Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Why is there so much Anti-Semitism?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

T. E. Smith

Romantic Rationalist
It seems to me that there is perhaps more sentiment hostile to Jews than any other people group. Martin Luther infamously wrote of "the Jews and their lies". He said,
The Jews are base, whoring people, that is, no people of God, and their boast of lineage, circumcision, and law must be accounted as filth.
They are full of devil's feces, which they wallow in like swine.
Their synagogue is a defiled bride, yes, an incorrigible whore and an evil slut.
He said that their synagogues should be lit on fire, prayer books destroyed, Rabbis forbidden to preach. He even advocated their slaying:
There is no other explanation for this than the one cited earlier from Moses - namely, that God has struck [the Jews] with 'madness and blindness and confusion of mind'. So we are even at fault in not avenging all this innocent blood of our Lord and of the Christians which they shed for three hundred years after the destruction of Jerusalem, and the blood of the children they have shed since then (which still shines forth from their eyes and their skin). We are at fault in not slaying them.
He was German of course, and so was Hitler, who said he had a God-given mission to slay the Jews. Why could he have thought this? Perhaps because one of the most famous theologians, from his own country, said to do so.

Anti-Semitism is still rampant, as seen in Holocaust denial. The level of hostility to the Jewish people seems to exceed that given to any or at least most other groups. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this tragedy is so?

I do not see how this is relevant.
You thought bringing ip
past horrible deeds cause people to hate that group today. As you can, that is just not true. I only need mention other groups whose ancestors did horrible things to people. No one hates them today.

No Jewish persecution of Christians occurred before A.D. 70. Steven Katz (https://www.jstor.org/stable/3260313) argues that four things were done after A.D. 70:
  1. The circulation of official anti-Christian pronouncements
  2. The issuing of an official ban against Christians attending synagogue
  3. A prohibition against reading Christian writings
  4. The spreading of the curse against Christian heretics

You are joking right? Ever heard of the stoning of Steven? Ever hear of what Saul did before converted? Do you completely doubt every word of the New Testament?
None of these things remotely match the persecution of the Christians under the Roman empire (of which we even have little evidence in the first century; Nero is claimed to have blamed Christians for the fire, but this is barely attested anywhere but Tacitus until the late fourth century).
What? Why do you think they were burned? I suspect you deny historical accounts that don’t match your chosen narrative. Doesn’t bother me but you will certainly NEVER EVER arrive at truth by doing so.

It is a far cry to accuse Solomon of serving the devil >> seal of Solomon is devilish/satanic >> Star of David comes from it, Jews use that symbol, so Jews are satanic.

Never said any such thing. But you believe the OT that says there was a Solomon but reject what you see that says it doesn’t fit your narrative.
Also the Seal of Solomon is a medieval invention anyways (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seal_of_Solomon)
Your understanding of history is weak. Solomon was long before the medieval period.

You thought bringing ip
past horrible deeds cause people to hate that group today. As you can, that is just not true. I only need mention other groups whose ancestors did horrible things to people. No one hates them today.
Actually, many people bear animosity towards the German people today, so you're already wrong there. Also America's racist stain has been very hard to get up. Just because you don't hate them today, and no one you know hates them today, does not mean no one does.

Besides, we already have evidence in this very thread of people hating a people group (Jews) for what they (supposedly) did 2,000 years ago! You know, calling them "dumb."

"The soul who sins shall die" is easy to say, but in the judgment of many, the fathers' iniquities are visited on the children.
You are joking right? Ever heard of the stoning of Steven? Ever hear of what Saul did before converted? Do you completely doubt every word of the New Testament?
Of course I've read it. Because an account is testified of one time in a religious propaganda book does not mean it should be believed.
What? Why do you think they were burned? I suspect you deny historical accounts that don’t match your chosen narrative. Doesn’t bother me but you will certainly NEVER EVER arrive at truth by doing so.
I already explained the dearth of evidence. See Brent Shaw's "The Myth of the Neronian Persecution" at The Journal of Roman Studies; also Richard Carrier's "The prospect of a Christian interpolation in Tacitus, Annals 15.44" at Vigiliae Christianae.
But you believe the OT that says there was a Solomon but reject what you see that says it doesn’t fit your narrative.
I never said I believed it. I'm discussing this with people who do, so I step into their shoes. Solomon is like King Arthur: a mythological figure, possibly with a vague historical backing, but very little can be known about the true historical individual, if there was one. Minimal historical backing for David, none for Solomon
Your understanding of history is weak. Solomon was long before the medieval period.
Obviously! I understand that. The Seal of Solomon, however, was invented in the medieval period. Do you think it predates the medieval period? Read your Bible and find it for me.

