Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Πνεῦμα, Ψυχή, and Σάρξ

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

rhomphaeam

The Practise of Faith Plates.png

"And Jehovah God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul." (Genesis 2:7 NASB). καὶ ἔπλασεν ὁ θεὸς τὸν ἄνθρωπον χοῦν ἀπὸ τῆς γῆς καὶ ἐνεφύσησεν εἰς τὸ πρόσωπον αὐτοῦ πνοὴν ζωῆς, καὶ ἐγένετο ὁ ἄνθρωπος εἰς ψυχὴν ζῶσαν. (Genesis 2:7 Septuagint) וַיִּיצֶר֩ יְהוָ֨ה אֱלֹהִ֜ים אֶת־הָֽאָדָ֗ם עָפָר֙ מִן־הָ ֣אֲדָמָ֔הוַיִּפַּ֥ח בְּאַפָּ֖יו נִשְׁמַ֣ת חַיִּ֑ים וַֽיְהִ֥י הָֽאָדָ֖ם לְנֶ֥פֶשׁ חַיָּֽה׃ (Genesis 2:7 Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia)

Spirit, Soul and Body

Pneuma (πνοὴν) the term spirit, refers to breath. This word from 1 Thessalonians 5:23 derives from the root word pnoe (πνοή), and signifies the breath of life.This same word is used in the Septuagint (the Greek Old Testament) and is the word πνοὴν in Genesis 2:7. (Above).

Psuche (ψυχή), the term soul, or life, is translated heart in Ephesians (6:6). It is the same Greek word used in 1 Thessalonians 5:23 for the soul. It denotes the seat of the personality as well as the power of volition (choosing). It is the individual.

Soma (σωμα) is the physical body. The Greek word for body in 1 Thessalonians 5:23 is different to the word dust in Genesis 2:7. This is because Genesis is dealing with the original material from which the body was formed. Whereas Thessalonians is a conception of the body as a living biological entity after God breathed into the form of man, the breath of life. Genesis 2:7 is a narrative of how the body came into existence as a biological entity, as well as an explanation of the original material used. Whereas, 1 Thessalonians 5:23 is a concern for the living.

The Apostle Paul, prayed for the Church at Thessalonica:

"And the God of peace himself sanctify you wholly; and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved entire, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. Faithful is he that calleth you, who will also do it." (1 Thessalonians 5:23-24) (NASB)

"αυτος δε ο θεος της ειρηνης αγιασαι υμας ολοτελεις και ολοκληρον υμων το πνευμα και η ψυχη και το σωμα αμεμπτως εν τη παρουσια του κυριου ημων ιησου χριστου τηρηθειη πιστος ο καλων υμας ος και ποιησει". (1 Thessalonians 5:23-24). Novum Testamentum Graece

Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. “That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. “Do not be amazed that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’ “The wind blows where it wishes and you hear the sound of it, but do not know where it comes from and where it is going; so is everyone who is born of the Spirit.” John 3:5-8 (NASB)

“απεκριθη ιησους αμην αμην λεγω σοι εαν μη τις γεννηθη εξ υδατος και πνευματος ου δυναται εισελθειν εις την βασιλειαν των ουρανων το γεγεννημενον εκ της σαρκος σαρξ εστιν και το γεγεννημενον εκ του πνευματος πνευμα εστιν μη θαυμασης οτι ειπον σοι δει υμας γεννηθηναι ανωθεν το πνευμα οπου θελει πνει και την φωνην αυτου ακουεις αλλ ουκ οιδας ποθεν ερχεται και που υπαγει ουτως εστιν πας ο γεγεννημενος εκ του πνευματος” John 3:5-8 Novum Testamentum Graece.

Jesus has told us plainly; ‘That which is of the flesh, is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit, is spirit’ (John 3:5). Having once been born of the flesh according to the will of the flesh, we express the life of the flesh. Likewise, having been once born again of the Spirit, according to the will of God, so we also possess a renewed spirit.

The five keywords that we are seeking to understand from John 3:5-8

Are:

water – born – flesh – spirit – Spirit

The Greek says for water in John chapter 3: 5-8, υδατος, which comes from the root hudor (ὕδωρ). It is used in several ways, but it is always literally representative of the elemental substance, water. The English word hydro comes from the Greek root. Contextually it may be used to denote the fact that whilst still in the womb we were sustained by water. In a similar sense, the physical heart is surrounded by amniotic fluid, so we see that when the Lord was pierced, blood and water (John 19:34) flowed through the wound, speaking that His amniotic sack had been pierced to pierce His heart for our sakes. It is also used in the context of the Lord's baptism with water, by John. It is the same elemental water which was used when we were baptised with water after we believed.

There are five references to being born in this passage from John chapter 3: 5-8. The 1st (v5) γεννηθη, comes from the root gennao (γεννάω), and means is born. The 2nd (v6 i) γεγεννημενον, is what is born. The 3rd (v6 ii) is also γεγεννημενον. The 4th (v7) is γεννηθηναι and means to be born. Finally, the 5th (v8) is γεγεννημενος, translated, who is born. All of these usages are derived from the root with morphological variants, which being semantically implicit in English usage, are not necessarily carried in the English translation. The root, however, is gennao (γεννάω) and means to beget. In this passage, the semantic domain is carried in the term, genesis, and alludes to the beginning of something as well as something after the likeness of its beginning. This does, of course apply to individuals, but its contextual and semantic emphasis means that we could say, all humanity is of the flesh of Adam, but to enter the kingdom of God a man also needs to be born of the Spirit of God.

