Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Windows 10...to upgrade or to not Upgrade...discuss

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Is this handled like and upgrade, or is this for a complete install? I just want to know whether or not I need to reinstall a bunch of programs or not. I didn't have to do that on my laptop.

Will install just like laptop, leave all your stuff as is. Microsoft has not ticked every computer for install. My Wife's PC running windows 7 was like that, even though I forced it to download, that window thing in the bottom right told me I had to wait.

So, just download that link I gave you, and it will download windows 10 (3gigs) and install it for you.

Mike.

BTW, for anyone running a version of bitdefender that is 2014 and older you will have to upgrade to the most current version. If you have a valid license key you will be able to upgrade for free, but you will have to uninstall your current version.

BTW, for anyone running a version of bitdefender that is 2014 and older you will have to upgrade to the most current version. If you have a valid license key you will be able to upgrade for free, but you will have to uninstall your current version.

I hope you got it sorted then. For some odd reason, Bit defender is missing on the laptop, but not the PC I Manually installed Windows 10, or installed from that link.

I hope you got it sorted then. For some odd reason, Bit defender is missing on the laptop, but not the PC I Manually installed Windows 10, or installed from that link.
That is what I discovered too. So I started looking around for the "app" of bitdefender. It was found but was shown as "unavailable." So I looked it up online and found that you need the 2015 version in order to have it work on a Windows 10 machine. Thankfully, I have a license key that is good for another year and a half, so I just downloaded and installed the latest version.

That is what I discovered too. So I started looking around for the "app" of bitdefender. It was found but was shown as "unavailable." So I looked it up online and found that you need the 2015 version in order to have it work on a Windows 10 machine. Thankfully, I have a license key that is good for another year and a half, so I just downloaded and installed the latest version.
Thank you for the info. Wife has bit Defender, and malwarebytes. I don't get viruses, so all good. Windows 10 is pretty cool though, the best windows to come out in a long time though I won't use the tap and voice options. I have a tablet for that, old school mouse here.

Mike.

Something else my wife discovered is that, unless I have just overlooked it, Windows 10 does not have the parental controls 8.1 did for local accounts. You have to setup an online account, via email, for each user in order to use Microsoft's online parental controls.

I will be working around this by using the built in parental controls in bitDefender.

Something else my wife discovered is that, unless I have just overlooked it, Windows 10 does not have the parental controls 8.1 did for local accounts. You have to setup an online account, via email, for each user in order to use Microsoft's online parental controls.

I will be working around this by using the built in parental controls in bitDefender.

Notifications (right bottom corner) All settings/accounts/ make account for child, select allow child to sign in. You will see options for family set up. (Select child to add to list)

Once kids account set up, click on it and log in.

There will be options to block sites, time allowance when they are allowed to use it, like when supervised, the amount of time, and a whole bunch of options. This is done through a block menu on the Curfew options.

There is app restrictions, gaming restrictions, all kinds of stuff.

The History is recorded in a way now that can't be erased as before like clearing browsing history or clearing cookies.

I grow tired of waiting. I just downloaded the iso file and will be writing the disk sometime today.

That link I posted gets you Windows 10. Microsoft is making many wait for serve loads and such. I am not sure you need the ISO though to install Linux things. I guess Duel boot is not that hard on Windows 10, IF your pc is not locked out and windows only built from my understanding.

Mike.

Notifications (right bottom corner) All settings/accounts/ make account for child, select allow child to sign in. You will see options for family set up. (Select child to add to list)

Once kids account set up, click on it and log in.

There will be options to block sites, time allowance when they are allowed to use it, like when supervised, the amount of time, and a whole bunch of options. This is done through a block menu on the Curfew options.

There is app restrictions, gaming restrictions, all kinds of stuff.

The History is recorded in a way now that can't be erased as before like clearing browsing history or clearing cookies.
I looked into that. That is how I found out that you need an email account in order to setup these types of accounts. My kids are too young at this point to need an email account. So I will be using the parental controls inside of BitDefender.

Okay, I finally got mine running. In case others are having trouble, here's what I learned. I needed to turn on JavaScript in IE to get the updater to work, since it is browser based.

I also had to run the Windows Update Readiness Tool to repair some Windows 7 files before it would upgrade to 10. Here is the url if anyone needs it. Windows 8 instructions are at the top, and 7 is about 1/3 the way down the page.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821

Okay, I finally got mine running. In case others are having trouble, here's what I learned. I needed to turn on JavaScript in IE to get the updater to work, since it is browser based.