Last edited:
Anti German furor in France and Britain led to ww2.in this by the harsh punishment for WW1 and sanctions . Hitler rise because of that and took advantage of it to use it for his lust for power .
The Windsors of England are actually of German origin and changed their surname.

It's not far fetched to say some might still harbor resentment toward Germany .

Anti German furor in France and Britain led to ww2.
The Windsors of England are actually of German origin and changed their surname.

It's not far fetched to say some might still harbor resentment toward Germany .
Right! I forgot that they changed their name. Thank you for pointing it out. Also Wikipedia tells us:
In the modern British press, newspaper headlines and articles often express anti-German sentiment when reporting on German affairs, and frequently resort to references to World War II and stereotypical associations of modern Germany with the violent actions of Nazi Germany in the 1930s and 1940s. These headlines are frequently coupled with Eurosceptic views which express fears of German dominance in Europe, mostly in publications whose editorial line favors Brexit.
Anti-German sentiment is quite real. Irrational as it is to be biased against modern Germans. It's hardly tough to find: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-German_sentiment https://www.dw.com/en/does-the-british-press-have-it-in-for-germany/a-18596668

Right! I forgot that they changed their name. Thank you for pointing it out. Also Wikipedia tells us:

Anti-German sentiment is quite real. Irrational as it is to be biased against modern Germans.
Ironic .I am Jewish descent and have grandchildren with a German last name which is actually anglicized of the word Munich ,(muchen, Munch).I have told my wife about German history as I know it and also where Munich is .

What about the Africans who sold their own into slavery? Shall we all hate them? Your knowledge of history is weak.

Amen Sisyer. Kunta Kinta was a liar, lol! The History is strong with this one...

For the uninformed:
The african coastal tribes sold their own into slavery to the ships that passed by. Yhey had multiple reasons for this.
1. In those days Afirican Headhunters and cannables were real and vicious. Cannabals preyed on the children mostly cuz they're easier to catch. Inland Africa was way too dangerous for shipmates to venture into. The families with children realized they can sell off their children and then they would have a chance to live. Most slaves were treated well in America.
2. Everybody in Africa was poor. The family could show a profit for saving their children by sending them to a new life where there are no headhunters. Trades of sugar and Rum and who knows what else, were traded for slaves.
3. Everybody was poor, one less mouth to feed!

So it was win/win for everybody. The trade ships did not send men inland to chase poor Kunta Kinta down by force like in the movie.

Good point.

Do you think the world now hates the German people? What about hating the americans and their treatment of the native peoples? Do people hate the cambodians? What about the Africans who sold their own into slavery? Shall we all hate them? Your knowledge of history is weak.

Read the NT if you want to know the persecution of the christian’s at the hand of the Jews. Start with Saul.

I just had a thought. Aren't all of us gentile believers Jews now after being born again? I think we are. Have we been as they say, grafted into the vine?!

Our times coming. They just haven't taken the glove off of the iron fist yet.

Amen Sisyer. Kunta Kinta was a liar, lol! The History is strong with this one...

For the uninformed:
The african coastal tribes sold their own into slavery to the ships that passed by. Yhey had multiple reasons for this.
1. In those days Afirican Headhunters and cannables were real and vicious. Cannabals preyed on the children mostly cuz they're easier to catch. Inland Africa was way too dangerous for shipmates to venture into. The families with children realized they can sell off their children and then they would have a chance to live. Most slaves were treated well in America.
2. Everybody in Africa was poor. The family could show a profit for saving their children by sending them to a new life where there are no headhunters. Trades of sugar and Rum and who knows what else, were traded for slaves.
3. Everybody was poor, one less mouth to feed!

So it was win/win for everybody. The trade ships did not send men inland to chase poor Kunta Kinta down by force like in the movie.

Good point.
Of course, everyone knows this who cares to look.
I just had a thought. Aren't all of us gentile believers Jews now after being born again? I think we are. Have we been as they say, grafted into the vine?!