There are two references to the word flesh in verse six. The first usage (v6 i) is σαρκος, which comes from the root word sarx (σάρξ). The second usage (v6 ii) is the root σάρξ itself. Although the word sarx (σάρξ) is used to denote the physical body, it is also used morphologically (v6 i) to denote the likeness of flesh. This is the first usage here and semantically carries not only an implication of the physiology of the body (v6 ii) but the very nature of a man (v6 i). So that a literal translation of this verse would be that which is of fleshy Adam is flesh after Adam's flesh.

Just as the word flesh is used flesh begotten of flesh, so the word spirit is used in this same way.

There are four references to the word Spirit/spirit. The first is πνευματος and comes from the word pneuma (πνευμ̂α). This first reference (v6 i) speaks of the Holy Spirit. The second usage is πνευμα, which in English would simply read spirit (v6 ii). In a prepositional form, this would be written: to be spirit. The Greek says, πνευματος πνευμα εστιν and would be translated Spirit, spirit to be. To make rational sense of this one would have to give the greek and the literal translation as follows: το γεγεννημενον εκ της σαρκος σαρξ εστιν και το γεγεννημενον εκ του πνευματος πνευμα εστιν (v6) "what is born of the flesh, flesh is, and what is born of the Spirit, spirit is" (v6 i & ii). The third (v6 iii) reference, to spirit, is πνευματος. This is the same as (v6 i) in meaning and speaks of the Holy Spirit. The fourth usage is also πνευματος (v8), and that too speaks of the Holy Spirit.

NBLC (The Marshes) Canonical

Contextually it may be used to denote the fact that whilst still in the womb we were sustained by water.

Yes sir.

Born of water is a reference to natural birth, as differing from spiritual birth.

Jesus used natural birth, (earthly things) to teach Nicodemus about spiritual birth, (heavenly things).

That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. John 3:6

If I have told you earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you heavenly things? John 3:12

JLB

“There came a man sent from God, whose name was John. He came as a witness, to testify about the Light so that all might believe through him. He was not the Light, but he came to testify about the Light. There was the true Light which, coming into the world, enlightens every man. He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him. He came to His own, and those who were His own did not receive Him. But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.” (John 1:6-13 NASB).

In this passage from John, being saved is expressed as, “the right to become the children of God,” and it is the same in meaning as that which we all agree with when we speak of being born again. The word right in this passage is exousia (ἐξουσία). The English word, excused, from excūsare (Latin: meaning to be removed from an accusation) carries a similar meaning. We could say, “I needed to be excused in order to believe.”

It could also in the context of the passage itself, be expressed as, “I needed a reason to believe.” Or it could be said, “I needed the power to believe.” Or else it could be, “I needed light to believe”. Finally, it could be said, “I needed faith to believe.” In literal translation, the word exousia (ἐξουσία) means being given the right, ability and power to become something else. This something else is, to become “children of God”. Becoming the sons of God is by faith. And this means, “born of God.” Lastly, the qualifying condition to receive this power is to receive Christ Himself. There is no doubt therefore, that becoming the children of God means to be born from on high, or else to be born again of the Spirit of God. There is also no doubt that the thing that makes this possible is receiving Jesus. Receiving Jesus results in being given power, and that power is faith to believe in Jesus name, resulting in being born of God. In all of this no one could reasonably deny that we are “justified by faith” and “saved by grace.” So by the Scriptures alone we can establish that the ground for salvation is receiving Christ Himself. And if we receive Christ, we must also receive all that which proceeds from Him.

Thereto we are faced with a sudden and serious difficulty when we examine the words of Christ in another place.

““If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me. “For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. “For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? “For the Son of Man is going to come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and will then repay every man according to his deeds.” Matthew 16:24-27 NASB).

“τοτε ο ιησους ειπεν τοις μαθηταις αυτου ει τις θελει οπισω μου ελθειν απαρνησασθω εαυτον και αρατω τον σταυρον αυτου και ακολουθειτω μοι ος γαρ εαν θελη την ψυχην αυτου σωσαι απολεσει αυτην ος δ αν απολεση την ψυχην αυτου ενεκεν εμου ευρησει αυτην τι γαρ ωφεληθησεται ανθρωπος εαν τον κοσμον ολον κερδηση την δε ψυχην αυτου ζημιωθη η τι δωσει ανθρωπος ανταλλαγμα της ψυχης αυτου μελλει γαρ ο υιος του ανθρωπου ερχεσθαι εν τη δοξη του πατρος αυτου μετα των αγγελων αυτου και τοτε αποδωσει εκαστω κατα την πραξιν αυτου” (Matthew 16:24-27). Novum Testamentum Graece.

