Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Windows 10...to upgrade or to not Upgrade...discuss

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
The best advice I've heard is to download the free OS upgrade but hold off on installing it. It won't be offered free of charge forever, but you'll have it for free if you download it and let it sit. Then let all the live reviews emerge and bugs get worked out. I haven't heard anything about charges for maintaining it, so I'll be shocked if that's the case. I doubt it.

The game these days is to get users into the ecosystem, so that's their gain. Microsoft is actually doing some really neat stuff these days. Their soon to be released HoloLens looks like it's gonna be a game-changer! And they are opening up to more open sourcing even when Google is not as much and Apple is locked down in a vault.

My plan is to download 10, wait a while, set a good restore point, and then install it. If I don't like it, I'll just restore my laptop to 8.

Apparently, anyone with either version 7 or 8(including 8.1) will be able to upgrade to 10 for free starting on the 29th of July for up to a year.

Thoughts?

I currently have a desktop running 7 and a laptop running 8.1 and am considering getting both on the same level, as it were. I know there are some vehement dislikers here of Windows in general, but for the most part I really don't have too much to complain about. Sure it is prone to crashing, but as long as you don't download anything you don't trust you should be fine.
I have spent a great deal of time installing operating systems, building computers and I used to love that new (car smell) feeling I got when windows had just finished installing on my pc or laptop.

I'll be updating my Win 7 PC and Win 8.1 tablet, which I am using this very moment. I actually like 8.1 but I've only used it on this tablet. It really does seem like it is meant for mobile devices and not PCs. But if I had the money right now, I would switch to Apple.

I do hate new installs though and the stress of hoping I backed everything up.
Ffree,
If you like it would prefer Apple's OS X, I believe it is, my baby girl says my Ubuntu 14.04 feels more like her Mac than anything she used in college and all she has used in teaching since. She said other than Mac, all she can ever see her using is some form of Ubuntu.

Download it from there site by clicking Not Now when a asmoved to donate, burrn the isolated file as.an image, boot the 'puter from the DVD, select the option to Try it and though not as much quick as when install, you will get the feel of it.

Ffree,
If you like it would prefer Apple's OS X, I believe it is, my baby girl says my Ubuntu 14.04 feels more like her Mac than anything she used in college and all she has used in teaching since. She said other than Mac, all she can ever see her using is some form of Ubuntu.

Download it from there site by clicking Not Now when a asmoved to donate, burrn the isolated file as.an image, boot the 'puter from the DVD, select the option to Try it and though not as much quick as when install, you will get the feel of it.
Maybe I could try that. I do have an old computer from 2001 that should still boot up if I wanted to do an actual install.

Maybe I could try that. I do have an old computer from 2001 that should still boot up if I wanted to do an actual install.
In the case of one that old, I usually try thirty-two bit first and both iso files are downloadable from there and it will cost you nada.

WE should all be able to critique the new OS soon because it came out yesterday and someplace in the next couple of billion downloads our reservation numbers will key up. I'll be getting two copies.

I'm not sure when/if I'll update the desktop but my tablet is all backed up on the cloud and ready to go. Just waiting for the go-ahead.

Windows 10 My review so far

Coming from Windows 8.

Upgrade took almost 3 hours, and lots of messages of being almost ready, just hold on.

View attachment 7093

On a laptop, so things went real slow.

Once Windows 10 came online, I saw very little visual changes from windows 8. I did find a new start menu though with the apps listed on the side. So a combination of windows 7 and 8 and the apps don't need to run in full screen now.

View attachment 7094

The red circle is a button you can create multiple desktops. So have a desktop for photoshop, and one for something else. Pretty cool.

So, we have the function of windows 8 touch screen, better apps, with the feel of windows 7, even a quick file search bar that searches files and internet.

Windows 10 does voice commands, just like your smart phone, which I don't use and has a host of great features for those that work with IOS and Android, having the ability to have your compiled app run native to windows 10.

