Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Will the Jews build a Third Temple?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
There is no more 'Jew'. That designation came in 400 years after faith, was used by God for a time, and has been gone for 2000 years. The next event in the biblical timeline is when Jesus appears, everyone in the world sees Him, and it's game over for the whole world. IMHO
I dont think even those from the linage as Jews believe anymore, especially as a tribe...

If a rebuilt Temple is a sign of Christ's coming, why didn't Christ say it would be rebuilt as one of the "signs" of His coming?

1 Then Jesus went out and departed from the temple, and His disciples came up to show Him the buildings of the temple.
2 And Jesus said to them, "Do you not see all these things? Assuredly, I say to you, not one stone shall be left here upon another, that shall not be thrown down."
3 Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, "Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?"
4 And Jesus answered and said to them: "Take heed that no one deceives you. (Matt. 24:1-4 NKJ)

Yes, the Jews will build a third Temple.

JLB
Although we disagree and I realize neither of us can convince the other, I am curious how you would explain Christ's silence on a Third Temple.

This discussion about the end resulted from His prophecy of the Temple's destruction, which context implies was seen by the disciples as a "sign of the end":

1 Then Jesus went out and departed from the temple, and His disciples came up to show Him the buildings of the temple.
2 And Jesus said to them, "Do you not see all these things? Assuredly, I say to you, not one stone shall be left here upon another, that shall not be thrown down."
3 Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, "Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?" (Matt. 24:1-3 NKJ)

Assuming the third Temple will be built, why didn't Christ say the destroyed Temple would be rebuilt?

Although we disagree and I realize neither of us can convince the other, I am curious how you would explain Christ's silence on a Third Temple.

This discussion about the end resulted from His prophecy of the Temple's destruction, which context implies was seen by the disciples as a "sign of the end":

3 Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, "Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?" (Matt. 24:1-3 NKJ)

Assuming the third Temple will be built, why didn't Christ say the destroyed Temple would be rebuilt?
Hi Alfred Persson

While I agree that the building of a third temple doesn't seem to be a clear teaching of the old covenant writings, I don't find the assurance of that just in the matter that Jesus didn't mention it. I mean, there are a lot of things that old covenant prophets wrote about the last days that Jesus didn't mention. He didn't say anything about Israel believing in the Messiah, but that is one that I think we find some Scriptural support for. He didn't say anything about the Jews returning to their homeland either, but there are prophecies that do deal with that.

So, I'm just not convinced that Jesus not mentioning some future event as necessarily being the end all be all of everything that is going to be happening as we move into those very last days.

God bless,
Ted

Hi Alfred Persson

While I agree that the building of a third temple doesn't seem to be a clear teaching of the old covenant writings, I don't find the assurance of that just in the matter that Jesus didn't mention it. I mean, there are a lot of things that old covenant prophets wrote about the last days that Jesus didn't mention. He didn't say anything about Israel believing in the Messiah, but that is one that I think we find some Scriptural support for. He didn't say anything about the Jews returning to their homeland either, but there are prophecies that do deal with that.

So, I'm just not convinced that Jesus not mentioning some future event as necessarily being the end all be all of everything that is going to be happening as we move into those very last days.

God bless,
Ted
That's a good point but loses force in this context because it was the destruction of the temple that made them curious about other signs of His coming.

In other words, because destruction of the Temple is a sign----rebuilding would also be a sign.

That makes rebuilding pertinent, yet Jesus says nothing about rebuilding the temple.

But thanks for answering.

That's a good point but loses force in this context because it was the destruction of the temple that made them curious about other signs of His coming.

In other words, because destruction of the Temple is a sign----rebuilding would also be a sign.

That makes rebuilding pertinent, yet Jesus says nothing about rebuilding the temple.

But thanks for answering.
Hi Alfred Persson

What I know is that for us, now some 2,000 years after the fact, to try and put ourselves in the place and what their minds were thinking at that time is at best, only a guess. Yes, we know that Jesus mentioned to his disciples, as they were marveling at the beautiful temple complex, that it would not be standing one day. Yes, we know that they then followed up that statement from Jesus with questions as to 'what' some of the signs of the destruction of the temple and of the end of the age would be. But as far as any of us being able to say with any certainty 'what' the disciples might have been thinking that would prompt such a question... well, that's a bit iffy for me.