The word life in verse 25 is the Greek ψυχην, transliterated psychén, and translated life. The word soul in verse 26 are the Greek words ψυχην and ψυχης, as in, “κερδηση την δε ψυχην αυτου ζημιωθη η τι δωσει ανθρωπος ανταλλαγμα της ψυχης αυτου μελλει.” Transliterated psychén and psychés respectively. They are both translated soul.

In genesis 2:7 we read, “And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and man became a living soul.

If we refer to the Septuagint (the Greek Old Testament) we can say, the word πνει (to blow) is from the same root as the word pnoe (πνοή) of which the word πνοὴν used in Genesis 2:7, is translated blew. As the English translation is breath of life, and makes reference to “and man became a living soul” (Genesis 2:7), so in John 3:8 the word wind, which “blows where it will” is the Greek πνευμα, denoting spiritual life, or the giving of spiritual life. When Jesus tells men that they must lose their lives in order to find their lives, He is speaking of the soul, and not the spirit. The word save in verse 25 is σωσαι from the root word sozo (σώζω). This word literally means to preserve one’s soul.

The word lose in verse 25 is απολεση and comes from the root apollumi (ἀπόλλυμι). The term is a simple, expressive form that speaks of the soul’s suffering when it sets itself to serving Christ fully because that obedience is predicated on a willingness to deny oneself. It also alludes to the fact that the soul takes its comfort from the body itself, being in such an ordinary condition of imprisonment to the lusts of the flesh, and therefore to go the same way that Christ chose to go, is to go the way of personal suffering for the sake of the Kingdom of Heaven. In short, it means, deny yourself and choose the way of the cross as Christ did.

The word find in verse 25 is εὑρίσκω and is transliterated heuriskó. In the simplest sense, finding something can either mean, to come upon a thing, by looking for it and in context means, “seek first the Kingdom of Heaven.” Or it may mean to indulge in something desired. In this instance, of the Lord’s words, find, carries both of these meanings. On the one hand, it means coming upon the pearl of great price, as a coming upon the kingdom. This is both now, inwardly, and in the future, when Christ returns. On the other hand, finding yourself now means fulfilling your own desires and refusing the cross.

Men and women cannot be more benefitted in life than to be born again unto a living hope, and sure faith. This benefit is chiefly unto eternal life and is a spiritual possession The soul however, is the thing that benefits chiefly through false teachings that express a supposed purpose of God in personal gratification as a basis for serving Christ, by whatsoever means; and it is clear that to take such a view of God’s will, is to take a wholly contrary opinion to Christ. As Christ cannot contradict the Father, then we can say that those who press such teachings are turning men from following Christ, unto their own selves.

Rhomphaeam

Last edited:
““If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me. “For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. “For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? “For the Son of Man is going to come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and will then repay every man according to his deeds.” Matthew 16:24-27 NASB).

“τοτε ο ιησους ειπεν τοις μαθηταις αυτου ει τις θελει οπισω μου ελθειν απαρνησασθω εαυτον και αρατω τον σταυρον αυτου και ακολουθειτω μοι ος γαρ εαν θελη την ψυχην αυτου σωσαι απολεσει αυτην ος δ αν απολεση την ψυχην αυτου ενεκεν εμου ευρησει αυτην τι γαρ ωφεληθησεται ανθρωπος εαν τον κοσμον ολον κερδηση την δε ψυχην αυτου ζημιωθη η τι δωσει ανθρωπος ανταλλαγμα της ψυχης αυτου μελλει γαρ ο υιος του ανθρωπου ερχεσθαι εν τη δοξη του πατρος αυτου μετα των αγγελων αυτου και τοτε αποδωσει εκαστω κατα την πραξιν αυτου” (Matthew 16:24-27). Novum Testamentum Graece.

The word life in verse 25 is the Greek ψυχην, transliterated psychén, and translated life. The word soul in verse 26 are the Greek words ψυχην and ψυχης, as in, “κερδηση την δε ψυχην αυτου ζημιωθη η τι δωσει ανθρωπος ανταλλαγμα της ψυχης αυτου μελλει.” Transliterated psychén and psychés respectively. They are both translated soul.

In trying to explore the emphasis on choosing in Matthew 16:24-27.

The Greek says, thelo (θέλω), for wishes and means to will or to desire something. This primarily speaks about a reasonable desire to do something that is right. In context it speaks about a proper response to the gospel itself, and qualifies or proves what follows on from saving faith. The godly desire to follow Christ, while sound in itself is conditional on denying oneself. This is not boulomai (βούλομαι), a determined will to follow Christ. Nor is it zeloo (ζηλόω), to have zeal to follow Christ. Neither is it, speudo (σπεύδω), to earnestly desire to follow Christ. Nor yet, aiteo (αἰτέω), to ask to follow Christ. It is a simple injunction of the Lord to take account of the true cost of discipleship and the only basis for obedience.

“He who loves his life loses it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it to life eternal. “If anyone serves Me, he must follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also; if anyone serves Me, the Father will honour him.” (John 12:25-26),

It is out of that meaning where this issue of choosing or choice arises when utilising the Scripture to say that salvation or believing the Gospel is a matter of choosing Christ. And whilst that precept is heretical if that leads to a works based salvation, the issue of choosing (wishing or desiring) to take up ones own cross is a mater of true choice. In many regards I believe that the precept of choosing Christ is mitigated in most believers lives by our realising that Christ first chose us. But having chosen us we must then choose obedience to Christ - And that means the cross daily.