The "true Jew" ala Apostle Paul.

Actually, many people bear animosity towards the German people today, so you're already wrong there. Also America's racist stain has been very hard to get up. Just because you don't hate them today, and no one you know hates them today, does not mean no one does.

Besides, we already have evidence in this very thread of people hating a people group (Jews) for what they (supposedly) did 2,000 years ago! You know, calling them "dumb."

"The soul who sins shall die" is easy to say, but in the judgment of many, the fathers' iniquities are visited on the children.

Of course I've read it. Because an account is testified of one time in a religious propaganda book does not mean it should be believed.

I already explained the dearth of evidence. See Brent Shaw's "The Myth of the Neronian Persecution" at The Journal of Roman Studies; also Richard Carrier's "The prospect of a Christian interpolation in Tacitus, Annals 15.44" at Vigiliae Christianae.

I never said I believed it. I'm discussing this with people who do, so I step into their shoes. Solomon is like King Arthur: a mythological figure, possibly with a vague historical backing, but very little can be known about the true historical individual, if there was one. Minimal historical backing for David, none for Solomon

Obviously! I understand that. The Seal of Solomon, however, was invented in the medieval period. Do you think it predates the medieval period? Read your Bible and find it for me.

Man you're just full of word salad aren't you? Repeat a lie long enough and it becomes the truth, is that it? Lol.

I know. ...if you believe it is true...then it's not a lie! Right? I needed a good laugh this morning.
Now you're George Castanza, lol.

Man you're just full of word salad aren't you? Repeat a lie long enough and it becomes the truth, is that it? Lol.

I know. ...if you believe it is true...then it's not a lie! Right? I needed a good laugh this morning.
Now you're George Castanza, lol.
What lie are you referring to? I cited specific sources for one of the claims at least

It seems to me that there is perhaps more sentiment hostile to Jews than any other people group. Martin Luther infamously wrote of "the Jews and their lies". He said,

He said that their synagogues should be lit on fire, prayer books destroyed, Rabbis forbidden to preach. He even advocated their slaying:

He was German of course, and so was Hitler, who said he had a God-given mission to slay the Jews. Why could he have thought this? Perhaps because one of the most famous theologians, from his own country, said to do so.

Anti-Semitism is still rampant, as seen in Holocaust denial. The level of hostility to the Jewish people seems to exceed that given to any or at least most other groups. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this tragedy is so?
It's rooted in Godlessness/Truthlessness.

Actually, many people bear animosity towards the German people today, so you're already wrong there.
No they don’t. Sorry but they don’t. You need to supply modern hate German data. For the Jews you quote a writer in the middle ages as though he reflects modern thought. You won’t admit you’re wrong, will you?
Also America's racist stain has been very hard to get up. Just because you don't hate them today, and no one you know hates them today, does not mean no one does.
By that logic you can assume anything you want. No evidence needed.
Besides, we already have evidence in this very thread of people hating a people group (Jews) for what they supposedly did 2,000 years ago! You know, calling them "dumb."
If I call you “dumb” does that mean I hate you? Really???
Nope. You don’t understand the scripture. Means nothing if the sort.

I never said I believed it. I'm discussing this with people who do, so I step into their shoes. Solomon is like King Arthur: a mythological figure, possibly with a vague historical backing, but very little can be known about the true historical individual, if there was one.
If one chooses to ignore the data, everyone can be mythological, even you.
Then it’s not from Solomon is it? Not Jewish either.

No we are Christians and Jews who are grafted in are also Christians. They can reject that biblical name because of racism, but it is what the early christians, Jewish in ancestry, were called. We are all grafted into Christ. We all join him. We do not join them.
We will see.

No we are Christians and Jews who are grafted in are also Christians. They can reject that biblical name because of racism, but it is what the early christians, Jewish in ancestry, were called. We are all grafted into Christ. We all join him. We do not join them.

We will see.

Oh, well said!

But the reason I said it that way is trying to look at from the Lord's perspective, and He said something about them first, then us. With them being His chosen people. But that was also, before Jesus came and gave us a new covenant, where Jesus is the head and we are the body so you were not wrong in the least. Because now, after Jesus...it's Jesus first now, and relationship for both Jew and Gentile.