I know that in my own life I've had occasion to think that I knew what someone was thinking that led them to do something, and often been wrong. So, I try to stay away from any theological truth that is based on, "Well, you know these guys are normal people like me and this is what I would be thinking in my head. So this must be what they were thinking when they asked Jesus a question. Not only that but I know how Jesus would have answered those questions if some certain understanding is assumed.

So again, I'm not willing to use the understanding that Jesus didn't mention something as being any sure bet that something will or won't happen. It's just possible, as I read of some of the signs that Jesus did give, that they are all not particularly specific about 'what' or 'how' the marvels in the heavens will look like. Maybe Jesus knew that telling them the temple would be rebuilt was a sign that would be too easily recognized by even the unbelievers.

Otherwise, I think we're possibly on the same page, or at least the same chapter. I don't find any sure prophecy that there will be a third temple.

God bless,
Ted

Hi Alfred Persson

What I know is that for us, now some 2,000 years after the fact, to try and put ourselves in the place and what their minds were thinking at that time is at best, only a guess. Yes, we know that Jesus mentioned to his disciples, as they were marveling at the beautiful temple complex, that it would not be standing one day. Yes, we know that they then followed up that statement from Jesus with questions as to 'what' some of the signs of the destruction of the temple and of the end of the age would be. But as far as any of us being able to say with any certainty 'what' the disciples might have been thinking that would prompt such a question... well, that's a bit iffy for me.

I know that in my own life I've had occasion to think that I knew what someone was thinking that led them to do something, and often been wrong. So, I try to stay away from any theological truth that is based on, "Well, you know these guys are normal people like me and this is what I would be thinking in my head. So this must be what they were thinking when they asked Jesus a question. Not only that but I know how Jesus would have answered those questions if some certain understanding is assumed.

So again, I'm not willing to use the understanding that Jesus didn't mention something as being any sure bet that something will or won't happen. It's just possible, as I read of some of the signs that Jesus did give, that they are all not particularly specific about 'what' or 'how' the marvels in the heavens will look like. Maybe Jesus knew that telling them the temple would be rebuilt was a sign that would be too easily recognized by even the unbelievers.

Otherwise, I think we're possibly on the same page, or at least the same chapter. I don't find any sure prophecy that there will be a third temple.

God bless,
Ted
I agree an "inference" is not "proof", cannot be "certain" about anything. At its best, an "inference" can only be "probable", reasonable.

But the Word does expect we can infer truth. For example, Christ fully expects the Pharisees can "infer specific premises" and consider their implication, that they require the Messiah is more than human:

41 While the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them,
42 saying, "What do you think about the Christ? Whose Son is He?" They said to Him, "The Son of David."
43 He said to them, "How then does David in the Spirit call Him`Lord,' saying:
44 `The LORD said to my Lord, "Sit at My right hand, Till I make Your enemies Your footstool "'?
45 "If David then calls Him`Lord,' how is He his Son?" (Matt. 22:41-45 NKJ)

I'm glad we agree "sure prophecy" for a third temple doesn't exist. As the Church is called the "Temple of God" , the "abomination of desolation" could just as likely "stand up the holy place" the Church as in a literal Temple.

Last edited:
For example, Christ fully expects the Pharisees can "infer specific premises" and consider their implication, that they require the Messiah is more than human:
Right, but in this particular matter we know that Jesus does know our thoughts. Or at least, can. That's not the same as you and I guessing.

God bless,
Ted

Right, but in this particular matter we know that Jesus does know our thoughts. Or at least, can. That's not the same as you and I guessing.

God bless,
Ted
Your objection is fundamentally flawed. The very existence of our intelligence, and Word of God implies God expects us to learn His will through those devices. Even a child is expected to read, comprehend scripture to become wise:

15 and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. (2 Tim. 3:15-171 NKJ)

Scripture is not profitable to those unable to reason.

Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. (2 Tim. 2:15 NKJ)

I'm not convicted that a new temple will be built. As I understand it, in the last days we are told that many of God's people, Israel, will turn to the truth. Why they would then want to build a worthless temple, if they're now believing that the final and perfect sacrifice was Jesus, is quite beyond me.
Ted,
You refuse to believe that your interpretation is dead wrong.
You're probably not spiritually ready to receive the truth, its like throwing pearls before swine.
When Jesus returns the whole law returns with him, but not that it went away, but that believers rejected it, (him) for he is the law.