As far as I have been able to deduce over the many years of ministering to brethren in the churches, the most common problem is not expressing a living faith into Christ, but expressing the life of Christ in our lives. And I think we do that simply because we do not easily understand that salvation is broader and fuller than we believe it to be. Yet to get at the breadth of its meaning we have to understand its narrow way in the first instance. Both the narrow way and the broader obedience, having received a gift of faith unto eternal life, are expressed in the cross of Christ. They both point to death of Christ in the shedding of His blood for sin, with His resurrection following on, and they both need to stay together by walking in newness of life. If not then when the Lord returns He will make the separation Himself.

The question then becomes - what is salvation?

Rhomphaeam

Last edited:
Probably knew it better then our 'scholars' today.

Yet...they crucified the Lord of glory.

Quantrill

In reading the parables, as presented by the Lord in Mathew chapter thirteen, beginning with the parable of the sower through to the parable of the net (13:1-52), we see that just before this passage, Jesus makes a public separation, concerning His mother, brothers and sisters. The fullness of this separation is according to a prophecy of Isaiah 6:9-12. The means by which this separation is achieved is by speaking parables (Matthew 13:13 & 13:35). Are you familiar with this prophecy in Isaiah?

In reading the parables, as presented by the Lord in Mathew chapter thirteen, beginning with the parable of the sower through to the parable of the net (13:1-52), we see that just before this passage, Jesus makes a public separation, concerning His mother, brothers and sisters. The fullness of this separation is according to a prophecy of Isaiah 6:9-12. The means by which this separation is achieved is by speaking parables (Matthew 13:13 & 13:35). Are you familiar with this prophecy in Isaiah?

These parables were given as a result of the rejection of Jesus Christ by Israel. (Matt. 12:24-50) (Matt. 13:10-11)

In other words, the knowledge of the Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic, changed nothing as to one's acceptance of Christ as the Messiah, the Son of God. They spoke all those fluently, yet missed Him....and crucified Him.

Quantrill

These parables were given as a result of the rejection of Jesus Christ by Israel. (Matt. 12:24-50) (Matt. 13:10-11)

In other words, the knowledge of the Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic, changed nothing as to one's acceptance of Christ as the Messiah, the Son of God. They spoke all those fluently, yet missed Him....and crucified Him.

Quantrill

The parables were given as a consequence of the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit by the Pharisees. Even the disciples were confused by the Lord beginning to speak in parables.

“And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables? And he answered and said unto them, Unto you, it is given to know the mysteries of the Kingdom of Heaven, but to them, it is not given. For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that which he hath. Therefore speak I to them in parables; because seeing they see not, and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand. And unto them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall in no wise understand; And seeing ye shall see, and shall in no wise perceive: For this people’s heart is waxed gross, And their ears are dull of hearing, And their eyes they have closed; Lest haply they should perceive with their eyes, And hear with their ears, And understand with their heart, And should turn again, And I should heal them. But blessed are your eyes, for they see; and your ears, for they hear. For verily I say unto you, that many prophets and righteous men desired to see the things which ye see, and saw them not; and to hear the things which ye hear, and heard them not.” Mathew 13:10-17

We know that the meaning of the parable of the sower is how the hearer received the Gospel of the kingdom, as well as the outcome (Mark 4:3-8). So when Jesus says to the disciples that “to him who has, much more will be given, and from him that has not, even that which he has will be taken away,” He is talking about a heart that hears and receives the gospel of the kingdom. It has to be recognised that the resurrection was not yet revealed, and would not be comprehended until after the resurrection itself. More fully the gospel of the grace of God through Jesus Christ, risen from the dead, was not yet fully comprehended until Paul (2 Timothy 2:8). It was to Paul that the Gospel of grace was delivered, out of season, both for the Jew first and then to the Gentile also.

Therein lies a true spirit - Jew first and then Gentile.

Israel received through Christ Himself, both forgiveness of sins, where it was sought, as well as all the benefits of having Messiah present with them. This included raising the dead, casting out unclean spirits, healing the sick and forgiveness of sin. Yet this was the Gospel of the kingdom and was not yet the Gospel of Grace as preached by the apostle Paul. It was that which came through The Law and the Prophets, even Christ. It has to be said that the gospel of the kingdom does speak of the grace of God through Christ Jesus, because Christ was crucified from before the foundation of the world as far as the eternal knowledge of God is concerned. Yet the gospel of the kingdom was first preached while Christ was yet in the flesh. It is only after the Lord’s death and resurrection that Christ became a life-giving spirit. We see this in the Scripture which speaks, “The first man, Adam, became a living soul. The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.” (1 Corinthians 15:45). It is only after the Lord’s death and resurrection that there would be a new covenant written in Christ’s own blood, and this would herald the Gospel of Grace.