I wonder how many closet Christian Rabbi's are in Jerusalem and staying undercover right now?

Besides, how many people do you think are descended from Abraham in todays world?
Remember God's promise to Abrahm? I will multiply your seed like the sand of the beach. How many of us does that include? Abraham's seed has had 2000+ years to spread!

I'm a Jew! No I'm not. Jews don't scare me. Everybody hates somebody but everyone should love everybody. This be the task set before us. Bless your enemies!

I can hear the crowd laughing! It is a veil of bitterness (wont even call it hate!) that seeds into your soul when you do not forgive your enemies and blinds them to the truth. (That the power of God, is standing right behind Love).

You ever notice in the OT....people treated their enemies better back then, than todays people treat their friends! When the made agreements and stuff, they had honor and kept to it. Where is honor today?

No they don’t. Sorry but they don’t. You need to supply modern hate German data. For the Jews you quote a writer in the middle ages as though he reflects modern thought. You won’t admit you’re wrong, will you?
Already done, referenced Wikipedia for example, about bias in the news. I have noticed that in various threads, you just repeat "no", "no way", "no they don't", etc. without any basis. Even though I've already provided it.
By that logic you can assume anything you want. No evidence needed.
No 'cause I have evidence outside my friend group.
If one chooses to ignore the data, everyone can be mythological, even you.
Then show me data that proves Solomon's existence. There is none, zip, zero, nada.
Then it’s not from Solomon is it? Not Jewish either.
This statement reveals your naivete when it comes to understanding symbolic origins. The Star of David originated from the Seal of Solomon. Look at the Seal. The similarity is obvious. Also just because it did not originate from Solomon, does not mean nobody thought it did.

Already done, referenced Wikipedia for example, about bias in the news. I have noticed that in various threads, you just repeat "no", "no way", "no they don't", etc. without any basis. Even though I've already provided it.
We’ll Unfortunately for you I lived some decades in Germany and that’s not what the Germans say and they ought to know. After all, you whole premise rests on how the Jews FEEL.
No 'cause I have evidence outside my friend group.

Then show me data that proves Solomon's existence. There is none, zip, zero, nada.
And yet you insist the star is his symbol, a man you don’t believe existed. Do you have evidence Caesar existed, outside of your friends’ group, that is?
This statement reveals your naivete when it comes to understanding symbolic origins. The Star of David originated from the Seal of Solomon. Look at the Seal. The similarity is obvious. Also just because it did not originate from Solomon, does not mean nobody thought it did.
There was no Solomon to you.

I can’t resist. You quote Martin Luther from the middle ages to establish the claim that 21st century people hate the Jews. I mean, that is a source for sure….a man who lived over 1500 years ago tells us how we think too….right!
The "specific sources" I cited was a reference to how Nero's persecution is doubtful. Brent Shaw and Richard Carrier. I hope it is obvious that Luther was important in Christianity's history. That said, nearly half of American Protestants don't have any idea who he was., lol.
We’ll Unfortunately for you I lived some decades in Germany and that’s not what the Germans say and they ought to know. After all, you whole premise rests on how the Jews FEEL.
That is, the Germans you spent time with.
And yet you insist the star is his symbol, a man you don’t believe existed.
All that matters is that medieval theologians attributed it to him.
Do you have evidence Caesar existed, outside of your friends’ group, that is?
You're going to ask me to prove that Caesar existed? You just dug your own grave.
  • Caesar wrote works on the Gallic Wars and the Civil Wars - in which he was not just a witness but a participant.
  • Caesar was documented by numerous historians shortly after his death, extensively, by sources without a theological bias, with great detail including anecdotes such as his physical appearance.
    • He is also discussed by Cicero, Catullus, etc.
    • We have reports from friends, enemies, and neutrals.
  • Without Caesar, the Roman timeline after 59 B.C. turns nonsensical.
  • Court cases, which are documented, that he prosecuted and defended
  • We know all about his family, his sisters and who they married, and his extended family.
  • Sculptures and likenesses - see the following bust of him, made in his own lifetime, which is unflattering; later busts added a laurel to hide his receding hairline:
    caesar-real.gif

He can be found on the denarius from 44 B.C. On the coin is written a proclamation declaring him perpetual dictator. Coins bearing his name and face are literally everywhere.
    • What about Jesus? Not a one. Earliest Christian iconography simply ripped his likeness from the god Apollo.
      image.png

