedding of blood", which would bring up the question, did the sacrifice need to shed ALL the blood :-? ) from Jesus, if it covers the sins of the world, then the effect of it would be that all sins are forgiven regardless of when they are committed.

So that makes "separation from God" because of "disbelief" or being born a Hindu, not because of "sin".

So, back to OP, and as Drew said, there has to be some other factor involved than just physical death. "Without the shedding of blood, there is no forgiveness of sin". Does that automatically mean death? Couldn't the shedding of even a drop of the blood from the Son of God be more than enough to cover sin?

Hi Orion, you like the tough questions don't you! :wink:

After reading through this thread for a couple of days now, thinking over and double checking some things, I'm going to take a stab at trying to come up with a coherent answer. Because I've taken so long to jump in, my post is going to be somewhat long. :o Please bear with me.

Drew, it's going to sound as though I'm totally disagreeing with you, and I'm not. I thought your point about reality as being monistic was well taken and spot on. So, now I'm going to divide the body and spirit again! Again, bear with me.

You've heard the phrase, "From the moment you're born, you're dying." (Maybe not, but my older brother used to scare the heck out of me with that one.) Anyway, there's a lot of truth in this. Although we are alive, we are physically dying in the sense that our bodies are undergoing a process which will ultimately cause total breakdown and back to dust we go. Spiritually, we take a somewhat different track. Once we sin, we die spiritually. The spiritual death is much more sudden a thing. Some theologians argue that we are born spiritually dead, I believe that spiritual death takes place upon one's first willful sin against God. No matter, the point is, once sin enters the picture our spirit undergoes death. Our bodies do as well, but it's a slower process.

It's this somewhat confused dual track that we are on that causes us to forget exactly what Drew pointed out, that there really isn't a "spiritual" and a "physical" in the sense that the one has nothing to do with the other. I agree that reality is monistic, but nonetheless our physical bodies and our spirits have, as the result of sin, been ...fractured might be a good word. It's this fracture that causes us to walk around and talk and make love and drive a Jaguar, all the while we are in the death throes. It's also what can cause someone to go to church every Sunday, take communion, be baptized and still yet be spiritually dead.

There will come a time when the body and spirit will be made whole once more. This is the promise of the resurrection. One day, we will be restored to what we were meant to be, monistic in the truest sense, just as Adam and Eve were before the Fall, and just as Jesus is now, sitting in Heaven.

The answer to your question Orion, lies in this: The Fracture of our bodies and spirits is part of God's plan of grace. By allowing our physical and our spiritual to operate separately for awhile, He gave all of mankind an opportunity to be restored to eternal life. If we fail to avail ourselves of this opportunity, once our bodies and spirits are restored, we will finally undergo the second death, which is eternal.

Again, the penality of sin is death, complete death, both physical and spiritual. So, when Jesus offered His life in exchange, it was His full life, both physical and spiritual, that He offered.

Orion, you said somewhere in the context of this conversation that Jesus death was "only physical". This is incorrect. Remember the gut-wrenching cry He made from the cross, "My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me." Jesus DID undergo spiritual death in that He was separated for a time from the Father. There was a time when Jesus was dead both physically and spiritually. But, upon resurrection, His body and spirit were reunited and whole again, just as ours will be.

God was appeased by Jesus' sacrificial death. And, since He was appeased by it, the wages of death were paid. Jesus, being innocent all along, was restored to life. So, now there is a valid plan of salvation in place to those who avail themselves of it. Remember there is one and only one 'unforgivable sin'. That is blaspheme of the Holy Spirit. There have been a lot of ideas, some downright silly, of what blaspheme of the Holy Spirit is. The truth of the matter, it isn't very complicated. It is the work of the Holy Spirit to bring about our regeneration. As He brings to us the salvation of God, and we reject it, we've blasphemed Him. Ergo, no salvation for us.

Which brings us to the eternal question of the poor schmuck who lived in the Amazon rainforests about 200 years BC. What of his salvation, if he never had any opportunity to hear of God and His plan of salvation. I believe Romans 1:18-20 answers that question clearly, even though we might not like the answer much. The phrase in Romans 1:19, "for God made it evident to them" is the key phrase which speaks of the work of the Spirit within these men. One thing I get out of Romans 1, is that God does deal with these men, via what they could and did know.