This parable of the sower has been presented as pertaining to the Gospel of Grace, yet this contradicts the very words of the Lord Himself and the reason why He began to speak in parables at this time. The gospel of the kingdom which John the baptist proclaimed, could not fully become the gospel of grace until Christ Himself had fulfilled all the righteous demands of the Law. In strict adherence to the circumstance in which the Lord began to speak in parables, it is necessary to understand both the parable as well as the explanation in its context first. If we cannot comprehend this, we may never truly understand the Scriptures. Moreover, we will never understand the coming kingdom.

Do you read and speak Hebrew and Aramaic or Greek? Then comprehend that neither were you present when Christ walked in Israel. You came by grace not Law. Both are prophetically given - though the apostles saw Christ with their own eyes and the prophets of old longed to understand what they were speaking of - yet you came by grace. Language is not the issue at all. It is a mere means of opening up meanings that are lost when men will not walk in the Spirit. Thats all.

Rhomphaeam

The parables were given as a consequence of the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit by the Pharisees. Even the disciples were confused by the Lord beginning to speak in parables.

“And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables? And he answered and said unto them, Unto you, it is given to know the mysteries of the Kingdom of Heaven, but to them, it is not given. For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that which he hath. Therefore speak I to them in parables; because seeing they see not, and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand. And unto them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall in no wise understand; And seeing ye shall see, and shall in no wise perceive: For this people’s heart is waxed gross, And their ears are dull of hearing, And their eyes they have closed; Lest haply they should perceive with their eyes, And hear with their ears, And understand with their heart, And should turn again, And I should heal them. But blessed are your eyes, for they see; and your ears, for they hear. For verily I say unto you, that many prophets and righteous men desired to see the things which ye see, and saw them not; and to hear the things which ye hear, and heard them not.” Mathew 13:10-17

We know that the meaning of the parable of the sower is how the hearer received the Gospel of the kingdom, as well as the outcome (Mark 4:3-8). So when Jesus says to the disciples that “to him who has, much more will be given, and from him that has not, even that which he has will be taken away,” He is talking about a heart that hears and receives the gospel of the kingdom. It has to be recognised that the resurrection was not yet revealed, and would not be comprehended until after the resurrection itself. More fully the gospel of the grace of God through Jesus Christ, risen from the dead, was not yet fully comprehended until Paul (2 Timothy 2:8). It was to Paul that the Gospel of grace was delivered, out of season, both for the Jew first and then to the Gentile also.

Therein lies a true spirit - Jew first and then Gentile.

Israel received through Christ Himself, both forgiveness of sins, where it was sought, as well as all the benefits of having Messiah present with them. This included raising the dead, casting out unclean spirits, healing the sick and forgiveness of sin. Yet this was the Gospel of the kingdom and was not yet the Gospel of Grace as preached by the apostle Paul. It was that which came through The Law and the Prophets, even Christ. It has to be said that the gospel of the kingdom does speak of the grace of God through Christ Jesus, because Christ was crucified from before the foundation of the world as far as the eternal knowledge of God is concerned. Yet the gospel of the kingdom was first preached while Christ was yet in the flesh. It is only after the Lord’s death and resurrection that Christ became a life-giving spirit. We see this in the Scripture which speaks, “The first man, Adam, became a living soul. The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.” (1 Corinthians 15:45). It is only after the Lord’s death and resurrection that there would be a new covenant written in Christ’s own blood, and this would herald the Gospel of Grace.

This parable of the sower has been presented as pertaining to the Gospel of Grace, yet this contradicts the very words of the Lord Himself and the reason why He began to speak in parables at this time. The gospel of the kingdom which John the baptist proclaimed, could not fully become the gospel of grace until Christ Himself had fulfilled all the righteous demands of the Law. In strict adherence to the circumstance in which the Lord began to speak in parables, it is necessary to understand both the parable as well as the explanation in its context first. If we cannot comprehend this, we may never truly understand the Scriptures. Moreover, we will never understand the coming kingdom.

Do you read and speak Hebrew and Aramaic or Greek? Then comprehend that neither were you present when Christ walked in Israel. You came by grace not Law. Both are prophetically given - though the apostles saw Christ with their own eyes and the prophets of old longed to understand what they were speaking of - yet you came by grace. Language is not the issue at all. It is a mere means of opening up meanings that are lost when men will not walk in the Spirit. Thats all.

Rhomphaeam

No, I don't read Hebrew, Greek, or Aramaic. Again, my point was that those in Christ's day did. And they rejected Him and crucified Him.

So much for the 'importance' of the Hebrew and Greek to reveal Christ to one.

In other words, you produce much of these languages as if that itself reveals God and Christ to one. But it doesn't. The Jews today know Hebrew perfectly. Hasn't helped them one bit.

The Jews in Christ's day knew it all, and yet crucified Him.

Quantrill

No, I don't read Hebrew, Greek, or Aramaic. Again, my point was that those in Christ's day did. And they rejected Him and crucified Him.

So much for the 'importance' of the Hebrew and Greek to reveal Christ to one.

In other words, you produce much of these languages as if that itself reveals God and Christ to one. But it doesn't. The Jews today know Hebrew perfectly. Hasn't helped them one bit.

The Jews in Christ's day knew it all, and yet crucified Him.