As long as we are in this age of SIN, as long as there is a heaven and earth, there will be the law.
Not until the new heaven and new earth come about do we enter into the the era of No more Mosaic law.

Zachariah 14

16 And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the Lord of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles.

17 And it shall be, that whoso will not come up of all the families of the earth unto Jerusalem to worship the King, the Lord of hosts, even upon them shall be no rain.

18 And if the family of Egypt go not up, and come not, that have no rain; there shall be the plague, wherewith the Lord will smite the heathen that come not up to keep the feast of tabernacles.

19 This shall be the punishment of Egypt, and the punishment of all nations that come not up to keep the feast of tabernacles.

20 In that day shall there be upon the bells of the horses, Holiness Unto The Lord; and the pots in the Lord's house shall be like the bowls before the altar.

21 Yea, every pot in Jerusalem and in Judah shall be holiness unto the Lord of hosts: and all they that sacrifice shall come and take of them, and seethe therein: and in that day there shall be no more the Canaanite in the house of the Lord of hosts.

Lev 23
34 Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, The fifteenth day of this seventh month shall be the feast of tabernacles for seven days unto the Lord.

35 On the first day shall be an holy convocation: ye shall do no servile work therein.

36 Seven days ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the Lord: on the eighth day shall be an holy convocation unto you; and ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the Lord: it is a solemn assembly; and ye shall do no servile work therein.

37 These are the feasts of the Lord, which ye shall proclaim to be holy convocations, to offer an offering made by fire unto the Lord, a burnt offering, and a meat offering, a sacrifice, and drink offerings, every thing upon his day:

Hi Humblepie
You refuse to believe that your interpretation is dead wrong.
I'm certainly not willing to go to the place where you seem to be that it is dead wrong without some proof of such 'deadness'.

Let's be mindful of what we're discussing here. A future prophetic fulfillment. Your claim is that the Scriptures absolutely contain the truth that a third temple will be constructed before Jesus returns.
You're probably not spiritually ready to receive the truth, its like throwing pearls before swine.
I'm guessing you never read the 'How to Win Friends and Influence Enemies' book. But for the moment, let's say you're correct. What's your next move.
When Jesus returns the whole law returns with him, but not that it went away, but that believers rejected it, (him) for he is the law.
That honestly makes no sense to me. Jesus returns the whole law. But it didn't go away. Oh yea, that's clear as mud. And what exactly do you mean that Jesus returns the whole law? Jesus is going to come back in the clouds with the two tablets of the ten commandments and all the scrolls of the deuterocanonical law? What does that even mean that Jesus returns the whole law? Where did it go? Or when did it stop? What law is he bringing? The one of his commandments? Or the one given to the Israelites in the wilderness?

And in reading over the remainder of your post, I'm questioning how any of it applies to some proof found in the Scriptures that a third temple will be built. This passage in Zechariah is talking about a time after Jesus has been made the King over the earth. After he has returned and set his feet on the Mount of Olives and split it asunder. Half moving to the north and half moving to the south. Then shall the new city of Zion come down from heaven adorned as a bride for her husband and we will celebrate the Feast of Tabernacles forever. The Feast of Tabernacles celebrates God's provision for His people. His providing them the tents in which they lived in the wilderness and it is timed to celebrate God's provision of food as it is also a bountiful crop celebration.

We will for all eternity celebrate God's provision for our lives.

God bless,
Ted

Which part of Scripture (chapter and verse) tells us that the temple is actually the Church and not a literal temple?
The living water flows out of the temple...
3 And when the man that had the line in his hand went forth eastward, he measured a thousand cubits, and he brought me through the waters; the waters were to the ankles.

4 Again he measured a thousand, and brought me through the waters; the waters were to the knees. Again he measured a thousand, and brought me through; the waters were to the loins.

5 Afterward he measured a thousand; and it was a river that I could not pass over: for the waters were risen, waters to swim in, a river that could not be passed over.
jn7:

37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.

38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back