However many (including us) are priviledged to know much more than such a man, and we're not accountable for what he knew then but what we know now.

Which brings me to the animal sacrifices. Drew is again correct when he pointed out that the animal sacrifices themselves didn't accomplish the forgiveness of sins. If they could have done such a thing, then there would have been no reason for Jesus to have died. What saved the Old Testament believers was their faith, as is clearly explained in Hebrews 11. Because they had faith, and put shoes on their faith by being obedient to God's commandments, they are partakers of salvation, just as we are who put our faith in the finished work of Christ.

But, there was a bloodbath going on in the temple of God for thousands of years. If the animal sacrifices didn't forgive the sins, why then have them? I believe the answer to that was so that we would be partakers in the consequenses of sin. During one the sin atonements, the person bringing the sacrifice had to actually place his hand on the head of the animal as it was being killed. Being a farm girl, I've put some animals to death, and believe me, it hits every physical sense. You see, you hear things, you feel things with your touch, you smell things, and as smell is so connected with taste, yes you taste things as well. It's all unpleasant. Before Christ's death, God did expect those who sought His forgiveness to partake at least somewhat in the ugly consequenses of sin and death. Why? I don't think anyone can actually claim to know the mind of God to say, but I believe it's that we can only have an inkling as to what true holiness is, and how much sin is an offense to His holiness. By sacrificing a pure and blameless animal, one actually participated in what it meant to be dead in sin.

I'm not pretending to have all the answers here Orion, and I don't want to fault you for asking the question. Quite honestly, when I first started reading the thread, I did think that perhaps you were just asking tough questions just to cause trouble. I've seen quite a few others do this at Christian forums. I don't think there is anything wrong with the questions you ask and if it helps you reconcile yourself to God, more power to you.

Just keep this in mind: You're not ever going to be held accountable for that which you do not know. The bottom line question we all have to face is, what are we going to do with what we do know?

Well, handy, . . . . You did speak truth when you said your post was going to be long! :wink:

I haven't really considered the idea of the personal struggle it may have been to take a lamb, . . . which are very cute, in my opinion, . . . taking it from it's frolicking, grabbing it up, holding it down while it is bleating, taking a knife and. . . .

I can see how that could cause inner reflection for that person. Or how it could cause inner reflection for those who looked on. The kids crying at the "offense". The sounds and struggles of the animal. . . . . . it would be VERY hard for me to watch that, personally.

I suppose that if I were among them, I would be beating myself up for the reason that the priest was doing what he was doing. I suppose it is a sad commentary on humanity that even that type of "sin offering" system didn't keep them from continuing to sin. I'm sure the first few times would have been a shocking event. I wonder if it eventually caused them to grow a "coldness" in their hearts to where the whole event no longer affected their spirits. Maybe that's why it eventually was seen as vain.

I've been discussing a topic that is very similar to your question, on a different DB Orion.

I am going to try to make it short and simple for you.

What God has to say about bloody sacrifices?

Isaiah 1:11 "To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices to Me?"
Says the Lord.
"I have had enough of burnt offerings of rams
And the fat of fed cattle.
I do not delight in the blood of bulls,
Or of lambs or goats.
12 When you come to appear before Me,
Who has required this from your hand
To trample My courts?
13 Bring no more futile sacrifices;
Incense is an abomination to Me.
The New Moons, the Sabbaths, and the calling of assemblies--
I cannot endure iniquity and the sacred meeting.
14 Your New Moons and your appointed feasts
My soul hates;
They are a trouble to Me,
I am weary of bearing them.
15 When you spread out your hands,
I will hide My eyes from you;
Even though you make many prayers,
I will not hear.
Your hands are full of blood.

What then does God require?

Psalm 32:5 Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lordâ€Â and you forgave the guilt of my sin.

Isaiah 1:16-19 Wash and make yourselves clean. Take your evil deeds out of my sight! Stop doing wrong, learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow.“Come now, let us reason together,†says the Lord. “Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool. If you are willing and obedient, you will eat the best from the land;"

Ezekiel 18:21-22 But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die. All his transgressions that he hath committed, they shall not be mentioned unto him: in his righteousness that he hath done he shall live

Let me answer your question with a question. Does God require blood for the payment of sin?