Quantrill

Well I suppose that what you are saying is at least in a partial sense self evident. And yet most of the Jews in Christ; day were blinded by the Father so that they could not see. What do you think the prophecy in Isaiah says? You seem to miss that you wouldn't know that Israel rejected their King were it not that it was written in Greek first. So how can reading the Greek be a stumbling block? Have you read what I have written or asked yourself why anyone would take the time to write in this way?

I desire for you and all others in Christ no less than I desire for myself. And that particular element of writing was written nearly forty years ago when I was disturbed by something a sister said in a youth meeting. So I had to go and find out why. I couldn't just be disturbed and not settle the matter - whereas I have just woken up after three hours sleep having had a dream about a city - and myself with others being under an armoured tank for cover from an enemy seeking to murder the city dwellers and then standing at a bar in the city being told that we each had to buy our drinks individually - that we could not buy one another drinks. And yet the entire bar was filled with people laughing and having fun. That seems quite disturbing too. The difference is that when I have finished this - I will be going back to sleep. And tomorrow I may remember just how much the dream speaks to the condition of many believers because I wrote it down first.

Shalom
Rhomphaeam

Well I suppose that what you are saying is at least in a partial sense self evident. And yet most of the Jews in Christ; day were blinded by the Father so that they could not see. What do you think the prophecy in Isaiah says? You seem to miss that you wouldn't know that Israel rejected their King were it not that it was written in Greek first. So how can reading the Greek be a stumbling block? Have you read what I have written or asked yourself why anyone would take the time to write in this way?

I desire for you and all others in Christ no less than I desire for myself. And that particular element of writing was written nearly forty years ago when I was disturbed by something a sister said in a youth meeting. So I had to go and find out why. I couldn't just be disturbed and not settle the matter - whereas I have just woken up after three hours sleep having had a dream about a city - and myself with others being under an armoured tank for cover from an enemy seeking to murder the city dwellers and then standing at a bar in the city being told that we each had to buy our drinks individually - that we could not buy one another drinks. And yet the entire bar was filled with people laughing and having fun. That seems quite disturbing too. The difference is that when I have finished this - I will be going back to sleep. And tomorrow I may remember just how much the dream speaks to the condition of many believers because I wrote it down first.

Shalom
Rhomphaeam

And most all Jews today are also blinded. They know the language, yet as a nation still reject Jesus Christ.

I never said reading the Greek is a stumbling block. But, neither is not being able to read it a stumbling block. Our Bible has been translated.

If you post several verses in Hebrew or Greek, you know what they mean to me? Nothing. I can't read it.

Nothing wrong with knowing and using the Hebrew and Greek. But many fall into the trap that if I know that then I know God. I know what God has said. And that isn't so. You can know the language perfectly and miss both God and what He said.

Quantrill

JLB

I just noticed I am in a section I shouldn't be in. I never inquired about it. I just responded to a post. If it is a problem, then feel free to move me out.

Quantrill

And most all Jews today are also blinded. They know the language, yet as a nation still reject Jesus Christ.

I never said reading the Greek is a stumbling block. But, neither is not being able to read it a stumbling block. Our Bible has been translated.

If you post several verses in Hebrew or Greek, you know what they mean to me? Nothing. I can't read it.

Nothing wrong with knowing and using the Hebrew and Greek. But many fall into the trap that if I know that then I know God. I know what God has said. And that isn't so. You can know the language perfectly and miss both God and what He said.

Quantrill

Brother this entire OP is a parse of Greek text. Every Greek verse and term is translated and stated explicitly and precisely to explain to the English reader what is said in the original extant greek manuscript. There are no claims to knowing God - no boasts and no cause of offence or reason to suppose that I am saying that reading the original language makes for knowing God. You are imputing meanings that are not there.

What is there is a wakeup call to what salvation means and not simply a being born again which is often what believers hold to. My heart brother is to see every believer walking in victory and knowing our entire salvation. Amen brother.

The question then becomes - what is salvation?

Salvation - Strongs G4991 - sōtēria ; NOUN

The KJV translates Strong's G4991 in the following manner:salvation (40x), the (one) be saved (1x), deliver (with G1325) (1x), health(1x), saving (1x), that (one) be saved (with G1519) (1x).
Outline of Biblical Usage [?]
  1. deliverance, preservation, safety, salvation
    1. deliverance from the molestation of enemies
    2. in an ethical sense, that which concludes to the soul's safety or salvation
      1. of Messianic salvation
  2. salvation as the present possession of all true Christians
  3. future salvation, the sum of benefits and blessings which the Christians, redeemed from all earthly ills, will enjoy after the visible return of Christ from heaven in the consummated and eternal kingdom of God.

• The eternal preservation of our entire being, spirit, soul, and body, from all enemies, including death.
  • The saving, delivering and rescuing of our entire being from the wrath of God, which is the second death, the lake of fire.

