Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Windows 10...to upgrade or to not Upgrade...discuss

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Good morning Mike from a brand new 10 user.
When I set up many new users, on windoze, I will split the hard drive and for C: Drive and use 10 to 25 gig designate the rest as D: drive. The result is all programs are to be, manually, installed on D: Drive by clicking the drop menu and selecting D: Drive there. It keeps C clean and booting fast, no matter what else. It builds a happier windoze user.

My son just put his windows on a solid state drive. From cold to ready to go, connected to the internet and all start up programs loaded, he timed it at 30 seconds.

Welcome to the Light side Bill, Glad you joined us.

You get any specific error code? Does it just say install failed? What exactly happens and what order?
Mike.

This post courtesy of Windows 10 install. Went back in after the prior post and this time it went through and installed, so far anyway, rather seamlessly.

Will have to chalk up prior unsuccessful attempts to maybe source overload or failure to connect to the mothership.

This post courtesy of Windows 10 install. Went back in after the prior post and this time it went through and installed, so far anyway, rather seamlessly.

Will have to chalk up prior unsuccessful attempts to maybe source overload or failure to connect to the mothership.

Well, Mothership does not always respond, but glad your got it rolling.

So far so good. It tweaked some of my window colors, so will toy with this latter. I also did not accept the 4 features that MrSoftie wanted to put upon my machine, in order to sell me customized stuff and report my activity to others. Hopefully it will work well, regardless.

So far so good. It tweaked some of my window colors, so will toy with this latter. I also did not accept the 4 features that MrSoftie wanted to put upon my machine, in order to sell me customized stuff and report my activity to others. Hopefully it will work well, regardless.

There was a lot of options for Microsoft to track you in the advanced option set up. Hope everyone had a look at those before install.

If not, you can change them anytime by clicking the settings button.

I wondered about that, I figured they could. Apps also running eat up resources and use internet transferring data. My Internet company just told me about how we went over the 250 Gig usage by 200 Gig last month, and I have to find a way to stop Daughter from leaving Netflix on like you would a TV.

Mike.

Yes, all of those tracking cookies use bandwidth when they report home. The more data you let Microsoft and other vendors collect, the more bandwidth is used. Those high definition video ads are all bandwidth. When I had several tabs open using Edge, my bandwidth was maxed out with video ads and such playing on the several different open tabs.

If you have a slow Internet connection, and a monthly bandwidth cap, you have to carefully choose what to allow to run. If I turn JavaScript off in IE 11 when I have multiple tabs open, surfing text based web sites uses very little bandwidth.

Finally got Windows 10 installed on my tablet yesterday. It was easy to install, apart from needing to make room on the drive, and it works really well, including Edge. Very nice upgrade from 8.1, which I didn't mind.

Installed it last week and only my Norton Security didn't work. Can't believe they didn't have a patch ready!
Don't like Edge and will stick with IE, which is much faster now.

So you guys that have got it installed... What are you finding it does better than, say W7, W8/8.1, etc? Or what new things does it do that the older OSs wouldn't do?

Obadiah, a lot of the things are the same, they just made them look different. However, I will say that it appears as thought they have streamlined quite a few of the processes, as it runs applications much faster.

A problem I ran into recently in regard to bitDefender is that when I had my desktop pc running and my laptop, the firewall would prevent the laptop from accessing the internet. So I would either have to turn off the firewall, or turn of the feature that blocks shared internet access.

Installed it last week and only my Norton Security didn't work. Can't believe they didn't have a patch ready!
Don't like Edge and will stick with IE, which is much faster now.
Yeah, similar problem. My AVG security package disappeared as well. And AVG has nothing on their website addressing the issue. So, cancel in order for AVG. Looks like some security research will be in order for the new operating platform.

So you guys that have got it installed... What are you finding it does better than, say W7, W8/8.1, etc? Or what new things does it do that the older OSs wouldn't do?
I had W7pro. W10 seems to be a bit faster for surfing and also seems to integrate better with other applications, other than my prior security package, which W10 magically wiped out. I am hesitant to reinstall it because they weren't ahead of the game.

Some games don't run on Windows 10. Maybe someone will figure out a workaround, and put it on the net. Same thing happens with each new generation of Windows.

I will keep it anyway. I need the security upgrades.

Some games don't run on Windows 10. Maybe someone will figure out a workaround, and put it on the net. Same thing happens with each new generation of Windows.

I will keep it anyway. I need the security upgrades.
Uh oh. That's one of the things I was afraid of, being a flight sim enthusiast. You would think a program like MS Flight Sim would work with a Windows OS, wouldn't you? But yet when they brought out Vista no one could get it to work without a bunch of headaches. And now I run a bunch of 3rd party programs all at the same time while simming, so chances of a problem are many times greater. Maybe I better wait for more info before trying it out.

Yes, a Microsoft game is one of the programs that would not run on Microsoft Windows 10. Changing to a new version of Windows never seems to go smoothly.

Uh oh. That's one of the things I was afraid of, being a flight sim enthusiast. You would think a program like MS Flight Sim would work with a Windows OS, wouldn't you? But yet when they brought out Vista no one could get it to work without a bunch of headaches. And now I run a bunch of 3rd party programs all at the same time while simming, so chances of a problem are many times greater. Maybe I better wait for more info before trying it out.
Isn't there a compatibility mode in Windows 10? There was in the last two(three?) versions of windows.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back