And thus the question "what is it in the shedding of blood that somehow washes sin?" becomes a non sequitur (if what appears to be true is indeed true).

Mark 10:45 For even the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

To whom is a ransom paid? If God is the one that required "the life in the blood" for the payment of sins, then Jesus paid ransom to God. Again, to whom is ransom paid? To the captor of the captive. Are we captives of God or captives of Satan in sin? Now you tell me who the captor was who required the shedding of blood!

TanNinety, sorry if I seem a bit dim. Are you trying to say that Jesus paid a ransom to Satan, and that it was Satan who instituted the blood sacrifices?

handy said:
TanNinety, sorry if I seem a bit dim. Are you trying to say that Jesus paid a ransom to Satan, and that it was Satan who instituted the blood sacrifices?

Thanks for the question handy. Helps me strengthen or revise my views.

In Matthew 9:5 we see that Jesus said, "Which is easier: to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up and walk’?". See how easier it was to forgive someone of their sins by simple words of forgiveness? According to Jesus it was easier to forgive the man's sin than to cure him.

John 5:19 Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

Jesus did not forgive people in anyway different than what He saw His Father in heaven do. If Jesus was looking unto the Father and did likewise and the Father required bloody sacrifice to forgive sins then wouldn't the son require so to forgive sins, yet he teaches us to forgive even our enemies without an apology let alone a bloody sacrifice?

~~~~~~~

Premise 1: Psalm 49:7 No man can by any means redeem his brother, nor give to God a ransom for him:
Premise 2: Mark 10:45 For even the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.
Premise 3: (God through prophet) Isaiah 1:12 When you come to appear before Me, Who has required this (burnt offerings of rams/fat of fed cattle/blood of bulls/lambs or goats) from your hand?

We do not need Satan to institute blood sacrifices handy, the religious men are often blood thirsty enough to institute it themselves.

From the above, the psalm says no man can redeem another by paying ransom to God. Mark says, ransom had been paid obviously by Christ with his (human)life (Even if you were a trinitarian you would agree that his divinity did not shed blood). So you tell me who the captor was that the ransom was paid to?

TanNinety, I'm not going to try to be arrogant or aggressive here, sometimes it's hard to make negative points with the written word without being offensive, so understand that while I'm going to disagree with you, I'm not trying to provoke you.

That said, I find it hard to understand why so many will "pick and choose" which Scriptures they want to believe and then reject any texts that don't fit in. Since you quote the Old Testatment, I assume you know of the many, many texts in the Old Testament that shows beyond any shadow of a doubt that it was indeed God who instituted the blood sacrifices. Since you quote the New, you should also be familiar with those texts, such as the one in Hebrews, which clearly states that without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sins.

Your point regarding what Jesus said has an alternative explanation which doesn't create conflicts within the Scriptures. Namely, that the reason why we can forgive sins easier than performing miracles is that Jesus, since the Garden, was planning on taking care of the penalty of sin for us.

If you are going to appeal to the Scriptures to explain your POV's, I for one, can't really take you seriously unless you can reconcile the view with ALL of the inspired Word, not just the one's that fit in. It's simply a matter of intellectual honesty.

Hopefully I'm not coming off as a snit by saying this, I'm not meaning to.

No offense taken handy and I hope you wouldn't find my response aggressive either.

As you have noted, that I pick and choose the scriptures, but I would like to remind you of what happened a very long time ago when scriptures were picked and chosen during the so called canonization. The difference between you and me is that you chose to believe all of the "pick and choose" scriptures that someone else compiled for you. Me? I like to compare the themes that are presented in these scriptures. If these themes contradict or seem to then I try to either reconcile them or cancel one of the themes out that does not align with the character of God.

So far the only answers that Orion has got in his quest for his question "why is shedding of blood necessary for remission of sins" are close to - "God's ways are mysterious ..take it on faith ..we don't need to understand it". Where's the intellectual honesty in that that you speak about? I could have taken up Islam, Hinduism and when confronted with inconsistencies in their scriptures what if they told me to "take it on faith"?

You said, "the reason why we can forgive sins easier than performing miracles is that Jesus, since the Garden, was planning on taking care of the penalty of sin for us."
If Jesus looking forward to the "plan of taking care of sin for us" is able to forgive sins without blood sacrifice then what stopped God the Father doing the same? How come God couldn't take this "plan to take care of sin" and just forgive people without ever spilling blood?

Let us say for arguments sake that God did institute the blood sacrifice. What part of Jesus' death falls under any of the instituted sacrifices?

Flaws:
1. Jesus was nailed to the cross. His head wasn't slaughtered on an altar.
2. Roman soldiers nailed Him. Priests weren't involved.
3. The blood was spilled outside the temple. Not on the altar.
4. The actual goat that atoned for sins was left into the wilderness ALIVE. Jesus was murdered not left into the wilderness to carry away our sins.

What part of my previous post was inconsistent or that you find flaw with?