For God did not appoint us to wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, 1 Thessalonians 5:9

Saved - Strongs G4982 - sōzō ; VERB

The KJV translates Strong's G4982 in the following manner: save(93x), make whole (9x), heal (3x), be whole (2x), miscellaneous (3x).
  1. to save, keep safe and sound, to rescue from danger or destruction
    1. one (from injury or peril)
      1. to save a suffering one (from perishing), i.e. one suffering from disease, to make well, heal, restore to health
      2. to preserve one who is in danger of destruction, to save or rescue
    2. to save in the technical biblical sense
      1. negatively
        1. to deliver from the penalties of the Messianic judgment
        2. to save from the evils which obstruct the reception of the Messianic deliverance

Though a different word from salvation (sōtēria), saved (sozo), is used in the same way. Salvation is what we receive, (noun), as an end result of what Jesus did for us on the cross, being that He saved (verb) us, continues to save us, as we continue to believe, and continue in the faith.

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him. For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life. Romans 5:8-10

Therefore the same definition applies:

Saved -
  • The eternal preservation of our entire being, spirit, soul, and body, from all enemies, including death.
  • The saving, delivering and rescuing of our entire being from the wrath of God, which is the second death, the lake of fire.

JLB

Salvation - Strongs G4991 - sōtēria ; NOUN

The KJV translates Strong's G4991 in the following manner:salvation (40x), the (one) be saved (1x), deliver (with G1325) (1x), health(1x), saving (1x), that (one) be saved (with G1519) (1x).
  1. deliverance, preservation, safety, salvation
    1. deliverance from the molestation of enemies
    2. in an ethical sense, that which concludes to the soul's safety or salvation
      1. of Messianic salvation
  2. salvation as the present possession of all true Christians
  3. future salvation, the sum of benefits and blessings which the Christians, redeemed from all earthly ills, will enjoy after the visible return of Christ from heaven in the consummated and eternal kingdom of God.

For God did not appoint us to wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, 1 Thessalonians 5:9

Saved - Strongs G4982 - sōzō ; VERB

The KJV translates Strong's G4982 in the following manner: save(93x), make whole (9x), heal (3x), be whole (2x), miscellaneous (3x).
  1. to save, keep safe and sound, to rescue from danger or destruction
    1. one (from injury or peril)
      1. to save a suffering one (from perishing), i.e. one suffering from disease, to make well, heal, restore to health
      2. to preserve one who is in danger of destruction, to save or rescue
    2. to save in the technical biblical sense
      1. negatively
        1. to deliver from the penalties of the Messianic judgment
        2. to save from the evils which obstruct the reception of the Messianic deliverance

Though a different word from salvation (sōtēria), saved (sozo), is used in the same way. Salvation is what we receive, (noun), as an end result of what Jesus did for us on the cross, being that He saved (verb) us, continues to save us, as we continue to believe, and continue in the faith.

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him. For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life. Romans 5:8-10

Therefore the same definition applies:

Saved -

JLB

This is where I begin when speaking of Salvation. I read the link in your comment and wonder why you are so against exposition of lexical terms! Albeit that when I began to study Hebrew and Greek in the early 1980's I found that the same inclination existed then in almost everyone who read what I was writing. The first element of this OP was written then and what astonished me was the reluctance to understand that salvation is not a lexical thing - it is Christ Himself. It does seem extraordinary that as believers we sense the grace of God when we fall and stumble and then after a short while we need to seek the Lord and find forgiveness by finding the Lord again - And yet despite knowing that it is the Lord in our hearts by the Holy Spirit that gives us comfort - we seem to find no deliverance.

Despite this need for the Lord to comfort us by the Holy Spirit we seem to find it difficult to realise that lexical terms - even though they are important to devise a means to provoke godly thought - do not of themselves produce obedience. The distinction seems to be a failure to lay hold of the prophetic substance of the word of God along side the lexical form. But your lexical presentation does grasp the breadth of Salvation in its direction of the need of man to be saved spirit, soul and body - along side the provision of the Father to so save men. Therefore, given that we know that the spirit is saved by being born from on High by the Holy Spirit and that the body is to be saved in resurrection - what of the soul? How is the soul saved?

This is where I begin to establish that the Lord is Salvation in order answer that question of our souls.

Assemble yourselves that I may tell you what will befall you in the days to come. Gather together and hear, O sons of Jacob; And listen to Israel your father.” This is the first time in the Scriptures that salvation by God is made direct reference to.

The Hebrew says לִֽישׁוּעָתְךָ֖ קִוִּ֥יתִי יְהוָֽה׃ Gen 49:18

לִֽישׁוּעָתְךָ֖ קִוִּ֥יתִי יְהוָֽה׃ (v18)

(v18) I have waited for thy salvation, O Lord.

The word ישׁוּעָתְ is used in speaking of God’s deliverance.

yeshu’sh (יְשׁוּעָה) or יְשׁוּעָה (yâshuwʿah) from yasha (יָשַׁע,)

This same deliverance of God is used in other passages of Scripture, but here in this verse, this is the first time the word is used. It is the same in meaning as God is my deliverer. The Hebrew word ישׁוּעָתְ, employed in Exodus 17:9 וַיֹּ֨אמֶר מֹשֶׁ֤ה אֶל־יְהוֹשֻׁ֙עַ֙ בְּחַר־לָ֣נוּ, is translated, Joshua. The Greek name Iesous (Ιησου̂ς) [Jesus] is a transliteration of the Hebrew name, Joshua, meaning, Jehovah is salvation. Literally, Saviour.