Jesus' image has been changed to fit whatever earthly powers happen to be in place.
What about Alexander the Great? I'll prove his existence too, because some goofy people say we have more existence for Jesus than him:
  • Alexander left a huge historical footprint and conquered a massive stretch of the ancient world. Jesus would not have travelled more than a hundred miles from his birthplace.
  • Many cities are/were named after him (70!) and his generals and even his horse, he is also all over coins, and in ancient pictures.
  • Without Alexander, a new explanation would have had to be fabricated for an era of human history, with some obvious political transformations.
  • The reports of him come from friends, enemies, and neutrals, once again.
    • Numerous credible historians: Herodotus, Xenophon, Manetho, Arrian, Pliny the Elder, Plutarch, Polybius. These names are given immense credibility in academic circles, especially Xenophon, Arrian, Pliny, and Polybius.
  • Reliable evidence of a couple interesting facts: he was taught by Aristotle, and we know exactly who his wife was (a teenager he captured, freed, and wooed).
That said, you're better off arguing that Alexander never existed than that Caesar did not. But none of these facts are true for Jesus; he bears everything that smacks of mythology:
  • No coins, no cities, towns, villages
  • Actions alike to those attributed to mythological figures in Greek, Egyptian mythologies and others including Middle Eastern
  • Regularly identified with impossible supernatural powers (if you accuse me of "theological bias", we regularly dismiss the miraculous claims made of other mythical figures; I'm just urging consistency)
  • Nearly every report on his life, including the only ones with a shred of credibility at all (the 4 gospels) come from those with a vested interest in making people believe he was a god
    • Barely any extrabiblical sources - a forgery from Josephus, and some bits from Tacitus and possibly Suetonius that only indicate that some people calling themselves Christians believed a man named Jesus existed; hardly an earth-shattering conclusion.
      • Suetonius only says, "Since the Jews constantly made disturbances at the instigation of Chrestus, he expelled them from Rome." But this is about Claudius' reign, 41-54 A.D. So it can't have been Jesus. "Chrestus" was a common name, it meant "useful."
  • Jesus had no clear political impact; in 40 A.D. the situation was as it would be if he never existed
EDIT: The only thing apologists can cite to prove Jesus existed is the plethora of manuscripts. Of course, most of them are very late, and there are no more than a few scraps of Mark from before the third century at least. But multiple copies of any four documents (three clearly dependent on one of them and on each other) do not add to our knowledge of him. As cited, there is much evidence outside of documents for these two figures, Caesar and Alexander, which is what we would expect.

Imagine a wandering preacher arriving in your town, doing all sorts of miracles, casting out demons and raising the dead. He gets executed by the state for rebellion, but rises from the dead and ascends into heaven. You would not need the accounts of the gospels, earliest of which written just before or just after A.D. 70 (35 years after Jesus' death, at the very earliest) since virtually all first-century historians would write about him in great detail. We'd also find letters written by eyewitnesses, or at least those who knew eyewitnesses, which would then be carefully preserved. We'd find early likenesses of him, as well.

Who could have written about Jesus? Jewish historians: Nicolaus of Damascus, Philo of Alexandria, Justus of Tiberias, and Flavius Josephus. Josephus' section, the Testimonium Flavianum, is in fact an early Christian forgery, which probably indicates that Christians were ashamed of the lack of evidence for Jesus' existence. We also find in Josephus "James, the brother of Jesus", but every scholar agrees that the "brother of Jesus" is a gloss.

Pagan historians? Marcus Velleius Paterculus, Marcus Servilius Nonianus, Pamphila of Epidaurus, Aufidius Bassus, Pliny the Elder, Cluvius, Rufus, and Seneca the Younger. Yet we find nothing of him there. As stated, Tacitus and Suetonius only demonstrate that some Christians believed a man named Jesus existed. In fact, these two historians did not believe he existed, so...

Apologies for the long post, but this is important.

EDIT 2: Here's a helpful article (written by a B.A. in History and Classical Studies): https://talesoftimesforgotten.com/2...existence-of-alexander-the-great-quite-a-lot/
Here is also a debate between Richard Carrier and Bart Ehrman on Jesus' existence:

Last edited:
Back