I also had to run the Windows Update Readiness Tool to repair some Windows 7 files before it would upgrade to 10. Here is the url if anyone needs it. Windows 8 instructions are at the top, and 7 is about 1/3 the way down the page.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947821

Wow, it seems lots of folks having issues getting windows 10 installed, I have read all kinds of things to get it to work, so I bet lots out there are frustrated as it took me about an hour to read on how to get it on my wife's computer.

Blessings.

Mike.

I like Windows 10 so far, but Edge is driving me crazy trying to figure out how to customize it. I can't even get it to automatically switch to a new tab when I open one. I may go back to IE 11 for now, and learn about the new browser a little at a time. I am glad 10 still lets you use the old browser.

Blessings to you too Brother Mike.

I like Windows 10 so far, but Edge is driving me crazy trying to figure out how to customize it. I can't even get it to automatically switch to a new tab when I open one. I may go back to IE 11 for now, and learn about the new browser a little at a time. I am glad 10 still lets you use the old browser.

This is why I just removed the icon from my taskbar and set Chrome as my default browser.

I have not actually tried Edge, been using Chrome and/or Firefox. I heard it was pretty cool, but not actually clicked on it yet. I am like Knotical, in that I just am use to one bowers and not checked edge out yet.

I like Windows 10 also though, it's pretty awesome.

Jesus on the throne, and victory for us.

Mike.

Edge does have some pretty nice features. I like the fact that it runs in a sandbox to protect your computer. In theory, I like its reading mode, which is supposed to eliminate side clutter, and just put the text on the screen.

Its just not very customizable. I like to have several tabs open at once. With Edge, they were all trying to simultaneously download new video ads or other media every so often, using up so much bandwidth that I couldn't smoothly open new web sites. Such a cacophony of noise was coming from the speakers that I couldn't concentrate on the text with all the talking.

Microsoft is supposed to give its features an upgrade in a few months, based on customer feedback. Maybe they will make it more user friendly.

Amen to Jesus on the throne.

For security/business purposes I had my hard drive partitioned off, and have the operating system in a locked admin. capacity section, and use the other partition for things done online, thereby keeping my operating system supposedly secure, behind closed doors.

When trying to upgrade on the admin. partition, the windows mode just circles and doesn't seem to get anywhere, even after a couple of hours of trying to install it. The Windows 10 pop up shows that the program has been downloaded, but it won't install.

Any suggestions?

For security/business purposes I had my hard drive partitioned off, and have the operating system in a locked admin. capacity section, and use the other partition for things done online, thereby keeping my operating system supposedly secure, behind closed doors.

When trying to upgrade on the admin. partition, the windows mode just circles and doesn't seem to get anywhere, even after a couple of hours of trying to install it. The Windows 10 pop up shows that the program has been downloaded, but it won't install.

Any suggestions?

You get any specific error code? Does it just say install failed? What exactly happens and what order?

I am also not real clear on how putting the OS on a different partition makes things more secure as things on the other partition have to access windows files to run. Windows already has a protection from overwriting system files being on it's own partition or not. Putting windows on a separate solid state drive for almost instant boot times does not even protect it for hackers or viruses.

If your business does transaction with other companies, it's at the point of transfer online or their data bases that normally get hacked anyway. You might consider looking into TOR which bounces your I.P all over the place making it almost impossible to track you or a V.P.N but that cost money.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

This link should get windows 10 installed for you, just run it on the partition you have your OS on.

Mike.

You get any specific error code? Does it just say install failed? What exactly happens and what order?

I am also not real clear on how putting the OS on a different partition makes things more secure as things on the other partition have to access windows files to run. Windows already has a protection from overwriting system files being on it's own partition or not. Putting windows on a separate solid state drive for almost instant boot times does not even protect it for hackers or viruses.

If your business does transaction with other companies, it's at the point of transfer online or their data bases that normally get hacked anyway. You might consider looking into TOR which bounces your I.P all over the place making it almost impossible to track you or a V.P.N but that cost money.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 user,

This link should get windows 10 installed for you, just run it on the partition you have your OS on.

Mike.
Good morning Mike from a brand new 10 user.
When I set up many new users, on windoze, I will split the hard drive and for C: Drive and use 10 to 25 gig designate the rest as D: drive. The result is all programs are to be, manually, installed on D: Drive by clicking the drop menu and selecting D: Drive there. It keeps C clean and booting fast, no matter what else. It builds a happier windoze user.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back