As it is written, “She will bear a Son; and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.” (Matthew 1:21 NASB).

Now Lord, You are releasing Your bond-servant to depart in peace, According to Your word; For my eyes have seen Your salvation, Which You have prepared in the presence of all peoples. (Luke 2:29-31 NASB)

Last edited:
The first element of this OP was written then and what astonished me was the reluctance to understand that salvation is not a lexical thing - it is Christ Himself.

Amen!

Salvation surely is Christ Himself; the Person of Jesus Christ

He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. 1 John 5:12

JLB

Despite this need for the Lord to comfort us by the Holy Spirit we seem to find it difficult to realise that lexical terms - even though they are important to devise a means to provoke godly thought - do not of themselves produce obedience.

Well said. :salute

The Holy Spirit empowers us to obey; the Spirit of grace

Grace is the God given ability, freely given to us, that enables us to do what we can not do without it; obey the Lord.

Therefore, brethren, we are debtors—not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.
Romans 8:12-14

• For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.

JLB

The Greek says for water in John chapter 3: 5-8, υδατος, which comes from the root hudor (ὕδωρ). It is used in several ways, but it is always literally representative of the elemental substance, water. The English word hydro comes from the Greek root. Contextually it may be used to denote the fact that whilst still in the womb we were sustained by water. In a similar sense, the physical heart is surrounded by amniotic fluid, so we see that when the Lord was pierced, blood and water (John 19:34) flowed through the wound, speaking that His amniotic sack had been pierced to pierce His heart for our sakes. It is also used in the context of the Lord's baptism with water, by John. It is the same elemental water which was used when we were baptised with water after we believed.
I see the word "water" in John 3:5 as meaning living word, as being born of the word (faith comes by hearing) and the Spirit who teaches us the word of God.

John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

1 John 5:5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God? 6 This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth. 7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

If you compare John 3:5 with 1 John 5:5-8 water means word as in the word being the living water (John 4:9-15) as in the Father, the word (living water Jesus) and the Holy Spirit. The three that bear witness is Holy Spirit, Gods living word, and the blood of Jesus who made atonement for sin that we can be reconciled back to the Father.

Everything from Genesis 1:1 to Revelation 22:21 is all Gods word and Holy Spirit dwelling in or falling on and come to Earth in the form of a man in Christ Jesus. It's all Gods grace freely given to all who will believe in that faith that is Christ Jesus as He spoke Gods word (John 12:44-50 living water) and the Prophets and Apostles wrote and testified of what Jesus taught verbally.

It's Gods word that we are made righteous through Him, sanctified, justified and made Holy before Him. No dirty river water can save us, but is only an outward appearance to others that we have been washed clean (made righteous before God) by the blood of the Lamb and the renewing through the Holy Spirit.

The Jerusalem Bible
1 John 5:6 Jesus Christ who came by water and blood, not with water only, but with water and blood with the Spirit as another witness since the Spirit is truth 7 so that there are three witnesses, 8 the Spirit, the water, and the blood and all three of them agree

KJV
1 John 5:6 This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth. 7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. 8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

Literal water has nothing to do with salvation as Jesus came by the foretold word of the Prophets, sent by the Father, and signified by the Holy Spirit that lighted upon Him during John's water baptism for the remission of sins, Matthew 3:11-17. Three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, the water (word) and the blood. Three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word and the Holy Ghost.

The more I think about "born again" Nicodemus had no understanding as even many today would ask the same question "How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?"

Jesus goes on to tell him "Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit."
Ephesians 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,

Paul understood it was not by water baptism (BTW baptism is not mentioned in John 3:5), but by the word of God that we are sanctified, which means set apart and made holy. We being the church of God have been made clean by His word as we are washed in the blood of the Lamb.

Titus 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; 6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; 7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

1 Peter 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

Again Paul and also Peter gives us the understanding that being born again/born from above is not by actual water which would be a work of our own righteousness, but regeneration (new Spiritual life) that comes by God's mercy through His spoken word and Spirit (Holy Spirit).

IMO it doesn't matter if we say born again or born from above, but that we understand it is by God's grace through faith, which is Christ Jesus and His finished works on the cross that we are cleansed by the blood of the Lamb and our spirit renewed by the very Spirit of God, (Holy Spirit)

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Per the conversation Nicodemus and Jesus were discussing in John 3:9, 10 here are a few more OT verses that parallel being born again that Nicodemus should have known, but probably not emphasized as much since Jesus had to explain it to him.

1 Samuel 10:6 And the spirit of the LORD will come upon thee, and thou shalt prophesy with them, and shalt be turned into another man.

Job 15:14 What is man, that he should be clean? and he which is born of a woman, that he should be righteous?

Job 25: 4 How then can man be justified with God? or how can he be clean that is born of a woman?

Ezekiel 11:19 And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh: 20 That they may walk in my statutes, and keep mine ordinances, and do them: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God.

There are around 1526 instances of living water in the Bible. Here are some verses on living water being the word. John 4:4-26; 7:37-39; 12:44-50; Ephesians 5:26; 1 John 5:5-8; Jeremiah 17:13; Zechariah 14:8, 9; Rev 21:6-8; Ezekiel 47:22

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back