~~~~~~~

Proverbs 16:6 Through love and faithfulness sin is atoned for; through the fear of the Lord a man avoids evil.

Micah 6:6-8 "With what shall I come to the Lord, and bow myself before the God on high? Shall I come to Him with burnt offerings, with yearling calves? Does God take delight in thousands of rams, in ten thousand rivers of oil? Shall I present my firstborn for my rebellious acts, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul? He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does God require of you but to do justice, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God"

I do not find the need to reconcile the truth with a lie. I will let the scribes with their lying pens stand their trial before God. If I follow your Christian logic, hypothetically we could slaughter Mother Theresa on the altar to temporarily atone for the sins of Hitler until he sins again. :sad

Thanks for joining in the discusion, TanNinety. I tend to view things more your way. Some of what you say is thought provoking. :)

Hi, I've been wanting to continue this discussion but it's been a little crazy this weekend with my daughter having a friend to sleep-over and my in-laws cutting their vacation short because my f-i-l apparently developed pneumonia while they were traveling. With things the way they are, I'm not sure how much on-line time I'll have in the next few days.

But, I am thinking things over and do plan to respond.

While I'm thinking things over, TanNinety could you please answer your question, "To whom is a ransom paid" and "who the captor was who required the shedding of blood"?

My answer of course was that it was the Father. I've been wondering what you believe is the answer of Mark 10:45.

Take your time in your responses handy. I understand how hard it is to get some spare time with family around.

For the question, "who is the captor that required the shedding of blood", we need to look at Matthew 21:33-46. (Parable of the evil tenants)

When the King sent His Son to collect the fruits of His vineyard, the husbandsmen captured the Son and slew Him. They are the ones that shed His blood. By the end of the parable it becomes quite clear who these husbandsmen are. The very same sect of people who understood that Jesus was talking about them in the parable are the ones that required the shedding of blood for the forgiveness of sins.

As I have previously posted, our Father in heaven requires the calves of our lips to forgive our sins, i.e., a prayer from a repentant heart and nothing more. He taught His Son so. His Son taught us so.

TanNinety wrote on Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:20 pm
Mark 10:45 For even the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

To whom is a ransom paid? If God is the one that required "the life in the blood" for the payment of sins, then Jesus paid ransom to God. Again, to whom is ransom paid? To the captor of the captive. Are we captives of God or captives of Satan in sin? Now you tell me who the captor was who required the shedding of blood!

Since we’re all apologizing for offensive behavior, let me get my sorries in first, too. I’ll probably offend someone but I’m trying not to.

My 2 bit thought is that the ransom is more of an act of payment to put the balance back into the system. In order to give man free will, there would have to be a law put in place to deal with the unbalance of things messed up by various sins. If everything is God’s will, everything will go like clockwork, in perfect harmony, in perfect balance, but when you give other beings autonomy you have the opportunity for lots of inequity. The law that says “the soul that sins, it shall die“ in the spiritual sense coincides with “for every action there is an opposite and equal reaction†in the scientific or physical realms. These laws hold everything together and can’t be suspended except by equal and opposite forces and actions.

Man can’t give an imperfect life as payment for someone else’s sin. His life will be required to pay for his own sin. The reason an animal works temporarily is because it is a foreshadow of Christ’s and it is innocent of sin. I’m not pretending to know how all this works but I feel like it is the way it had to be set up in order for us to have free will and be accountable for our actions and still be redeemable. The reason that Christ can give his life is because he was not required to die for his own sin. His death counterbalanced the sin of Adam and ‘reversed the curse’ so to speak.

Back