Speed and files sustained?

The laptop did not run faster, but it's not slower either. It's a laptop, so it's slow compared to the wife's 6 core and 400.00 video card. Every program I run with windows 8, runs fine in windows 10. I had no file losses, and windows 10 gives a quick access button located in "THIS PC" on desktop that gets to your photo's, music, documents, google drive, and whatever else you throw in there.

Windows 10 beats Windows 7 and blows 8 out of the water, combining the best of both, but returning us back to the way windows use to be and feel with lots of extra easy to reach features at a voice command, touch screen, or mouse click away.

No issues upgrading here.

Mike.

Windows 10 My review so far

Coming from Windows 8.

Upgrade took almost 3 hours, and lots of messages of being almost ready, just hold on.

View attachment 7093

On a laptop, so things went real slow.

Once Windows 10 came online, I saw very little visual changes from windows 8. I did find a new start menu though with the apps listed on the side. So a combination of windows 7 and 8 and the apps don't need to run in full screen now.

View attachment 7094

The red circle is a button you can create multiple desktops. So have a desktop for photoshop, and one for something else. Pretty cool.

So, we have the function of windows 8 touch screen, better apps, with the feel of windows 7, even a quick file search bar that searches files and internet.

Windows 10 does voice commands, just like your smart phone, which I don't use and has a host of great features for those that work with IOS and Android, having the ability to have your compiled app run native to windows 10.

Speed and files sustained?

The laptop did not run faster, but it's not slower either. It's a laptop, so it's slow compared to the wife's 6 core and 400.00 video card. Every program I run with windows 8, runs fine in windows 10. I had no file losses, and windows 10 gives a quick access button located in "THIS PC" on desktop that gets to your photo's, music, documents, google drive, and whatever else you throw in there.

Windows 10 beats Windows 7 and blows 8 out of the water, combining the best of both, but returning us back to the way windows use to be and feel with lots of extra easy to reach features at a voice command, touch screen, or mouse click away.

No issues upgrading here.

Mike.
Sounds like I might allow my laptop and my desktop to go that way. My only issue will be getting them to dual boot for the software that is not offered to win users and win8 is a monster to get to dual boot on the new UEFI mainboards.

I tried Windows 10 when they started letting us test it. But today I downloaded the final build

Sounds like I might allow my laptop and my desktop to go that way. My only issue will be getting them to dual boot for the software that is not offered to win users and win8 is a monster to get to dual boot on the new UEFI mainboards.
I dual booted Windows 8.1 and Unbuntu and now I have done the same thing with Windows 10.

Bit the bullet and upgraded my laptop. Having issues with being able to upgrade my pc though. The requirements state I have to have Windows 7 Pro, Service Pak 1; which I have; but thus far I have not been able to register that computer and get the upgrade.

Any suggestions?

Bit the bullet and upgraded my laptop. Having issues with being able to upgrade my pc though. The requirements state I have to have Windows 7 Pro, Service Pak 1; which I have; but thus far I have not been able to register that computer and get the upgrade.

Any suggestions?
Here are some suggestions from an IT guy on some local forums (likely some bad language somewhere in there):

http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/windows...did=393040&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=3

Any suggestions?
I had the issue of not seeing the win10 icon that makes it possible to upgrade but when I forced the missing, like, 300 updates it appeared. I would try that first. The how to can be found by googling for it.

Any suggestions?

I had this issue with wife's PC. did all the updates, deleted the update folder, ran the command prompt for windows to check for update. It would download windows 10 but fail to install with error.

This program here solved all those issues.

Windows Media Creation Tool
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I had this issue with wife's PC. did all the updates, deleted the update folder, ran the command prompt for windows to check for update. It would download windows 10 but fail to install with error.

This program here solved all those issues.

Windows Media Creation Tool
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Is this handled like and upgrade, or is this for a complete install? I just want to know whether or not I need to reinstall a bunch of programs or not. I didn't have to do that on my laptop.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back